We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)

Go down 
+8
Muss
masofdas
Buskalilly
Rum
Jimbob
The Cappuccino Kid
gjones
Balladeer
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 5 EmptyTue 20 Jul 2021 - 18:52

Yeah, that's why I want them to go in a completely different direction than they have before & I think most would agree that an experimental Nintendo is the best Nintendo.

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 5 EmptyWed 21 Jul 2021 - 19:41

I... don't know if I'm one of those most. Shifty I tend to be fondest of the second iteration, the refinement. Odyssey (i.e. SM64 2), TTYD, Twilight Princess, ALBW - even SMG2. That's not to say I don't like Nintendo's madder moments, but it tends to be the second version that really grabs me. By this logic BotW2 should make my brain explode from sheer delight.

The_Jaster wrote:
Do we really need to be encouraging mas to mention his opinion again on BotW? Laughing

Fair, but he's gone from wrong to understandably wrong!
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 5 EmptySun 8 Aug 2021 - 13:27

Ever with its finger on the pulse of GNamer chat, What's Next? brings you...

What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 5 Maxresdefault

...Uncharted! One of Sony's flagship franchises, and arguably the franchise that defined the company's preference for big-budget cinematic action games, it's been five years since the last new Uncharted game and four since the last release in the series. Surely Naughty Dog is hard at work on the next entry for PS5, but what would you like to see in it? Do you want more of the same? Wholesale gameplay changes? A new protagonist? Something else? Let us know!

Last 5 games:

I know nothing about the series other than its (very much not lost) legacy, so it's straight over to you!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 5 EmptySun 8 Aug 2021 - 17:24

I doubt Naughty Dog themselves will do a new one, it be one of new teams which considering the IP and how Uncharted 4 ended a reboot would make the most sense with more of the same really, especially what was learnt with four along with how God of War was rebooted.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 5 EmptySun 8 Aug 2021 - 17:50

Uncharted 5 could happen, but these are big expensive productions and I'd like to see Naughty Dog try something new. A match-3 puzzler perhaps? Something that's actually uncharted territory.

I wouldn't say no to an LA Noire-style detective game though. They can make it look beautiful and have interesting characters, and it wouldn't need particularly deep gameplay mechanics.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 5 EmptySun 8 Aug 2021 - 18:00

Think ND's main game is going to be Sci Fi but they've got a few teams now that one also doing Factions and the other The Last of Us Remake.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 5 EmptySun 8 Aug 2021 - 19:43

I don't know what they could do that would completely be different. I'd personally prefer it to the Last of Us because at least something not fucking miserable would happen. Story-wise though, there was sort of an "end" in 4. But could they do a prequel? Or go forward in time with his daughter?
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 5 EmptyMon 23 Aug 2021 - 12:34

Well that one died on its bottom.  I'm no good at choosing Nontendo franchises to talk about (last time the entire topic got sniped by the Elden Ring reveal) so I'm only going to be doing those when I get suggestions in future.  On we go...

What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 5 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2FsI_caSQRNhk%2Fmaxresdefault

Yoinks, it's Yoshi!  A dinosaur who's had mixed fortunes in the recent past, but seems to have settled down into a steady stream of 7/10s.  Is that enough?  Should the next game be in the same vein, Yoshi's Dried-Pasta World?  Alternatively, what new directions should Yoshi's next game go in?  3D games?  Yoshi's Safari remake?

Last 5 games:

My thoughts:

Over to you!
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 5 EmptyTue 24 Aug 2021 - 22:08

I agree with those easy fixes you mentioned. Arzest haven’t made a Yoshi game since 2014 but the point still stands, it’s time to give the games to someone different from Good-Feel. They made the last two games, as well as a couple of Wario and Kirby platformers on the Wii. Yoshi’s Wooley World felt too similar to Kirby’s Epic Yarn, and Yoshi’s Crafted World just felt like a dumber version of Yoshi’s Wooley World. Looking back, I definitely overrated Crafted World, it’s quite mundane next to all the other platformers and it’s maybe the most forgettable first-party Nintendo Switch game yet.

