We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0

Go down 
+9
Athrun888
Jimbob
The_Jaster
The Cappuccino Kid
masofdas
JayMoyles
Buskalilly
ZeroJones
Balladeer
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 39  Next
AuthorMessage
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 17 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 17 EmptySun 2 Aug 2020 - 14:37

Catch-up on Day 1 chat:

Day 2:

This tune sounds exactly what you'd expect a song titled On Your Way from the first level of a game called Sky Odyssey to sound like. The game's Wikipedia page makes a big deal out of the fact that Sky Odyssey's OST was done by the guy who later did the one for Shadow of the Colossus. It deserves it's own spotlight though, Sky Odyssey is a PS2 belter.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 17 EmptySun 2 Aug 2020 - 14:51

Sky Odyssey's font looks like the Galaxy Quest logo. Cappa is on fire with the obscure references.

Sonic and Shovesy were actually on my shortlist for this one!

Bob-Omb is another classic, natch.

Also, heres 80 dudes disagreeing with the balls man.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 17 EmptySun 2 Aug 2020 - 14:57

'Hey fancy getting together with 79 other blokes in a bathroom to be wrong?'
'Sure, sounds kinky.'
'Oh.  Er, I didn't mean like that.'

I was definitely going to use SM64 somewhere. DAMN YOU! Probably in the nostalgic category.  LttP's another classic I therefore struggle to comment on.  Sounds a bit worse for where on an SNES, but dear Lord the memories... and I didn't even play it when it came out!

I don't get on with the start of Sky Soldier's theme (the motif just sounds funny to these ears), but the bit from 0:18 sounds like Ghibli and the bit from 0:36 reminds me of... Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire? Eh? Anyway, it's good stuff.  Looking forward to not even having intended to pick any game that Cappa does all month.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 17 EmptySun 2 Aug 2020 - 15:12

Last time I turned my WiiU on, I had a wee look at the VC and lot's I like the look of but still £18 seems a lot for a digital Wii game.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 17 EmptySun 2 Aug 2020 - 23:06

Some great choices for first level music, I'm surprised to say my favourite out of those is the Shovel Knight music, I've only played through the game once so the fact I remembered it and how much I enjoyed it says a lot. On a side note they introduced Shovel Knight DLC in Just Shapes and Beats because he has to be in every indie game ever and I can totally see why they did now, that tune would go perfectly with the game.

On to my pick today and I've gone for this bad boy which just perfectly captures the series.

And for those wondering my previous choice:
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 17 EmptySun 2 Aug 2020 - 23:26

30-Day Video Game Music Challenge! Day 3: 8-Bit Music

There are a few good'ns in this soundtrack but this is the one that always comes to mind for me- maybe because I always chose Metal Man first then petered out of playing the rest of the game. Say what you will about Mega Man, he has cracking muzak.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 17 EmptySun 2 Aug 2020 - 23:27

Day 2: Opening level music

The first level from Mighty Switch Force has a banging earworm of a track. I actually don't remember the game particularly well, but I remember its OST!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 17 EmptySun 2 Aug 2020 - 23:30

Thats one I could get down to in the Club, Rum.

And Ive done City Escape in karaoke two or three times . . .
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 17 EmptyMon 3 Aug 2020 - 9:45

Mega Man is a good choice but
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 17 EmptyMon 3 Aug 2020 - 12:22

Day 3: 8-bit music

Thought I'd opt for this classique from the original Punch-Out!! And I think the remastered version in Smash is pretty boss.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 17 EmptyMon 3 Aug 2020 - 13:08

Catch Up on Day 2 Chat:

Day 3:

The menu theme from California Games on the Commodore 64! I grew up playing the Master System port, but this original version has the best tunes. This one's been doing my head in, as most of California Game's soundtrack blatantly rips off other songs, like Louie Louie and the Batman theme. I can't tell if this is a rip-off or if it's an original piece of work. Can anyone tell me if it reminds them of anything?
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 17 EmptyMon 3 Aug 2020 - 15:11

Bit late to the party with this, but here we go:

Day 1 - Title screens:

Day 2 - Opening levels:

Day 3: 8-bit

Ducktales - It's good, but it doesn't do anything for me. Maybe I need the nostalgia.
PunchOut - God, I've heard this so much yet never actually played PunchOut. Countless rappers have sampled it and it's now an iconic piece of game music. I don't know if it makes me feel like punching someone though.
California Games - Soon as that melody started I knew I'd like this. It's largely one tone throughout but you can't deny a great tune when you hear one. It definitely reminds me of something else so I doubt it's wholly original. Can't put my finger on it.

