We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition

Go down 
+11
fronkhead
Treesmurf
OrangeRakoon
Balladeer
masofdas
Crumpy Andy
Buskalilly
The_Jaster
JayMoyles
Jimbob
The Cappuccino Kid
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2019 - 19:37

Same. I found the controls bad, but not game-ruiningly so. I can understand it from Jimbob (who'll burn anything with non-traditional control schemes and salt the earth) and Jay (because I don't pretend to be a leftie), neither of whom played the game anyway; but that the rest of the game didn't at least mitigate those controls for the others, I can't understand. Maybe my hands are more flexible than average? I don't know.

I'm guessing on your part, the non-on-rails shooter bits made the other bits worthwhile.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 EmptyWed 17 Apr 2019 - 22:39

Balladeer wrote:
and Jay (because I don't pretend to be a leftie)

I know what you meant, but I couldn't help but read this initially as an insinuation that I'm pretending to be left-handed. Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 EmptyThu 18 Apr 2019 - 3:21

I had no issue with the controls but I have very small hands. I'm presidential in that way
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 EmptyThu 18 Apr 2019 - 7:36

I enjoyed the on rail bits too. I think it felts like I was actually doing something rather than just endlessly putting bullets into boring enemies. The weapon variety and difficulty slider undoubtably helped as well.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 EmptyThu 18 Apr 2019 - 11:00

I also had no issues with the controls but like I said even though this is a game I wanted to talk about and for a long time if asked what is my favourite 3DS is, it would have been Kid Icarus Uprising but I can't remember much beyond people moaning about the controls, decent VO and not a lot else.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 EmptyThu 18 Apr 2019 - 20:13

JayMoyles wrote:
I know what you meant, but I couldn't help but read this initially as an insinuation that I'm pretending to be left-handed. Laughing

YEAH RIGHT YOU FAKE LEFTIE YOU

I do find the fact that the person who suggested the game can't remember any of the game quite funny. Laughing I think it's the approach it took, throwing everything and the kitchen sink at you so that the composite bits didn't stick as much. It's the approach Sakurai used in Smash and Meteos too, but there you play the same stages and set-pieces over and over again so you get to know them that way.

Still shocked though.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 EmptySun 21 Apr 2019 - 10:18

Balladeer wrote:
I can understand it from Jimbob (who'll burn anything with non-traditional control schemes and salt the earth)
Woah. Woah. Woah. Hang on just a minute - I used to play BBC Micro games. Left and right were mapped to Z and X; up and down were mapped to what you kids would now know as ' and /. You want to talk about patting your head and rubbing your stomach?
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 EmptySun 21 Apr 2019 - 21:13

Balladeer wrote:
...out of the way of Andy's fists 🎵

Curious to know whether the likes of Cappa and Smurf found the aerial controls shite as well, or whether it was just the grounded ones.  Also I never needed a stand.
Aye flying sections were ace, was just the ground bit that ruined it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 EmptyTue 23 Apr 2019 - 19:49

Jimbob wrote:
Woah. Woah. Woah. Hang on just a minute - I used to play BBC Micro games. Left and right were mapped to Z and X; up and down were mapped to what you kids would now know as ' and /. You want to talk about patting your head and rubbing your stomach?

Laughing I stand corrected! Alright: non-button-based controls schemes. Unless you got on with some primarily touch-screen games like Phantom Hourglass, in which case I'll shut up.

Treesmurf wrote:
Aye flying sections were ace, was just the ground bit that ruined it.

Fair, I suppose... Suspect Still think ruined's awfully harsh unless it actually hurt your hands though.

Anyway! Next game? I did a big post in the middle there, so I'd rather it wasn't me, but I can go if people want.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 EmptyTue 23 Apr 2019 - 21:28

I remember not really getting into it much back on release, and part of it was down to me finding the level design to be a bit boring coming from Sin and Punishment 2. That in turn didn't really give me motivation to keep playing the game to master the controls...it's a vicious cycle.

