Saudi Arabia's Public Investment Fund can acquire 5% of the Grackler's boaby

HomeHome  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts

Go down 
+11
Crumpy Andy
Muss
Rum
JayMoyles
The_Jaster
Jimbob
Buskalilly
OrangeRakoon
gjones
masofdas
The Cappuccino Kid
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
The Next Miyamoto
Balladeer

Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 26 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 26 EmptyWed 20 Apr 2022 - 22:19

Ah yes, I remember N64 absolutely dumping on Backlash at the time. Was it Thunderfist that they liked the most? (It wasn't, there was something they gave 9/10 to and it wasn't a robot, but I just liked the idea of playing a cartwheeling Transformer.) Good to read that Cappa, I could swear I've seen that Blast Corps has been accused of ageing badly and it's nice to see a more glowing write-up for a game I have lots of nostalgia for... despite having never played.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
gjones
Disciple of Greener
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 26 EmptyThu 28 Apr 2022 - 13:41

Fuck me, that Cruis'n USA Main Theme is insane. It sounds like an old fella cracking one out on a rollercoaster. Presumably...

Blast Corps is a brilliant little game, one that I didn't play at the time but worked my way through at university when I dipped back into retro. It got really hard at the end so I never actually beat it, which you're right Cappa, is its main drawback. It's the one game on the Rare Replay that I would love to revisit but I'm not buying an Xbox for it. Seems like a straightforward title to bring back too (no licensing, basic design).
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Reggie
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 26 EmptyThu 28 Apr 2022 - 15:23

RARE Replay is all of Xbox, so XCLOUD is a option and no need to buy a Xbox.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Portrait Ghost
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 26 EmptyFri 29 Apr 2022 - 9:39

Apart from visually, I don’t think Blast Corps has aged much. It’s still quite unique. I can’t think of anything to compare it to that might make it feel dated. It’s fresh in that sense.

~

Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 26 Chameleon-twist-cover.cover_large

N64 Magazine said: “Thrills and spills but it won’t take you long to finish. The multiplayer game is okay, mind”. 70% in Issue 10, ⅖ in Issue 59.
N64 Pro said: “A fine 3D platform game with a number of novel twists (ahem). Whilst lacking the polish of Mario 64, this is still an enjoyable experience”. 81% in Issue 17.

I’ve always thought that Chameleon Twist was due a comeback. I’m not suggesting that it warrants a full-blown PS5/XBSX remake, but I didn’t see why Sunsoft couldn’t have put this on Virtual Console – they were a quite prolific publisher on the Wii one especially. I regarded Chameleon Twist as the best short N64 game for a long time, as an excellent way to use two hours of my free time. That opinion is fifteen years old though, and I thought it would be worthwhile to reevaluate that stance.

Chameleon Twist is quite an odd and creative 3D platformer from the first year of the N64’s life. Maybe the most strikingly unusual thing about it is that the character on the cover clearly looks hee-haw like a chameleon. That’s because the game’s plot is about Davy the chameleon lizard getting transformed into an alien after following an Alice In Wonderland-like rabbit into their magical honeypot. For Davy to get home, you need to platform through six worlds and use his chameleon tongue to digest enemies, spit them out to hit bigger enemies and switches, swing around scenery like some kind of martian lapdancer or use it as a pole vault to hop onto higher ledges. ‘A’ jumps and ‘B’ uses all your tongue stuff, it’s controls are sensibly implemented. The ‘C’ buttons work your camera, and while it’s a little bit restrictive it doesn’t cause too many obstructions throughout the game’s short lifespan. Where it’s fixed and positioned can be a bit off at times though, and there’s a couple of sections where you’d wish it would shift so that you could better use your tongue and see how to get across the sequence.

