We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production)

Go down 
+7
Treesmurf
Muss
Buskalilly
The Cappuccino Kid
Jimbob
masofdas
Balladeer
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production)   Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production) - Page 2 EmptyFri 8 Jan 2021 - 10:06

I know I've already made this joke, but this game is really going to look pish coming out the same exact day as MHR. It might have got a look-in if it came out on a quiet month and I was looking for a mediocre 3D platformer but . . .
JayMoyles wrote:
I might squeeze in a few meals and some sleep here or there.
Like, I don't know if I will!
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production)   Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production) - Page 2 EmptyFri 8 Jan 2021 - 11:29

It's sort why till my post why I was getting on Xbox, it would be my new Xbox game for March (sort a April, depending on how pay falls) but now that's changed due to lack of physical version.

Think it will look pish or focus won't really be on it because of how big MonHan is but that is only on Switch, so Push Square etc aren't going to be talking MonHan Rise that it might do okay.

And for me as I now have the day off and plan to get a Switch of some sort, it's sort of a new launch day for me with MonHan Rise as BotW the big game with most of the focus and Balan being whatever else I played on Switch at the time, then of course have a got a bit of backlog building up as well for Switch due to these Japanese games that don't come to Xbox.

#YearoftheSwitch
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production)   Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production) - Page 2 EmptyFri 8 Jan 2021 - 13:20

Wait, has it always been Wonderworld and not Wonderland or have I stepped into an alternate reality?
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production)   Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production) - Page 2 EmptyFri 8 Jan 2021 - 15:27

Yeah I believe so
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production)   Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production) - Page 2 EmptyFri 8 Jan 2021 - 21:43

Have we had another trailer for this? It feels like it got that rather impressive reveal trailer, and then... vanished.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production)   Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production) - Page 2 EmptyFri 8 Jan 2021 - 22:29

Was some hands on gameplay of the PS5 version back in November
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production)   Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production) - Page 2 EmptySun 10 Jan 2021 - 15:20

Buskalilly wrote:
Wait, has it always been Wonderworld and not Wonderland or have I stepped into an alternate reality?

What the fuck, I thought it was Wonderland too. What the hell?!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production)   Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production) - Page 2 EmptyThu 28 Jan 2021 - 23:02

There's a demo for this out on the eShop which I've just finished. I get that demos aren't "fully representative of the final product" and all that, but for a game that's out in two months this is looking really rough. 

Two things brought it down for me. Number one was the speed of your characters' movement and jumping - it's just too sluggish. Secondly were the graphics, which look basic, odd and right at home on the PlayStation 2. That's weird, because the cutscenes look fantastic. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the Switch version got delayed. I'd actually welcome that, as there's maybe a semblance of a good game here. It evoked a lot of memories of NiGHTS Into Dreams and Billy Hatcher & The Giant Egg while having a strong character of it's own. But this demo... Meh
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production)   Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production) - Page 2 EmptyFri 29 Jan 2021 - 0:22

I've downloaded the demo as well on Switch as that's likely where I would buy the game due to lack of physical Xbox version.

But I've seen gameplay of the demo on Switch and it does look dreadful that I looked at PS5 footage where the game from graphics point of view looks much better, just everything else still looks meh

I wasn't expecting a 10/10, just a fun afternoon, yet from what I'm seeing could be played for bum reviews.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production)   Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production) - Page 2 EmptySat 30 Jan 2021 - 10:43

It's not really cricket to enjoy something getting slated - and yet, I couldn't help enjoying Nintendo Life absolutely tear into the demo. The game's entire budget went on cut-scenes didn't it. Neutral

Oh - and full credit to Cappa and Smurf for recognising this early days. I threw away the chips after they got pissed on, but it turns out they were full of writhing maggots.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production)   Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production) - Page 2 EmptySat 30 Jan 2021 - 20:49

I was really hoping that someone picked this up in the Fantasy League for that reason as it would have been a sure counterpick.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production)   Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production) - Page 2 EmptySun 31 Jan 2021 - 13:33

Not surprised to hear this is shaping up to be a right stinker - it looked guff in those early gameplay snippets!
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production)   Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production) - Page 2 EmptySun 31 Jan 2021 - 17:03

I'm surprised at just how guff it appears to be though. Costumes that stop you from jumping? In a platformer!? Nintendo Life suggested that it was probably originally a mobile game, given the one-button controls.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production)   Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production) - Page 2 EmptySun 31 Jan 2021 - 20:11

This sound basically like any 3D Sonic game post Heroes, no surprises here.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production)   Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production) - Page 2 EmptyMon 1 Feb 2021 - 11:05

Treesmurf wrote:
This sound basically like any 3D Sonic game post Heroes, no surprises here.

