We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team)

Go down 
+2
OrangeRakoon
JayMoyles
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team)   Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team) EmptyMon 30 Sep 2019 - 23:00

I noticed we don't have a Sayonara Wild Hearts thread, so I guess this'll be the place for some chatter about it.

It's really good guys - surprisingly so. I didn't expect to be taken up by the game as much as I have been, but I'm really digging it. The game's both visually and aurally arresting. Each level is a fast paced blitz of bright colours and neat animations coupled with a gorgeous electro-pop soundtrack. The music's been right up my alley - it's the sort of the music that I'd normally listen to anyway. I think Drunka described it in the Last Game Finished thread as being like a visual album, and I think that's spot on. The levels don't outstay their welcome, much like a snappy music track.

Gameplay wise, I've not ran into any nasty difficulty spikes as each level has been gentle enough so far. Going for Gold Ranks might prove a bit more frustrating, but a normal playthrough seems like it'll be far removed from the likes of Thumper. I'm most impressed by how each level has tried something different so far. The game has gradually introduced new mechanics as I've progressed and it's helped the game from feeling like a slog and kept the pace up. I played for maybe 45 minutes and it genuinely felt like a third of the time. Well worth a look, folks.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team)   Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team) EmptyWed 2 Oct 2019 - 11:39

I've played Saynora Wild Hearts too. It's good, and a visual delight, but I have several criticisms that stop it going beyond that. Most of the levels are too short, so I never dropped into the "flow" that other rhythm games offer, and I was very disappointed with the very limited number of vocal tracks (those being the only ones of substantial length also). I also dislike the music-breaking mechanic of forcing you to retry sections to get them right, rather than continuing and just ranking you down for the mistake - an issue made weirder by being inconsistently enforced, and made more prominent by level design that relies more on memorisation that reaction.
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team)   Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team) EmptyWed 2 Oct 2019 - 15:59

JayMoyles wrote:
I think Drunka described it in the Last Game Finished thread as being like a visual album, and I think that's spot on.
Much as I'd love to, I can't claim that as a Drunka Original Thought. Every review under the sun says the same thing, and I think it originally comes from the devs themselves?
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team)   Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team) EmptyWed 2 Oct 2019 - 20:46

Oooooooor we could split those last few posts into a thread? Shifty

Seriously I think this has enough critical mass to get its own topic now. I've just scratched the surface, having just offed the Devils; but rarely for me it's made me want to have another go at getting my score up on that last level. Don't think I'll be trying for all golds though!
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team)   Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team) EmptyWed 2 Oct 2019 - 22:35

Drunkalilly wrote:
JayMoyles wrote:
I think Drunka described it in the Last Game Finished thread as being like a visual album, and I think that's spot on.
Much as I'd love to, I can't claim that as a Drunka Original Thought. Every review under the sun says the same thing, and I think it originally comes from the devs themselves?

That they did and why I think album mode is better than story mode.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team)   Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team) EmptyWed 2 Oct 2019 - 22:52

OrangeRakoon wrote:
I've played Saynora Wild Hearts too. It's good, and a visual delight, but I have several criticisms that stop it going beyond that. Most of the levels are too short, so I never dropped into the "flow" that other rhythm games offer, and I was very disappointed with the very limited number of vocal tracks (those being the only ones of substantial length also). I also dislike the music-breaking mechanic of forcing you to retry sections to get them right, rather than continuing and just ranking you down for the mistake - an issue made weirder by being inconsistently enforced, and made more prominent by level design that relies more on memorisation that reaction.

I think there's an endless "Album Mode" that'll probably allow you to easily get into that "flow" state you were referring to - I 100% get what you mean though as the tracks are pretty snappy. As to your second point, I suppose that's a further cost for failure beyond a reduction in score as it's immensely unsatisfying to have a break in the jams. I get where you're coming from with the memorisation elements as some of the trickier stages felt like trial and error at some parts.

The Lovers spoiler:

Think I'll fire it up and see out the rest of the game after I've browsed the forum, actually.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team)   Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team) EmptyThu 3 Oct 2019 - 10:16

Yes album mode is better and I think it should have been the default way to play the game from the start.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team)   Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team) EmptyTue 8 Oct 2019 - 20:35

I don't mind the short stages too much. I've just played the one that was basically Mushroom Gorge from MKWii and I enjoyed its fun gimmicks in bite-sized amounts. It does break the flow a bit but I'm not too fussed. It's still a very nice experience.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team)   Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team) EmptyTue 8 Oct 2019 - 20:45

I'm just waiting for this to be in the music thread
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team)   Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team) EmptyTue 8 Oct 2019 - 20:50

I've had two good sessions on this and I'm really enjoying it, and I'm thankful of those short stages that you's have mentioned for the simple fact that they've allowed me to get back in the swing of the game after I booted it up for the second time. Also I really like going for the top ranks in games like these and if it was all vocal tracks I'd probably get a little tired of trying the stages over and over so I think it's balanced quite nicely overall.

