Nintendo in encouraging Emio-lation shocker

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

NGamer Issue 6

Go down 
+2
Jimbob
gjones
6 posters
AuthorMessage
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

NGamer Issue 6 Empty
PostSubject: NGamer Issue 6   NGamer Issue 6 EmptySun 15 Jan 2017 - 21:53

NGamer Issue 6 156?cb=20131010210441

Issue 6 of NGamer is out now (10 years ago) and has the spotlight pointed at WarioWare Smooth Moves. Looking back at it, there are striking similarities with the Switch game 1-2-Switch. The writers are also excited by Heroes (No More Heroes) and it's the 10th anniversary of that game in December - also interesting that the new Mario Odyssey game is 10 years after Galaxy - maybe a HD remaster is possible on Switch? Also, the Switch would be perfect for a Trauma Center game!

There's a massive preview section (including rumours of Time Crisis for Wii!) and actually a readers' poll that asks "Do you think Super Mario Galaxy will be better than Super Mario Sunshine?" - 78% said No!!!

Wii

Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Review by Matthew Castle:

WarioWare: Smooth Moves

Review by Matthew Castle:

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 81%

Excite Truck

Review by Martin Kitts:

Splinter Cell: Double Agent (US Import) 71%
Ice Age 2: The Meltdown 70%
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 65%
Open Season 60%
Rapala Tournament Fishing 50%
The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy 44%

DS

Starfox Command 85%
Jump Ultimate Stars (Japan Import) 82%
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin 78%
Tokyo Friend (Japan Import) 78%
Minna No Curling DS (Japan Import) 70%
Tank Beat (Japan Import) 51%

Gameboy Advance

Rayman Raving Rabbids 44%

Reviews Roundup

Superman Returns (DS) 20%
Charlotte's Web (DS/GBA) 39%
Star Trek: Tactical Assault (DS) 62%
Monster Bomber (DS) 58%
Puzzle Series Vol. 5: Slitherlink (DS) 80%
Zoids: Battle Colosseum (DS) 65%
Cartoon Network Racing (DS) 24%
Lionel Trains on Track (DS) 54%
Horsez (DS) 55%

Waddaya buying?

Trauma Center: Second Opinion can be had for £1 (CEX)
WarioWare and Excite Truck are also just £2-£3 each.
Portrait of Ruin is £18 for those interested in the DS side of things.

A very cheap month. I've given up on Red Steel, it's just not worth the hassle. Will be picking up the 3 Wii games (no interest in Dragon Ball Z) - I've typed up the reviews as the issue isn't archived digitally.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

NGamer Issue 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGamer Issue 6   NGamer Issue 6 EmptySun 15 Jan 2017 - 23:20

gjones wrote:
I've given up on Red Steel, it's just not worth the hassle.
Yeah, that's about right...

Blimey - I'd forgotten about this - I'm going to get me out my Ish 6.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

NGamer Issue 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGamer Issue 6   NGamer Issue 6 EmptyMon 16 Jan 2017 - 8:53

A few comparisons can be made WarioWare Smooth Moves and Switch is getting 1-2-Switch, No More Heroes was being talked about and a 3rd game starring Travis Touchdown is happening, the big one Galaxy and now Mario Odyssey.

I do hope we get a Galaxy HD but with the Joy-Cons being Wiimote + Nunchuck like I can see me having the same issues with the control set up but then again it has to be able to be played in handheld mode, I guess would mean it may have to have a normal setup as well.

Also could we get Skyward Sword HD at some point? And this might sound silly can Nintendo play on nostalgia for both the Wii and DS which for a lot of people may have been their first systems.

Looking back on issue 4-6 and the launch games for the Wii some others are similar Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and now we getting Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 but now we don't get all the 3rd party B and C tier games like Open Season, we now get things like 2 Fast 4 Gnomez instead on the eShop.

On what I'm buying though back then I only got Excite Truck and now on Wii that wouldn't change. For DS, I think I got Starfox Command but I can't remember much about it and doubt I would buy it now but I wish I got Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

NGamer Issue 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGamer Issue 6   NGamer Issue 6 EmptyMon 16 Jan 2017 - 14:34

Portrait Of Ruin is a lovely little game that comes with a Zero recommendation. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

NGamer Issue 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGamer Issue 6   NGamer Issue 6 EmptyMon 16 Jan 2017 - 16:52

A couple of years later, they brought out a sequel to Trauma Centre: Second Opinion with co-op multiplayer. In reality, though, Second Opinion had the best multiplayer ever: nurse mode.

One player, the doctor, wields the wii remote and operates on the patient. When they need to change tool, they yell at the other player, the nurse, who has the nunchuk. "NURSE! SCALPEL! STAT!"