Oh no, it is absolutely worse

Having played the demo I am fascinated by this game to the point I think I will buy it, even though (because?) it is very bad Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production)   Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production) - Page 2 EmptyMon 1 Feb 2021 - 15:02

This is going to be this year's Left Alive or Shenmue III isn't it?

I still kinda want to play it though but going have to be a sale now which might mean on Xbox instead if it goes cheap digitally at some point.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production)   Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production) - Page 2 EmptyMon 1 Feb 2021 - 19:49

I hope OR or Mas is up for dropping a review in the Big Pot Full of Bum thread, because this sounds like it's going to warrant it!
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production)   Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production) - Page 2 EmptyWed 3 Feb 2021 - 14:29

Left Alive has a really strong opening, I've basically only played that bit of it and have to take my friend on his word that the game becomes bad after that!
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production)   Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production) - Page 2 EmptyThu 4 Feb 2021 - 21:13

...I'm very confused by that post. Eh?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production)   Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production) - Page 2 EmptyThu 4 Feb 2021 - 22:32

Because I said Balan could be this years Left Alive or Shenmue III.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production)   Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production) - Page 2 EmptyThu 4 Feb 2021 - 22:45

Duh! Duh! Duh! It's been a long day.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production)   Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production) - Page 2 EmptySun 28 Mar 2021 - 22:16

This launched back on Friday 26th there, where the only chat surround it was with the final boss battle triggering folks' epilepsy. There was bugger all in the way of video reviews on YouTube, and there was bugger all to see when you searched it's name on Twitter. Anyway, Chris Scullion quietly posted it's only review at some point earlier today:

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/reviews/balan-wonderworld/ 

It's true that the demo was rougher than a junkie's carpet, but that review has strangely done the job here. When he says that it's 'like an HD take on a PS2 platformer' and that it 'might be a pleasant experience for fans of retro games'...yeah, I know he's given it 2/5 but I actually want this now!

I've been easily persuaded, but what would it take for you to give Balan Wonderworld another chance?
Back to top Go down
neil
Wii U Port
neil

PostSubject: Re: Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production)   Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production) - Page 2 EmptySun 28 Mar 2021 - 22:56

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
what would it take for you to give Balan Wonderworld another chance?

I'd have to give it a first chance, then suffer a spell of amnesia
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production)   Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production) - Page 2 EmptySun 28 Mar 2021 - 23:03

I bought it after reading his review and having that eBay voucher to get the Xbox version for £27.

I know Switch version was £4 more at £31, but it looked really bad from the demo and I think Scullion brings up Xbox version has some technical issues that I can't see Switch version really being on the par with the others unlike something like Crash 4.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production)   Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production) - Page 2 EmptyMon 29 Mar 2021 - 20:21

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
I've been easily persuaded, but what would it take for you to give Balan Wonderworld another chance?

I'm guessing this is addressed at people who have that nostalgia for PS2 platformers? Regardless, it's actually pretty simple what I'd need: a jump button. For every suit. It's a ludicrous idea that there are power-ups in a platformer that remove your ability to jump. The game obviously has its other problems, but this is such a hugely massive cock-up that it could only belong in a game where the final boss gives you seizures. (Patched out since, I know, but the fact that this wasn't caught in playtesting says something about the game as a whole I think.)

There are other problems from what I've read, but the big one is that jump button. Terrible awful thing to have in a platformer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production)   Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Balan Wonderworld (A Naka-Ohshima Musical Production)
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GNamer Forum :: GNamer Forum :: Nintendo Switch-
Jump to: