Nintendo in encouraging Emio-lation shocker

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Weird Things That Get You Excited

Go down 
+6
The_Jaster
JayMoyles
Balladeer
Buskalilly
Muss
Crumpy Andy
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

Weird Things That Get You Excited Empty
PostSubject: Weird Things That Get You Excited   Weird Things That Get You Excited EmptySat 21 Apr 2018 - 16:56

I think this is new at least. I was playing God of War and I hit the L3 button and he suddenly started hurtling forward as if he still wore Hermes boots. I love it when a character can run fast, I'm always trying to find the quickest way to get my character from point A to point B and it upsets me terribly when there is no way to run or if the run animation is barely faster than walking.

What average things can make or break a game for you? What are your best examples of this feature? What is love? Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Weird Things That Get You Excited   Weird Things That Get You Excited EmptySat 21 Apr 2018 - 18:55

I felt just like that with the sprint feature in Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.

Being able to say, "hello!" at people in that mountain village in Uncharted 2. Spent ages doing that, genuinely the best bit of that game by far.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Weird Things That Get You Excited   Weird Things That Get You Excited EmptySun 22 Apr 2018 - 6:04

Lots of little things like this make all the difference for me.

Similar to Muss' "hello" from Uncharted, if a game features dogs/ cats, I need to be able to pet them or interact with them in some way.

A really good dodge/ parry does wonders. The Platinum dodge, as seen in Bayonetta and Transformers, or the Dark Souls Parry . . . and seeing those ideas copied in Monster Hunter Generations and Breath of the Wild! A good dodge mechanic makes or breaks an action game as far as I'm concerned. It was the subject of my article for Super FX magazine . . . but then the magazine closed before that issue came out. I'm waiting a respectful amount of time, then I'll stick it on Ginny I expect.

Lastly, this one's a bit different, but watching Die Hard 4 gets me excited for new Pokemon games. I've discussed it before, but basically I saw it the same day I picked up Pokemon Pearl and that was me getting right back into Pokemon. I watch that film before release day for new generations ever since.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Weird Things That Get You Excited   Weird Things That Get You Excited EmptySun 22 Apr 2018 - 19:28

Nice thread. We need stuff like this during the Switch droughts.

Agreed with the dodge/parry - BotW's dodge was immensely satisfying. Also agreed with the dash. In general, if a game has an opportunity to upgrade pace dramatically, and that feels like a dramatic upgrade in pace (either through viewpoint, or screen judders, or rumble or what have you), I'll be all over that. A recent example might be SMO's Jaxi.

You can't go further than Celeste's Prologue for a recent example for me. The last bit is what I've been quoting over and over again as a magic moment. It really got me excited to play the rest of the game.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Weird Things That Get You Excited   Weird Things That Get You Excited EmptySun 22 Apr 2018 - 23:14

I suppose in RPGs I always get dead excited when you can see the enemies on the overworld. Random sudden battles should stay in ancient gaming history where they belong.

I'm also a sucker for destructible environments. Throwing a grenade at some cover in an FPS and seeing debris fly everywhere gets me giddy. Grin
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Weird Things That Get You Excited   Weird Things That Get You Excited EmptyMon 23 Apr 2018 - 2:05

Every time you inexplicably bring up the co-called "switch drought" in an unrelated thread I roll my eyes so hard I see backwards in time, peer into the face of God and know the eternal truths. Please stop before I cast myself finally and fatally into the burning void.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Weird Things That Get You Excited   Weird Things That Get You Excited EmptyMon 23 Apr 2018 - 9:27

JayMoyles wrote:

I'm also a sucker for destructible environments. Throwing a grenade at some cover in an FPS and seeing debris fly everywhere gets me giddy. Grin

You ever play the Red faction games? The destructible environments in that were quite good and there's a remaster coming soon as well. Also by law I have to mention R6 Siege here as that's a big reason why it has stayed fresh for me for the last 2 and a half years.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Weird Things That Get You Excited   Weird Things That Get You Excited EmptyMon 23 Apr 2018 - 9:49