But I gave this one another chance over Christmas, buying a cheap copy off eBay to replace my sold original. And I really enjoyed it! Sure, the level design is often built up from the same building blocks (winding pathways, doors leading to rooms, rails, lifts etc) but the appeal clearly lies in the depth of the mechanics. Each weapon has to be mastered individually, as does dodging enemy attacks, and the game plays around with enemy placement to keep things interesting. The bosses are also uniformly excellent, and once I learned the controls I just couldn't imagine playing the game without them. Muscle memory basically means you move the stylus in ways that match how fast and where you want to turn to aim, and the game is designed around that, often throwing enemies all around you.

I think the second half of the game is a lot stronger than the first - the narrative suddenly becomes quite gripping after the first few plot twists, and the cringeworthy fourth-wall breaking dialogue becomes funnier when the cast expands. But generally speaking, it has one of the strongest single player campaigns (remember when it was called a main game?) in a Nintendo game.

It's weird that it already feels retro now even though it's on the 3DS - it's very much a game of its era. I couldn't imagine Nintendo green lighting a game like it again, but it makes me wish they would let Sakurai work on something that isn't Smash Bros again.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 EmptyThu 25 Apr 2019 - 19:42

Applause There we go, the final word on KIU. Fronk's obviously even keener on it than I am, and rightly so!
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 EmptyTue 7 May 2019 - 19:25

I'm typing up a new look-back, but if anybody wants to nick in first, go ahead. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 EmptyTue 7 May 2019 - 20:53

Go for it! I did a big post about KIU anyway, and my next one's going to be... a JRPG. Pale
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 EmptyTue 7 May 2019 - 21:35

Before I start typing up my next feature, I'd like to find out if Mas has arbitrarily claimed all three 3DS Fire Emblem titles included the one that I don't think he's even played... Laughing Winky Face
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 EmptyWed 8 May 2019 - 20:50

I don't even know if the one I wanted will happen, how I was going to do it.

Laura Bailey, just won't get back to me Very Happy
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 EmptyFri 10 May 2019 - 0:44

I've got her on WhatsApp mate, I'll pass you her details. Me, Troy Baker and her are in a group chat, lots of laughs.

I'd assume you'd be covering Awakening/Fates, right?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 EmptyFri 10 May 2019 - 9:17

Just awakening is the one I would like to have done. Mainly as I only did the one version of Fates (I think).
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 EmptySun 12 May 2019 - 12:32

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 SI_3DS_SonicGenerations_image1600w

You can go two ways with a Sonic game. It’s all or nothing.

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 Sonic-Rankings-01-Sonic-2006

On one hand, you’ve got those games that are outrageously shite, fouled up with Sonic’s sad wanker pals journeying through the most abysmal stories in all of gaming. That’s what I’d call The Bad Way. Step forward, the arse-clenchingly awful likes of Sonic & The Secret Rings, Shadow The Hedgehog and especially Sonic The Hedgehog 2006. Infamous for all the wrong reasons, there’s been too many lousy attempts to recapture Sonic The Hedgehog’s former glory. As well as being identified with disappointment, the lack of quality in these games led SEGA to publicly apologise for how unacceptable they were. Jings!

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 Sonic3-645x370

That former glory I’ve mentioned there, folk’ll tell you that’s all from the 1990s. That’s the ‘...on the other hand’ here, and that ‘other way you can go with a Sonic game’, that’s what I’d call The Good Way.  We’re all thinking back to the games that we’d like to synonymise with the Blue Blur, games like Sonic The Hedgehog 1, 2, 3 & Knuckles, and Sonic CD. The classics! But by the start of this decade, those games were close to twenty years old, and the Sonic The Hedgehog series was living off of it’s reputation. However, that reputation was no longer built on fast-paced platforming brilliance like in 1994, but instead fast becoming built on piles and piles of critically-panned horseshit.