I'm going with Donkey Kong 94 - was GameBoy even 8-bit? Regardless, this is beautiful and a testament to how Nintendo often nailed their GameBoy soundtracks.

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 17 EmptyMon 3 Aug 2020 - 19:49

Catching Up with Level 2:

Catching Up with Level 3:

Gosh this is a hard one.  For all that I "don't like chiptunes" (Balla circa 2016, probably) there's something beautiful about the simplicity of many of those pieces, and I've really struggled with my pick.  I think I'm going to surprise people with my eventual choice:

THIS IS YOUR FAULT JAY.  If by some chance you haven't listened to L. Ron Hubbard's masterpiece any of the umpteen times of Moyles has posted it, sit through the horrible screechy first ten seconds and listen to what a real talent can do with a very limited soundset.  It's got a great build-up (those ten seconds of screech aside), an immensely catchy tune, a great bassline, and is the absolute opposite of repetitive, with so many melodic ideas along the way and not a duffer among them.  Finally, there's a guitar solo at around 4 minutes, and a violin cadenza at around 5:30, all through the power of the Commodore 64's chipset!

Apparently there was a game this tune was in as well?

Last edited by Balladeer on Mon 3 Aug 2020 - 20:04; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Missed GJones' Level 1 and Level 2 picks!)
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 17 EmptyMon 3 Aug 2020 - 23:47

Buskalilly wrote:
And Ive done City Escape in karaoke two or three times . . .

I would question this given your feelings on the Sonic franchise but it's a banger so makes perfect sense, they should play that song at parties in place of something like Mr. Brightside.

For all the limited capabilities there's some great 8-bit music out there, my personal favourites from the ones mentioned are Mas' and Rum's choices. I've struggled with this one, most 8-bit games I probably played handheld with the sound off, little Smurf missed out on some quality tunes. I'm not entirely sure I'm that keen on my choice but it's one I remember more than most from sporadic high score chasing.

My previous pick:
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 17 EmptyTue 4 Aug 2020 - 0:21

As I've said many times, I like Sonic just not playing his games! My love of City Escape in particular comes from Bit-Socket I think.

A lot od bangers in that 8-bit crop. Punch Out is a quality workout tune, Dr Mario and Duck Tales are classics and Monty and California Games are OUTTA NOWHERE finishers.

That Donkey Kong music is really fun and I'm now a little sad I mostly played that game without sound.

30-Day Video Game Music Challenge! Day 4: Music From a Console Exclusive Series

I wanted to think of a genuinely console exclusive series andbthis is what hit me. Both of Kyle Hyde's games were released on Nintendo DS and that was it - bar a bried appearance as a spirit in Smash Bros Ultimate.

Most of the music is chill detective background stuff but this track, which plays out as dramatic revelations are made at the end of the srory, pushes us to the next level.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 17 EmptyTue 4 Aug 2020 - 8:55

Catch Up on Day 3 Chat:

Day 4:

I'm thinking of a genuinely console exclusive series too, and my choice is the Gabbiano (Night) theme from Endless Ocean on Wii:

Endless Ocean has a gorgeous soundtrack, but it was also one of the very few Wii games that would let you customise your own soundtrack with MP3 files on your SD card. Being the fanny that I am, I spent most of my time scuba diving to the very inappropriate playlist of Dropkick Murphys and Flogging Molly.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 17 EmptyTue 4 Aug 2020 - 9:26

Wouldn't yours be for Day 27 the same but for handheld, Buska.

Found this one hard as everything gets ported like how many consoles is Super Mario Bros now on? That I've gone for maybe the most famous game stuck on a console

Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 17 EmptyTue 4 Aug 2020 - 10:00

The Hotel Dusk and Last Window soundtracks are impeccable as far as DS music goes. Was going to post a Last Window one but I'll save it for handheld day. I bet a lot of people didn't even play them with the music on as well Sad

Endless Ocean has some beauties too - it's just a game I never got into. It all seemed a bit Pilotwings-y - a bit of a Sunday afternoon chilled one that didn't feel that rewarding. Probably just me.

Not played Panzer Saga but that's a belter. Why is it so short though? Stops just as it gets going.

My addition is a track from one of the greats: Hideki Naganuma's Funky Dealer from Jet Set Radio Future.

Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 17 EmptyTue 4 Aug 2020 - 10:06

Wow! Predictably I sat and listened to all of those 8-bit tunes intently.

