We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0

Go down 
+11
Athrun888
Balladeer
Buskalilly
The_Jaster
Jimbob
OrangeRakoon
Crumpy Andy
JayMoyles
masofdas
The Cappuccino Kid
ZeroJones
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 22 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 22 EmptyThu 12 Jul 2018 - 21:13

Balladeer wrote:
But how many emotions did it make you feel, Muss?  How many?

Also, did you know he knows Ellen Page?

Laughing People's has no polygons, speak to me only in rational binary from now on please.

The thing about Detroit is: I've read Philip K. Dick's Do Android's Dream of Electric Sheep, I've watched Blade Runner, and also the incredibly influential Small Soldiers and Short-Circuit. I don't really need anymore fiction about "are androids people/what is a people/." I'm not really sure what Mr. Cage wading into this crowded story-telling trope is going to add that other sources haven't, except for it being a "choose-your-own-adventure" game, and that's giving him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to dialogue.

It's a, "I might play it if I could borrow it, actually can I borrow something else instead," kind of game for me at the moment. Glad you enjoyed it though. Like I said, I do rate Until Dawn and I think it is healthy for the industry at large that this genre of game finds an audience.

Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 22 EmptyThu 12 Jul 2018 - 21:18

Soon as I beat Detroit, I went and watched Blade Runner due to the similar nature.

I would put Untill Dawn near the top of the genre but I'd also bung Telltale and Life is Strange with them.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 22 EmptyThu 12 Jul 2018 - 21:27

I didn't bother downloading Heavy Rain - that sort of thing feels like the opposite of a video game to me, which would only be acceptable if it then turned into a well-written drama show. Everything I've seen looks like the opposite of that as well...
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 22 EmptyFri 13 Jul 2018 - 9:23

I'm not going to say the story in Heavy Rain is good as been a few years since I played it.

I can see why you bring up about the opposite of a video game and I was watching Game Scoop the other day, where they were talking GOTY which 3/4 of them said God of War.

The 4th agreed it would likely would GOTY if done now, but he found that even though plays more like a traditional game compared to a Heavy Rain, he'd sooner have watched the story as a TV series.

It's one of the reasons why I liked it so much as it's as good as a TV series.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 22 EmptyFri 13 Jul 2018 - 10:36

David Cage's games did give the world James Farley's exceptional streams, though . . .
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 22 EmptyTue 17 Jul 2018 - 19:12

Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 22 Miles-kilo-nintendo-switch-20180621-800x445

With one hour and forty one minutes on the clock and four hundred and nine deaths, I've reached the end of Miles & Kilo on Switch. It's "super tough" as the developer promises, but it's definitely doable, not at all unfair, and actually quite exciting due to how fast paced it is. It's a very polished and accomplished platformer that's clearly been lovingly made, and the controls, music and pixel art being bang on for the nostalgic, Adventure Island-ey style they were after. Basically, I liked it quite a bit...although at £7.19 I wonder if it's a bit dear, and if it's destined to struggle on a platform that's getting 4,994,380,551 new releases each week. Does it do enough to stand out? 7/10.

Last edited by The Cappuccino Kid on Wed 18 Jul 2018 - 9:17; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 22 EmptyTue 17 Jul 2018 - 20:37

It stood out enough to get onto my watchlist, at least. I think the problem for most indie titles is that in order to stand out on the eShop they've either got to have critical acclaim - like Celeste - or be an established indie darling like Stardew Valley or Hollow Knight. The others really have to bank on word of mouth to get traction.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 22 EmptyWed 18 Jul 2018 - 13:53

I'm much like Jay on this one. I'd like to be able to support little titles like this, they certainly look like fun little time-sinks. The problem is the indie market is so saturated with gems that I've not even touched yet, there's no way I can justify getting this until I've played and finished Celeste or Hollow Knight. By the time I finish those, some other game will probably have come out that I'd sooner play first.

I know nothing about the profitability of indie games, but I wonder what the sweet-spot for titles like Miles & Kilo is? Like, if it was the price of a meal deal I'd be much more likely to pick it up, but if it was 50p I'd probably dismiss it as shovelware. That said, could the developer sell it at meal-deal rates and make money?
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 22 EmptyWed 18 Jul 2018 - 20:54

I think a lot of indie titles live for going on sale - they probably sell a lot more copies dropping below £5 than if they stayed at £8 full price, for example. Sure, they're technically losing £3 over what they deem to be the value of the game, but if they're converting what would have been a lost sale into a buyer, then that's £5 they never would have had in the first place, if that makes sense.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 22 EmptyThu 19 Jul 2018 - 21:26

I'll pay whatever for a game that I think deserves it. I think if Nintendo really wants to get me window-shopping and impulse-buying, though, they need to so(rt out the eShop layout. We know. - Everybody)
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 22 EmptyFri 20 Jul 2018 - 22:50

It's got a wee bit better with that discover tab now at least, but I wonder how much of an effect being featured in that tab has for a game's sales figures.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 22 EmptyFri 27 Jul 2018 - 20:36

If its anything like the Steam store then being featured on any front-page tab makes a significant difference to sales.

