We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0

Go down 
+9
Athrun888
Jimbob
The_Jaster
The Cappuccino Kid
masofdas
JayMoyles
Buskalilly
ZeroJones
Balladeer
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 39  Next
AuthorMessage
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 29 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 29 EmptySat 29 Aug 2020 - 9:58

Feeding back to y'all speaking wack.

Hand jobs:

Nostalgia:
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 29 EmptySat 29 Aug 2020 - 11:08

Feedback (and feedback on feedback) will have to follow.  For now:

The Mario & Luigi series has traditionally had tremendous soundtracks, from the mind of Yoko 'Kingdom Hearts' Shimomura; and their final battles are often things of beauty.  My actual favourite is the grim apocalyptic tune to the confrontation from Partners in Time as you fight the Lovecraftian alien monstrosity that is Princess Shroob, but I think this has broader appeal.  Fast-paced music, full of arpeggios and with a real feeling of tension to it, but with a tremendous tune as well; as you square off against what Fawful's become and the alternate Bowser it inhabits.  The instrumentation may not be all that, but the piece itself?  Solid gold.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 29 EmptySat 29 Aug 2020 - 11:51

masofdas wrote:
Did someone mention Kojima?

I laughed. Nothing but respect for how shameless this is. Good stuff  Thumbs Up!

~

Day 29: Final Boss Music

Here's the first thing that's come to mind again, it's the Boss Theme from Plok! on the SNES:

686,000 YouTube views is probably a lot higher than any other Plok! video has, and for very good reason: this song is a belter. The whole game deserves to be as famous as this tune tbf.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 29 EmptySat 29 Aug 2020 - 17:05

I want to cry. I just spent the last two hours listening to your tunes from the past week and a half, catching up and typing up my thoughts as I go... I think I pressed backspace or something and I've now lost the post. So, apologies, but I'm not going to be sharing my thoughts on your past efforts as I've now lost all motivation. Sad

I did listen to them all though. Sigh.

Right, here's my picks for 28 and 29.

Day 28: Nostalgic Tunes

Instantly takes me back to sitting cross-legged on my bedroom floor, lime green Game Boy Colour in head and big chunky Pokémon Pinball cartridge slotted into place. There's better tracks on the soundtrack as a whole, but none of them take me back quite like this one.

Day 29: Final Boss Themes

This one was tough as a lot of my picks have already been used - Hopes and Dream from Undertale, One Winged Angel from FFVII, Dancing Mad from FFVI to name but a few - so I decided to go for something from a game that I actually haven't played. Pokémon champion themes are always top notch, but there's something particularly great about this one.

Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 29 EmptySat 29 Aug 2020 - 18:55

Ouch.  Sorry Jay, I hate it when that happens. Aww! How long had you spent?  If it assuages the pain any I think the DP Champion theme's a belter, although I don't like the soundfont of that particular set of games much and feel that the Smash Wii U remix was needed to bring out its full potential!  (As someone who didn't play PokéPinball that piece was too bleepy for me, but I can appreciate the nostalgia.)

There have been some belting Poké-Champion themes actually.  I might have used B2W2's for Unplayed Day if (who else) Rum hadn't got there first.  

Also we have Mas doing Mas things (Kojima) and Cappa doing Cappa things (obscure-ish retro platformer).  Both ratchet up the tension effectively, but in both pieces I was waiting for an explosion into a proper hummable tune that never came. Boo

Buska: Regarding my personal nostalgic picks, the pieces I was thinking of have already been chosen (SM64, B-K) or I'm saving up as possibilities for tomorrow. Credits Day is going to be a Balla personal-nostalgia blowout! Assuming someone beats me to the Actual Best Pick, which I think is highly likely.

(copies text of comment before hitting 'Send' Pale )
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 29 EmptySat 29 Aug 2020 - 19:47

Some thoughts...:

@Buska 10 years is long enough to count as nostalgic isn't it? My alternative choice was going to be this. I had a lot of great memories playing this, the best multiplayer game ever so naturally it makes me a little nostalgic.

