We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3

Go down 
+11
The Cappuccino Kid
OrangeRakoon
Treesmurf
Crumpy Andy
gjones
ZeroJones
Jimbob
The_Jaster
Muss
JayMoyles
masofdas
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 25 ... 30  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 20 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 20 EmptyTue 23 Feb 2021 - 20:51

Yeah Wand is rather funny
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 20 EmptyWed 24 Feb 2021 - 11:58

I'll do my list as well, which hopefully is a bit less mad but which I'm sure will still irk people (as these things usually do!).  Again, grouping them into three sections: top 25 of all time material, other good-to-great games, and games that I probably wouldn't have stuck with if they weren't Zelda games.  Games marked with * are ones where I've played the remake and am grouping that in.

1. Breath of the Wild
2. Twilight Princess
3. Ocarina of Time*
4. A Link Between Worlds
5. Minish Cap
6. Wind Waker*

7. Four Swords Adventures
8. Majora's Mask
9. Skyward Sword
10. Link's Awakening* (remake only)

11. Spirit Tracks
12. Phantom Hourglass
13. A Link to the Past* (GBA remake only)
14. The original

Not counted: Oracle of Seasons which I played about thirty minutes of.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 20 EmptyWed 24 Feb 2021 - 12:10

Wind Waker 6th now that is madness, what about Tri Force and Zelda II?
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 20 EmptyWed 24 Feb 2021 - 12:21

Zelda games would make for a brilliant Simply The Best conversation.

https://www.gnamer.com/t1152-simply-the-best
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 20 EmptyThu 25 Feb 2021 - 1:29

I'm not gonna do a list until I finish replaying them. Mine will be definitive and factual, though, so it won't annoy anyone.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 20 EmptyThu 25 Feb 2021 - 8:40

Like Nintendo Life's where they used Maths
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 20 EmptyThu 25 Feb 2021 - 10:40

I think it doesn't make sense to rank all Zelda games together because of the different genres they straddle. I have unarguably separated them out into Zelda genre groupings to make a better ranking like so:

2D

1. Link's Awakening
2. Minish Cap
3. Oracle of Ages/Seasons
4. A Link to the Past
5. Spirit Tracks

3D

1. Ocarina of Time
2. Majora's Mask
3. Wind Waker
4. Twilight Princess

Open world

1. Breath of the Wild
2. A Link Between Worlds
3. The Legend of Zelda

Action-adventure

1. Skyward Sword

Multiplayer

1. Four Swords Adventures
2. Phantom Hourglass
3. Four Swords
4. Triforce Heroes

Trash

1. Zelda II
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 20 EmptyThu 25 Feb 2021 - 10:42

Here is mine.

1. BotW
2. Majora's Mask

That's it, those are all the Zelda games that I have played.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 20 EmptyThu 25 Feb 2021 - 11:28

I've not played enough of them to rank properly, but of what I've played:

1. Twilight Princess
2. Ocarina of Time
3. A Link to the Past
4. Wind Waker
5. Breath of the Wild

I like what OR has done - I'm a fan of the 3D dungeon-to-dungeon Zeldas and BotW is only low because I bounced off of it. It's clearly a great game.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 20 EmptyThu 25 Feb 2021 - 12:06

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
Zelda games would make for a brilliant Simply The Best conversation.

https://www.gnamer.com/t1152-simply-the-best

That's a good point, and if anybody wants to move it over to that thread then I'll tag along... but there have been a few more posts since mine and I don't feel it's worth the shift now personally.

OrangeRakoon wrote:
I think it doesn't make sense to rank all Zelda games together because of the different genres they straddle.

I've got a list of my Top 25 Switch games that compares BotW with Murder by Numbers. 🤷

OrangeRakoon wrote:
I have unarguably separated them out into Zelda genre groupings to make a better ranking like so:

2D

1. Link's Awakening
2. Minish Cap...

Aaaaand immediately it's not unarguable.

OrangeRakoon wrote:
Multiplayer

2. Phantom Hourglass

Wait... did PH have multiplayer?

masofdas wrote:
...what about Tri Force and Zelda II?

Not even tried 'em.

I'm really quite surprised that there are any ex-NGamer fans who have played as few Zeldas as Muss and GJones have!  I'm guessing you didn't have any of the handhelds GJones?  Otherwise I'm presuming you'd have got on Link Between Worlds already as a fan of LttP (which I've never seen the charm of myself, coming to it in a post-Ocarina world as I did).
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 20 EmptyThu 25 Feb 2021 - 13:42

Balladeer wrote:

I'm really quite surprised that there are any ex-NGamer fans who have played as few Zeldas as Muss and GJones have!  I'm guessing you didn't have any of the handhelds GJones?  Otherwise I'm presuming you'd have got on Link Between Worlds already as a fan of LttP (which I've never seen the charm of myself, coming to it in a post-Ocarina world as I did).