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 Maxresdefault

But they sold well, and the cries of many journos to retire the franchise fell on deaf ears. Sonic The Hedgehog pressed on. In 2011, celebrating the twentieth anniversary of the series, SEGA elected to reboot the Sonic series once again. Surprisingly, they didn’t do their usual and not listen to the fans by lumbering the gameplay with werewolfs, swordplay or the wankiest motion controls going. This time, they based it all on memorable levels from Sonic’s past, right the way from Sonic 1 in 1991 to Sonic Colours in 2010. Believe it or not, while popular opinion was that Sonic has been rubbish since 1994, some folk like tearing through Sonic’s 3D environments, blasting from point to point really, really quickly. And truthfully, there’s still a lot of highlights in amongst that fifteen year long rut, so you needed both generations of Sonic for both these audiences. Two distinct ways to play needed two distinct Sonic The Hedgehogs.

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 04

For sure, Sonic’s shoes are two of the most difficult to fill in the whole gaming industry, and the unenviable task for creating a title that would wow both ends of the Sonic fan spectrum fell to Dimps. They’re the Japanese development studio responsible for a bucketload of Digimon and Dragon Ball Z games...but also all the Sonic Advance games, as well as Sonic Rush, Sonic Rush Adventure and the DS version of Sonic Colours. These were all very capable games, reminiscent of the time when Sonic was all flat, all 2D and all good. They were the best Sonic games of the 2000s in my opinion, leaving out the combat and open-world exploration that bogged down some of those games I listed in the second paragraph. Dimps had a recipe book for good Sonic games, and generally folk trusted them to make a game that would do justice to the series heyday. Looking back, I think they did!

Where there’s a Sonic, there’s a story, and this is how we get to these different play styles. Here, Sonic’s universe is thrown into chaos when a mysterious new power comes into force, creating Time Holes which drag Sonic and his mates into another dimension. While there, Sonic runs into some familiar characters from the past, including an older version of himself. As older, chubby, “Classic” Sonic, you bounce, spin and zip along stages stylised like they’re ripped from 1992 itself, behaving very much like he did in those legendary Mega Drive games of that “classic” time. As new, sleek, “Modern” Sonic, you’re taking advantage of the abilities they gave Sonic in later games, with rail-grinding, boosting and Claude Makélélé-esque big tackles.

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 Article-1025436-018B096500000578-446_468x347

The changes extend beyond how tall your talking blue hedgehog is though. With each version of Sonic, you’re getting a different level layout. For example, Classic Sonic’s Green Hill Zone is very faithful to the version that introduced the whole series back on the Mega Drive, whereas Modern Sonic’s Green Hill Zone is reshaped to facilitate the pace and mobility of games like 2005’s Sonic Rush. I guess that it’s designed that way to provide something for everybody, whether they prefer how pure the original games were, or if they enjoyed the freshness and rollercoaster speeds of what came later. However, this isn’t a handheld version of it’s home console relatives, as there’s no way in Greek buggery that Dimps were pulling off the PS3 game on 2011 3DS hardware. Rather, it’s own thing, with it’s own levels and it’s own design choices.

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 October-Sonic-Generations-3DS-Screenshots-3

As a longtime fan of the series, I was keen to see how stages like Radical Highway (from Sonic Adventure 2) and Final Fortress (from Sonic Heroes) would translate to a flat 2D plane. Equally, I was intrigued to see how Dimps would add a new perspective to stages like Mushroom Hill (from Sonic & Knuckles) and Water Palace (from Sonic Rush). In each regard, I think Sonic Generations succeeds, and it’s a game that can make both classic and modern Sonic’s audiences quite happy.