We tried this with other games, with less success. Resident Evil 4, in particular, was a disaster.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

NGamer Issue 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGamer Issue 6   NGamer Issue 6 EmptyMon 16 Jan 2017 - 17:04

gjones wrote:
"Do you think Super Mario Galaxy will be better than Super Mario Sunshine?" - 78% said No!!!

Bloody hell! Sunshine is a smart game, but there was quite a lot of stuff at the time that I thought bettered it. Galaxy would have had to have been the worst Mario game to that point for that 78% of folk to have been right.

Otherwise, that's a cracking effort, gjones. Those are three very different games that you've spotlighted in particular, but they're magic. I actually look back on Excite Truck and WarioWare as being two of the best games on the system, they're great fun. Truama Centre was quality as well, but I felt badly burned after planting £35 quid on it and then finding out then it was a port of a DS game that I'd already imported, played and bested. Fuckin boo.

The appraisal of the audio in Kittsy's Excite Truck review has what is probably my favourite NGamer quote of all time: "music piped directly from Satan's arsehole". That's outstanding. You can't pay for that sort of journalism. Some wank these days would have said that in about 2 million words and not got the point across like Kittsy did.

You're quite right about Red Steel not being worth the effort by the way - I bought it as well, stuck with it for about an hour and then punted it back to GAME for 20p credit. Bollocks to that.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

NGamer Issue 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGamer Issue 6   NGamer Issue 6 EmptyMon 16 Jan 2017 - 17:19

I played loads of Red Steel back in 2007, desperately trying to convince myself it was good. It really wasn't, but I'd not played any good FPS games at that point.

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
I actually look back on Excite Truck and WarioWare as being two of the best games on the system, they're great fun.
Yep. Busted out Wario at the meet last year, still a cracker of a multiplayer game.
Quote :
probably my favourite NGamer quote of all time: "music piped directly from Satan's arsehole". That's outstanding. You can't pay for that sort of journalism.
Definitely up there. Accurate, as well. I was very glad to be able to bung an SD card full of Tay Tay in there instead.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

NGamer Issue 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGamer Issue 6   NGamer Issue 6 EmptyMon 16 Jan 2017 - 22:29

Drunkalilly wrote:
A couple of years later, they brought out a sequel to Trauma Centre: Second Opinion with co-op multiplayer.  In reality, though, Second Opinion had the best multiplayer ever: nurse mode.

One player, the doctor, wields the wii remote and operates on the patient. When they need to change tool, they yell at the other player, the nurse, who has the nunchuk. "NURSE! SCALPEL! STAT!"

We tried this with other games, with less success. Resident Evil 4, in particular, was a disaster.

Funny you mention this as I recall sharing a Remote and Nunchuk with the missus to play Trauma Center: Second Opinion, and it was absolutely hilarious. The only other game I recall that worked well with one person using the Nunchuk, and another using the Remote, is Pikmin 2. When you are in-sync, it's brilliant! I just got Resi 4 for the PS4 and I'm really struggling with the controls - the Wii version has reconfigured my brain to the point that the original Cube game is probably a sluggish affair trying to aim that laser dot.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

NGamer Issue 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGamer Issue 6   NGamer Issue 6 EmptyMon 16 Jan 2017 - 22:36

gjones wrote:
"Do you think Super Mario Galaxy will be better than Super Mario Sunshine?" - 78% said No!!!

Bloody hell! Sunshine is a smart game, but there was quite a lot of stuff at the time that I thought bettered it. Galaxy would have had to have been the worst Mario game to that point for that 78% of folk to have been right.

Otherwise, that's a cracking effort, gjones. Those are three very different games that you've spotlighted in particular, but they're magic. I actually look back on Excite Truck and WarioWare as being two of the best games on the system, they're great fun. Truama Centre was quality as well, but I felt badly burned after planting £35 quid on it and then finding out then it was a port of a DS game that I'd already imported, played and bested. Fuckin boo.

The appraisal of the audio in Kittsy's Excite Truck review has what is probably my favourite NGamer quote of all time: "music piped directly from Satan's arsehole". That's outstanding. You can't pay for that sort of journalism. Some wank these days would have said that in about 2 million words and not got the point across like Kittsy did.

You're quite right about Red Steel not being worth the effort by the way - I bought it as well, stuck with it for about an hour and then punted it back to GAME for 20p credit. Bollocks to that.

Yeah I think I'd be a bit disappointed in many of these early Wii titles if I'd paid £35 at the time for them - although I was balls-deep in Xbox 360 throughout 2006-2010 so I've mostly associated Wii games with their cheaper prices years later. I'm going to work through WarioWare as it's a series I'm not too familiar with, and Excite Truck is something I'll likely grab on payday (order online, natch).