Anyhow, what are folks favourite songs? I've played up until Heartbreak IV and I quite like the one called Mine. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team)   Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team) EmptyTue 8 Oct 2019 - 21:00

I'll probably need to play a few more levels to be able to answer that one. Not the Mushroom Gorge level, that's for sure.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team)   Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team) EmptyWed 9 Oct 2019 - 10:44

The song from the trailer is the best, but honestly while the music is fine to good it's just not really to my personal taste
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team)   Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team) EmptyWed 9 Oct 2019 - 14:09

Yeah that's fair, it's not my favourite style of music either but I still find it really catchy to the point where I'm thinking of buying the vinyl they are releasing early next year.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team)   Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team) EmptyWed 9 Oct 2019 - 15:38

Is the soundtrack on the itunes? I'd be into getting that.

I went back and got the first few golds. I'm alternating this with Mario Kart lap times as the game for the neutral times of my existence.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team)   Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team) EmptyWed 9 Oct 2019 - 19:46

Aye it looks like it is on itunes. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team)   Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team) EmptyWed 9 Oct 2019 - 19:59

OrangeRakoon wrote:
The song from the trailer is the best, but honestly while the music is fine to good it's just not really to my personal taste

The_Jaster wrote:
Yeah that's fair, it's not my favourite style of music either but I still find it really catchy to the point where I'm thinking of buying the vinyl they are releasing early next year.

It taps directly into my guilty pleasure for J-Pop, born of many a long evening watching anime. I know it's not actually J-Pop, but given the title of the game and the general feel I can pretend that it is.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team)   Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team) EmptyWed 9 Oct 2019 - 23:55

Drunkalilly wrote:
Is the soundtrack on the itunes? I'd be into getting that.

Also on Spotify which I've just found out. Banging that into a playlist for the drive to and from work, for sure. Thumbs Up!

And then I'll be able to answer Jas's question as only having played each level once, I can't decide on a favourite tune quite as of yet.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team)   Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team) EmptyMon 14 Oct 2019 - 20:05

This is a weirdly good hangover game, I discovered this weekend. I blasted the hell out of
Spoiler:
and then played through the entirety of the third world (taking some time to silver each stage - gold is too much!) while lying in bed. I really like it, and the Switch is the best place to play it by far (value for money aside).

My favourite piece so far is definitely the trailer song, but Begin Again is the one I'm humming most!
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team)   Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team) EmptyMon 14 Oct 2019 - 20:33

Oh don't think I mentioned that I finished this a couple days or so ago, and it's one of my favourite games of the year. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team)   Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team) EmptyMon 14 Oct 2019 - 20:44

Balladeer wrote:
Switch is the best place to play it by far.

It's one game I can really see the benefit of most of the versions as got to look good in 4K 60fps on PS4 Pro but Switch with pick up play especially if you're going for ranks and play a quick track on the go or in bed.

Guess though if you've got an iPhone and super-duper Mac, you would get best of both worlds.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team)   Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team) EmptyMon 14 Oct 2019 - 21:05

Even Mas is a convert! (For this one game.) I think you'd need a tablet to get the same experience though: a 'phone screen is just too small.

The_Jaster wrote:
Oh don't think I mentioned that I finished this a couple days or so ago, and it's one of my favourite games of the year. Thumbs Up!

I might not disagree with you. Eh? It's at an advantage releasing where it is as well: with so many games coming out at once, the short length and pick-up-and-play style are more to cherish than to bemoan.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team)   Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team) EmptyTue 15 Oct 2019 - 1:06

Balladeer wrote:
(taking some time to silver each stage - gold is too much!)

Does not compute? How can you move on if a stage is beaten but you can beat it better?
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team)   Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team) EmptyTue 15 Oct 2019 - 22:14

I can understand it - a Silver means you were at least competent at the level but not excellent enough to get that Gold rank, but a Bronze means you probably struggled your way through and realistically haven't earned that sense of progression. It's about getting that sense of satisfaction without going through the faff of getting a Gold rank.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team)   Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team) EmptyWed 16 Oct 2019 - 1:52

I was having a laugh. It was a little goof. A lampoon. A simple lampoon.
On my initial playthrough I settled for silver but now I'm going for gold.I'm also well aware that I'm weird for obsessively reacting when I see a ranking system.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team)   Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team) EmptyThu 17 Oct 2019 - 19:40

I got the lampoon Drunka, fear not.

Hermit 64 can absolutely get to ****, spoiling one of my fave composer's offerings with that crappy stage. DAMN YOU!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team)   Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team) Empty

Back to top Go down

Sayonara Wild Hearts (a 'Pop Album Videogame' from the Year Walk team)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next