Day 29: Final Boss Music

Had to have a good look at what to use for my final boss music, a lot of the standout ones were already used elsewhere so had to have a look through my backlog at completed games and come up with this. It's got all the classic tropes of a final boss theme, ominous tones, high tempo guitar and a few bits of choir going "ah ah ah". I feel it all comes together well even if it does feel a little out of place of the game itself.

Last time I picked something a lot less typical of a final boss theme...:
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 29 EmptySun 30 Aug 2020 - 6:43

Day 30: End Credits

For my rupees, Skyward Sword has the best soundtrack in qll of Zelda. I'm really glad it survived all the way until today, as here we have a great medley of some of game'sbest tracks with a stellar transition into the series' theme in the middle there. Top stuff.

Also, Balla, we're right at the end, I've totally played by the Very Hard Mode rules . . . Why am I still being called out at the top of the games list Laughing
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 29 EmptySun 30 Aug 2020 - 9:37

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
masofdas wrote:
Did someone mention Kojima?

I laughed. Nothing but respect for how shameless this is. Good stuff  Thumbs Up!

Well I'm doing more Mas things but did plan to use this game some where as it's soundtracks (it has three available) are excellent along with how the music is used in the game, that it might be one of the best.

Also I can use that top British band again
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 29 EmptySun 30 Aug 2020 - 11:10

Buskalilly wrote:
Also, Balla, we're right at the end, I've totally played by the Very Hard Mode rules . . . Why am I still being called out at the top of the games list Laughing

Because I forgot? Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 29 Icon_shiftylol Fixed!

I'm going to have an opportunity to pick my actual first-choice credits music!  I'm dead surprised that the game got to Day 30 without someone, probably Mas, picking it up somewhere, but there we are.  It's a banger, it's a wonderful tune, and it's...

...not what I'm actually choosing.  This isn't so good, but it's a lot more meaningful to me.  MK64 was, I think, the first game I actually finished on my own (my parents did most of Super Mario 64 including the final boss); and this music brings back a lot of memories.  It's not obviously triumphant: like the first credits I ever watched and the most actually meaningful to me, it's almost melancholy.  'Don't be sad it's over - be happy because it happened,' it seems to say.  I was both.  Listening back to this, I still am.  (The cackling Thwomps spoil it a tiny bit...)

I'll post up my actual top pick tomorrow if nobody's chosen it by then.  I thought I'd leave another bit of nostalgia here that I doubt anybody else was going to choose:

The first proper game I ever played:

Also: don't forget that we're doing a 31st day!  Music or soundtracks that you're surprised haven't been used all month.  Basically your favourite tunes in games that haven't got a look-in yet.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 29 EmptySun 30 Aug 2020 - 11:55

I feel like there actually was a decent chance of Super Mario Land coming up; isn't it infamous for having good end credits music? That was certainly a banger.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 29 EmptySun 30 Aug 2020 - 12:17

Mario Kart 64 would have been a great choice for someone else if Balladeer didn't insist on making this 30 day challenge about his 2000 songs that he needed to crowbar in.

~

Day 30: Credits Music

Easy, Sonic Advance 3:

The best thing to come from the GBA's speakers, and maybe my favourite credits song ever.  Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 29 EmptySun 30 Aug 2020 - 12:49

Nope. If SML genuinely is a well-known banger (perhaps I underrate it to counteract my nostalgia?) and somebody wants/wanted to use it, I'd (a) feel guilty and (b) say they should do anyway. If somebody wanted MK64 then tough! It's genuinely the most 'Balla feels' credits after SM64 there is.

Very chill music there from Sonic, and a lovely swell around 1:12.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 29 EmptySun 30 Aug 2020 - 12:52

I would have gone for Double Dash if I was going for a Mario Kart game as it's the best one.

The CHVRCHES track as you say is very CHVRCHES but after the 40+ hour journey of Death Stranding, if you listen to the lyrics they make so much sense for that game why the track was recorded & called Death Stranding and is the last thing you will hear.

