Bring Your Own Boos

HomeHome  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Evercade the new retro handheld

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Koizumi
masofdas

Evercade the new retro handheld - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Evercade the new retro handheld   Evercade the new retro handheld - Page 3 EmptyFri 23 Apr 2021 - 15:10

It's a nice wee thing
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Koizumi
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Evercade the new retro handheld   Evercade the new retro handheld - Page 3 EmptyTue 18 May 2021 - 15:29

Seen the new arcade series coming, really like the arcade games packaging and the VS is sort tempting that I might use more than plugging a handheld into a TV like a PSP.

However that's £90 towards a PS5, two or three Switch games, anything else.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Steel Samurai
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Evercade the new retro handheld   Evercade the new retro handheld - Page 3 EmptyTue 18 May 2021 - 18:57

...meaning that this year's releases are looking like this:
Evercade the new retro handheld - Page 3 E1qJx9TXsAUU7oN?format=jpg&name=small

While there's plenty of good games Technos, Atari and Data East cartridges, they're mostly all very familiar to retro gamers - especially if you've got Antstream. Gaelco is the only collection that's presenting anything truly different - I'd honestly never heard of any of those games. Mind you, Evercade have shown that they've got an incredible knack for licensing some utter keech. No joke, that Piko Interactive 2 collection has three of the very worst games I've ever played on it. By that logic, maybe there's good reason why I don't know about these Gaelco games. 

I'm happy to read that the arcade cartridges are £14.99 as well, meaning that they're cheap enough that I'll be happy to pick them up. I'm not sure about the VS. console though. I've never been tempted to hook up my Evercade handheld to my TV via HDMI, it's strictly a portable for me. 

£90 doesn't seem too bad if it's coming with two of these four arcade collections, but you're right, that's money that can go on something else. Personally, I might use it towards a Playdate.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Koizumi
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Evercade the new retro handheld   Evercade the new retro handheld - Page 3 EmptyTue 2 Nov 2021 - 17:50

Some extra games on the VS
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Steel Samurai
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Evercade the new retro handheld   Evercade the new retro handheld - Page 3 EmptyWed 3 Nov 2021 - 17:43

The Vs. seems to be a well-designed and intelligent piece of kit that’s had a lot of effort put into it. To be honest though, I’d just prefer an enhanced handheld. The technology inside the one that launched just last year already feels a bit ancient, with it’s low-quality display and it’s micro USB port for charging. I’ve got a really annoying and big speck of dust caught under the screen of mine, which shows that the build quality isn’t as tight as I’d first thought. Only having two shoulder buttons is clearly an issue for emulating PlayStation games too.

Still, £109.99 for the home console with two pads and two arcade cartridges is a good price – and it’s this price as well as the ricketiness of the original Evercade that might push me to get this Vs. console in the end, even though I’m not truly wanting it.

Although it's asking a lot right before Christmas, the six cartridges that are coming out on the same day next month have plenty of unusual and uncommon games on them, and I think that’s when the Evercade is at its best. I hope they announced much more like that in 2022.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Steel Samurai
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Evercade the new retro handheld   Evercade the new retro handheld - Page 3 EmptyTue 7 Dec 2021 - 16:26

There’s a new blog post on the Evercade’s website. It lists their plans for 2022:

https://evercade.co.uk/looking-forward-to-evercade-2022/

I’d say there’s more bad news than good here. Basically, four of the (best) cartridges are going out of stock because licenses are expiring, and all the others are going to see a price hike. The handheld bundles are going up by £20 too. I appreciate that parts are said to be expensive and tricky to source, but the Evercade is old technology that’s not extravagantly built.

The Evercade Vs. is out this month too, but there’s been all sorts of COVID-related problems with production, shipping providers and delivery dates. All my pre-orders for the six new carts were randomly cancelled on Amazon last month, but some of them have popped back up on store without an estimated delivery date. My local GAME doesn’t even have the Evercade Vs. on their scheduled stock list – when I asked about it, they tried to sell me one of those mini Amiga 500s.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Evercade the new retro handheld   Evercade the new retro handheld - Page 3 EmptyTue 7 Dec 2021 - 17:10

Thanks on the heads up on the games going out of stock - I've had my eye on this for a while but never jumped in, and those Namco carts are part of the appeal!
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
The Cappuccino Kid
Steel Samurai
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Evercade the new retro handheld   Evercade the new retro handheld - Page 3 EmptySat 11 Dec 2021 - 8:37

Of all things, Evercade launched a gaming helpline earlier in the week:

I’ve read that it’s quite alike to the types of ones that were around pre-internet, with news stories, tips and high score challenges. I can’t think of anything that’s less pragmatic, but it adds to the Evercade’s authenticity, so fair cop.

They also announced another cartridge on that helpline, and publicly shared news of it today:

A Gremlin Interactive cartridge wasn’t too hard to predict. It fits the typical Evercade bill of being cheap and British but deeply nostalgic. But it’s a fairly uncommon and overall weird set of games too. Right enough, Zool and Premier Manager ’97 have been on Antstream Arcade another similar services for a while now, but I don’t think anybody’s thought about Actua Soccer or Hardcore 4X4 in about twenty-five years. I’d truthfully never heard of the other two until now. So, what’s here is a first-gen 3D football game, a first-gen 3D racer, a consolised football management simulator, a consolised God game, a Game Boy puzzler and a wonky 2D platformer that’s fuelled by Chupa Chups lollies.

Who curates this stuff? It's very hard to imagine anybody having much fun with that choice of games in 2022.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Evercade the new retro handheld   Evercade the new retro handheld - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Evercade the new retro handheld
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3