I still remember being blown away by the initial E3 showing of Siege. And they gave me a can of monster, so all around a top game.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Weird Things That Get You Excited   Weird Things That Get You Excited EmptyMon 23 Apr 2018 - 10:24

Laughing That initial E3 showing was really just a proof concept trailer as you can't just destroy any part of a building you want, it'd work for a single player game but for MP you need to scale it back for the sake of balance but overall they did nail it as you can't just worry about what's in front of you.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Weird Things That Get You Excited   Weird Things That Get You Excited EmptyMon 23 Apr 2018 - 19:53

JayMoyles wrote:
I suppose in RPGs I always get dead excited when you can see the enemies on the overworld. Random sudden battles should stay in ancient gaming history where they belong.

Absolutely this, but at this stage I think of it more as a 'should have' than an 'excited when it comes up'. That said, the option to change the frequency of random encounters in games that have them? Exciting.

Also: big things. (No.) Coming across a massive open plain, or a really big monster, gets me excited. That's why I'm a sucker for the Xenoblade series.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Weird Things That Get You Excited   Weird Things That Get You Excited EmptyMon 23 Apr 2018 - 21:07

The smell of the pages in a freshly printed book.

Oh, right, game stuff. This is going to sound a bit bonkers, but it's in the vein of Drunka's thing about satisfying dodge mechanics. For me the thing that makes or breaks actions games, and something I love, is the satisfaction of impacts, of hitting things, in a game.

Remember in Smash Bros how more powerful attacks would take a split second before they're send your opponent hurtling through the air? Or Batman Arkham Asylum where every blow had the slightest of pauses. That sort of tiny thing really sends feedback to me and makes the simple act of punching, kicking, or slashing something so satisfying. You can almost feel the attack.

Insane over the top attacks are all well and good, but to me the best kind of action is when you can feel your attacks blowing your opponent back. Probably why I find myself maining characters like Nightmare in Soul Calibur.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Weird Things That Get You Excited   Weird Things That Get You Excited EmptyMon 23 Apr 2018 - 21:23

Yes. Utterly agree. Whatever the manoeuvre or attack is, I want it to feel like it has some punch behind it. (Although I played Talim in SC2. 🤷 )
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Weird Things That Get You Excited   Weird Things That Get You Excited EmptyMon 23 Apr 2018 - 21:38

The_Jaster wrote:
JayMoyles wrote:

You ever play the Red faction games? The destructible environments in that were quite good and there's a remaster coming soon as well. Also by law I have to mention R6 Siege here as that's a big reason why it has stayed fresh for me for the last 2 and a half years.

I played a demo of it back on 360, and I adored crumbling everything around me with explosive and big ol' sledgehammers. I didn't know about the remaster - colour me interested.

Athrun888 wrote:

Remember in Smash Bros how more powerful attacks would take a split second before they're send your opponent hurtling through the air?  Or Batman Arkham Asylum where every blow had the slightest of pauses.  That sort of tiny thing really sends feedback to me and makes the simple act of punching, kicking, or slashing something so satisfying.  You can almost feel the attack.   

That has a name - hitlag! It's a big thing in fighting games. There's nothing more satisfying than hitting Andy with a big move in Injustice 2 then comboing Andy into another move before juggling him into another move before finishing Andy off with a super attack to win the match before he's barely made a dent into my first health bar all whilst his character freezes for a tiny moment with each blow. That's not a specific example or anything... Winky Face
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Weird Things That Get You Excited   Weird Things That Get You Excited EmptyTue 24 Apr 2018 - 8:11

Beat me to it Jay! Yeah, Hitlag is one of those things that you never notice is there, but it's absolutely MASSIVE when it isn't there.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Weird Things That Get You Excited   Weird Things That Get You Excited EmptyTue 24 Apr 2018 - 9:54

