RIP Enrico Morricone - I Hope He Makes Lotsa Spaghetti Western Soundtracks in Heaven

HomeHome  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Evercade the new retro handheld

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Jimbob
Sheegoth
Jimbob

Evercade the new retro handheld - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evercade the new retro handheld   Evercade the new retro handheld - Page 2 EmptySun 14 Jun 2020 - 23:04

That CodeMasters one that Pengilly linked to was a bit odd, and I kept thinking about it. It's good that some Oliver Twins stuff is being released, and no-one makes adventure games like Dizzy any more. I just really wish they'd put it on Steam / Epic / itch.io / PSN / eShop / something that isn't a niche console.

Also at the time we were trying to work out why they were sort-of NES games; I've realised now that, not only have other publishers been able to reproduce their NES games in the last few years thanks to patents changing etc., but also: CodeMasters NES games were never "official" - you had to have that Plug-Thru thing! No wonder they never say NES on that press release. Although that does raise an ethical question of playing unofficial NES games on a completely different console designed to replicate that era anyway. Or does it? I dunno, it's late
Back to top Go down
http://jimbobsonofriber.tumblr.com/
masofdas
Arceus
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Evercade the new retro handheld   Evercade the new retro handheld - Page 2 EmptySun 14 Jun 2020 - 23:10

That's good to know more carts are planned and that not being able to get one till August is I guess a good thing.

Jim, they've never really mentioned which consoles unless they've had like when it comes to Atari games and that's due to some having 2600 & 7200 versions available and of course the Lynx sets, unlike Earthworm Jim doesn't say if Mega Drive or SNES.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Zeta Metroid
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Evercade the new retro handheld   Evercade the new retro handheld - Page 2 EmptyMon 22 Jun 2020 - 20:00

I’ve bought a couple more cartridges since my last post. Argos had an offer where you could buy two for £25, so I picked up what I could, which was the Interplay Collection 2 and the Data East Collection.  Everything else is almost completely out of stock. Anyway, I’ve put a decent amount of time into the Data East cartridge, completing several of the games. I’ll maybe do some short reviews in the Last Retro Game You Finished thread soon.

But my big issue with the Evercade has really come to light during these play sessions. Simply put, I don’t think I’ve spent any time with the Evercade and not thought ‘I’d rather be playing something else’. I’ve had a decent time with some of the games, true, but even the absolute best ones don’t really stand up next to their more famous 8 and 16 bit counterparts. Case in point: I think the very best game that’s available on Evercade is Earthworm Jim, that’s a really good game. Yet there’s at least ten 2D platformers on Nintendo Switch Online that I’d rate as being better.

Really, I’ve not discovered anything that I feel was fully worth my time. There’s too many games that don’t have much lifespan beyond the first few minutes either. There’s a quality concern as well: there’s several games which just plain bad, and simply wouldn’t be good enough for something like, say, Nintendo Switch Online. At this stage, I just feel like I’m trying to get my money’s worth.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
Arceus
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Evercade the new retro handheld   Evercade the new retro handheld - Page 2 EmptyWed 24 Jun 2020 - 11:18

I have ordered one as a treat with my savings I'm getting soon but no idea when it will arrive
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Sheegoth
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Evercade the new retro handheld   Evercade the new retro handheld - Page 2 EmptyThu 25 Jun 2020 - 21:40

Cappa, you've summed up something there that I didn't realise I was thinking. I wasn't interested in this anyway, as I refuse to buy another piece of hardware to play a limited subsection of games that could have just been released for the hardware I already had. But I hadn't even thought about the fact that they are going to mostly be arcade games, and those generally aren't designed to be thoughtful game experiences that you sit and think about, they're designed to be weird flashy things you put a few (in my day) 20p pieces in.
Back to top Go down
http://jimbobsonofriber.tumblr.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Evercade the new retro handheld   Evercade the new retro handheld - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Evercade the new retro handheld
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2