We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition

Go down 
+11
fronkhead
Treesmurf
OrangeRakoon
Balladeer
masofdas
Crumpy Andy
Buskalilly
The_Jaster
JayMoyles
Jimbob
The Cappuccino Kid
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 EmptyTue 19 Mar 2019 - 17:27

I'll stick a new game up in the next couple of days, unless anybody else is bursting to talk about their games first.

Also, if somebody could tell me how I can link to posts and not just pages on a thread, that would be great - I'd make a contents list on the opening post, taking you straight to Ridge Racer 3D/Mercenaries 3D/Ever Oasis/Tomadachi Life.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 EmptyTue 19 Mar 2019 - 21:00

Arcane art, that is. When you quote a post, you'll see 'p=' and then a number in the url. Copy that number, go back to the page the post is on, and type '#number' at the end of that page's url. Here's an example for the post above.

In a transparent attempt at guilt-tripping, though, there are some people who've not posted some bollocks yet who I really hoped would have contributed to this - which, let's not forget, is replacing the less popular 'vote thread' option.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 EmptyTue 19 Mar 2019 - 22:21

Crack on, Cappa. There's a couple of other games I'd like to write up, but I'll wait for a few games to cycle first.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 EmptyTue 19 Mar 2019 - 23:54

I've been trying to think of not only a 3ds game I really like but one that isn't super obvious for me to pick.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 EmptyWed 20 Mar 2019 - 7:31

It doesn't matter if it's super obvious, or even a game you really like. My next game isn't something I'd say is one of the 3DS's best, but it's got some qualities that I think make it worth a look. I'll not get to stick it up here until the weekend though.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 EmptyWed 20 Mar 2019 - 19:54

Yep, let's have the odd super-obvious one! I'm definitely up for talking about ALBW again. Grin I'll do it if nobody else will: if nothing else I'll probably be more scathing than many.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 EmptyThu 21 Mar 2019 - 22:33

I'd say you'd be breaking the mold by going for one of the heavy hitters considering our first four picks. Rock on, Jas. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2019 - 7:55

I thought Tomodachi Life was a very heavy hitter - and a quick scan at Wikipedia says that it's the tenth bestselling 3DS game.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_3DS_video_games

If Jaster isn't sticking anything up, I'll do something instead.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 EmptyFri 22 Mar 2019 - 17:04

Yeah you can put something up as I might be a while.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 EmptySun 24 Mar 2019 - 15:54

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 SI_3DS_DisneysEpicMickeyPowerOfIllusion_enGB_image1600w

In my twenty-six years of gaming, I’ve not played many that have the sheer loveliness of the 1990 Mega Drive classic, Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse. Even thinking about it here as I type, it makes me feel happy. It’s such a universally well-loved game too. I’ve never met anybody who dislikes it, and I’ve never read a bad word about it. It’s beautifully crafted, stuffed full of memorable moments and it remains a very pleasant playthrough twenty-nine years after it’s initial release. Magic!

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 G4042shots

I think it’s a game that excited a lot of aspiring games developers too. That’s clearly the case with DreamRift Games, the folk tasked with working a top-secret project for the new-at-the-time 3DS back in 2011. I remember the cat being let out of the bag with that, and the project being confirmed to be Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion. Those leaks revealed that the game was not only a new game within the Epic Mickey series, but also a sequel to the Castle of Illusion. ‘WOOOOOOOOOOFT!!!!’, I probably shouted, as I frantically made a new thread for it on the NGamer Forum while trying not to snap my banjo string by tugging too hard on it.

What came out in late 2012 was a very faithful spiritual successor to Castle of Illusion. One more time, you are Mickey Mouse, cutting about the spellbound Toon World, and ridding the land of all evil lurking within it. The wicked witch Mizrabel has drained all the colour from many of everybody’s favourite Disney characters, and entranced villains like Jafar, Captain Hook and some big fud from Kingdom Hearts to do all her heinous, nasty bidding. In her most bastardly trick, Mizrabel has trapped all these colourless Disney characters in The Castle of Illusion, and Mickey must navigate the dangers of the castle in order to thwart the witch and save all his wee roaster pals....

