We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?)

Go down 
+5
OrangeRakoon
The_Jaster
masofdas
Buskalilly
Balladeer
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?) - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?)   Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?) - Page 4 EmptyFri 19 Apr 2019 - 19:53

My main takeaway from episode 2 is that Greymon, who I used to think was terrifying, looks... dopey.  

I then watched episode 3 subbed followed by dubbed.  Main takeaways include the random songs, complete segments alternatively translated, omission of Izzy's introversion, removing the reference to Matt being throttled, and actually being able to know what the Digimon intro bios say.  I actually think I slightly prefer the dubbed script.  The move titles are definitely less naff: 'petit thunder'?  Strewth. (Foxfire > Howling Blaster though.)

Also: phone booth gubbins aside, Joe and Gomamon are by far the most helpful people on this trip.

JayMoyles wrote:
Izzy - A bit of a dick, right? He's not done much besides moan and show how clever he is. More to come.

Maybe he's better in the dub, but this is a Bad Take that can get stuffed. DAMN YOU!
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?) - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?)   Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?) - Page 4 EmptyFri 19 Apr 2019 - 21:51

Drunkalilly wrote:

In the dub, Tai was very clearly joking about stealing Gabumon's pelt. Is that not how it comes across in Japanese?

Nah, he was definitely joking - I was being faux outraged at it, was all. Still, I gravitate more towards reserved and composed characters compared to confident and hotheaded type, which is why I preferred Matt to Tai in the opening three episodes.

Balladeer wrote:
The move titles are definitely less naff: 'petit thunder'?  Strewth.  (Foxfire > Howling Blaster though.)

Aw, I like the Japanese move names. They're cute - the Rookie Digimon aren't meant to have menacing attack names, surely.

Balladeer wrote:

JayMoyles wrote:
Izzy - A bit of a dick, right? He's not done much besides moan and show how clever he is. More to come.

Maybe he's better in the dub, but this is a Bad Take that can get stuffed. DAMN YOU!

He's just been a bit moany and kinda mean to Tentomon so far - Nothing particularly pleasant about him yet beyond sharing some facts.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?)   Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?) - Page 4 EmptyFri 19 Apr 2019 - 22:06

I think they all start off being slightly arsey and get some development, don't they?  Matt could stand to open up a bit as well.  Maybe I just prefer Izzy's arseyness, being a NEEEEEEEERD[/homer] myself.

Another thing I noted between dub and sub: in the Japanese version, Tai and Matt apologise to each other after the whole pelt 'thing'.  In the American version, only Matt does.  Interesting touch.  (Also: completely different conversation re. TK before that.)  Part of me wants to watch both versions of all the episodes: most of me knows I won't have time. Sulk
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?)   Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?) - Page 4 EmptyFri 19 Apr 2019 - 22:09

Oh, that's an interesting change - I really liked that both Tai and Matt apologised to each other. I'd have expected Matt to, but it proved that Tai can be mature too.

Yeah, the TK conversation was linked to their surname being different and TK referring to Matt as "onii-chan", which the other kids kinda giggle at as they assume they're cousins or something. How did the dub handle that?
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?)   Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?) - Page 4 EmptyFri 19 Apr 2019 - 22:11

'Is it just me, or does Matt treat TK like less of a brother and more of a bother?' Then it turns out that they're half-brothers who don't see each other as much.

I think I'm going to have to do this to some degree, watching both: I just get such a nerdy sense of satisfaction out of it!
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?)   Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?) - Page 4 EmptyFri 19 Apr 2019 - 22:12

I'd be glad if you did - I was hoping either you or Drunka would go for that as an option as hearing about the differences between the dubbed and subbed versions sounded really appealing to me before we started the rewatch.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?)   Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?) - Page 4 EmptySat 20 Apr 2019 - 12:38

Ballamon wrote:
My main takeaway from episode 2 is that Greymon, who I used to think was terrifying, looks... dopey.  
Were you thinking of the first movie where he had that sick kaiju fight with Parrotmon? For me, Greymon is pretty sick.

