We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch

Go down 
+12
Treesmurf
Jimbob
The_Jaster
Buskalilly
JayMoyles
Balladeer
The Cappuccino Kid
Athrun888
EofGizmo
Muss
Crumpy Andy
masofdas
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch Empty
PostSubject: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch EmptyWed 30 May 2018 - 5:35

Woke up before work and the rumors are very much real. I like the art-style and I guess seems all players will able to play.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch EmptyWed 30 May 2018 - 10:40

Really not keen on this from what I've seen. I didn't like the catching mechanic in Go, that was the main reason I stopped playing it very quickly. Taking away wild Pokemon battles for that is very much not up my street.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch EmptyWed 30 May 2018 - 10:44

I was charmed but equally somewhat underwhelmed when i realised it was only kanto. I understand them wanting to go for nostalgia but it might all be too limited for my tastes.

Then i realised the next main iteration of pkm is still coming later, so if this appeals to Go fans and we get a proper new pkm game that freshens things up in the future we can have the best of best worlds.

I'm not sure these versions are for me but i am excited that game freak are clearly experimenting with new things which could bode well for future games.
Back to top Go down
EofGizmo
FMK Tagline
EofGizmo

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch EmptyWed 30 May 2018 - 11:42

I think putting out these more potentially "Casual" games is actually a smart move. The Switch (And Pokemon GO) has reached a much larger audience than the core Fan bases and combining the two in a spin off game this year whilst they are putting more time onto what i can only imagine is going to be a huge project in terms of the 8th Gen games keeps the Pokemon name in the conversation whilst also drumming up interest from the GO crowd.

For me personally im very excited to return to Kanto with such a boost graphically, i love the idea of couch co op for partners/children that perhaps haven't experienced the pokemon world yet and from what the trailer shows the battle system looks like a traditional one.

The only real worry for me is the GO catching mechanics but as long as there is still a fun way to develop your pokemon teams i can totally live with it, especially now they've said these are essentially spin offs.

Ultimately having Smash and a good looking Pokemon Spin Off game for the Xmas period sounds pretty good to me!

Also Nintendo, do Eevee and Pikachu Joy Con sets...seriously... its pure money
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch EmptyWed 30 May 2018 - 12:57

A wild Athrun888 post appeared!

That trailer left me fairly whelmed. It feels like it has elements of what Go should have had, that is proper trainer battles. Seriously Go's absurdly simple repetitive "gameplay" is a large reason its died off.

Surprised they're trying so hard to tie this to Go, given how its long lost the favour of the casual crowd. Still I'll say this, I prefer this sort of thing to a generic remake of Kanto, which has been done to death. Decent amounts of the core series are present, and the fresh venere shall give the game an appeal that a 1:1 remake in 3d of Kanto would not have done.

I'm interested, which after Sun and Moon completely killed my interest in the franchise (USUM are the first ever mainline games I've never played and have zero desire to even try) says the trailer must have left a positive impression on me. I'll pick this up in a year when I also have a Switch, and probably enjoy it a great deal if it doesn't share the negative aspects of Sun and Moon.

The wild Athrun888 fled!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch EmptyWed 30 May 2018 - 13:24

I've rewatched the trailer and now read all the info as well.

I've sort see this like Forza Horizon and Motorsport, the genre is the same however one is more forgiving (I do think the core Pokémon games are a bit of a easy JRPG though) then the other one but the more accessible one will still appeal to peeps who want a robust game.

Can't wait to have my team of Eevee, Jolteon, Flareon, Vaporeon, Venusaur and Alakazam.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch EmptyWed 30 May 2018 - 18:04

EofGizmo wrote:
I think putting out these more potentially "Casual" games is actually a smart move. The Switch (And Pokemon GO) has reached a much larger audience than the core Fan bases and combining the two in a spin off game this year whilst they are putting more time onto what i can only imagine is going to be a huge project in terms of the 8th Gen games keeps the Pokemon name in the conversation whilst also drumming up interest from the GO crowd.

For me personally im very excited to return to Kanto with such a boost graphically, i love the idea of couch co op for partners/children that perhaps haven't experienced the pokemon world yet and from what the trailer shows the battle system looks like a traditional one.

