Direct-cellent or Dire-ect? Find out on Tuesday!

HomeHome  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 31, 32, 33
AuthorMessage
The Cappuccino Kid
Major Circuit Champion
The Cappuccino Kid

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 33 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 33 EmptySun 6 Jun 2021 - 22:39

Thanks for posting that Jimbob. Bubble Bobble 4 Friends has been a game I've been on the fence about since it came out. "Nice enough" and modernised Bubble Bobble is probably worth my money and time.  Thumbs Up!

~

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 33 H2x1_NSwitch_BalanWonderworld

I don’t need to introduce Balan Wonderworld. As you’ll know, this is one of the most maligned and most negatively-discussed games in recent memory. It seems destined to go down in infamy as a majorly high-profile critical and commercial calamity. 

Being a 3D platformer from the folk who made Sonic The Hedgehog and NiGHTS Into Dreams, I felt like it was worth a go regardless of the arse-kicking that some outlets gave it. Yet whether or not I was actually going to like it depended wholly on how open-minded I am, and how prepared I was to embrace a game that was so obviously messy, clumsy and altogether imperfect. Personally, I feel like I can be quite forgiving of just about any flawed game, especially when I’m presented with something that’s so unlike anything else I’ve experienced. So I had that frame of mind with Balan Wonderworld when I first bought it, honestly expecting to like it much more than the gaming media does. But if you’ve skipped ahead to look at the score, you’ll have already seen that, no, I didn’t forgive this game this time.  

Let’s consider some of Balan Wonderworld’s more positive aspects first. The game’s undeniable strength comes from it’s admirably surreal, dreamlike atmosphere. While at times I thought it veered dangerously between being a breath of fresh air and a load of artsy bollocks, to it’s credit it mostly pulls it off with conviction. It’s an amazingly odd game, using it’s colourful imagination to inspire lots of well-animated cutscenes and clever boss designs, as well as it’s pleasurable soundtrack that uses unusual compositions. At times they really nail it, even stimulating some tiny pangs of genius that sincerely reminded me of NiGHTS Into Dreams. Artistically, there’s definitely some good things about Balan Wonderworld. You just wish it was put into a much better game.

To be blunt, Balan Wonderworld is one of the worst 3D platformers I’ve ever played. It’s much worse than any of the Dreamcast-era stuff that I’ve seen others compare it to. 

Getting this off my chest: the controls are fucking rubbish; the Switch performance is a complete embarrassment that gave me honest-to-God nausea in handheld mode; too many of the costumes are feebly ineffective and a waste of time and effort; the core level design is ferociously boring; and the inclusion of the collectable Balan Statues to advance the story and unlock new levels just mercilessly prolongs the misery. I mean, Jesus Christ Almighty. All of Balan Wonderworld’s problems stack on top of each other until it all collapses. 

While Balan Wonderworld can almost be commended for trying something totally different, it’s simply not an okay game. In fact, it's absolutely bollocks, and I can honestly see how it's made Yuji Naka consider retirement. Even out of morbid curiosity for it’s sub-£15 price point, I can’t recommend it to any of the regulars who might read this. Yet true to it’s very strange form, it’ll almost certainly burn itself into my memory as one of the most unforgettable games I’ll ever play. 3/10.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Ice Climber
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 33 EmptyMon 7 Jun 2021 - 20:28

This is totally what I expected from this game yet it's getting to the point now where I'm genuinely a little bit curious now just for the memes... Maybe if it drops to a fiver.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Balladeer
The Next Aonuma
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 33 EmptyMon 7 Jun 2021 - 22:17

I feel like I've seen a fair few people, out of love for Yuji Naka or disdain for gaming press or whatever other reason, going, 'It can't be that bad, can it? ...oh,' with Balan. Kind of an anti-Celeste. Honest-to-God nausea though? I knew it had seizure fights, but what made it nauseating to play? That's pretty damn bad.

@Jimbob wrote:
Re: West of Loathing: I think it's great still, and already have nostalgia seeing that screenshot in your review, with Doc Alice there

I did of course pick Doc Alice. Always bring a healer.

@Rum wrote:
I don't remember Ghostwood specifically but I remember overall it thought the game did have a lot of laugh-out-loud moments. So that was enough for me and you have a terrible sense of humour.

So the forum reminds me at least once a year...
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Koizumi
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 33 EmptyMon 7 Jun 2021 - 22:30

Wave
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
The Next Aonuma
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 33 EmptyMon 7 Jun 2021 - 22:39

I'm guessing the wavy chap means that Mas still owns and presumably loves Balan.

Also, I forgot to say earlier: I was reading back through the thread and it's a grand old read. Lots of entertaining posts and useful recommendations. Thumbs Up! I've wishlisted Gato Roboto and Mr. Driller DrillLand from my retrospective, although I'll try the latter's demo. before I buy I think.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Koizumi
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 33 EmptyMon 7 Jun 2021 - 22:46

Don't own but certainly really liked it.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Brush God
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 33 EmptyTue 8 Jun 2021 - 2:26

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 33 Pixta_4978068_S_
A lot of terrible taste in this thread today . . .
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Koizumi
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 33 EmptyTue 8 Jun 2021 - 18:34

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 33 Necromunda-Hired-Gun

Ohh now a pattern is happening as Necromunda has reviewed poorly, mainly due to technical issues, yet I quite enjoyed just running around blasting enemies. It reminds me of late PS2-gen going into 360-gen when we had loads of FPS games and I would play them all, and if you did play Blacksite or Frontlines or whatever like that then you'll have a rough idea about Necromunda.