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 3DS_Disney_Epic_Mickey_Power_Of_Illusion_enGB_05

...at least, that’s what I think’s going on. It’s all a bit complicated and convoluted for a throwback to a nearly-30 year old Mega Drive game. No joke, I’ve had to paraphrase the instruction manual there. When was the last time you had to check an instruction manual for the story? Even with all that background, there’s very little plot development in the game itself.

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 3DS_Disney_Epic_Mickey_Power_Of_Illusion_enGB_09

The gameplay is similarly all over the gaff. Just like the Epic Mickey games on home consoles, Power of Illusion builds itself on it’s drawing and painting function that lets you interact with the levels. You do that by using a “magical paintbrush” (aka the stylus) to trace objects on the bottom screen. These “magically” transform into cartooney, Disney-style illustrations. After that, you then move your illustration to the top screen where they are further transformed into fully realized objects that pop off the screen in really attractive 3D. Those objects you drew turn into platforms for you to use (and such like). This mechanic adds an action-puzzle component to the platforming, which mixes it up a little. It’s overdone though, and it slows the game’s momentum right down. These mechanics get tired quickly - you’ll probably avoid using them where you can, and you’d probably rather that they weren’t here at all.

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 3DS_Disney_Epic_Mickey_Power_Of_Illusion_enGB_16

You play the game on the top screen - it’s here that you quest through the Castle of Illusion. Because of Mizrabel's illusionary magic, all the levels take in themes and setpieces from classic Disney films, and are full of recognisable characters from across the Disney timeline. For example, in one level, you jaunt through Agrabah from Aladdin. In another, you battle on Captain Hook’s pirate ship, The Jolly Roger. Then, you adventure Under The Sea, an obvious nod to Atlantica from The Little Mermaid. And so on.

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 ID49GhFr7Y-CsiceKsN0LwGqzJof1ZZz

The feeling of nostalgia is strong. That’s not just because you’re playing through worlds you’ll remember vividly from videos you watched when you were wee, but because it takes a lot of inspiration from games you grew up with too. Good examples of this are The Jungle Book, Aladdin, and especially the aforementioned Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse. You can tell the developers were huge fans of the Mega Drive prequel, as Power of Illusion looks, plays and feels very similar to that. Also, the arse-bounce that they’ve taken from Castle of Illusion is still one of the greatest jumps in platforming history. Power of Illusion’s visuals, as you can see, are outstanding. The production outdoes that of pretty much every third-party 3DS game I've seen. It all looks and sounds wonderful. I don’t think that a lot of games deserve to have an orchestral soundtrack, but such a soundtrack works wonderfully here.

I can just visualise Balladeer mime-conducting that tune while playing it on his phonograph in the parlour room of his stately mansion.

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 3DS_Disney_Epic_Mickey_Power_Of_Illusion_enGB_08

Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion’s best element is undoubtedly it’s presentation. Unfortunately though, the rest of it doesn’t gel together quite so well. As I’ve already mentioned, they overdo it with the daft painting gimmick, and it means that the different play styles are badly mismatched. There's also an almighty difficulty spike near the end, which is totally at odds with how easy the game is in it's first half. Worst of all is the amount of back-tracking; it’s a completely transparent way of masking the complete and utter lack of levels. I was fighting the final boss after only twelve short-ish levels and two boss fights. That's unacceptable for a game that originally sold for £40. Thankfully, that’s not what it costs these days, but if you’re picking it up, your time with Power of Illusion will be brief. Let's not begin on the amount of irrelevant character chit-chat either.

