We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Back in the Wargroove

Go down 
+7
Buskalilly
Balladeer
Jimbob
The_Jaster
JayMoyles
Treesmurf
masofdas
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

Back in the Wargroove  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Back in the Wargroove    Back in the Wargroove  - Page 2 EmptyThu 14 Feb 2019 - 21:36

I'm playing it in parts but I've not properly cracked on with it yet. It's definitely tough as old boots that's for sure, I'm only on to chapter 2 but have reached a level that's taken me a few tries.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Back in the Wargroove    Back in the Wargroove  - Page 2 EmptySun 17 Feb 2019 - 16:41

That's the chapter with the fog of war, right? I found that to be a right bugger.

I've not played this since my last post, but I can't wait to dive into some of the custom content and get making some myself. There's a lot of game for your buck here!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Back in the Wargroove    Back in the Wargroove  - Page 2 EmptySun 17 Feb 2019 - 16:45

Yeah not a big fan of the Fog but makes sense storywise I guess, I feel they could have done with putting it in the game later though as I feel like I've got a bit of a wall with it.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Back in the Wargroove    Back in the Wargroove  - Page 2 EmptySun 17 Feb 2019 - 17:14

Spam the dogs and get them positioned everywhere so you can use the trebuchets effectively. The dogs are cheap enough to build, so it's not an expensive strategy.
Back to top Go down
Kriken
Layton's Apprentice
Kriken

PostSubject: Re: Back in the Wargroove    Back in the Wargroove  - Page 2 EmptySun 17 Feb 2019 - 20:09

Bit on the fence on this one. Big Advance Wars fan and will jump at the next release of that series if it's ever arrives, but not been quite wowed by what I've seen of Wargroove despite it being very similar.

Think I heard the campaign is quite lengthy, but the amount of content was never really a concern for me. Quite easy for this type of game to have a ton of content as every Advance Wars has. And something I liked about the Advance Wars games is that the campaigns were a reasonable length - the story wrapped up before it started to drag on for too long. And then there'd be a ton of content elsewhere like in the War Room.

Nobody seems particularly impressed with the story and in fact it seems like it doesn't have much of a presence here. Bit disappointing. Not like Advance Wars games had particularly 'good' stories (in fact they could be very stupid) but they were cool and I liked the character interactions. Despite them being dumb, I got invested.

Then there's the aesthetics, which look nice but aren't much of an advancement on the AW series which last had an entry in 2008 - apart from the obviously much higher resolution. Yeah, to be fair it's an indie game so of course it looks like this, but this is one area apart from the story which really could have gotten me onboard if it was particularly striking. And this is pretty subjective but I prefer the modern military look/setting to this fantasy one, but going for a completely different setting so the game doesn't seem like a rip-off is fair enough.

I have no doubt Wargroove is a decent game but I'm just not too compelled to get it when I can just dig up the other Advance Wars games I have. Have hundreds of hours poured into them but I still have War Room missions to do and could happily re-play any of those campaigns.

I might still get it but I'll probably wait for a sale.

How is everyone finding the online multiplayer?
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Back in the Wargroove    Back in the Wargroove  - Page 2 EmptySun 17 Feb 2019 - 21:06

The story isn't anything to write home about, that's correct. The characters are fun enough though, so it's not a slog to get through or anything. The scenarios have been varied too, so it's been a fun playthrough. I'm on the last mission now, I believe.

I've not touched the multiplayer at all! I think there's an asynchronous mode, so it'd be fun to have a few games against GNamer lads on the go.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Back in the Wargroove    Back in the Wargroove  - Page 2 EmptySun 17 Feb 2019 - 21:13

I think it's just asynchronous without choosing the option but I could be wrong. I would be up for so games.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Back in the Wargroove    Back in the Wargroove  - Page 2 EmptyMon 18 Feb 2019 - 18:14

That's me finished with this for now as I've beaten the campaign and the epilogue chapter, which is essentially the true ending so I don't recommend skipping it at all.

I'll have more to say on this in the finished games thread, but after clearing the last few chapters, this is a tough ol' game. I actually had to tinker with the difficulty sliders for the penultimate level as the game decided to turn into Fire Emblem with every one of your units being essential. It was a bit much, to be honest.

Still, this is a solid game and well worth picking up for fans of strategy.
Back to top Go down
NintenDUCK
Vote Thread
NintenDUCK

PostSubject: Re: Back in the Wargroove    Back in the Wargroove  - Page 2 EmptyMon 18 Feb 2019 - 20:27

I'm still working through this, at a slow slow rate. Yesterday I spent about 4 hours and almost 70 turns in the Sedge vs Greenfinger battle. It was amazing fun and would have ended sooner if I used Greenfingers wall groove more effectively but I won in one attempt which was pretty gratifying. If it was Fire Emblem though I would have been devastated, I sent about 30 odd units to their demise.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Back in the Wargroove    Back in the Wargroove  - Page 2 EmptyThu 21 Feb 2019 - 20:54

Wow, that's a marathon! I think my longest battle was about an hour and a half long at most. I'd have tapped out during that battle you had, no question!
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Back in the Wargroove    Back in the Wargroove  - Page 2 EmptySat 23 Feb 2019 - 19:18

NintenDUCK wrote:
I'm still working through this, at a slow slow rate. Yesterday I spent about 4 hours and almost 70 turns in the Sedge vs Greenfinger battle. It was amazing fun and would have ended sooner if I used Greenfingers wall groove more effectively but I won in one attempt which was pretty gratifying. If it was Fire Emblem though I would have been devastated, I sent about 30 odd units to their demise.
I've just done that battle and it took a fair few turns for me too (40-50 i think), it's at this point where I feel the game is gonna click for me, I'd managed to win the battle by cornering Sedge after taking all the surrounding area and depleting his army. It felt like a perfectly fitting conclusion to the battle given how the story around it played out.
Back to top Go down
Crash
Ejected into the Lava
Crash

PostSubject: Re: Back in the Wargroove    Back in the Wargroove  - Page 2 EmptyMon 25 Feb 2019 - 21:08

Yea Sedge is a prick. I've been trying to go for strongholds where I can because it's weird killing a general in battle only to see them in a cutscene right afterwards.
Back to top Go down
NintenDUCK
Vote Thread
NintenDUCK

PostSubject: Re: Back in the Wargroove    Back in the Wargroove  - Page 2 EmptyMon 25 Feb 2019 - 21:11

My thoughts exactly Mr Crash.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Back in the Wargroove    Back in the Wargroove  - Page 2 EmptyTue 26 Feb 2019 - 17:00

Most convincing alt. account ever. Suspect
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Back in the Wargroove    Back in the Wargroove  - Page 2 EmptyTue 26 Feb 2019 - 20:55

Brilliant. Pretty sure the Mole ended up posting something once that was eerily like one of my posts. Think he deleted it, though. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Back in the Wargroove    Back in the Wargroove  - Page 2 EmptyWed 27 Feb 2019 - 19:48

Oh Crash! The illusion is ruined
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Back in the Wargroove    Back in the Wargroove  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Back in the Wargroove
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2