I would like to see some more B tier FPS games like this with a bit more polish as at the moment we only really get COD or a Battle Royal game or the odd big budget one every so often.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
The Next Aonuma
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 33 EmptyWed 9 Jun 2021 - 21:40

That sticky beans image really made my tummy feel ill. No Are they edible or mouldy?
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Brush God
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 33 EmptyThu 10 Jun 2021 - 0:53

@Balladeer wrote:
That sticky beans image really made my tummy feel ill. No Are they edible or mouldy?

They're edible but to anyone from outside Japan who didn't grow up eating it, Natto is fucking rank. It genuinely tastes like earwax, or the Switch cartridge flavour.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
gjones
Disciple of Maddrell
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 33 EmptyThu 10 Jun 2021 - 12:29

@Buskalilly wrote:
It genuinely tastes like earwax

Eh? So many questions...
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
The Next Aonuma
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 33 EmptySat 12 Jun 2021 - 14:50

Wikipedia says it's an 'acquired taste'.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Farore
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 33 EmptyToday at 15:37

I recently acquired a PS5 and it prompted me to go fucking mad and beat a ton of games in the last couple of months. So, here's a rapid fire review round-up, although if you want a deeper take on any of these from me I'm happy to expand on my thoughts!

Spider-Man: Miles Morales - More Spidey, innit? Looked bloody gorgeous on PS5 and swinging about in 60fps was silky smooth. Miles's new powers kept it from feeling like just a Spider-Man expansion and whilst it's definitely shorter than Peter's adventure, it's still a grand time. 8.5/10

Astro's Playroom - Loved this, genuinely. Whilst it's not as ingenious as some of Nintendo's greatest platformers, this is still a cracking wee platformer and it's all the sweeter considering it's a pack-in with the PS5. I enjoyed the charming references and there's a genuine love for the nearly 30 year history that the Playstation has amassed in this. 8.5/10

Bugsnax - Definitely one of the weirdest games I've played, that's for sure. I still quite liked it - it was more of a puzzle game in many places as you tried to figure out how to catch each of the eponymous Bugsnax in the game. Catching some of the Snax felt a wee bit clunky though, but it was still a decent time. 7/10

Control - Incredibly atmospheric and sucked me right into the world. The combat actually let this down a wee bit and devolved into using the force push ability in 99% of combat encounters. I can forgive it for how fun it is floating about and exploring the supernatural building the game is set in. 6.5/10

Ghost of Tsushima - A bit too Assassin's Creed in its world design and mission structure for my liking, but the combat was great and it was just fun being a samurai. I was also surprised by how much emotional oomph the story had. 8.5/10

God of War - The PS2 original is definitely showing its age by now - combat isn't as smooth as other character action games and there's some really frustrating level design and puzzles present here. Still, it's good fun killing Greek mythological beasts as a very angry man, but its sequels definitely do that much better. 5/10

God of War 2 - A bit more polished than the original but not by enough for my tastes. There's still some annoying puzzles and the combat isn't as good as the third game in the series, so having played that since has definitely coloured my opinion of this. 5.5/10

God of War 3 - Yeah, this is much more like it. The spectacle is ramped up to a series high, and the combat feels suitably tighter. Peak Angry Man killing action. 8/10

God of War (2018) - Such a brilliant game. The slower pace really suits the more emotional story and considering the peak of the series's writing to this point was "Angry Man wants to kill the gods", it's crazy how well they did with the story in this game. Add in a world that's rewarding to explore and a combat system that feels suitably brutal to match the older Kratos and you've got a classic. 10/10

Operation Tango - Rattled through this with Andy and quite enjoyed it! It's similar to that bomb disarming game in that you've got to solve puzzles by communicating with your partner. It's great fun both frantically trying to communicate a solution and revelling in the chaos as it is firing on all cylinders and working like a well oiled machine. I do think the hacker has a less interesting time of things than the agent role, but it's still a grand time if you can find a friend to play it with. 8/10

Ratchet and Clank: A Rift Apart - Proper showcase game for the PS5, this. A treat for the eyes and some great use of haptic feedback with the controller. Ratchet's a very cosy game series for me - you more or less know what you're going to get with the gameplay, but that's no bad thing. Just a fun ol' time. 8.5/10
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
masofdas
The Next Koizumi
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 33 EmptyToday at 15:47

6.5 for Control you've been talking to Andy to much.

Surprised about the PS2 God of War games as I played a bit of 2 recently and thought it held up really well and got what I was missing.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Farore
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 33 EmptyToday at 15:54

Some of the enemies felt too much like bullet sponges and the combat really wasn't engaging, hence my score there. Loved the world building though.

I think I'd have scored the PS2 GoWs higher had I not played GoW3 and the 2018 GoW right after - I found myself frustrated with them more than feeling that sense of blood-pumping action you want from a character action game.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts   Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts - Page 33 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Game You Finished And Your Four-ghts
Page 33 of 33Go to page : Previous  1 ... 18 ... 31, 32, 33