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 A0d219482824e6fd56bbd5453f543cc2

The assortment of stages is a good reflection of what put Sonic The Hedgehog into millions of homes in the first place - they’re very bright, tight and are backed with the typical catchy Japanese pop. It’s magic! Of particular note was the way it controlled: I felt that this was the most accurate replication of the way the Mega Drive games played. In Generations, moving either Sonic around is a joy, with the physics feeling immediately recognisable. Fair enough, the controversial homing attack from Sonic 4: Episode 1 is still here, but they sorted out the way Sonic cuts about. You’re finding the same angles for your jumps as you were in 1992, and you’re still building up the same momentum for your spin attacks too - it’s really satisfying. This is all about reaching Sonic’s top speed and clearing stages as fast as you can - and that’s what I think Sonic should be all about. Maybe you do too?

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 Sonic-Generations-3DS-Emerald-Coast-Screenshot-400x198

I think the split generations idea is really smart as well. It’s a formula that worked out well for developer and publisher alike, and provided the foundation for 2017’s Sonic Forces, albeit to a diminished return. But while I’m bumming up Sonic Generations to be the Second Coming of Hogs of War, let’s get our feet back on the ground. While a good game in it’s own right, Sonic Generations is no Sonic Mania.

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 October-Sonic-Generations-3DS-Screenshots-11

Sonic Generations has been superseded by Sonic Mania. That proved to be a better celebration of Sonic’s past, and Mania’s redesigned levels, enemies bosses and tunes are better than they are in Generations. Crucially, it was just a bit more fun. The main drawback of Sonic Generations is that it doesn’t twist enough, and it’s all a bit unadventurous. Oftentimes, Modern Sonic’s stages feel too similar to Classic Sonic’s stages, playing it far too safe and failing to distinguish themselves from what’s supposed to be two distinctly different game designs. Mania definitely sticks its neck out more. It’s a short game from beginning to end too. Although I got over fifteen hours out of it’s one hundred missions, competitive Sonic 2-style multiplayer and unlockable audio and art rewards, you could rattle through the main stages in about an hour. That said, I still think Sonic Generations is a very decent game, and a very adequate showcase of classic 2D Sonic platforming. You wouldn’t plant £30 on it, but I seen it for a fiver recently, it can definitely be had for cheap. I think you’ll have fun with it. The good outweighs the bad, and you can’t usually say that for a Sonic game to be honest.

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 October-Sonic-Generations-3DS-Screenshots-5

NGamer thought it was a worthwhile effort, calling it “good-looking and fan-pleasing” in their December 2011 issue, and awarding it with a respectable 79%. That’s a good 13% above the Metacritic average, but that average is slaughtered by some arsehole saying that “it’s not an awful game” and horsing it with a 25% score. Ignore that, that’s complete bollocks.

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 Sonic_Gen_party

All credit to SEGA and Dimps here: with good quality games like this, they began to change the narrative about Sonic games, and people could objectively see that they could still be legitimately all right. And then they followed it up with the dreadful 3DS version of Sonic Lost World, and two utterly redundant Sonic Boom games. For fuck’s sake.

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 EmptySun 12 May 2019 - 18:05

That last paragraph was a belter. Another nice job, Cappa, albeit one I don't have much to say about!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 EmptySun 12 May 2019 - 18:57

I never did play the 3DS version of this but loved it on 360, I'd go as far as saying it's the last Sonic game I truly enjoyed.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 EmptyMon 13 May 2019 - 1:15

I'm assuming by nature of the hardware that the Nu-Sonic levels are still on a 2D plane albeit with his abilities then, yeah? I suppose that might be why they feel similar to Classic Sonic's offerings - they did feel more distinct in the console versions. I'm not big on Sonic - either Classic or Modern - but I played through Generations on PC and enjoyed my time with it. It zips along at a fair pace and didn't overburden itself with shitey combat or frustrating levels. If the 3DS version captured the spirit of that, then hats off to it.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 EmptyMon 13 May 2019 - 4:23

I've not played Generations as Sonic is a shit game for cucks, Mario Forever, Nintendo For Life, etc etc.