The soundtrack for Yoshi’s New Island isn’t good at all, but the one for Yoshi’s Crafted World might somehow be worse. Think how good the music is in the first Yoshi’s Island and in Yoshi’s Story, it’s amazing how it’s gone to this. Time and time again I’ve seen that a good soundtrack elevates a whole game. Yoshi Touch & Go is a great example of that. For future Yoshi games, a different composer is a must.

I hope What’s Next for Yoshi is a game that isn’t just a tribute to Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island on the SNES. As good as a couple of them are, I think all those Last 5 Games that are listed in Balladeer’s post imitate the SNES game too closely. Please do something different! The Mario games kept reinventing themselves as you can see with 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, 3D Land and Odyssey…imagine if all those were just a repeat of Super Mario Bros. on the NES. That’s basically what it’s felt like with the Yoshi series since 2006.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 5 EmptyWed 25 Aug 2021 - 21:27

I did know it had moved away from Arzest... but it needs to stay there. Mad At this point though you might well be onto something. Good Feel's utterly failed to make lightning strike in its time with the series.

I get that my suggestions were a bit boring. I'd love to see a good 2D Yoshi game... but I'd love to see Yoshi do something new more. It's clear that nobody's willing to give the dino the budget to make a good 3D adventure though. Aww! (Insert unfunny tax fraud joke here.)
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 5 EmptyFri 3 Sep 2021 - 21:10

Sorry about this, don't know how to comment on this one. I'm just a bit *shrug* with Yoshi. It's not quite Mario - Yoshi's Island might still be the best, but take away the screaming baby aspect and it could just be a Mario game. Which I'd rather have.

(and also trying to work out whether a topic idea I had just conflicts with this one anyway)
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 5 EmptySat 4 Sep 2021 - 12:33

I'm in the same boat as Jimbob - Yoshi games do nothing for me. They rely on an art style or gimmick (ie. wool, paper, crayons) to mask a lack of innovation. Beautiful games, but the 7/10 mantra is spot on. It still feels like leftovers from the Wii era when Nintendo was churning out 2D platformers - at least with Kirby Nintendo have experimented more, but Yoshi seems to be stuck in a rut.

Wario started as a Mario sequel and then branched off into WarioWare where both his character and identity were able to blossom. Yoshi needs something like that.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 5 EmptySun 5 Sep 2021 - 6:57

I'm with Jimmers and Jonesy, I'm afraid. I liked Yoshi's Island I guess, it certainly looks and sounds great, and I can see the value in a slow-paced platformer with lots of collectibles for kids or folks who don't play many games.

For me, I like Yoshi best when he's a dinosaur for Mario to ride. Lean hard into that, give me a big gnarly t-rex that chomps goombas on command.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 5 EmptySun 5 Sep 2021 - 13:41

Not sure if it was here or a different thread, but I said about getting someone like Wayforward to Remake/Remaster Yoshi Island
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 5 EmptyMon 6 Sep 2021 - 11:20

A game where Yoshi has to rescue his unborn brethren from an evil egg stealing Billy Hatcher
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 5 EmptyMon 6 Sep 2021 - 20:55

Jimbob wrote:
Sorry about this, don't know how to comment on this one. I'm just a bit *shrug* with Yoshi. It's not quite Mario - Yoshi's Island might still be the best, but take away the screaming baby aspect and it could just be a Mario game. Which I'd rather have.

gjones wrote:
I'm in the same boat as Jimbob - Yoshi games do nothing for me. They rely on an art style or gimmick (ie. wool, paper, crayons) to mask a lack of innovation. Beautiful games, but the 7/10 mantra is spot on. It still feels like leftovers from the Wii era when Nintendo was churning out 2D platformers - at least with Kirby Nintendo have experimented more, but Yoshi seems to be stuck in a rut.

Buskalilly wrote:
I'm with Jimmers and Jonesy, I'm afraid. I liked Yoshi's Island I guess, it certainly looks and sounds great, and I can see the value in a slow-paced platformer with lots of collectibles for kids or folks who don't play many games.