Chameleon Twist isn’t really long, complicated or challenging enough to cause any frustration. And while no single aspect of it’s graphics, sound or even gameplay is particularly great, it still manages to be quite good fun. You’d have been scanted if you’d paid £50 for it off of the Woolworths shelf, but Chameleon Twist is a sub-£10 cartridge to get these days and I wouldn’t see it making life hard for any emulator either. Give it a shot, it’s not a bad example of an N64 3D platformer at all. 7/10.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Naga
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 26 EmptySat 30 Apr 2022 - 9:59

I trust you that the game is alright, but that boxart is seriously half-arsed!
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
The Next Miyamoto
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 26 EmptyTue 3 May 2022 - 20:41

'We need something to put in the top half of the box. Any ideas?'
'I've got nothing.'
'Brilliant!'
'...what's brilliant?'
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The Cappuccino Kid
Portrait Ghost
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 26 EmptyTue 3 May 2022 - 22:20

Even twenty-five years ago that boxart stood out as being a bit rubbish. I might need to put together a bad N64 boxart list sometime, as there’s loads of utter chuff once you look past Nintendo and Rare’s stuff.

Chameleon Twist is a nice enough game though. I can remember the afternoon when I started and finished it pretty well – it was a really sunny day when I supposed to be “working from home” during the first lockdown. Good memories. I think it would be ideal for Nintendo Switch Online too.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Portrait Ghost
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 26 EmptyThu 12 May 2022 - 19:45

Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 26 MV5BYzdiMmY3NjgtNzQ5OC00OWNmLWIzOTQtM2NkZTJkOTc2N2RhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTk5NDI0MA@@._V1_

N64 Magazine said: “As painful as a game where you have red hot needles shoved into your eyes. Very, very hard”. 24% in Issue 9, 0/5 in Issue 59.
64 Magazine said: “The second worst game on N64 after Carmageddon!”. 8% in Issue 8.

Clayfighter’s whole identity is in it’s title, using stop-motion claymation to parody the likes of Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct, though strictly for laughs. I guess what’s refreshing about Clayfighter 63 1/3 is that it doesn’t take itself seriously, nor does it have any pretentious backstory (Mortal Kombat, I’m looking at you and your otherworldly pish). Clayfighter 63 1/3 doesn’t try to be anything other than a fighting game, it’s just about fighters trying to be the best, that’s all. It tries to be quite a wacky and slapstick fighter, true, but if you were inclined to do so I suppose you could just play this like it was an Aardman Killer Instinct or something. With a good amount of variety to the characters and their movesets, I think Aardman Killer Instinct sounds quite appealing on paper. Don’t ever play Clayfighter 63 1/3 though, because it’s gash.

The combat is exceptionally boring. Clayfighter 63 1/3 moves slowly, the combos are visually unimpressive and annoying, and the damage meters are too big. My playthrough was maybe only about half an hour, but I was fatigued with Clayfighter 63 1/3 well before I reached its credits. The humour doesn’t carry it, as the speech samples are unclear, the characters are cheesy and unlikeable and the feeble jokes repeat themselves too quickly. It really, really wears thin. On another note, I’m perplexed as to why this looks so much duller and murkier than the first Clayfighter game on the Mega Drive. The game is totally drained of colour and vibrancy, and I don’t think those models look anything like clay either. With bland graphics, plodding music and an overall dimness, Clayfighter 63 1/3 gives off a strangely brooding mood that doesn’t fit the intended tone of the game. These days, it just looks old and tired. In many instances it’s comedy has aged very poorly too. There’s a number of lazy racial stereotypes here, such as the voodoo witch doctor and the sushi chef karate man. Thinking in a 'worst case scenario' kind of way, they act and talk exactly like you’d imagine, unfortunately. There’s no chance they’d be allowed to be in a game like this today. There’s probably no chance that a game like this would be made today either, because it’s just too shite.

The Clayfighter series started off badly and somehow got worse from there. The first one was an average fighter with a decent gimmick that stood out a tiny bit, and though the second one is similar, it all began to be a bit lame, one-note and wearisome. Clayfighter needed a reinvention for its own future, but it never came. As a result, this third one is just plainly rubbish, and a very bad fighting game that was well past it’s expiration date when it came out. It’s not in on its own joke, it is the joke: Clayfighter 63 1/3 is a laughable and loathsome waste of plastic. 2/10.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Reggie
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 26 EmptyThu 12 May 2022 - 19:55

Didnt it have a special edition blockbuster edition, which is meant to be a tad better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts   Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts - Page 26 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Retro Game You Finished And Your Thoughts
Page 26 of 26Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26