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 3DS_Disney_Epic_Mickey_Power_Of_Illusion_enGB_17

Power of Illusion can be fun, and the building blocks are strong and robust for a sequel. However, it can be sluggish, it’s very short and, honestly, it’s a little bit disappointing. Nintendo Life were quite unkind to Power of Illusion in their December 2012 review, crying it a “smudged affair” and booting it in the Davina McCalls with a 4/10.

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 W_yVy2L8eB_ZMKrk0utPsQE65WD1Tjki

Perhaps it doesn’t live up to your initial expectations. In truth, it’s a game that lives up to its title. It’s quite a powerful illusion, dressed up and outwardly impressive for the first couple of hours, and then starting to unfurl once you go beneath it’s surface.

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 EM2_3DS_22

Despite the horsing I’ve just given it, I still recommend that you give Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion a go. Its excellent soundtrack and slick animations really capture all of the magic of Disney. We’ll probably have our own Disney memories from our childhoods, and this was a game that really brought back a lot of all those good times and great memories for me. While it’s not as celebrated as Castle of Illusion, Power of Illusion is still charming, and as close to those brilliant 16-bit Disney platformers that we all grew up with as anything else since back in the day. I think it’s a very earnest game with a big heart, and I actually can’t help but like it quite a bit. Get the eShop demo downloaded, see what you make of it and let’s talk some bollocks at Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 EmptySun 24 Mar 2019 - 20:15

Oh boy (as the Mouse would say) - I'm torn between the "horsing" and the recommendation. I like Metroidvanias, and the plot sounds like a much better version of Kingdom Hearts (Come at me)... but it sounds like it ain't a great one. I guess then it depends of the appeal of the Disney Magic... but I don't have that much nostalgia for Disney things it turns out, even though I could recite large parts of some of the older films - I hardly set foot in Epic Mickey. Hmmmmmmmm...
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 EmptySun 24 Mar 2019 - 21:31

All of Epic Mickey games seemed to have passed me by which is a bit of a shame, especially with this one being a Castle of Illusion sequel so I should really hunt this down. A re-release on the Switch wouldn't go amiss but I doubt that.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 EmptyMon 25 Mar 2019 - 10:12

My only Mickey Mouse game was Epic Mickey on Wii. I really wanted to like it, and it seemed to be doing some cool stuff... but the camera was dreadful so I dropped it Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 EmptyMon 25 Mar 2019 - 11:25

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:

I can just visualise Balladeer mime-conducting that tune while playing it on his phonograph in the parlour room of his stately mansion.

What have I told you about spying through my windows?  Wilkins, the Scotsman with the camera's back!

Having not played CoI, and not being a huge fan of The Mouse, I didn't pick up EMPoI at the time, and probably wouldn't today after that 'horsing'.  It sounds like a game that lovingly guides you down Memory Lane, albeit scattering spikes in your way; and if you don't appreciate the memories, you're going to be focussed on picking the spikes out of your shoe.  

Still, the presentation is the dog's proverbials. Looks and sounds lovely.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 EmptyMon 25 Mar 2019 - 16:39

Like Balla, I can't see myself being tempted to pick up the full release considering I've no nostalgia for Castle of Illusion, but I'll give the demo a wee look later on this evening after I'm sick of Sekiro stomping on my face and laughing at me.

It's crazy how Disney games like Kingdom Hearts and Power of Illusion have the most overwrought plots known to man though. Surely your target audience of Disney fans are going to be turned off by all that nonsense?
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2019 - 9:58

If nothing else, I strongly recommend that everybody finds a way to play the original Castle of Illusion. I remember somebody making a thread that asked for your top ten 2D platformers. Amongst the hundreds upon hundreds I've played, Castle of Illusion was in my top ten. 👍
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 EmptyTue 26 Mar 2019 - 20:55

Castle of Illusion was ace, I played the PS3 remake a few years back and that held up well compared to the original as well. Just did a quick search and it's currently priced at £2.49 on sale for anyone that still has a PS3, well worth a look.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 EmptySun 31 Mar 2019 - 18:52

