We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario

Go down 
+4
Jimbob
Balladeer
The_Jaster
JayMoyles
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario Empty
PostSubject: The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario   The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario EmptyWed 19 Sep 2018 - 23:45

Alright folks.

With the launch of NES Switch Online, I figured this would be a perfect opportunity to rustle up a bit of forum fun.

I can't imagine I'm alone in thinking that I wouldn't be getting a lot of mileage out of the score attack focused NES game like Balloon Fight or Donkey Kong, so I had an idea to have a bit of league table of sorts for the forum for different games on the service.

The idea is that we'll have a scoring period of around a week or so where we're each battling to reach the top of the high score tables for a particular game or mode before moving on to another game. We'll keep track of the results as we go though to see who's consistently smashing everybody's scores and whatnot.

The hope is that'll drum up a bit of chat about the games in question too and should hopefully feel like we're getting our money's worth from the service too!

Over the course of us working our way through each arcade classic, we'll have an overall league table. Let's say we'll award three points to 1st place each week, and two and one to our second and third placers respectively.

Now playing... Dr. Mario

Scores on the doors:

1st: Treesmurf - 150600
2nd: JayMoyles - 123900
3rd: The_Jaster: 29600
4th: Jimbob - 10800

Overall rankings:

1st: Jimbob - 10 points
2nd: JayMoyles - 6 points
3rd: Treesmurf - 5 points
4th: = NintenDUCK and The_Jaster - 4 points

Balloon Trip:

Ice Climber:

Mario Bros.:

Donkey Kong:

Gradius:

Last edited by JayMoyles on Sun 31 Mar 2019 - 17:20; edited 38 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario   The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario EmptyThu 20 Sep 2018 - 8:31

Yeah I'm up for this and here's my score.

The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario DnhVFBcUcAACJOx
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario   The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario EmptyThu 20 Sep 2018 - 20:06

Good idea, this.  I won't be getting involved for a couple of reasons, but I will be supporting the cause.

Now, who's the underdog?  I like supporting the underdog.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario   The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario EmptyThu 20 Sep 2018 - 21:36

The_Jaster wrote:
Yeah I'm up for this and here's my score.

Damn it. Didn't think my score would fall that quickly! Laughing

My problem is that when I get close to beating my high score, I fall out of that zen state of mind you need for games like this and end up thinking about the game too much, which results in me cocking up. It happened with the SMO skipping rope game too.

Balladeer wrote:

Now, who's the underdog?  I like supporting the underdog.

It'll likely forever and always be me as I'm gash at NES games. Laughing
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario   The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario EmptyFri 21 Sep 2018 - 21:44

My closing statement there is correct - tried for what felt likes ages and never even broke 25,000 points, let alone beat my own score or get close to Jas's. Any tips, Jas?

Anybody else taking a crack at the bearded wonder's score?
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario   The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario EmptyFri 21 Sep 2018 - 22:01

Patience is a big thing to have, I try not to concentrate on collecting the balloons too much as after the starting bit they seem randomly placed so only get ones you are 100 percent sure you can get. Same sort of goes for those pause bubbles never rush to get those as you can often throw off your momentum by getting them at the wrong time.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario   The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario EmptyFri 21 Sep 2018 - 22:29

I think that's my problem - I'm trying to get nearly every balloon so I'm playing a riskier game, and I'm not good enough at the game to succeed at my method. The pause bubbles seem to give you more points than the balloons, so I do try to make a point of going for them.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario   The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario EmptySat 22 Sep 2018 - 17:19

It does seem weird, Balloon Trip - it starts off mega-organised and then seems a bit procedurally-generated. But it was programmed by a genius, so that's fine!

So far, not above 20000, although I have "finished" the main game (in that I got to the point where the stages loop). To try again!
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario   The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario EmptySat 22 Sep 2018 - 21:19

I was thinking this would be a good idea especially with the Switch screenshot feature. I actually saved a high score from my game of Yoshi before even seeing this thread, will have a go on Balloon Fight next though I think.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario   The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario EmptySun 23 Sep 2018 - 21:29

Looking forward to seeing your score, Smurf!

Jimbob wrote:
It does seem weird, Balloon Trip - it starts off mega-organised and then seems a bit procedurally-generated. But it was programmed by a genius, so that's fine!

So far, not above 20000, although I have "finished" the main game (in that I got to the point where the stages loop). To try again!

Aye, does seem odd, but I suppose that level of random chance does lend itself to an arcade style score attack mode. Post up a screenshot of your score and I'll pop your name into our leaderboard, Jimmers.