When you get a randomly-generated track on F-Zero X's X Cup that has all the other racers fall off of the circuit and die on the first corner, that gets me excited every time. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Weird Things That Get You Excited   Weird Things That Get You Excited EmptyTue 24 Apr 2018 - 11:37

JayMoyles wrote:

That has a name - hitlag! It's a big thing in fighting games. There's nothing more satisfying than hitting Andy with a big move in Injustice 2 then comboing Andy into another move before juggling him into another move before finishing Andy off with a super attack to win the match before he's barely made a dent into my first health bar all whilst his character freezes for a tiny moment with each blow. That's not a specific example or anything... Winky Face

Sure that's not just beating Andy that get's you excited.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Weird Things That Get You Excited   Weird Things That Get You Excited EmptyTue 24 Apr 2018 - 17:56

I explicitly said that's not a specific example at all Mas. I would never find great enjoyment in beating up my good friend Crumpy "Andrery" Ricey Boy Man 949 in Injustice 2.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Weird Things That Get You Excited   Weird Things That Get You Excited EmptyTue 24 Apr 2018 - 19:47

Non-Specific Andyman Figure.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Weird Things That Get You Excited   Weird Things That Get You Excited EmptyWed 25 Apr 2018 - 21:29

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
When you get a randomly-generated track on F-Zero X's X Cup that has all the other racers fall off of the circuit and die on the first corner, that gets me excited every time. Thumbs Up!
I concur with the Thumbs Up!

A bit predictable this - a movement mechanic that's difficult to pull-off but great when you can chain a bunch together. Thinking of Mario 64's wall jumps, which were less forgiving than their modern counterparts.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Weird Things That Get You Excited   Weird Things That Get You Excited EmptyThu 26 Apr 2018 - 20:52

This is a big one, and I don't think it's terribly weird, but - music and gameplay matching up. Two obvious examples of this: the Celeste prologue (is silenced before he can get going) and the musical strikes when you slash a foe in Wind Waker. Far from the only examples, natch, but when the two combine well, they can be so much more than the sum of their parts.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Weird Things That Get You Excited   Weird Things That Get You Excited EmptyThu 26 Apr 2018 - 21:45

As a tenuously linked point, I really enjoy when games use a vocal track when you least expect to really heighten a particular moment. MGS is the king of this with the now legendary ladder climb in MGS3 or the helicopter battle in Peace Walker, but my personal favourite is the arrival to Mexico in Red Dead Redemption with that Jose Gonzalez track playing. Magic. I wish I could think of more examples, but that's definitely a somewhat weird thing to get excited about.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Weird Things That Get You Excited   Weird Things That Get You Excited EmptyFri 27 Apr 2018 - 3:25

Bayonetta is great at that, particularly the first one where the song was more emotionally linked to the story and felt less shoehorned in. And of course Super Mario Odyssey's festival.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Weird Things That Get You Excited   Weird Things That Get You Excited EmptyFri 27 Apr 2018 - 13:03

I get excited when a title screen says 'Press Any Button To Start' and I can. *pushes L3*
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Weird Things That Get You Excited   Weird Things That Get You Excited EmptyFri 27 Apr 2018 - 13:37

I've found myself getting excited about the lumpy bits on girls' bodies in recent years. How's that for weird?
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Weird Things That Get You Excited   Weird Things That Get You Excited EmptyFri 27 Apr 2018 - 19:39

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
I get excited when a title screen says 'Press Any Button To Start' and I can. *pushes L3*

Good man, couldn't agree more. Thumbs Up!

Drunkalilly wrote:
I've found myself getting excited about the lumpy bits on girls' bodies in recent years. How's that for weird?

Bad man, get back on those tentacles like the rest of us good God fearing men.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weird Things That Get You Excited   Weird Things That Get You Excited Empty

Back to top Go down

Weird Things That Get You Excited
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next