We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge

Go down 
+12
Athrun888
Treesmurf
Gwyn400
Balladeer
shanks
Admin
Crumpy Andy
ZeroJones
beemoh
Darunia
JayMoyles
Vidofnir
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge   The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge - Page 10 EmptySat 18 May 2013 - 7:17

Aww. I can't watch videos at work. Aww!
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge   The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge - Page 10 EmptySat 18 May 2013 - 19:17

Using the Internet? At work?! Balladeer, disgraceful. Winky Face
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge   The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge - Page 10 EmptySun 19 May 2013 - 4:09

My 3DS has killed my progress at the moment. But it has got me addicted to Black 2 again. Laughing
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge   The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge - Page 10 EmptySat 25 May 2013 - 22:49

I just couldn't stay away.

So yeah, it's fully commentated, audio on my voice is a little low for the first few minutes as my mic was out of position, but my voice is still audible. Tips on how to improve and any thoughts on the video, fully appreciated. Smile
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge   The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge - Page 10 EmptySun 26 May 2013 - 7:14

Ahhh, those lilting Scottish tones. Wonderful.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge   The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge - Page 10 EmptySun 26 May 2013 - 17:35

I noticed the audio was a second or so out of sync, shall fix that for the next part.

Did you enjoy it though nonetheless Balla?
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge   The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge - Page 10 EmptySun 26 May 2013 - 18:08

I'll tell you when my Internet connection isn't special and I can watch a decent length of video without constantly having to poke the cursor forward.
Back to top Go down
Vidofnir
Flock Step Bird
Vidofnir

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge   The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge - Page 10 EmptyMon 27 May 2013 - 14:57

That was great Jay. Exactly what I was thinking of doing with the commentary. Ill wait until after my exams to start though, so its up to you to carry the baton!
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge   The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge - Page 10 EmptySun 9 Mar 2014 - 8:32

Just started LeafGreen, Nuzlocke stylee. So far have my Squirtle, caught a Rattata, who was swiftly offed by a wild Rattata, who I have caught as a replacement (as they were from different routes). It is not an encouraging start...
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge   The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge - Page 10 EmptySun 9 Mar 2014 - 16:38

Ahhh don't tempt me to start a new Nuzlocke. I left my Emerald one in the lurch - editing videos on top of uni work became a pain - but I'd really be tempted to start a new picture based Nuzlocke.
Back to top Go down
Vidofnir
Flock Step Bird
Vidofnir

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge   The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge - Page 10 EmptySun 30 Mar 2014 - 20:17

It has been a while since I attempted any Nuzlocke, after I failed in my Diamond run to a Gyarados trainer I had a break from playing pokemon in general. Then X/Y was released and I couldn't help but feel that the art of Storytelling and fair difficulty was sacrificed on the alter of 'online play' and making the game 'accommodating' (Basically EXP share broke my positive experience).

Since then, a return to the Gnuzlocke challenge has been inevitable, I would like to invite you all once again to a challenge where sacrifice is the key term and the only accommodating factor is the Magikarp trainer and the words 'But Nothing Happened'.

Last time around we had some excellent contributions, with only one victorious play-through across all the core games, the use of video and pictures was brilliant and the descriptive writing was easy to follow and entertaining. It would be great to build some interest once again and If you haven't tried a Gnuzlocke run yet you should give it a go!

So with that I think I will have a look at the rules, maybe try and alter them for X/Y if anyone wanted to pursue that path. Let me know what you think.

Last edited by Vidofnir on Sun 30 Mar 2014 - 22:11; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge   The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge - Page 10 EmptySun 30 Mar 2014 - 20:23

There's a "delete poll" option at the bottom of the poll options. Done it for you.

As always, I don't think I have the time nor patience for a Nuzlocke run, but I'll happily watch and comment on other peoples'!
Back to top Go down
Vidofnir
Flock Step Bird
Vidofnir

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge   The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge - Page 10 EmptyWed 2 Apr 2014 - 16:57

The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge - Page 10 Title_11

Thought I would kick off an Emerald play-through as it has been so long since I picked up this game. I cant really remember gym leader set-ups and levels so this should be interesting...

The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge - Page 10 Pokemo10

Well, here is my trainer profile! What is that even meant to be on my head, hardly the most colour co-ordinated trainer. Check out that bank balance though, you would think after moving house I would be a little short on change.

So, my trainer ID ends in 9 huh? Wait... But that means...

The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge - Page 10 Pokemo11

Well, I might as well give up now. I have to use Mudkip! Well, I haven't actually picked Mudkip before because the other two starters look so good. Just look at those little soulless eyes...

We took down that Zigzagoon easily enough though. It is a shame that I cannot catch it, this route is now unavailable for potential team members. I just realized that Birch is usually chased by a Poocheyna, must be a version difference and there are many more to come.

The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge - Page 10 Pokemo12

Well, somebody had to bite the bullet on this one, sorry Jaster.  Whistle 

So, it begins. Do you think the images are fine that size?
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge   The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge - Page 10 EmptyWed 2 Apr 2014 - 17:37

Looks good to me! I think I'll join you on Emerald as well.  Smile 
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge   The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge - Page 10 EmptyWed 2 Apr 2014 - 17:39

Wargh! I might restart that LeafGreen Nuzlocke, I forgot to nickname my first couple of Pokemon and got caught up in other stuff rather than investing time in it. Or I might try doing another game once I get back to the UK and have access to them. (Yeah, I'm coming back to the UK!)
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge   The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge - Page 10 EmptyWed 2 Apr 2014 - 18:33

I also hope my image size is alright - the screencap function on the emulator I'm using is infinitely easier than manually doing it in Paint.