. . . also, I actually really enjoyed Sonic and the Secret Rings. So what do I know?
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 EmptySun 9 Jun 2019 - 13:38

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 124895

How do you feel about LM2?  Do you like the shining up of an old engine, or do you bemoan the mission structure?  Or do you do both?  Whichever side of the divide you sit on, one thing's for sure: the majority consider this one of the 3DS' greats.

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 82266_image2013_0305_1723_1

This was, obviously, the follow-up to Luigi's Mansion on the GameCube: a small, tight game about hoovering up ghosts, rinsing one spooky house of all its treasure, and then maybe playing it again to find more treasure.  LM2 (or Dark Moon if you're Stateside) was a larger, less tight game about hoovering up ghosts, rinsing several spooky houses of their treasure, and then maybe playing the separate missions again to find more treasure.

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 1*JFkbEh4Haj6AjNWRzisfDw

The missions were definitely in place to stop the game from overwhelming the humble 3DS: this was an expansion of a not-too-distant home console game, albeit a launch title.  They were also definitely the worst bit about the game.  You weren't allowed to explore the mansions freely: instead your paths were gated off, and every time you finished an objective you were sucked back to the lab.  Fortunately the rest of the game was tremendous.

A lot of that's because of the charm.  The ghosts engaged in such #topbantz as hitting each other over the head with whatever came to spectral hand, your canine semi-nemesis was utterly adorable, and Luigi himself showed off why he should get infinitely more games than his dull brother.

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 Luigis-mansion-dark-moon-gameplay-trailer-e3-2012_mmy8

There's no denying the solid gameplay either, though.  The hoovering felt as tactile and satisfying as ever, even without a rumble.  Pottering about the various mansions, combatting the different ghosts, grabbing treasure, fighting Boos...  It had some imaginative bosses too.

The game didn't add much to LM1's recipe to be honest.  The Dark Light Device took over from elemental manipulation and was, if nothing else, used slightly more; and the combat was tweaked to work better on a device with no dual analogues as standard.  (We'll ignore the dodgy gyro beam-balancing sections.)  Otherwise, it was the 'bigger better more' approach to ghost-grabbing gameplay, with more mansions, more ghosts, and more playtime; and there's no shame in that when the original was so good.

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 Luigis-mansion-2-dark-moon-screenshot-gentleman-ghost

The game was also a bit of a looker, matching GC-standard graphics with some good use of the 3D.  Meanwhile the soundtrack showed how to use one theme as the soundtrack for your entire game effectively and well.  Certain big-nosed dinosaurs should take note, mentioning no names.

I don't have much to say about LM2: I don't actually remember as much as I'd like.  With LM3 hopefully being shown off at E3 soon and this thread down for a while, I thought it might be interesting to get a bit of discussion going about this game.  Bite-sized for portable play yet still effectively harnessing the spirit (sorrynotsorry) of its home console predecessor, Luigi's Mansion 2 was a dark and dingy delight... wasn't it chaps?

Last edited by Balladeer on Sun 9 Jun 2019 - 18:47; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 EmptySun 9 Jun 2019 - 17:47

Yeahidunnoiguessilikeditbut... it's clearly a very well-made game, and there are loads of neat individual bits - therefore it has a lot more character than a lot of other bigger adventures. But I'm not itching to play it again. I just didn't have loads and loads and loads of fun. Am I a terrible person?
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 EmptySun 9 Jun 2019 - 20:41

For what was undoubtedly a very good game and probably one of the best on the system, I have very little memory of this. I think I can probably put it down to the mission structure too as one of my best memories of the original was seeing how the mansion had so many different areas and it was much bigger than meets the eye. That setting didn't translate as well to the smaller mansions in 2 I guess.

On the other hand the different mansions gave the settings a nice bit of variety but aside from the ice themed one the best I remember of them is that they were dark. I feel I sound very down on this but I still had a lot of fun with it, it ticks all the boxes, it just would have been better on the big screen though, something for 3 to fix.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition   Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

Let's Talk Some Bollocks About: The Nintendo 3DS & Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition
Page 8 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next