Good to see y'all appreciate the reviews. I'd like to type up previous reviews (Twlight Princess in particular) as it would be nice to have them available on the forum - I don't know if the authors would mind given it would be tucked away on a forum. Could always ask Castle I guess.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

NGamer Issue 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGamer Issue 6   NGamer Issue 6 EmptyMon 16 Jan 2017 - 22:40

gjones wrote:

I was balls-deep in Xbox 360 throughout 2006-2010

Those years were great for Xbox, shame MS lost their way come the end of the 360.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

NGamer Issue 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGamer Issue 6   NGamer Issue 6 EmptyTue 17 Jan 2017 - 23:05

I'm still in the previews section, but, other than of course the mighty Super Mario Galaxy, a lot of those previews just read as "it's like an earlier entry in the series, but with tacked-on motion controls also slightly simplified! Hooray I think".

Hmmm... I thought I'd be a bit happier than I am, re-reading the old mags... mind you, I haven't got to the features yet, which are always gold.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

NGamer Issue 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGamer Issue 6   NGamer Issue 6 EmptySat 21 Jan 2017 - 20:35

Naughty double post!

Firstly, I'd like to share Cappa's outrage at the Mario Sunshine Poll. Luckily, they were wrong, and we knew/know better.

Laffs so far::
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

NGamer Issue 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGamer Issue 6   NGamer Issue 6 EmptyMon 23 Jan 2017 - 15:43

Have been enjoying WarioWare: Smooth Moves over the weekend. Anyone given this a bash lately? It's easily the funniest game I've played in years - particularly the descriptions of the how to hold the Wii remote.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

NGamer Issue 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGamer Issue 6   NGamer Issue 6 EmptyMon 23 Jan 2017 - 15:49

No, no - the Form Baton. Laughing As it happens, yer man Drunka brought it with him to the GNamer Forum Meetup and those of us who had survived up to that point played through much of the single player campaign by passing the Remo - er, Form Baton around for each new minigame. Cracking game, holds up well, this post reminds me it's about time we had a new proper WarioWare (and what better way to show off the Switch's HD Rumble?).
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

NGamer Issue 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGamer Issue 6   NGamer Issue 6 EmptyMon 23 Jan 2017 - 15:55

Game and Wario was good!
Yeah, Smooth Moves is a blinder. Still a multiplayer favourite in my flat to this day. Introducing the lads in Newcastle was a highlight even though we were relegated to playing through the singleplayer campaign (multiplayer is unlocked at the end and there was no save file on Zero's Wii U, see).
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

NGamer Issue 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGamer Issue 6   NGamer Issue 6 EmptyThu 9 Feb 2017 - 22:17

I liked "weirder than a bath full of Spidermen" but obviously nothing can touch

kittsy wrote:
"music piped directly from Satan's arsehole"
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

NGamer Issue 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGamer Issue 6   NGamer Issue 6 EmptyThu 9 Feb 2017 - 22:31

It's between that, Alex Dale's "a big pot full of bum" for some 7% ATV game and the time that N64 Magazine listed their reviews on the back of their magazine and said "Cruis'n USA (sorry)". "Direct from Satan's arsehole" was quality - they should have gone with that as the magazine's slogan rather than 'WORTH £7' or all that utter, utter, utter shite about Charlton Heston.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

NGamer Issue 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGamer Issue 6   NGamer Issue 6 EmptyThu 9 Feb 2017 - 23:00

It's between that, Alex Dale's "a big pot full of bum" for some 7% ATV game and the time that N64 Magazine listed their reviews on the back of their magazine and said "Cruis'n USA (sorry)". "Direct from Satan's arsehole" was quality - they should have gone with that as the magazine's slogan rather than 'WORTH £7' or all that utter, utter, utter shite about Charlton Heston.

Agree with the Heston shite - I never liked that.

Those summaries in the Directory at the back of N64 magazine were golden. Especially with entries like £Too Much instead of the price - I still love how hard they went in on Carmageddon 64. You just don't see reviews for bad games any more, mostly because there are so many good games to cover these days.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

NGamer Issue 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGamer Issue 6   NGamer Issue 6 EmptyFri 10 Feb 2017 - 11:23

I quite enjoyed the Heston bantz at the time, but I was young and without a doubt stupid. We'll see how I feel when it rolls around a decade later.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

NGamer Issue 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGamer Issue 6   NGamer Issue 6 EmptyFri 10 Feb 2017 - 12:21

It seemed a bit too obscure for my taste. I always wondered what folk younger than me made of it all. Eh?
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

NGamer Issue 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGamer Issue 6   NGamer Issue 6 EmptyFri 10 Feb 2017 - 12:42

Also of interest: NGamer pretty accurately predicting the Wii U and Switch when predicting what will follow up Wii and DS. All as part of their write-up of a t-shirt.
NGamer Issue 6 Wiishi10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

NGamer Issue 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NGamer Issue 6   NGamer Issue 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

NGamer Issue 6
Page 1 of 1