Going to prod this gently, because it hasn't got quite as much discourse as some; but also possibly prepare for the next one. Drunka's turn again? Unless Mas/Jas/Smurf/OR fancy a go?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 EmptySun 31 Mar 2019 - 21:29

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
If nothing else, I strongly recommend that everybody finds a way to play the original Castle of Illusion. I remember somebody making a thread that asked for your top ten 2D platformers. Amongst the hundreds upon hundreds I've played, Castle of Illusion was in my top ten. 👍

Mines like this
Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 5162HERG1NL._SY445_

I'm on holiday April 6th -14th, I will try to see if my guest is about and if not I may do something else then the game I was thinking unless someone else has something.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 EmptyMon 1 Apr 2019 - 3:16

Jimbob wrote:
. I guess then it depends of the appeal of the Disney Magic... but I don't have that much nostalgia for Disney things it turns out, even though I could recite large parts of some of the older films - I hardly set foot in Epic Mickey. Hmmmmmmmm...

Yeah, this is pretty much what it comes down to for me. I have a certain affection for classic animation, which endears me to Cuphead. I have some nostalgia for the 90s Disney films like Lion King and Hercules. But Mickey? Not bothered. Give me the loony tunes any day.

I was somewhat interested in the twist which epic Mickey seemed to give the formula, but I doubt I'll be giving it a go in the here and now.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 EmptyMon 1 Apr 2019 - 7:14

Agreed on not actually liking Mickey that much. Disney have created much better characters. None quite as associated with the face of the company, mind. It's Pikachu again, right down to it being a mouse!

masofdas wrote:
I'm on holiday April 6th -14th, I will try to see if my guest is about and if not I may do something else then the game I was thinking unless someone else has something.

Up for this.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 EmptyMon 1 Apr 2019 - 10:07

Note: While I was writing this, a little more Mickey chat seems to have kicked off. If mods would like to delete this and wait for me to repost it later, I have the post saved as a word document.

Balladeer wrote:
Drunka's turn again?

Fuck it. Let's have a big one.

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 Animal-Crossing-New-Leaf-logo

Animal Crossing: New Leaf was easily my most-played game of all time. Barring a gravy-related incident in the middle, I played this every single day between its release on June 14, 2013 and the day I put it down on September 15, 2016. I legitimately loved it, and the decision to stop playing was a more difficult one than my decision to emigrate to the other side of the planet in real life.

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 ?format=500w

Ever since reading about the original Gamecube release, I've had a fascination with Animal Crossing which I can't fully explain. I saw the previews, and possibly even the review, in Nintendo Official Magazine and I needed this game. It didn't have fancy graphics, action-packed violence, tits or even ass, but I knew I wanted it as much as I've ever wanted any game.

I went through the emotional rollercoaster of not having a European release date, getting an imported copy of Animal Crossing for Christmas, realising the Gamecube is region locked, hearing about the Freeloader and finally receiving one as an Easter present. I played a lot of the original game, but it was limited by virtue of being a home console game and my living in a single-television household. Later came the DS' Wild World. I played a fair amount of this one, but I was at a particular time in my life- listen to Joe Skrebels' feature in this episode of Regular Features if you want to get an idea of the age I was at the time - and I was plowing through great games with stories and that. I wasn't ready yet.

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 ?format=500w

But then there was New Leaf. The 3DS was a perfect machine for Animal Crossing, having its suite of connectivity features and nicer visuals. I was at the prime age - I was working full-time and at the back end of a crappy relationship. Animal Crossing: New Leaf provided just the right fix.

Animal Crossing contains multitudes. It really felt like there was another world on the other side of the screen- another life. The dialogue is endlessly charming, sometimes hilarious and, unless you roll an unlucky set of characters, it's as irrelevant that they aren't entirely unique from one another as scrubbing is to one's enjoyment of Meteos, or whether or not a game's levels used a procedural generation once you're playing them.