Last edited by masofdas on Sun 30 Aug 2020 - 22:10; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 29 EmptySun 30 Aug 2020 - 18:58

I need to do a poo, so can't comment on your lovely picks just yet! Apart from yeah you're probably right about Octopath Traveller, I think I'd hate playing it - but it looks so pretty!

29: Last boss

from Chibi-Robo - what a forgotten gem, and a character that's kind of been shat on. The music is as funky as Funky Phil all the way through to the last bit.

Speaking of funk

30: Credits

Pilotwings 64
I probably should have looked harder for something that was more wistful, emotional, and "end of a long journey" but actually I've gone for "well done mate, good laugh eh?"
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 29 EmptySun 30 Aug 2020 - 19:27

Day 28: Music that makes you nostalgic

Is this a good tune? Not really. But it's one of the first levels from Commander Keen in Goodbye Galaxy! which I spent many hours playing as a child (only for my older sisters to play for half the time and get much higher scores - how dare they be twice my age at the time). The grating sound effects and slightly wonky loops... what a delight.

Day 29: Final boss music

I LOVE the OST to Super Paper Mario, and I thought the plot was pretty brilliant too (though it's been a long time since I've actually played it). This is the perfect soundtrack to a battle with a traitorous, power-hungry demonic jester.

Day 30: Credits music

I don't think Balla ever chose Meteos for anything in the end, did he? This is a lovely tune I think. Proper swell into sounding totes triumphant.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 29 EmptySun 30 Aug 2020 - 19:42

I did not! Love I mentioned Meteos in the context of one of 'my 2000 songs that [ I ] needed to crowbar in', but felt that only a few of the pieces worked terribly well out of context - the opening, Gigantis maybe, and that... which I'd shamefully forgotten about entirely. Embarrassed Still, the pick of today's all sewn up.

BRB jamming hard to that Chibi-Robo pick, although again, I'd love to hear it burst into a funky melody.  The Pilot Wings 64 credits music sounds like a title screen theme, but I still like it!  More funk from Jimbob.

Then we have the warped, unsettling, brilliant Ultimate Show (SPM had a better story than TTYD. Shifty Now never make me admit that again), and... er... well, it's wrong to dump on anyone's childhood.  The only reason I'm not 'treating' y'all to music from Maths Blaster on the Amstrad is because I don't think it had any music.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 29 EmptySun 30 Aug 2020 - 21:51

One final catch up!:

28 - Music that makes you nostalgic

You can keep your Marios and Zeldas, this is where the big boys play. A lot games make me nostalgic, but this is something I spent a lot of time on in the late 90s, and I don't think it's possible to play it any more. Had a lot of fun in what was essentially game-ified Wikipedia.

29 - Final boss music

I rarely finish games so this was a tough one. There isn't really a typical boss in WCW/NWO Revenge but this is the Starrcade music (the equivalent of Wrestlemania) - and the game is commendable for having this choppy electric guitar in all of its tunes.

30 - Credits music

Whilst I sit there sobbing, contemplating what I've just played, this plays in the background as both a comforting reminder everything's going to be alright, and a bleak "live your life to the fullest" statement of hope. There's a fair bit of indie that can feel too try hard at times in Life is Strange, but this is the perfect ending track.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 29 EmptySun 30 Aug 2020 - 21:55

I don't disagree the Death Stranding track sounds like just a song but like I said it makes sense to that game seeing it was recorded for the game and shares the same name, which you can now play.

Last edited by masofdas on Sun 30 Aug 2020 - 22:24; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 29 EmptySun 30 Aug 2020 - 22:00

Balla: I'd spent about 2 hours on that post before it was lost... so yeah, I was a bit put out after that!

I nearly went for Super Paper Mario for my final boss music pick myself!

Day 30: Credits Themes

I had to think a wee bit out of the box for this one as my usual go-to credits banger (Faunts from Mass Effect) was already ineligible. But, I'm stunned Mas let this one go!