I owned Link's Awakening on GameBoy and Minish Cap on GBA, but I only put like 30 minutes into them at the time, so I left them out. I've played a few hours of Wind Waker, Breath of the Wild, Link to the Past and Skyward Sword (which I oddly forgot) and they are all games I admire and want to fall in love with, but I "did a Metroid Prime on them". Which is to say I played the first few hours then never felt the urge to return to them. Ocarina and Twilight I must have sunk 80+ hours into each and Twilight is the only one I've finished. They both grabbed me but the Zelda series has always been one where I get stuck on something and then the solution would often be something I'd never think of (or completely forgot about) so while I like the games in general, a 3D Mario excites me more.

That's a good point you raise though Balla. Of the "big 3" (Mario, Zelda, Metroid), I've always had most fun with "the other stuff" on Nintendo platforms. It might be a psychological issue, as I'm also not arsed about Metal Gear on PlayStation or Halo on Xbox. Maybe I'm not gaming correctly Grin
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 20 EmptyThu 25 Feb 2021 - 14:31

Balladeer wrote:

1v1 competitive, wireless and online! Alternate between attacking as Link trying to collect force gems and defending with phantoms to block Link and protect your own gems. It's brilliant too B)
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 20 EmptyThu 25 Feb 2021 - 20:44

masofdas wrote:
Yeah Wand is rather funny

So is Breath of the Wild, did you not read the Seal conversations?

Buskalilly wrote:
I'm not gonna do a list until I finish replaying them. Mine will be definitive and factual, though, so it won't annoy anyone.

Same here, some I need to play again like Skyward Sword and some I've never finished like A Link to the Past.

OrangeRakoon wrote:
Balladeer wrote:

1v1 competitive, wireless and online! Alternate between attacking as Link trying to collect force gems and defending with phantoms to block Link and protect your own gems. It's brilliant too B)

Oh I remember this now, it was great, multiplayer Zelda is something that hasn't been explored anywhere near enough.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 20 EmptyThu 25 Feb 2021 - 21:13

Nah would mean playing it longer than I had to

I've liked the idea of replaying or playing a series for the first time, I was keen to do Castlevania but never got around to it.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 20 EmptyThu 25 Feb 2021 - 21:44

gjones wrote:
There is a really good article on the Guardian ranking them there Zelda games: https://www.theguardian.com/games/2021/feb/19/the-legend-of-zelda-games-ranked

Keza MacDonald is probably my spirit animal - that's pretty much my order there. I think I'd still put Ocarina of Time above Majora's Mask, and Zelda II a little bit higher because of nostalgia, but otherwise, that.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 20 EmptyFri 26 Feb 2021 - 15:48

gjones wrote:
I owned Link's Awakening on GameBoy and Minish Cap on GBA, but I only put like 30 minutes into them at the time, so I left them out. I've played a few hours of Wind Waker, Breath of the Wild, Link to the Past and Skyward Sword (which I oddly forgot) and they are all games I admire and want to fall in love with, but I "did a Metroid Prime on them". Which is to say I played the first few hours then never felt the urge to return to them. Ocarina and Twilight I must have sunk 80+ hours into each and Twilight is the only one I've finished. They both grabbed me but the Zelda series has always been one where I get stuck on something and then the solution would often be something I'd never think of (or completely forgot about) so while I like the games in general, a 3D Mario excites me more.

That's a good point you raise though Balla. Of the "big 3" (Mario, Zelda, Metroid), I've always had most fun with "the other stuff" on Nintendo platforms. It might be a psychological issue, as I'm also not arsed about Metal Gear on PlayStation or Halo on Xbox. Maybe I'm not gaming correctly Grin

Funnily enough I can actually relate to 'doing a Metroid Prime', which is something I even did with Metroid Prime! That said, with games like Metroid Prime I did force myself to return to them because I thought it'd most likely be worth it, and I was usually right. I'm surprised to read about the puzzles though, they've never seemed like the stickiest bits of most modern Zeldas (the older ones can be tortuous though).

You're probably also just not gaming correctly though. Tongue

Treesmurf wrote:
...multiplayer Zelda is something that hasn't been explored anywhere near enough.