The only real worry for me is the GO catching mechanics but as long as there is still a fun way to develop your pokemon teams i can totally live with it, especially now they've said these are essentially spin offs.

Ultimately having Smash and a good looking Pokemon Spin Off game for the Xmas period sounds pretty good to me!

Also Nintendo, do Eevee and Pikachu Joy Con sets...seriously... its pure money

All of this! I'm a fan of Pokemon Go, and I still play it daily, so this is good news to me. The best aspects of Go mingled with my fondest memories of the original Pokemon series - this looks like the type of game I'm after.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch EmptyWed 30 May 2018 - 20:00

Crumpy Andy wrote:
Really not keen on this from what I've seen. I didn't like the catching mechanic in Go, that was the main reason I stopped playing it very quickly. Taking away wild Pokemon battles for that is very much not up my street.

Can we all just stop here for a moment and acknowledge that the process of Pokémon catching in the main games is... pretty bad?  Wander around in long grass until a Pokémon jumps out (whether you like it or not in the early stages; in the later stages, increasingly unlikely to be the one you want to find); fight it in the normal way (best part, unless you get an accidental crit); throw Balls until the RNG determines it's caught (good luck if it's a self-healing legendary, a fleeing monster etc.).  Too much dependence on chance to be fun, and there are too many Pokémon to catch these days in any case.

I don't know if the Go mechanics are any better - it's certainly possible to find worse ones out there (Yo-Kai Watch this means you).  But the fact alone that you can see the Pokémon in the wild is a massive improvement!  Plus there's no more gubbins like horde battles or fleeing monsters.  

As for the rest of the game, I don't know.  I'm no huge fan of Kanto, and I find the nostalgia around it that leads to people to say the original 151 are the best more annoying than anything else.  That said, I'm up for more Pokémon interaction in the real world, I like the art style, and I'm willing to try something new.

And hey - if I, or anyone else, doesn't like it, there's a 'proper' Pokémon game coming in 2019.  We had SM not too long ago.  I'm okay with that.

Last edited by Balladeer on Thu 31 May 2018 - 8:31; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch EmptyWed 30 May 2018 - 20:19

Like I said in my brackets, I've always found Pokémon to be simplified anyway compared to other JRPGs but the whole random battles and not being able to see wild Pokémon was rather dated, that I do like you can see wild Pokémon now but I would have liked to battle them, not just throw a pokéball at them.

If they had the Go throwing mechanic to catch Pokémon after you've defeated them in battle, now that would be great.

I'm going for the Eevee version as Eevee is the best and I'm not really a fan of Pikachu that this might be the first time I only buy one version unless the differences of Pokemon make it worth it as looking it seems Yellow got some of Blues and Reds but not all of them.

The big one for me would be I can't evolution Eevee like you couldn't Pikachu in Yellow and wild Eevees are only in Pikachu and vice-versa.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch EmptyThu 31 May 2018 - 19:44

I think it's a cracking idea for trying to capture the GO market and convert them into fans of the mainline series as well as pulling some players back in who might have given up on GO in the first place. Like others have said, we're still getting a "proper" Pokémon game down the line anyway.

I saw a tweet highlighting how magical it would be if the Switch was your childhood console. You'd have sweeping adventures in Mario and Zelda and some genuinely brilliant ideas like Labo and now this to play around with. Jealous of the wee buggers - I could only have dreamed of something like growing up with RBY.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch EmptyThu 31 May 2018 - 19:52

Ah come on Jay, RBY was character-building! Except, er, the way it built my character was by encouraging cheating via Missingno. Embarrassed

But yes, especially if you were a nipper who'd played Pokémon Go prior to this. Imagine unwrapping it on Christmas Day. You'd be in seventh heaven. (Albeit not in the seventh Pokémon region.)
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch EmptyThu 31 May 2018 - 19:54

Oh, don't get me wrong, I loved R/B/Y, but this sort of experience is literally something I'd have dreamed up as a wee sprog, not an actual game hitting shelves later this year. I hope Missingno still pops up in Let's Go. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch EmptyFri 1 Jun 2018 - 12:47

I'm very into this. From the rumours I was thinking this was our "main" game, but now that I see it as something a little more casual, a stopgap until we get the next generation, and a way to link the main series and Go with a step of separation, I'm all for it. I don't want Gen 8 until I'm ready and Game Freak are ready, so if this keeps Switch owners satisfied for a bit it's a good move.

