We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy

Go down 
+2
Muss
Buskalilly
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy Empty
PostSubject: Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy   Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy EmptyThu 18 Feb 2021 - 2:24

I really dug the art style of Project Octopath but I'm not big into very traditional JRPG mechanics. This one is supposedly more of a tactical thing - I think people mentioned Final Fantasy tactics as a vibe? - and I'm up for a bit of that.

Last edited by Buskalilly on Sun 6 Mar 2022 - 10:06; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy   Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy EmptyThu 18 Feb 2021 - 14:11

Wish we still had the Miiverse because I'd wager the water review guy would love this little beauty.

But for reals this was the game of the presentation for me. I really like tactics rpgs and we don't see many these days unless you're willing to plunge into the abyss of mobile gaming. Biggest disappointment is just knowing it won't be out this year.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy   Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy EmptyThu 18 Feb 2021 - 15:00

I'm downloading the demo as this was the biggest announcement for me as we've not had a Final Fantasy Tactics for years and this is close to it.

Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy   Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy EmptyThu 18 Feb 2021 - 15:08

Forgot there was a demo! I'll nab that and the Capcom stuff after dinner.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy   Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy EmptyThu 18 Feb 2021 - 16:19

Got the demo ready to play also. Really hoping they stick with the name
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy   Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy EmptyThu 18 Feb 2021 - 20:25

Just finished the demo which took me 3hrs 45mins where I made the choice of protecting Roland.

Can a demo be Game of the Year as so far this is best new thing I've played in 2021 (Sorry Medium) as it looks gorgeous, something I've not played for awhile due to the lack of Final Fantasy Tactics and I get Fire Emblem Three Houses vibes.

I'm hoping as we've had the demo this is out this time next year basically in the Bravely Default II spot.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy   Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy EmptySat 20 Feb 2021 - 12:50

I've not finished the demo yet but I think it's a strange one. It tells you from the off not to worry about the story because it's an extract from the midpoint of the game.

I can understand going for a midpoint as you'll have more characters to tinker with in battle, but I don't really get why they then had so many talky bits. Theres a good 15 minutes of jrpg waffle before you can do anything.

Would have preferred to be given battles without so much context as that would still be enough to get a perspective on the games atmosphere. I wouldn't start a book at chapter 8, but that's what happens here!

It's a bit problematic because when you start the first battle, you have a dozen unique units all with different stats and so you have to work out what everyone is. It should have started off with a little tutorial and then a selection of larger battles.

As a game I think it's a perfectly competent srpg, but there's nothing that elevates it mechanically above the likes of ogre battle 64, or certainly contemporary western takes like xcom. Beyond its incredible art style it's quite cumbersome in comparison, although that could partially be down to it dropping you in at the deep end. I worry that there will be too many units, each with unique moves, and that it'll involve too much micro management, something xcom and ogre battle don't suffer from.

It remains to be seen how much character customisation, narrative decisions, and scenario variation we get in the real game, or how good the story is.

Still excited for the final version because I like the genre but not the best first impression.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy   Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy EmptySat 20 Feb 2021 - 15:04

I had the demo downloaded and ready to try until I saw mas had played it for nearly 4 hours (I've got some full games on the backlog that are that long) so instead I deleted it & watched a vod of a twitch stream I regularly watch. He only played it for like a hour or so and made the very cheese-y dialogue more watchable, the strategy part of the game does look decent though and the stealth character reminded me exactly of the one in Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars on 3ds so it still has my interest because of that.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy   Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy EmptySat 20 Feb 2021 - 16:15

That's about right as it's taken me about 3 hours to finish it according to the Switch.

I did enjoy the game a bit more in the second part of the demo. You get to explore around town and have to help your group make a pivotal decision. Each member of the roster has an opinion (for, against, undecided) and you can try to sway your party through dialogue and evidence you find in town.

I was pretty into this part when I tried it but the problem was that there wasn't much to explore and I ended up convincing everybody to see things the same way as me. And that's just... a bit of a bummer because it devalues the importance of the section. It's not about talking to the right members of the party, convincing the swing voters, or anything like that. As in Fire Emblem, you can bind everyone to your will, which I always find disappointing in a game that's meant to have strongly defined characters.

I'm not saying the player shouldn't have agency over the overall decisions, but I think that stuff could have been handled better. But they've still got a year+ to develop it and this is just one part of the game so we shall see!

The second battle I got to control was alright and the ai is smart enough to punish you for playing poorly. But the problem is that there's no timer, so there's no incentive to take risks and you're better off just turtling up and playing it safe. This is what worries me about the game because for all the units you have access to, it feels like there's one way to approach each battle. Something like Gloomhaven is just much more interesting from a tactics point of view - because the battles are so much more fluid, you have a time limit, there's a significant push your luck element, and it's co-op.

I still think this is going to be a pretty good game, but since I've got into board games in addition to having played a bunch of older tactics games, I don't think this is going to be the worldie I thought it could have been from its direct footage.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy   Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy EmptyFri 19 Mar 2021 - 16:46

I rattled through the demo in a few hours and quite enjoyed what I played! From a gameplay perspective, it's not doing anything world-beating - as Muss alluded to, there are other SRPGs out there that have delivered a more engaging combat system. It was perfectly competent though and scratched that Fire Emblem/FFT itch nicely.

I found the decision making aspect to be much more intriguing for the full release. It was a bit disappointing seeing I managed to sway everyone to my side with little effort, but I hope the full release has some trickier debate sections that could go wrongly if you don't convince people in the right order or something along those lines. There's real potential there.

Oh, and it's a stunner visually, natch. Definitely one to keep a very close eye on.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy   Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy EmptySat 12 Feb 2022 - 11:39

Anyone trying the new demo or as it is rather close or just waiting for the actual game, like myself.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy   Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy EmptySat 12 Feb 2022 - 12:53

I don't think I'll have time to tuck into the demo considering the release schedule coming up! It sounds like a really generous demo though - 3 chapters is probably a fair few hours of content there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy   Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy EmptySun 13 Feb 2022 - 2:29

If I start hearing the right people rave about this and I get tempted to buy it, I'll dowbnload the demo and play through that before I splash out. I don't play many of these kinds of games, so I really could go either way . . .
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy   Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy EmptySat 5 Mar 2022 - 17:47

I've now got the game which I started last night, and I'm on chapter 3 part 2, basically same as demo.

This is about three hours in, where I've had two fights, made one big choice and had a lot of exposition.

However, it's all been very good and looks great (need to try on OLED), think this might be a must-play on Switch for any RPG fan. It even has a very easy mode for Balla Very Happy
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy   Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy EmptyFri 11 Mar 2022 - 14:11

Double Post

I did play a bit on the OLED it looks grand, just with so much exposition, I played on the TV most of the game as it's not like playing Mario Kart where I can have a podcast on & listen to that as I need to listen to what's going on in the world of Norzelia.

My playthrough:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy   Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy Empty

Back to top Go down

Triangle Strategy - The Artist Formally Known as Project Triangle Strategy
Page 1 of 1