Also I finished:

Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 22 Header

I beat the Shovel Knight, Plague Knight and Specter Knight Campaigns and I can't wait for my boy King Knight's campaign to come out for free later this year alongside a local battle mode.

We all know Jaster, amongst several others, loves this game. You'll have to add me to the list too. I've owned Shovesy for over a year but stopped playing it the first time after reaching Polar Knight for some reason. This time around I ploughed through each campaign in 1-2 sittings. Top quality stuff, super-tight platforming, firm-but-fair challenge, incredible soundtrack, gorgeous pixel art, and a really charming story caps off a thoroughly brilliant game.

The only thing I really disliked was some of the platforming sections in the last few stages that involved the side/upward scrolling camera of death. I don't normally enjoy scrolly camera platforming bits in most games because they a) really play on anxiety, forcing you to execute jumps precisely and in quick succession, and b) because they sometimes feel as though you have to die a few times before you beat them because you don't have enough time to react to what's coming up unless you already know what's coming. The last camera scrolly bit was really quite challenging and had me cursing. Could have done without it but even so that doesn't blight what is a quality game.

9/10
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 22 EmptyFri 27 Jul 2018 - 21:15

YASS!

The fact you done each campaign back to back without growing tired of it shows the quality as well, oh have they said when King Knight is due out yet?
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 22 EmptySat 28 Jul 2018 - 0:32

Which was your favourite campaign? I really loved the movement options you got playing as Spectre Knight.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 22 EmptySat 28 Jul 2018 - 17:30

I enjoyed the Specter Knight playthrough the most because once I'd got over how different his movement seemed at first, his run was the easiest and I was enjoying going through the story as much as I was the levels. I think Plague Knight had the most interesting playthrough because of how it shed new light on the original Shovel Knight run, but I never really got the hang of his jumping so I died a lot.

I don't think there is a date other than 2018 still, I'm just really looking forward to King Knight because I found him the most amusing antagonist.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 22 EmptySat 28 Jul 2018 - 23:27

I got used to his movement through doing that optional tower climb platforming challenge in the hub area for ol' Speccy boy. Great fun, that.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 22 EmptySun 29 Jul 2018 - 20:10

Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 22 Go_vacation_artwork

A sick day off of work on Friday, the cancellation of all plans on Saturday and some general arsing about today meant that I got the Switch update of Go Vacation finished. Long-time forumites might know how much I loved Go Vacation on Wii, and it might have even found it's way onto my list of five games for JayMoyles' Versus Mode podcast. It was a great time...at the time. Sadly, what was an absolute titan on Wii in 2011 is just a wee bit knackered on the Switch in 2018.

What I feel lets it down the most is the motion controls, which are no more reliable with the super-advanced JoyCons as they were with the plain-old Wiimote that you got bundled with the Wii in 2006. I was hoping they'd update those controls, but all they've done is keep them the same and add regular controller controls too. That's disappointing, as the controls didn't convince me in 2011, and they don't convince me now. The activities didn't really stand out much on the first playthrough either. Having played this before, I know that there's some decent stuff later on, but it makes you wade through a lot of unimpressive, unchallenging and unexciting games the first time round. Most of them aren't games I'm stirred to play again, and a lot of it is just utter rubbish to be blunt. The activities are probably the worst thing about Go Vacation, which just defies all sense. I don't remember them being this bad - I must have blocked that out.

To be fair, there's still quite a bit to enjoy about Go Vacation. The exploration is better than I remembered - fannying about the four resorts was probably the most fun I had playing this over the weekend. Likewise, there's loads of music that I immediately remembered, or got stuck in my head - i think this warrants a post in the Nintendo music thread. It's also just a very happy, bouncy and sunny sort of game that's quite unlike anything else on Switch. You'd really not be unhappy with this if you were given it by someone else, or getting it for a discount. There's certainly enough to it. It's got it's positives, but it's negatives are more profound than ever, 6/10.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 22 EmptySun 29 Jul 2018 - 21:48

Muss wrote:
I enjoyed the Specter Knight playthrough the most because once I'd got over how different his movement seemed at first, his run was the easiest and I was enjoying going through the story as much as I was the levels. I think Plague Knight had the most interesting playthrough because of how it shed new light on the original Shovel Knight run, but I never really got the hang of his jumping so I died a lot.