I could talk about collecting all my fossils and bugs and fish. I could tell the story again about this game and Ace Attorney converting me to the church of coffee. I could bore you about Gyroids or show you pictures of my Creepy House. I could talk about the strange relationship I have with living in the countryside, hating and loving it at the same time. I could even talk about my hype for Animal Crossing on Nintendo Switch. But nobody cares about any of that. Animal Crossing is all about the Villagers, so let's talk about them.

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 150?cb=20130721180123

Camofrog
This guy was a cranky, grouchy so-and-so but he had this permanent smile which gave it a different feel. He also warmed to me, as Animal Crossing villagers tend to. As someone with a compulsive need for people to like me, grumpy types who become my friend are my absolute kryptonite. Plus, he's a camouflage-green frog who talks like a drill sergeant. What's not to love?
4/5 Would date. Hard to get definitely works on me.

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 60?cb=20160624003332

Chadders
It's a mouse made of cheese. What's not to love?
3/5 If we fucked, there's zero chance he'd complain how I smell.

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 150?cb=20130721190743

Gigi
Gigi was a quintessential posh lass. Much like my weird relationship with Animal Crossing's idyllic version of country living, I have a bit of a strange affection for posh women. Maybe I see myself as a Han Solo type, a dashing rogue who could show an uptown girl the charms of common people? Maybe its pure misogyny that lets me hate the rich for the most part but lets me assume pretty young things are innocent?
4/5 You'll never live like Common people. You'll never do what common people do. You'll never drink and laugh and screw because there's nothing else to do.

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 150?cb=20180518165227

Flo
So far, I've talked about the appeal of grumpy, hard to please types whom one eventually wins over. Flo is the opposite. She was loving, and kind, and a big cute penguin. She would want to please other villagers, she never complained, she was always there for birthdays.
3/5 I'd date her for a few years, and it'd be fine, but it'd ultimately be a bit boring. There's only so much DVD boxset-then-missionary a man can enjoy.

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 95?cb=20130708032553

Cesar
Of course, as lovable as villagers can be, sometimes it's just as fun to have a villager you hate. Deliberately not helping them, burying them with pitfalls, hitting them with a net, trying to turn other villagers against them . . .
And Cesar was a real asshole. I even wrote a cover of Taylor Swift's "Trouble" about him, for the ONM podcast competition.
2/5 I'd fuck him but it wouldn't be out of affection.

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 150?cb=20130708010443

Kid Cat
Ah. My best friend. My role model. Kid Cat is sporty and energetic and obsessed with fitness. He's pretty dense and stupid. But he is unwaveringly, unrelentingly, unbelievably positive. He makes me want to better myself, physically and spiritually. I've met one or two people like this in the real world and they're just the best, lifting everyone around them up.

And that's Animal Crossing: New Leaf. Is it a game about collecting things? It is if you want it to be. Is it an avenue for showing off one's own creativity? If you're creative, sure. Is it a replacement for real friends, or an escape when the real world is too grim? It's all of this . . . if you want it to be.

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 EmptyMon 1 Apr 2019 - 10:31

I think the timing's fine, but I'm deleting it anyway for that paragraph in the middle.DAMN YOU!

More seriously, I think the discussion on EM was winding down more than it was up: at the same time, if people want to continue discussing it for a while, then I don't see why we can't talk about the two games in parallel for a bit. Ultimately I'll leave the final call up to Cappa: his thread, and EM was his game.

That said, regardless of what he thinks, I'm going to leave it for a while so that people can say nice positive things about ACNL (and Andy can comment), before I wade in and thoroughly and methodically rip the game apart.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 EmptyMon 1 Apr 2019 - 10:52

Balladeer wrote:
Some shite.

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 Morpheus-Come-At-Me-Bro
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 EmptyMon 1 Apr 2019 - 11:16

New Leaf was such a great and got to be in the top 10 3DS games, and I'm excited about the new one on Switch.

The one on the Cube is rather good as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition
Page 5 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next