We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift

Go down 
+16
Treesmurf
The Cappuccino Kid
Katie Hopkins
shanks
gjones
Crumpy Andy
Athrun888
Jimbob
masofdas
Muss
NintenDUCK
The_Jaster
JayMoyles
ZeroJones
Balladeer
Buskalilly
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 28 ... 36  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 21 EmptyMon 5 Nov 2018 - 20:29

I'd think it be harder to find a TV without 4K now.

Hope DDP goes well for you, Jay.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 21 EmptyTue 6 Nov 2018 - 21:12

Thanks Mas! I picked up a proper yoga mat for this as my carpet was a smidge uncomfortable, so I'm going all in for this. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 21 EmptySun 11 Nov 2018 - 20:34

Most of the TVs I've seen seem to be 4K, and a fair chunk have HDR too. I still feel like its a bit of a minefield mind, TVs were much simpler when it was HD or no HD. I think I'll end up trying to snag a Samsung QLED TV. They're super bright and draw-droppingly gorgeous, if that means I have to earn a few more paychecks before I can comfortably afford one then so be it.

I used to do a "Get Buff with Buffy" workout: 1) Turn on Buffy the Vampire Slayer via Netflix. 2) Every time there's a fight scene, try to emulate Buffy. They canned Buffy from Netflix in 2017 so DDP's probably the better option. I hope it works out for you Jay, I got a free 30 day gym trial through work, and the gym is literally a 2 minute walk from my office, but after a 9-5 shift the thought of going to the gym isn't a sweet one so I only went three times. I'm lucky in that I'm a safe 10k round trip to work so I'm always doing more than 10,000 steps per day.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 21 EmptySun 11 Nov 2018 - 20:45

I don't think it's really changed that much as it used to be No HD or HD but Plasma or LCD.

Then it was HD or HD with 3D and do you active or passive.

Now it's HD or 4K, with a few more screen options like LCD, LED, QLED or OLED.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 21 EmptySun 11 Nov 2018 - 22:45

And hdr, and curved/standard, and lag times, and side lighting or backlighting and refresh rates...
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 21 EmptySun 11 Nov 2018 - 22:52

Some of those were things back 10 years ago but stuff you might not have cared about or were looking for then.

That's what I'm saying, when you truly look at TVs they can be complicated, maybe slightly more so now.

What I can tell you is HDR in my opinion is the big game changer, not 4K on a TV.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 21 EmptyMon 12 Nov 2018 - 17:40

Muss wrote:
I hope it works out for you Jay, I got a free 30 day gym trial through work, and the gym is literally a 2 minute walk from my office, but after a 9-5 shift the thought of going to the gym isn't a sweet one so I only went three times. I'm lucky in that I'm a safe 10k round trip to work so I'm always doing more than 10,000 steps per day.

Thanks Muss. Thumbs Up!

Yeah, part of what appeal to me about this yoga routine is that it seems to be reasonably quick to do as well - the longest session I've done is 35 minutes, which is something I can easily squeeze into my morning routine with no hassle.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 21 EmptyMon 12 Nov 2018 - 20:27

masofdas wrote:
What I can tell you is HDR in my opinion is the big game changer, not 4K on a TV.

I think that's what attracted me to whatever Samsung TV it was I was looking at. The colour palate is incredible, so incredible that it even seemed like it was putting the other HDR screens to shame. It's just still a hard decision because doing a bit of research shows that there are lots more factors than just the image on the screen whereas the last time I had a tv it was basically HD or no HD and the size of the screen.

Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 21 EmptyMon 12 Nov 2018 - 21:05

Still think it's always been there but that's likely due to me getting a new TV almost every 3.5 years roughly since 2005.

Now not going into to much detail, if you can afford it go for QLED or similar (my LG is LED but Nanodot for instance), 4K, HDR10+/Pro (different manufacturers use different name for it) or Dolby Vision if you can as that's better but less things use it that it might not be worth the extra money, and a decent refresh rate which is the iffy one as my TV is 1200hz which is fake number pretty much and same goes for most of them part from Samsung who use there own lingo of PQI with the higher the number being better but you can only really compare Samsung's with this.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 21 EmptyTue 13 Nov 2018 - 2:12

They have 8K here.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 21 EmptyTue 13 Nov 2018 - 9:09

The Tokyo Olympics will be recorded in 8K for preservation I know that much and you can buy a 8K TV here from a Curry's etc but at the moment it is rather pointless and £5000 for the cheapest.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 21 EmptyTue 13 Nov 2018 - 13:22

Drunkalilly wrote:
They have 8K here.

Can you see the footballers?
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 21 EmptyWed 14 Nov 2018 - 1:21

You can see the one token non-Japanese player on each team.