I don't think there is a date other than 2018 still, I'm just really looking forward to King Knight because I found him the most amusing antagonist.

JayMoyles wrote:
I got used to his movement through doing that optional tower climb platforming challenge in the hub area for ol' Speccy boy. Great fun, that.

I loved Plague Knight the most because his movement was it's own original thing and wasn't really influenced by older games like the others are, Oh and the customisation of how you could use his bombs was excellent as well.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 22 EmptySun 29 Jul 2018 - 22:32

I can't add much to those and Balla will like this as I've waited till I played a big game to talk about a couple of titles

Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 22 Latest?cb=20130531040343

VF5 was a recent Games for Gold title on Xbox 360 which is compatible with Xbox One, this much like other fighting games of the era doesn't have a story mode, just an arcade mode which can be beaten in minutes.

The other thing you could do is go for achievements which you might think is beat arcade with every character but nope this is a stupidly easy list to get 300/400 in about hour.

If you do enjoy playing online or with mates then maybe give it a look otherwise it lacks content.

Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 22 Image?_version=00_09_000&platform=chihiro&w=720&h=720&bg_color=000000&opacity=100

LAP has 3 things going for it, it's on VITA, it's £1.49 and you can unlock a platinum in 30mins otherwise it's awful and I think I could make a better game (okay maybe not me but Jim certainly could).

Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 22 Header

The big game QB is something I've wanted to play for a while and lot's have told me I'd love it, now I think if I played in 2016 that might be true. The thing is QB feels like a PlayStation game, much like how I've said, Tearaway feels like a Nintendo game (It would end up being a Kirby game).

The problem is we live in a post-HZD, GoW, Detroit world and QB just doesn't stand up to them that it ends up being something worth playing but I wouldn't rush out and buy.

Also I found the live action stuff to be a little off, it felt sort of cheap SyFy channel even though it has some decent actors in it.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 22 EmptyMon 30 Jul 2018 - 0:15

Would love to play Virtua Fighter 5 as I ploughed hours in to the PS2 games. Not one I really saw in the shops at the time and don't have a system to play it - could be on PSNow I guess? The VF games have always been quite primitive so it doesn't surprise there isn't a story mode, but then, I wouldn't play a fighting game for the story anyway. Seems unlikely there will be a VF6, which is a shame given it was Tekken's main rival for years, and Tekken 7 seems to be doing alright.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 22 EmptyMon 30 Jul 2018 - 5:43

Wasn't till Mortal Kombat 9 where a story mode in fighting games was shown as a thing you can do and since games without have seem lesser.

And for people like me it's a big deal not because the story is good but local games is almost non-existent and online players are just so much better, that the content left is single player and a basic arcade mode, just doesn't cut it for that any more.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 22 EmptyMon 30 Jul 2018 - 8:30

I know of a game that both has a story mode and the full version of Virtua Fighter 5 in it. It's called Yakuza 6 and it's one of the best games of all time. Check it out Winky Face
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 22 EmptyMon 30 Jul 2018 - 9:11

VF5 is impressive to be in that and not something like VF3, shame about the rest of Yakuza.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 22 EmptyMon 30 Jul 2018 - 16:47

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:

To be fair, there's still quite a bit to enjoy about Go Vacation. The exploration is better than I remembered - fannying about the four resorts was probably the most fun I had playing this over the weekend. Likewise, there's loads of music that I immediately remembered, or got stuck in my head - i think this warrants a post in the Nintendo music thread. It's also just a very happy, bouncy and sunny sort of game that's quite unlike anything else on Switch. You'd really not be unhappy with this if you were given it by someone else, or getting it for a discount. There's certainly enough to it. It's got it's positives, but it's negatives are more profound than ever, 6/10.

A bit of shame reading this as I think the Switch would really benefit from having a good minigame collection like this to supplement its library. One for a sale, perhaps.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 22 EmptyMon 30 Jul 2018 - 19:17

masofdas wrote:
I can't add much to those and Balla will like this as I've waited till I played a big game to talk about a couple of titles...

Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 22 200
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0   Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0 - Page 22 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Game You Finished And Your Thoughts V3.0
Page 22 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next