JayMoyles wrote:

Nah, he was definitely joking - I was being faux outraged at it, was all. Still, I gravitate more towards reserved and composed characters compared to confident and hotheaded type, which is why I preferred Matt to Tai in the opening three episodes.

As I'm sure will not surprise you, I like the hotheads.

Balladeer wrote:
'Is it just me, or does Matt treat TK like less of a brother and more of a bother?'  Then it turns out that they're half-brothers who don't see each other as much.

I think I'm going to have to do this to some degree, watching both: I just get such a nerdy sense of satisfaction out of it!
Am I remembering right that in the original Japanese they aren't half brothers, they're full brothers who live apart?

JayMoyles wrote:
I'd be glad if you did - I was hoping either you or Drunka would go for that as an option as hearing about the differences between the dubbed and subbed versions sounded really appealing to me before we started the rewatch.

As I said, I want to move onto the Japanese version eventually. My current set up involves downloading the videos on konbini WiFi and watching it later. I haven't found a site that lets me do that with the sub version yet.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?)   Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?) - Page 4 EmptySat 20 Apr 2019 - 13:20

I have never seen the first movie. I cannot emphasise enough how much of a terrible Digimon fan I am. Embarrassed I guess 'awe-inspiring' is a better term than 'terrifying' though. But he's blatantly just a podgier bigger Agumon who put on a mask and some ink to try and look cool.

And yep, you remember correctly: full brothers, but parents divorced.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?)   Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?) - Page 4 EmptySat 20 Apr 2019 - 13:42

The cinematic movie that was released over here is the first three short movies awkwardly cut together into one feature film. The first of those short films actually predates the tv series- it is flashed back to later on in the show.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?)   Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?) - Page 4 EmptySun 21 Apr 2019 - 19:29

I was going to ask if we were going to watch the movie with some of it taking place at different times of the show.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?)   Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?) - Page 4 EmptySun 21 Apr 2019 - 19:37

I'm not sure where we'd slot in the movie, but interestingly, I've seen during my search on MAL that there's a 20th anniversary Digimon Adventure movie coming out next year!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?)   Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?) - Page 4 EmptyMon 22 Apr 2019 - 3:10

Is the 20th anniversary one part of Tri? That's kind of what the whole thing is.

In Japanese it'd be pretty easy to slot the movies in I think. First goes right at the start, Our War Game goes between 01 and 02, then the one with Terriermon goes smack dab in the middle of 02, then the Diaboramon sequel goes at the end of 02.

As for the dub, I'd say just save the movie until you're done with both seasons.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?)   Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?) - Page 4 EmptyMon 22 Apr 2019 - 5:25

Nah the 20th anniversary film coming next year isn't part of Tri. I am guessing it comes after Tri in the timeline though.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?)   Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?) - Page 4 EmptyMon 22 Apr 2019 - 16:43

Drunkalilly wrote:
Is the 20th anniversary one part of Tri? That's kind of what the whole thing is.

I don't know enough about Tri to comment, but here's a teaser for the film. Seems like it's going to have Tai as an adult, which is interesting.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?)   Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?) - Page 4 EmptyTue 23 Apr 2019 - 4:27

Well I need to catch up enough to see that in the theatre . . .
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?)   Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?) - Page 4 EmptyThu 25 Apr 2019 - 9:49

Yesterday ill in bed I watched 4-7 as I wasn't the disc back in for one episode. It's continuing how I thought it would with each on the Mon evolving in each episode and some plot starting to happen.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?)   Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?) - Page 4 EmptySat 27 Apr 2019 - 0:20

I've watched episodes four through six!

I typed up my thoughts and observations whilst watching the episodes, so I apologise if they're a bit live-bloggy at points.

EP 4: Red Hot! Birdramon:

EP 5: Electric Shock! Kabuterimon:

EP 6: Palmon's Angry Evolution!:

The Rankings and Overall Thoughts on EPs 4-6:
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?)   Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?) - Page 4 EmptySat 27 Apr 2019 - 9:47

Oh yes, I forgot to post this!  I don't know whether I'll get around to 5 and 6 this week, it's been hellish.