This plays as Snake heads off into the Alaskan wilderness following his mission at Shadow Moses. I love the haunting lyrics and strings that kick in after the wonderfully atmospheric wind instruments around the 1:30 mark. It's just a beautiful piece. If MGS1 released nowadays this would be an unrelated CHVRCHES track and Snake would be portrayed by the likeness of Guillermo del Toro.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 29 EmptyMon 31 Aug 2020 - 8:40

Bosses

That Metal Gear track was a classic moment. Little bit cheating but whatever.
The Mario and Luigi one was a decent bit of tune but the Partners in Time one was a real belter.
Plok and Shantae are pretty fun.
Cynthia is an all timer, one of my favourite pieces of games music going.

Credits

Balla's million songs were each good. Bit of a cheek on the lad, mind.
That Sonic 3 piece is surprisingly chill.
That's exactly how I imagined Pilotwings 64 sounding.
Life is Strange brought back some feels.
And then we have The Best Is Yet To Come. Jay kills it two days in a row.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 29 EmptyMon 31 Aug 2020 - 10:46

Quickly: the credits piece I'm surprised didn't come up was Wind Waker's beautiful mix.  Anyway:

BONUS! DAY 31: Music from a game you're surprised hasn't been done already

Wait, wrong day 31...

Yep.  It's obviously my favourite soundtrack ever and it's gone unpicked all month.  That's not entirely surprising, since a lot of its top tunes don't fit nicely into 'themes'.  If we were doing 'ice level, fire level, jungle level' etc. we'd be golden.  So here's DKCTF's take on grassland music, with a tune that changes three times throughout the level to end on one of the most rousing notes in gaming.  I love it, it's great, and it's part of the greatest tracklist in gaming ever (IMHO).

Huge thanks to everyone who's taken part this month. Definitely one of the most successful forum doodahs we've had in a long time, and one that I thoroughly enjoyed, natch! Grin
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 29 EmptyMon 31 Aug 2020 - 11:21

I really want to play Tropical Freeze but am always put off by the amount of time I spent swearing at DKC Returns. That music is very Moana, which is high praise indeed.

I picked Jet Set Radio Future but I'm surprised nobody picked the original Jet Set Radio given its status as one of gaming great soundtracks. But also no Tony Hawks!

I think Tony Hawks 2 may have my favourite licensed soundtrack (3 a close second).

Also echoing Balla's thoughts - this has been really enjoyable and also an education on just how many games I need to play. Across the (about) 10 of us there's a LOT of gaming history here.

Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 29 EmptyMon 31 Aug 2020 - 12:48

Yes to Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2. The list goes on for quality music on that soundtrack.

~

BONUS! DAY 31: Music from a game you're surprised hasn't been done already

Nobody had anything from Guitar Hero. Maybe that's because it faded away a while ago, but anybody who was around in the mid-to-late 2000s knows what a massive deal those games were. Seems to make sense to choose the song perhaps most synonymous with the series, Through The Fire And The Flames from Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock:

Could never be arsed with DragonForce, but maybe someone else will enjoy (or just go listen to gjones's song).

That challenge was good fun! I really liked the obscure stuff - there were a few good tunes that I'd never heard before.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 29 EmptyMon 31 Aug 2020 - 14:06

My guide for 'do I like a rock song' is genuinely, 'Would it make a good anime intro/outro?'  I like both of those suggestions. Grin That said, that DragonForce piece just doesn't look fun to play.  At that point you may as well learn and become really good at the actual guitar, surely?

gjones wrote:
I really want to play Tropical Freeze but am always put off by the amount of time I spent swearing at DKC Returns.

This is very fair. I think TF is slightly more forgiving - you don't die immediately when hitting something in a barrel rocket level, for instance. It's still full of sweary bits though, Bopopolis being a particular demon of mine for a good while. The soundtrack's the best bit of the game, no question.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 29 EmptyMon 31 Aug 2020 - 15:35

In terms of songs, and the games they come from, which I'm genuinely surprised didn't get a mention, there are two NES masterpieces which basically invented modern gaming . . .

Of course this has been orchestrated and reorchestrated adnauseum but I still think the original is epic in its own way. A Legend indeed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0   Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0 - Page 29 Empty

Back to top Go down

Official(?) Nintendo Consoles Music Thread v2.0
Page 29 of 39Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 39  Next