I'm likely to pick some old crap for other days, so for the 8-bit one, I went for something a bit specific

Glider Rider was an absolutely terrible game, but the music is ace. And it dynamically changes between major-ish and minor-ish variations depending on your current terrain. There's also a floaty dreamy version when you actually do some gliding instead of riding.

I also loved the console-specific ones so far - I'm immediately drawn to Hotel Dusk's synthy chordy goodness. Actual console-specific stuff? Wow, that's more difficult. I don't want to go mega old-school again, but even the ones I thought of so far turned out to be ported. I can't even pick Starbound because it's on the Mac as well as the PC. Wait - I got it

Actraiser! The music for the town building bit is beautiful - and such a contrast to the action-y bits of the game.

Also, I'm really sorry about picking Mario 64 and LttP so far - can we have a reset halfway through?
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 17 EmptyTue 4 Aug 2020 - 10:18

Day 4: Music from a console-exclusive series

I chose this from Opoona, an oddball RPG that only ever appeared on Wii. I never completed it, but I remember as being very distinctive. While it was a bit clumsy, it was fun. I can't remember where this music plays, but when I was flicking through tunes from the OST, this gave me an immediate sense of "oh yeah, I remember this!" so it must have been in one of the larger areas where you spend a fair bit of time.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 17 EmptyTue 4 Aug 2020 - 15:45

I never played Endless Ocean but after hearing that I went out to the nearest CeX and picked it up for £1.50, think it'll be perfect whenever I need a chilled game to play.

This was a tough one when trying to stick to the rules as strictly as possible, thought I found a really good one but then found out it had a sequel/spin off on a different console, I'm banking it for later on though. In the end I've gone with something to rival gjones' day one pick in terms of singalongability (shut up, it's a word), come on guys, you know this one!

My previous pick:
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 17 EmptyTue 4 Aug 2020 - 19:27

Going to come back to listen to and feed back on other people's tunes later - for now, just putting mine down.

This is a nice easy question that y'all have turned bastard hard.  'Console-Exclusive Series' suggests, to me, multiple games that have all released on the same platform-holder's machines.  But nooooo, we had to make it the same machine.  Cripes that's hard!  Hotel Dusk is probably the best example, but beyond that and the Endless Oceans we're into a whole series of 'what counts' and 'well technicallies' and nobody wants that.  (Although Jet Set Radio seems like it's a bit of a stretch: the original seems to have been released on just about everything!)

So - I'm going to need to cheat.  I thought about picking a Mario Galaxy and pretending that there was a Mario Galaxy sub-series Shifty , but I'm not going to cheat quite that badly.

If we concentrate on this point in time and ignore the crappy mobile and browser spin-offs, Bravely Default/Bravely is a 3DS-exclusive series.  As such, this epic special move theme is fair-ish game.  I've raved about Revo's work on Bravely Default before and will again, and could have picked any number of choices - but this is my fave.  A peppy upbeat move for your female physical warrior, a nice change of pace from the usual JRPG clichés.  There's a staged version with lyrics too: if you're just listening to one, listen to this.

I'll be back later with feedback.  Also: I'm keeping a log of games covered so far, up to my last post.  Link in my signature!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 17 EmptyTue 4 Aug 2020 - 19:34

Jet Set Radio Future is only on OG Xbox like Panzer Dragoon Saga only on Saturn where Super Mario 64 is on N64, Wii VC, WiiU VC and DS
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 17 EmptyTue 4 Aug 2020 - 20:28

I think Balla is right, but I think Mas and I read it differently.

Jet Set Radio was released as a Dreamcast exclusive, as was its sequel (exclusive to Xbox), so the series has historically been console exclusive. However, the series (is two games a series?) itself, has been on two consoles, so isn't exclusive to one console. The original was ported a decade later, you're right, but I went for the sequel. So Jet Set Radio is a console-exclusive series and isn't a console exclusive series. If that makes sense.

Panzer Dragoon, similarly, has been console exclusive. I think even the remaster is a Switch exclusive.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 17 EmptyTue 4 Aug 2020 - 20:38

The game I was going to go for which I will elsewhere was on PS2 then came elsewhere in a different gen, that yeah like first Jet Set exclusive at the time but now not. Why I went safe with my pick.

Did you see the Jet Set indie game someone's doing? Also Panzer Dragoon Remake is in Stadia and PC.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 17 Empty

Back to top Go down

Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0
Page 17 of 39Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 39  Next