I'd get behind this wholeheartedly, only I'm aware what my thoughts of multiplayer 3D Mario were after wanting it for ages. Neutral
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 20 EmptyWed 3 Mar 2021 - 17:01

I love this photo that Games Ayslum shared on Twitter, it's from his local Sainsburys on the Switch's launch day four years ago:

MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 20 EvjnY85XcAItp3f?format=jpg&name=900x900

Early beginnings there. I guess it would have been almost exactly four years ago that I finished work, headed down the street to my local GAME and saw they'd had a secret midnight launch and everything but Just Dance 2017 and one copy of Super Bomberman R had sold out.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 20 EmptyThu 4 Mar 2021 - 16:04

I may have asked this before or something similar, as this came to me yesterday after reading Retro Gamer issue 216 which had a big thing on the PS2 then Project Zero/Fatal Frame a series I do sort like, but I have only played Crimson Butterfly on OG Xbox & Wii and Maiden of Black Water on Wii U, along with some Discord chat.

I've talked about my lack off love for the PS2 before, yet in the last few years I have grown more fond of it and stuff like Shadow of the Colossus I regard as one of the greatest experiences ever.

That if even I've missed things on the PS2, I overall still played things on it and have picked up things in recent years for it. While we've had the recent announcement of Pokémon Diamond and Pearl remakes one of the few Pokémon games I've completely missed and till the remakes of Ruby & Sapphire I missed those as well.

This is when I released I pretty much totally missed the GBA, all I remember is getting one at launch and having the NES SP at some point that is it. I think I missed it as I was that weird age where I didn't want a purple kids system, I wanted Halo on Xbox because that's cool.

Have any of you totally missed a console for a dumb reason like me or something else? I know that is rather broad, and you could all say the CDI or Jaguar however I'm thinking more of the mainstream systems and till recently would have said Buska with PS4 where now I expect to see a Spider-Man review at some point from him.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 20 EmptyThu 4 Mar 2021 - 16:37

I missed consoles because I was only ever allowed 1 home machine and 1 handheld as a child.

Today, I miss consoles because I don't want to spend money on more than 1 home console and 1 handheld. That might change when there are more things for the newer machines, but there doesn't seem like much on the horizon that'll change my mind in the short term.

If there are things I regret not buying, then it's generally board games as they have a tendency to go out of print. Video games and their machines just don't have that same pull on me, with the possible exception of NCAA Football 13 - the last college football game before some stupid lawsuit stopped EA from making them.

Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 20 EmptyThu 4 Mar 2021 - 17:26

EA are actually bringing back College Football
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 20 EmptyThu 4 Mar 2021 - 17:26

Yeah, the PlayStation 3 is the one for me. I was balls deep on the Xbox 360 from the get go and felt no need to grab a PS3, during, or after the fact. Getting a PS4 pretty much confirmed I was never going to get one as I've managed to play the Uncharteds and I don't believe there are many exclusives on the platform that really tickle my fancy (now that Yakuza has been let loose).

The PS3 looked horrible at the time as well, like something out of Robot Wars. But Microsoft had me with their excellent online service, the addictive Achievements system and all my mates were on it. I didn't have a PSP either - and I doubt I'll get one either. Those are my two blind spots really (oh and Xbox One, but again, it's the PS3/360 argument, just reversed - having a PS4 I don't feel the need to have both).
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 20 EmptyThu 4 Mar 2021 - 17:41

masofdas wrote:
EA are actually bringing back College Football

They are indeed, and I'm happy to see it return. It's just a shame that EA have not made a good Madden game since the PS3/360 era (and even then, the PS2 era games are their best work by far!). The last Madden I played, 20, was dreadful so my expectations are low for their next NCAA game.

Cappa mentioned the GM mode on Raw v SD elsewhere, and he's bang on in terms of it being a complete mystery as to why it's absent from the modern games. EA are just as guilty when it comes to tearing things out of Madden. The old NCAA games were hooked up to websites where you could create teams, stadiums, and logos to then download into your game. I'm assuming that all that kind of jazz which separated it from other sports games is going to be lost but we'll see!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 20 EmptyThu 4 Mar 2021 - 21:49

gjones wrote:
Yeah, the PlayStation 3 is the one for me.

Laughing at this being the only Nontendo machine I bought! I'm guessing this particular question isn't aimed at me: I didn't miss any Nintendo machines because what would I have played otherwise?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 20 EmptyThu 4 Mar 2021 - 21:56

Now 16 years later, my thoughts on the 360 are very similar to the PS2'S and I actually played the 360 a lot.

Virtual Boy, Balla but more seriously due to age etc did you get most out of the Gameboy Color for instance?
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 20 EmptyThu 4 Mar 2021 - 23:02

Nope, I got on it! I missed some special editions - Game Boy Pocket, GBA Micro, 2DS - but no Nintendo consoles from the time I became active. I suppose the New 3DS might count? It had games exclusive to it I think.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 20 Empty

Back to top Go down

MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3
Page 20 of 30Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 25 ... 30  Next