Speaking of seeing the footballers, some lads from work and I went and watched a Nagano Parceiro game last weekend. It was good fun, we were sat super close and everyone was getting well into it.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 21 EmptyThu 15 Nov 2018 - 21:33

Aye, I saw those pictures. That looked neat - it looks like the lower tiers have sorted themselves out already, given the J-League's relative newness.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 21 EmptyThu 15 Nov 2018 - 23:33

Nagano's team is younger than me, it was founded in '91.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 21 EmptySun 18 Nov 2018 - 13:34

So I went up a mountain today, biggest one I've done so far I think?

Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 21 46482710

Mount Iizuna is the iconic mountain near Nagano, about 10km North of where I live. I'd been putting it off as you kind of need to get a bus up there and I've been concentrating on the mountains closer to town but I figure there aren't many more weekends left to climb and see autumn colours before the snows come.

I overslept a little, but I caught the bus at 11:30 and hit the stop around 12. I got out, took a leisurely stroll around the lake, took lots of pictures, played on some rope bridges, you know how it is. There was a little bagel place but the sign said it was open until 9, so I figured I'd eat there on the way down and just have my packed lunch before heading up.

Eventually, after getting a little lost on the windy mountain roads and big wooden homes, I found the trailhead and started up. It was a good climb, a little steep in places, a few friendly hikers, gorgeous views. I got to the top and could see incredible vistas, could even see snow on the tops of the distant Alps (they totally looked like Lord of the Rings Mountains).

As I started back down, the sun was dipping behind the horizon. It got real dark, real quick. Luckily, I'd brought my portable charger. Unluckily, I didn't actually bring the wire to plug my phone into it. Luckily, the charger itself has a flashlight.

I got down the mountain proper and into the town/ resort whatever, pretty lost. I risked turning mobile data on long enough to find directions back to the lake. I could get there within minutes of the last bus. I got to Lake Iizuna on time . . . and didn't recognise. It was way prettier than the lake I'd arrived at: turns out it wasn't the lake I wanted after all, it was the nearby duck pond.

At this point my phone ran out of battery.

I stumbled around, no map, no podcasts, no clues, but I eventually found my way to the place I recognised. The bagel shop lights were still on but it seemed empty. I went up to the window. It turned out it was A) a combined bagel cafe/ laundrette, and B) the cafe closed at 4:30 on Sundays.

There was a sign saying free Wifi and a nearby phone booth, so I hatched a plan (as I guzzled coffee from a nearby vending machine). I would use my 3DS to get online, and either find a place to sleep or a taxi back to town. I couldn't connect though. I could see a sign at the back of the shop with the wifi password, but it was a little too far away to read.

I tried the door. It opened! I crept across the room . . . and a man emerged from the back. I apologised, and in an awkward combination of my broken Japanese and his limited English, explained the situation.

He called a taxi for me and let me wait on his sofa for an hour. He even gave me some nuts to keep me going! Eventually I got home, about 9pm, having spent 4 times as much on a taxi as I'd planned to spend on a bus.

People always talk about how friendly and eager to be helpful to strangers Japanese people are, but this guy saved my bacon after he found me sneaking into his shop!

It was a good adventure Smile
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 21 EmptySun 18 Nov 2018 - 17:31

This is exactly the kind of story I was expecting with you living out there, it really sounds like a great country and what a top lad the guy who helped out is.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 21 EmptyMon 19 Nov 2018 - 16:33

Only you Drunka. Laughing Well not only you, but that's a very 'you thing' to do. Glad you got home safe!
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 21 EmptyMon 19 Nov 2018 - 17:24

Ah jeez, I'd have been crippled with fear at even going into that shop for the Wi-Fi password! I know it probably wasn't worth it in regards to how much money you spent, but it's at least an interesting story you'll be able to tell again, no doubt.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 21 EmptyTue 20 Nov 2018 - 3:29

I'd have preferred not to spend the money but yeah, I was ultimately glad to have the adventure.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 21 EmptySat 22 Dec 2018 - 11:38

I like to maximise the zoom on my phone and then slowly scroll images of people's faces across the screen and make dinosaur noises.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 21 EmptySat 22 Dec 2018 - 12:35

To entertain yourself, or to entertain others? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 21 EmptyMon 24 Dec 2018 - 19:02

My own at the expense of others
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 21 EmptyTue 25 Dec 2018 - 8:59

Excellent revelation. I hope you do this right in people's faces so they can't easily escape.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 21 EmptyTue 12 Feb 2019 - 22:49

So, yesterday when playing a bit of Smash bros I noticed a slight pain in my wrist after about 5 - 10 minutes of playing so I stopped and took a look at my hand where I noticed it was slightly swollen near where my palm and thumb meet.

No clue how it happened either but I'll be resting it for a few days (no games for me Aww! ) in the hope that a doctors appointment isn't needed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift   Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift - Page 21 Empty

Back to top Go down

Chat Thread: Tokyo Drift
Page 21 of 36Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 28 ... 36  Next