I'm also going for a bit more of a narrative approach to this one - if it's too much, let me know and I'll switch to just descriptions.

Jay's Emerald Nuzlocke Part One:
Back to top Go down
Vidofnir
Flock Step Bird
Vidofnir

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge   The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge - Page 10 EmptyThu 3 Apr 2014 - 17:07

Looking forward to your LG Nuzlocke Rum, It will be tough to top Jay's effort on that one.

The image sizes look fine to me, I added a few more rules to the original post but these are mainly amendments for Black/White and X/Y. Though do note that exp share is now banned as well as any choice items or focus items.

Oldale and Onwards:

Spoiler:

Tables have been updated with My and Jay's Emerald runs, I added Rum to FR/LG so no pressure or anything heheh  Dance .

I guess a few people like Darunia and Gwyn haven't been around recently which is a shame because their writing was way better than mine! Since this means a few runs are in limbo I have gone for the  Sleep rather than defeated.

Last edited by Vidofnir on Thu 3 Apr 2014 - 21:52; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge   The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge - Page 10 EmptyThu 3 Apr 2014 - 21:39

Eh, Poochyenna's kind of rubbish for a dark type, but beggars and choosers and that.

Nice .gifs, Jay, as always. Laughing 
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge   The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge - Page 10 EmptyThu 3 Apr 2014 - 23:03

Cheers Balla - expect at least a couple every update!

This part includes an extra rule I'm imposing on my playthrough.

Jay's Emerald Nuzlocke Part Two:
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge   The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge - Page 10 EmptyFri 4 Apr 2014 - 7:52

Welcome to the Poochyena club Masofdas!
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge   The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge - Page 10 EmptySun 6 Apr 2014 - 11:46

I should probably think about finishing my platinum run at some point. Maybe when I get back in a pokemon mood, I could always use with finishing it so I can migrate the coolest legendary pokemon ever, giratina, to Y.

And speaking of sixth gen, I'd be up for a nuzlocke of that at some point, but I wouldn't want the exp share to be completely banned. My reason for that is I feel the exp share, while it's very easy to abuse, also allows the player an unprecedented amount of variety with their team. If it isn't a problem would it be okay to have it so that exp share can only be used until the team is within three levels of the rest of the trainers on any given new route, and also only until your best Pokemon presently on the team is three levels over the route average?

I think such a rule would promote the positive aspect of the new exp share without allowing its abuse.
Back to top Go down
Vidofnir
Flock Step Bird
Vidofnir

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge   The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge - Page 10 EmptySun 6 Apr 2014 - 16:46

That is a good point Athrun. The only reason I banned it was because It makes the game easier and nullifies the danger of wild pokemon. A big part of the danger in all other Nuzlocke games.

I'm not entirely sure about being able to raise pokemon without exposing them at all. It would also be hard to mediate its use without great knowledge of each individual route and its trainers.

However, I don't have a problem with removing that particular ban though since I haven't attempted an X/Y nuzlocke, as such I can't really say if it will make much impact on difficulty.

Anyone else have a view on this?
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge   The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge - Page 10 EmptySun 6 Apr 2014 - 19:15

I don't think I can stress enough how horrible I find the XY Exp. Share, how easy it makes the game.  It'd actually be a really good addition if Game Freak had given it to you as a post-game levelling device, to make Pokédex completion and training for tournaments easier... but they didn't.

However, I'm not going to try a Nuzlocke myself, and I'd enjoy seeing another one.  It all depends on how hard Athrun wants to push himself.  I'd say that there's no reason to ban it if the Nuzlocker doesn't want it banned: maybe just put an icon next to the results in the OP?  (This goes for pretty much all the rules actually.)
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge   The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge - Page 10 EmptySun 6 Apr 2014 - 20:17

I can't say I find wild Pokemon to be all that dangerous to begin with honestly, they're usually five or so levels below whatever I use as a lead and the local trainers and are just exp meals. I get why exp share as it is now can reduce the difficulty, but at the same time I just don't think it would if used with self imposed restrictions and could instead be a positive feature. Perhaps a harsher restriction would be allowing only five random battles on a route, that cuts out any real room for grinding and forces the player to strategically think what they want in their team at all times and what they really want to raise and in general just requires more planning and greater care. Although that idea would mean using repels and fleeing when they fail.

Of course doing that runs the risk of pushing someone in to a corner where they could have a wipeout but have a bunch of really low level Pokemon in the pc, but unable to use them because they're too weak for that portion of the game. Some sort of clause would probably be needed for that sort of situation if it arose. Either way it'll be a while before I can do a gen 6 nuzlocke as I've only got the one game and don't have bank so can't store all of my valuable iv bred ev trained pokemon, so there's plenty of time to thrash out a good ruleset for gen six.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge   The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge - Page 10 EmptySun 6 Apr 2014 - 20:29

Jay's Emerald Nuzlocke - Part Three:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge   The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Gnamer Nuzlocke Challenge
Page 10 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next