I took on board Jas's advice, went back to the drawing board and delivered this whopper of a score:

The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario DnzjkGLWsAAXuJ0

Your move, gents. Winky Face

Embarrassingly, the reason I failed on that run was because I collected a time freeze bubble and got too greedy trying to squeeze between two lightning bolts to collect a balloon. Silliness, really.

Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario   The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario EmptySun 23 Sep 2018 - 23:19

Here's my best attempt so far, I'm struggling go get close to it again though.

The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario 20180914

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario   The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario EmptyMon 24 Sep 2018 - 1:13

I said as much to Cappa on Twitter - the only two runs in which I broke 25K were my two high score runs I've posted in the thread so far. I can't explain why there's this wall stopping me from scoring highly consistently. I wonder if there's a certain pattern of sparks that the game throws at you around that point that's trickier than normal to pass?
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario   The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario EmptyMon 24 Sep 2018 - 11:11

I swear I'm not trying to put folk off but.....I am quite good at Balloon trip.

The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario Dn2ZLWQVYAEQg4n
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario   The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario EmptyMon 24 Sep 2018 - 14:02

I'm gutted to be missing out on this but i am enjoying watching the highscores on twitter.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario   The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario EmptyMon 24 Sep 2018 - 18:52

JAS IS RUINING IT FOR EVERYONE
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario   The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario EmptyMon 24 Sep 2018 - 19:13

Laughing If it was easy then it wouldn't be a challenge.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario   The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario EmptyMon 24 Sep 2018 - 19:22

Quite right. One day somebody's going to bring you down and it'll be all the sweeter. Twisted Evil

Using my actuarial prediction skills I predict that day will be... (bleep bloop) ...March 22nd 2035.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario   The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario EmptyMon 24 Sep 2018 - 19:41

It'll be interesting to see where I end up on the other NES games for the high score challenge as Balloon fight is the only one I've put in any real time into over the years.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario   The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario EmptyMon 24 Sep 2018 - 20:52

...well. I think I'll pack Balloon Trip in for now then! There's no way I'm breaking 100K anytime soon. Laughing

When do you guys fancy cycling games? I was thinking every week or so depending if folks are getting into a certain game.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario   The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario EmptyMon 24 Sep 2018 - 20:57

And how's this going to be recorded? Three points for first, two points for second, one for third, add them up over the course of... how long?

Tell you what, I'll throw in some eShop credit for the winner of the 'league', if people can decide on a timescale. Give m'self a reason to follow it. Smile
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario   The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario EmptyMon 24 Sep 2018 - 21:14

Aw, you don't have to do that Balla - had only intended it as a bit of fun. Having said that, if it ramps up the competition then... Twisted Evil

I'd planned to keep this running cycling through different games until the well of score attack NES games runs dry. By my counts, we've got at least 6 more score attack arcade style games in the current offering with more to come no doubt in future. I'm hoping each game will last us one or two weeks each for this thread, so no clue on a timescale! By Christmas, maybe?

I like your scoring idea, though. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
NintenDUCK
Vote Thread
NintenDUCK

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario   The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario EmptyMon 24 Sep 2018 - 21:31

I smelt an exciting thread and my nose was right! 100k is not a milestone I ever beat but I'll give it my best shot Grin
I look forward to beating the snot out of you all come Ghosts n Goblins week. I've been practising...
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario   The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario EmptyTue 25 Sep 2018 - 21:09

Yeah well you wait until you see
The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario Dn7oFT4UUAURds7
Oh. As said on the Twitters, I'm only the third-placed James...

Here's hoping a future week includes a game I've been playing for longer than you scrubs have been born... (*still fails miersably*)
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario   The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario EmptyTue 25 Sep 2018 - 21:35

Nice one Duck! Shall I hold off on cycling to the next game until you fire up your Balloon Trip score?

And hey, good to see an effort nonetheless from you Jimmers. Winky Face
I'm sure you'll absolutely smash it in DK week or something. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario   The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario EmptyWed 26 Sep 2018 - 19:50

JayMoyles wrote:
Aw, you don't have to do that Balla - had only intended it as a bit of fun. Having said that, if it ramps up the competition then... Twisted Evil

I'm happy to pay up if somebody else is willing to pay the costs of Gintendo. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario   The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario Empty

Back to top Go down

The GNamer High Score Challenge - Now Playing... Dr. Mario
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next