Episode 4:
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?)   Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?) - Page 4 EmptySun 28 Apr 2019 - 12:58

Episode 04: Biyomon Gets Firepower:

Episode 05: Kabuterimon's Electro Shocker:

Episode 06: Togemon in Toy Town:
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?)   Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?) - Page 4 EmptySun 28 Apr 2019 - 13:16

masofmon wrote:
Yesterday ill in bed I watched 4-7 as I wasn't the disc back in for one episode. It's continuing how I thought it would with each on the Mon evolving in each episode and some plot starting to happen.
Yep. With such a big cast, it almost still feels like we're in an extended pilot episode.

JayMon wrote:

Oh shit, is Izzy adopted? I had no recollection of that - I'm surprised considering that myself and my two siblings are both adopted and were raised to know that from the very beginning. I would have thought that I'd have liked him more and empathised with him if I knew that. As an aside, being adopted is no big deal at all for me or my siblings - our parents might not have birthed us, but they sure as hell raised us and that's how it's always been. I hate how shows portray adoption as a terrible thing for children, but maybe I'd feel differently had my parents not handled it correctly from a young age. I didn't expect to get so deep into this during a rewatch of a children's animated show about digital monsters. Laughing
I really can't remember how this plays out. But yeah, as someone half-adopted myself, adoption stuff can be very emotional when done properly, and a real turn-off when it isn't.
Metal Jaymon wrote:

The singing game that the kids and the Digimon are playing in the sewers doesn't make a lot of sense subtitled. How does the dub handle this bit?

Christ Sora... the other kids have really relatable things they miss from home - grilling meat, relaxing in the bath, playing video games, drinking cold cola on a hot day, messaging pals and Joe, the swot, wants to study, which fits his character at least. Sora wants to hang up washing. Hang... up... washing. Laughing
In the dub they're just singing a dumb song made up by Agumon, it doesn't try to get along that they're playing a game. There are loads of little games that all Japanese kids just seem to know from birth, so it's difficult to understand.

As for the Sora thing, the dub says that she misses home, and she's just reminded that she used to sing while she hung out laundry. Which is still a weird thing to miss. . .

War Jaymon wrote:

The announcer hesitates and sounds really exasperated when he mentions Numemon flinging its own shite at the kids, which is brilliant (the announcer hesitating, not the poo chucking). Did the English announcer do something similar?

Are cacti with faces a thing in Japan or is Togemon referencing cactuars from Final Fantasy?

My point about Digimon being a tier above champions being superior to Champions is instantly proved false when Togemon absolutely pastes Monzaemon. Welp.

I'm not even sure we have an announcer in English? That is pretty funny though.

I don't know for sure, but both Togemon and Cactuar kinda look like a mix between a cactus and a Haniwa, so maybe it's a thing?

I mean, Togemon has spikes so bubbles won't work, and then it punched Monzaemon until the gear came out. I'm not sure it was quite a pasting . . .
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?)   Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?) - Page 4 EmptySun 28 Apr 2019 - 21:23

I've now managed to watch all three both ways, mostly.  I was multi-tasking while I watched the Japanese ones though.

Episode 4 (dubbed - subbed above):

Episode 5:

Episode 6:

Onto 7-9!
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?)   Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?) - Page 4 EmptyTue 30 Apr 2019 - 7:29

There was a big Digimon section in Village Vanguard yesterday.
Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?) - Page 4 59188910
And it appears that hating on Patamon's Japanese voice is not exclusive to the forum:
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?)   Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?) - Page 4 EmptyTue 30 Apr 2019 - 20:12

Poor fella. He deserves better than that. Aww! Looks like a good quality toy, too.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?)   Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?) - Page 4 EmptyTue 7 May 2019 - 21:54

Going to give everyone another week to watch 7-9 since it's no fun if only I'm talking about them. Sad
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?)   Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?) - Page 4 EmptyWed 8 May 2019 - 0:20

Ah, I forgot about this for last week! I've just watched 7-9... my thoughts are below!

EP 7: A Roar! Ikkakumon!:

EP 8:

EP 9:

Rankings:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?)   Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?) - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Digimon, Digital Monsters, Digimon Are The Champions (Survive might actually be getting a release date!?)
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next