Also, I've been meaning to get into Go for ages but never got around to it. As soon as I get a Data SIM, I'm gonna do it I reckon. And this is just that little extra encouragement!

Athrun888 wrote:
A wild Athrun888 post appeared!

That trailer left me fairly whelmed.
Huh, I've never seen the word "whelmed" before. Overwhelmed and underwhelmed, sure, but never whelmed. I feel a little uncomfortable.

Ath his bloody rocker, he is wrote:
 It feels like it has elements of what Go should have had, that is proper trainer battles.  Seriously Go's absurdly simple repetitive "gameplay" is a large reason its died off.  

Dude, Go might not be in all the news headlines and stuff any more but it still does insane numbers. It is far from dead!

Also, Sun and Moon were ace.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch EmptyFri 1 Jun 2018 - 21:47

With me picking up a new phone today, I've also found myself hankering to return to Go, funnily enough. I guess the Pokémon Company and Niantic know what they're doing from a marketing perspective then!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch EmptySat 2 Jun 2018 - 11:56

I think I've come to the conclusion that if it has main series Pokémon-style battles, I'll get it; and if they're Go-style, I won't.

Drunkalilly wrote:
Also, Sun and Moon were ace.

This! Grand monster designs, no HMs, doing something genuinely new with the region... Suddenly it seems to have become 'cool' to hate on S&M, and I don't understand why. They were grand.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch EmptySat 2 Jun 2018 - 12:01

It does have main series Pokémon battles it's even in the trailer, just not against Wild Pokémon, just trainers and gym leaders.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch EmptySat 2 Jun 2018 - 12:07

I still see people playing pok Go around uni campuses. Me and a housemate used to play last year, although she'd basically completed the kanto dex already Shocked I'd still be paying it if it didn't knacker my battery, handy little pedometer.

I'll make a call on Let's Go closer to the time but I might end up picking it up.

Agree with the Sun and moon Praise, they were excellent games; can't really fault any of the new features it added and it's left me looking forward to switchmon more than ever.

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch EmptySat 2 Jun 2018 - 12:15

masofdas wrote:
It does have main series Pokémon battles it's even in the trailer, just not against Wild Pokémon, just trainers and gym leaders.

A couple of friends did a frame-by-frame of the trailer and weren't sure if things were quite the same... but I was, and am, hopeful.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch EmptySat 2 Jun 2018 - 12:45

Im5 sure even the main giy5 behind Pokémon that starts with M is Muchda or something has said so.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch EmptySat 2 Jun 2018 - 12:49

Are you pissed mas?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch EmptySat 2 Jun 2018 - 12:50

Trying to type and eat at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch EmptySat 2 Jun 2018 - 13:32

Mas, I think we should have told you this a long time ago: there's no rush to get a reply out to every message straight away. You can stop and read what you've written, then decide to press send or to edit. You can even choose not to reply, if for example you have nothing to add or your hands are clutching big bundles of spaghetti.

P.S His name is Masuda Junichi, I believe.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch EmptySat 2 Jun 2018 - 20:43

Balladeer wrote:

This!  Grand monster designs, no HMs, doing something genuinely new with the region...  Suddenly it seems to have become 'cool' to hate on S&M, and I don't understand why.  They were grand.

I think people are confusing Sun and Moon with their Ultra variants, which by all counts were pretty uninspired.

Drunkalilly wrote:
or your hands are clutching big bundles of spaghetti.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm only prepared to browse the forum if I'm enjoying a spaghetti dinner at the same time.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch EmptySat 2 Jun 2018 - 21:43

Me right now

Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch Tenor
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch EmptySun 3 Jun 2018 - 10:58

Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch   Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch Empty

Back to top Go down

Let's Go Back to Kanto with Pokémon on Switch
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next