Wall tiles are shiny, and wood planks are woody

HomeHome  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
I'M EVEN LONELIER
Balladeer

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 11 EmptyThu 13 Feb 2020 - 19:57

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
No prizes for guessing what made me go back for a playthrough of 3D Gunstar Heroes on the 3DS. It's an updated version of the Mega Drive original, with first-rate stereoscopic 3D and modes where you swap weapons whenever you like and start with more health. Any way you play it, Gunstar Heroes is an absolute goddamn classic. 9/10.

One of my great sadnesses in life is that I didn't play GSH until the Wii Virtual Console, meaning that Gunstar Super Heroes was already almost impossible to find. A shame. Anyway, this is a very good title.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
Disciple of Miyamoto
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 11 EmptyFri 21 Feb 2020 - 14:56

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 11 Dreams-listing-thumb-01-ps4-us-11jun18?$native_xxl_nt$

Last night I finished what would be considered the story mode of dreams which has trophies etc but isn't its own menu or anything, nope it's just mixed in with the dreams you or I could have made.

That's the point really as everything in the story about Art, I could have made. Even if I wasn't looking at it like this a cool thing someone made, it's still a decent little campaign at around 3hrs that reminds me a bit of Sayonara Wild Hearts because even though everything has an overarching theme, it's that each level is a tad different to keep it all interesting.

Of course, this isn't the meat and potatoes of dreams that it also feels like Mortal Kombat 11 as even though that's got a story mode it isn't really what you're buying it for.

Same can be said for dreams you're buying because you either want to make cool things or to play cool things people have made, which is why I sort wish I'd bought it as a download or it was some sort of f2p app as I can see it being something you pop on now and again play an odd level then go play something else. Much how I'll watch something on YouTube then play a game.

Where having on disc and sure it's only a minute at the most makes it less pick up and play.

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
I'M EVEN LONELIER
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 11 EmptySat 22 Feb 2020 - 12:19

I've heard very good things about Dreams.  Not my sort of game, which eases the pain of it being unavailable to me.

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 11 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftechcrunch.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F09%2Flinks_awakening-4

As a history piece this game is more interesting than most to me.  I've played Link to the Past and I've played Ocarina of Time, and this feels a lot like a 'missing link' (stop it).  It's transparently from similar minds to LttP, in dungeon and overworld design; but the DNA of OoT is visible in the increased characterisation and the dungeon structure (get item halfway through, use to progress, defeat boss with).  That does mean that, as a game looked at in the light of today, and to someone who loved OoT but only tolerated LttP because he was young and had a guide, it fits in between the two quality-wise.

I'm not quite as damning about the game's structure as Cappa, but the dungeons are really hit-and-miss.  The last four take this almost literally (miss-hit-miss-hit), and it's not like the hits are great: they're bearable, but weaker than almost all the dungeons in following Zelda games.  The bosses are on the mediocre side as well, especially once you've unlocked the Colour Dungeon and picked the Red Mail: they fall apart quicker than Boris Johnson's statements under scrutiny.  In fact, that last half of the game is decidedly weaker than the first: there's minimal character interaction, weak dungeons, limited challenge, and the new parts of the overworld you explore are a bit dull.  Add the game's love of putting up one-way trips and making you backtrack a lot if you've made a mistake in taking them, and the actual gameplay side of things is... well, hit-and-miss.

The game saves itself on its aesthetics and, in its first half, the characters.  The parody nature of the Nintendo expies is nice, but it's people like Marin (who is an utter sweetie) and the ghost and the animals who make that first half so much better than the second.  Mostly Marin though.  They're helped in this regard by the lovely animation on the toy-like bodies.  I don't need to tell you how gorgeous this game is, right?  It might be the second-best-looking game on the machine after BotW, frame rate stutters notwithstanding, and that lends a real sense of atmosphere to Koholint that it wouldn't otherwise have.  There's also the anime-ish cut-scene at the beginning.  In addition, the animation did a lot to make me go a bit dewy-eyed at the ending, even though I knew exactly what was coming.

It's the aesthetics lifting the game from mediocrity to merely being mediocre for the series that make me strongly believe that I'd have resented this game if I'd tried to play it on the Game Boy.  It's the game being mediocre for the series despite the aesthetics that has made me think I don't want any more remasters from that era.

7/10
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Overton
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 11 EmptyMon 24 Feb 2020 - 12:53

No thoughts on the music Balla? As a big videogame music fan I thought you would, LA is very notable for it. Tal Tal Heights is possibly the best theme in the series.
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Balladeer
I'M EVEN LONELIER
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 11 EmptyMon 24 Feb 2020 - 21:07

Hm, interesting. I don't actually remember much one way or the other. That is to say, I remember the general overworld theme, the general caves theme, the general house theme, and the general boss theme; and none of them made much of an impact on me one way or the other. Nothing else sunk in, apart from Ballad of the Wind Fish which is obviously beautiful, and Animal Village which I didn't think was as good as everyone said it was going to be.

Now that I'm listening to it, Tal Tal's pretty good. I don't think it helped that at that point in the game I was just trying to press through to the end. The Face Shrine was noticeable, too: oddly creepy.

Oh and of course the credits made me do a sniffle.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Overton
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 11 EmptyTue 25 Feb 2020 - 10:39

The problem with hearing the Tal Tal Heights theme in game is that because the area is so disjointed with caves, it's quite easy to not really listen to it through. Not sure your opinion on chiptune but the original is a complete jam (the remake loses a little bit of its urgency): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOo5yr76RJs
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 11 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts
Page 11 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11