Direct-cellent or Dire-ect? Find out on Tuesday!

HomeHome  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 21, 22, 23
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Koizumi
masofdas

MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 23 EmptyMon 7 Jun 2021 - 20:10

Why I also mentioned the 3DS as now we do only have one Nintendo system, while we had two back then, sure you have to buy both of them, just I still reckon if we looked at all what was out be a good bunch.

And inferior 3rd party games still a thing Wink

Last edited by masofdas on Mon 7 Jun 2021 - 22:25; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
The Next Aonuma
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 23 EmptyMon 7 Jun 2021 - 22:13

The 3DS had its dark times too but I don't think they coincided with the Wii U's much. That said, when we were doing Buska's Nin Ten Years thing I remember 2015 being an absolute bastard to put together musics for. Looking back, I needed to resort to DLC to make a list. 2016 was pretty lousy too, Spirit of Justice notwithstanding.

I think overall I'm with Cappa, but then I've had the eShop to last me through 2018 and 2020, something (as he frequently reminds us) that Mas didn't have because he gets them all on inferior machines for prices that reflect said inferiority.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The Cappuccino Kid
Major Circuit Champion
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 23 EmptyTue 8 Jun 2021 - 19:49

Maybe my memories of the Wii U times would be fonder if there was a fully-fledged Animal Crossing for it. Animal Crossing is a massive part of my memories for the GameCube, Wii, DS and 3DS, eating up loads of my total gameplay time for them all. New Horizons was worth the generational wait for sure, but in it’s empty void there’s just memories of Turbo Super Stunt Squad and Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Koizumi
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 23 EmptyTue 8 Jun 2021 - 20:02

That part of issue as I do look at 3DS and U sort together, as you point out Wii U didn't get a proper Animal Crossing.

Which is understandable due to how well Animal Crossing did on 3DS and poorly Wii U did.

The gamss Wii U did get clearly are good as look at how they're doing on Switch, that I do wonder if Wii U wasn't called Wii U and had better marketing etc if it could had been successful. If it had what we have now a 4KDS handheld and PlayBox console.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Monkey-in-a-Ball
Muss

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 23 EmptyWed 9 Jun 2021 - 16:56

There are things that could have been done for sure, but ultimately I think the Wii U was an idea ahead and behind the times.

We already had smart devices, as in smart looking things, like iPads which are aesthetically far better looking than the fisher price tablet the Wii U had. But that gamepad was the, quite literally, big thing the Wii U had to distinguish it from the Wii or the other consoles.

There were some cool things you could do with duel video outputs, you know one player looking at the tablet the other player(s) using the TV, but ultimately most people play with their mates online now, or they're happy sharing a TV screen. For single player games, let's be honest, games that forced you to look at the tablet over the TV would generally have been better forsaking the tablet. An extra screen is fine on a DS but maybe less so on when you are looking up at your TV and then down at a tablet.

The unique things the tablet brought to the table weren't really good enough. The Wii had a gimmick that intuitively captured the imagination, while the true portability of the Switch and it's modern look are also great. Compare either of those to the Wii U tablet and even without Rufus Hound getting his sweaty paws all over the marketing it would have flopped. Like, what do you think parents would prefer; something their child can hold or a Wii U gamepad?

People can point at the name, the marketing, and all sorts of other things when it comes to the Wii U, but for me it all boils down this: The Wii U concept didn't capture the imagination of enough people.

And I like the Wii U tablet. I found it surprisingly comfortable, a convenient Netflix device, and it brought a lot of good to the fore in certain multiplayer games. But I can see why it didn't work for so many people.

For me, the more interesting hypothetical question is: If we had a Wii 2, which had about the same power as the Wii U but the gamepad was a separate peripheral you could buy that was compatible with all games as a controller, as a screen for when the TV is off, and as a second screen in some games, would it still have flopped?
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
The Next Aonuma
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 23 EmptyWed 9 Jun 2021 - 21:48

I think there's a couple of questions to untangle from that last one Muss. The first is, was the tablet a good enough gimmick? (Probably not given that Nintendo themselves didn't seem to know what to do with it half the time.) The second is, would Wii 2 have had clearer messaging and sold better? (Surely.) And the third is, which of those was the bigger factor?

One that I don't see anyone mention about the Wii U: I think there was also a launch issue. Of course, bad launches aren't insurmountable: the 3DS ended up doing well enough. But New Super Mario Bros. U and Nintendo Land aren't the killer apps. anyone needed or wanted. Nintendo Land ended up being a cult classic, sure, but cult classics don't sell machines. The home consoles either side of it had a Zelda apiece, not to mention Wii Sports.

@masofdas wrote:
That part of issue as I do look at 3DS and U sort together, as you point out Wii U didn't get a proper Animal Crossing.

I do this as well, and I don't care much for Animal Crossing, and I still think the Switch has been better overall than last gen. Probably not the gen. before though, Wii and DS included.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3   MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3 - Page 23 Empty

Back to top Go down

MY BRAIN HAD A THINK ABOUT A GAM3
Page 23 of 23Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 21, 22, 23