Direct-cellent or Dire-ect? Find out on Tuesday!

HomeHome  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18
AuthorMessage
Rum
Disciple of Overton
Rum

Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 18 EmptyTue 1 Jun 2021 - 22:09

I think the first Phoenix Wright is consistently good, whereas the second has higher highs and lower lows. I've just finished the third case in the third game, and I believe I'm about to start a rollercoaster of a ride with the last couple of cases - but so far I think that, out of the three, this game's logic is generally a lot more consistent and understandable!
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/cww_george
masofdas
The Next Koizumi
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 18 EmptyTue 1 Jun 2021 - 22:59

Yes that is the plan
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
The Next Aonuma
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 18 EmptyWed 2 Jun 2021 - 20:45

Well I hope it works! In retrospect I don't think it's so surprising that you haven't played it: you like your wordy games 'artsier'. The AAs are, despite all their text, unashamedly gamey.

@Rum wrote:
...so far I think that, out of the three, this game's logic is generally a lot more consistent and understandable!

I did laugh when the fifth case of game 1 introduced the principles of Evidence Law - principles that the series ignores entirely everywhere apart from in that one case. Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The Cappuccino Kid
Major Circuit Champion
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 18 EmptySun 6 Jun 2021 - 19:54

All gaming connoisseurs know that the best order to play the Ace Attorney games is as follows:

• Kuru Kuru Kururin
  • and the rest

~

Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 18 220px-Tmntgba

I’ve been fed enough film tie-ins on handheld systems to know that they’re almost always worth avoiding. Yet two things convinced me to give TMNT a go. The first one had stuck out to me for years: I’d remembered that Nintendo Gamer Magazine had surprisingly rated it as one of the best games on the system. In several of their issues, they rank it in their GBA top 25. The quote from one issue I dug out says “What, really? YES! This forgotten wonder is even better than SNES’s Turtles In Time”. That’s a very bold statement there. The recent announcement of TMNT: Shredder’s Revenge was the second thing that urged me to give this a try. It seemed like a good time.

First things first: no, this isn’t better than SNES’s Turtles In Time. It lacks that game’s style, flair and especially it’s outstanding soundtrack. That said, it’s still a neat side-scrolling brawler. To my surprise, TMNT immediately reminded me of Scott Pilgram: The Game. The way TMNT is animated was strikingly familiar yet one-of-a-kind, and the way you chain your attacks and juggle your enemies was something I’d only ever seen in Scott Pilgram before. Right enough, it turns out that the two games were developed by the same team.

I never saw the film it’s based on so all it’s efforts to follow the plot fell flat with me. Likewise, I don’t really remember enough about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles animated cartoon to really tell when the game was trying to pay fan service. All the same, when judged as a straightforward retro side-scrolling brawler, it holds up pretty well. This would have certainly been a standout title in a time when the last good side-scrolling brawlers were from the ‘90s, and the next good ones wouldn’t be until the 2010s. 7/10.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Brush God
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 18 EmptyMon 7 Jun 2021 - 15:04

I remember GNamer saying it was half-decent so I'm happy to learn it holds up.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
The Cappuccino Kid
Major Circuit Champion
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 18 EmptySat 12 Jun 2021 - 7:52

Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 18 Wwe-survivor-series-(u)-gameboy-advance

I’m well-acquainted with 90% of the WWF/WWE games by this point, being able to seperate the Here Comes The Pains from the WrestleMania Steel Cage Challenges. That said, WWE Survivor Series on the GBA wasn’t something I knew much about. With illusions of WWF Superstars on the original Game Boy though, I thought it could be decent.

Starting with the positives, it’s a nicely animated game that’s stuffed with high-quality sprite work. It’s a good-sounding game as well. I’m always entertained by 16-bit renditions of wrestler’s themes too, and it’s no different on GBA than it was with the Mega Drive and SNES games. Furthermore, the game’s Story Mode gives the player a focal point, with the emphasis being on having entertaining matches in order to make progression through your wrestler’s career. However, it’s really just window dressing. While the AI might tell you that it’s ‘entertained’, you definitely wouldn’t be.

Aye, WWE Survivor Series just isn’t very satisfying to play. The sluggish and unresponsive controls don’t help make it particularly accessible, and the shallow move pool and dumb AI contribute to the boredom in a big way. There’s very little to discern one wrestler from another either - it doesn’t matter if you’re 7 foot Undertaker or reknowned short-arse Rey Mysterio, they’ve all got the same speed, same height and same posture. It’s lazy stuff, and putting this all together makes me think that Natsume (!) didn’t spend too much time developing it. 

Just skip it. WWE Survivor Series is one of the more missable WWE games there’s been. It's not Gobbledy Gooker bad, but this game were an actual Survivor Series moment it would have been the one where Vladimir Kozlov fought for the WWE Championship. Ugh. 4/10.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Maddrell
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 18 EmptySat 12 Jun 2021 - 19:28

Yeah I had Survivor Series on GBA and it was a pile of arse. All the gameplay of a GameBoy game dressed up behind some GBA visuals. You're better off getting one of them miniature rings and some wrestlers, and re-enacting matches that way. Don't judge me...

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 18 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts
Page 18 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18