Nobody Does Being Stranded Among the Dead Better than Luigi

HomeHome  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Movies 2: Electric Boogaloo

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 21, 22, 23
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
I'M EVEN LONELIER
Balladeer

Movies 2: Electric Boogaloo - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Movies 2: Electric Boogaloo   Movies 2: Electric Boogaloo - Page 23 EmptyThu 17 Oct 2019 - 19:47

Drunkalilly wrote:
As for Summer Wars, have I mentioned that here yet? It's from the director of Digimon The Movie, and is set in Ueda: the next town over from me, where Matt lives. We're definitely doing a podcast on it eventually!

Don't think so, but I'd definitely listen to that! Really liked it a lot. Grin Link it up here when you do it.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Movies 2: Electric Boogaloo   Movies 2: Electric Boogaloo - Page 23 EmptyFri 1 Nov 2019 - 19:41

Just finished rewatching The Terminator for the first time in over a decade.  And wow, my nostalgia actually stacked up.  Shocked

Seriously the movie stands up even today.  A few meh special effects here and there (mostly the full-body shots of the Terminator skeleton near the end), but otherwise visually damn solid stuff.  Sure enough practical effects and props >>>>>>>> cgi.  The factory sequence is still f***ing terrifying.

Pretty tightly written too.  No major issues with the script, and even some neat details like how it needs to be living tissue to time travel to tidy up why they could only send a terminator back.  

Speaking of which so many great details, like how Kyle is visibly left weak and in pain from the journey back in time from the machines time displacement machine vs the Terminator's obvious invulnerability.  Or how the terminator, when hijacking the truck, simply tells the codriver to get out rather than kill him because it's not mission related and quicker just to have him leave.   Little details like that may seem small, but it's the sort of thing that makes things believable.  

Now I'm even more excited to revisit T2 in a day or two.  If T1 aged this well. . . Grin
Back to top Go down
Drunkalilly
Centurion of Palutena
Drunkalilly

PostSubject: Re: Movies 2: Electric Boogaloo   Movies 2: Electric Boogaloo - Page 23 EmptySat 2 Nov 2019 - 0:08

The Summer Wars podcast is gonna be a while, as the area we wanted to visit and record in was pretty badly flood damaged Sad
On the other hand, I recently re-watched and recorded a podcast on The Terminator, which remains one of the all-time greats.

For Hallowee, Rob and I watched

リング
Ring
Movies 2: Electric Boogaloo - Page 23 Ringu

I never used to be all that interested in horror, but I'm getting more and more into it. Not slasher stuff and zombies, which I still find pretty boring, but creepy supernatural business. I'm loving reading Stephen King, Shen and I have been playing Project Zero and I always like learning about the creepy legends behind ghost Pokemon.

Ring is really bloody good. It has an excellently creepy and tense atmosphere, the characters act reasonably and the plot makes sense. What makes it so unique is that the entire film builds to one scare, with a constant build and release of tension. I'd love to have seen this without knowing the iconic scene in advance because it was seriously something special.

I also loved the surreal and creepy imagery in the video itself. You can easily see the line from that to modern creepypasta videos and stuff, with cursed youtube videos and game cartridges. Excellent stuff.

It also makes me kind of want to see the American one now, just to see if they pull it off. Somehow it just doesn't sound as good in my head when you replace Sadako with Samara . . .
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
I'M EVEN LONELIER
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Movies 2: Electric Boogaloo   Movies 2: Electric Boogaloo - Page 23 EmptyTue 5 Nov 2019 - 21:37

On the other end of the spectrum, I watched (well, was made to watch) Carry On Screaming at Hallowe'en. I liked the puns, I didn't like the innuendo - so basically exactly what you'd expect my reaction to be. Overall, though, I'd just got LM3 and it felt, and feels, like one and a half hours of my life I'll never get back.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Drunkalilly
Centurion of Palutena
Drunkalilly

PostSubject: Re: Movies 2: Electric Boogaloo   Movies 2: Electric Boogaloo - Page 23 EmptyWed 6 Nov 2019 - 14:30

I've never seen a full Carry On movie, and I never intend to.

I did start my road to Episode IX by watching the Phantom Menace.

Honestly? I still kind of enjoy watching this one. The sword fights are fun, the pod race is great and I like Qui Gon - although I'd forgotten the extent to which he's the lead of this film. Crazy.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
Disciple of Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Movies 2: Electric Boogaloo   Movies 2: Electric Boogaloo - Page 23 EmptyWed 6 Nov 2019 - 21:04

Watched Zombieland 2 a few weeks ago, which is more Zombieland that's either good or bad depending on your view.

This evening watched Terminator Dark Fate which is the third best Terminator movie but I still think Sarah Connor Chronicles is the best sequel to T2.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Movies 2: Electric Boogaloo   Movies 2: Electric Boogaloo - Page 23 EmptyThu 7 Nov 2019 - 21:30

The Carry on Films are in general an embarrassment - having said that, I actually quite like Carry on Screaming!
Back to top Go down
http://jimbobsonofriber.tumblr.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Movies 2: Electric Boogaloo   Movies 2: Electric Boogaloo - Page 23 Empty

Back to top Go down

Movies 2: Electric Boogaloo
Page 23 of 23Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 21, 22, 23