I absolutely understand all this. To be honest I'm mostly with y'all: despite a few smiles raised by Crafted World, Yoshi's Island is the only one I've really liked. (Story was cute but I was too young to appreciate it or decry it at the time.) It's noticeable that my two suggestions were basically ways to stop Yoshi from feeling like Yoshi currently does. I think Yoshi does have his own identity these days, but it's a bad one and it needs fixing. Anyway, this looked almost dead so I'm still glad y'all commented, even if it was just to shrug.

masofdas wrote:
Not sure if it was here or a different thread, but I said about getting someone like Wayforward to Remake/Remaster Yoshi Island

This might be the only way to get a good Yoshi game that's actually feasible.

OrangeRakoon wrote:
A game where Yoshi has to rescue his unborn brethren from an evil egg stealing Billy Hatcher

Yoshi Scramble! Wait no.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 5 EmptyFri 17 Sep 2021 - 21:16

Okay, bugger it, let's try and drum up a bit of excitement.  BIG WEEK TIME.

What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 5 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic2.thegamerimages.com%2Fwordpress%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2020%2F01%2Fodyssey-featured-1

We've had 2D Mario, now it's time for 3D Mario.  This one's a bit different from the last one, natch - 3D Mario hasn't exactly had a drop-off in quality lately.  However, that doesn't mean people won't have different views on what they want to see.  Galaxy 3?  Odyssey 2?  3D Universe?  Or just Galaxy 2 on Switch?  Mario, fittingly, has more ways he can move in than most.  Which one do you want him to take?

Last 5 games:

My thoughts:

Over to you!
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 5 EmptySat 18 Sep 2021 - 23:25

What I genuinely really want is a game I have taken to calling Mario Kart Resort.

Imagine a free-roaming Mario Kart where you can jump out of the vehicle and start platforming around with all the grace and control of Mario Odyssey. Walk over to the Golf course and bam - you can play a round of Mario Golf. Maybe you want to spend your time on the tennis courts instead. But mainly you want to drift around the island in your kart, beating all the koopa kids in races, and jumping out to platform around the set dressing to find some stars.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 5 EmptySun 19 Sep 2021 - 14:28

I think you're on the right lines with Odyssey 2 - or Bowser's Fury is more of an indication of what might arrive; just one big giant open runny-jumpy world, taking the ideas of those last two games and making the world's funnest treasure hunt.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 5 EmptySun 19 Sep 2021 - 21:59

I do wonder if Bowser's Fury was a trial run of a properly open world Mario game. I think there's potential for that to work really well - I'd imagine there would still be distinct zones and such, but I think a Mario game where you traverse the Mushroom Kingdom seamlessly would be a really neat direction to go. You could have a fully explorable Toad Town as a hub of sorts with lots of secrets to discover like Isle Delfino or what have you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 5 EmptyMon 20 Sep 2021 - 21:10

I think I could grow to like what BF was trying to do, I just didn't like BF itself all that much because it still had too much of SM3DW's DNA in it - that and the obvious repetition in missions caused by being a budget side-game rather than a full adventure. Jay's right about the hub, mind. We haven't had a good one of those since Mario Sunshine. (braces self for obvious but wrong Observatory defence)

OrangeRakoon wrote:
What I genuinely really want is a game I have taken to calling Mario Kart Resort.

On the one hand, I've wanted this for ages too. It most spun out of being a fan of Wacky Races and Mario Kart both at around the same age, and thinking why didn't Mario just get out of his kart and do some stuff around the track? On the other hand, you've stuffed up my no-doubt upcoming Mario Kart one of these! Hissy fit
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 5 EmptyMon 20 Sep 2021 - 22:04

Were there any secrets to uncover in the Comet Observatory? Whilst it had nice music and was pretty from a design aspect, there was hee-haw to do in it besides move from level to level.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 5 EmptyTue 21 Sep 2021 - 6:02

This is an interesting one. I think 3D Mario is an odd fit for this thread, for two resons:
  1. They absolutely killed it with the last game in the series, and they've been generally killing it every time. Odyseey is as perfect as a game can get. Before that were 3D Land and 3D World, not quite what some of us harcore fans would want but a great olive branch to players outside of the fold and still fun, inventive slices of Mario platforming goodness. Before that was Galaxy, the pinnacle of human creation, and Galaxy 2, which contained some more Galaxy. Sunshine is the closest thing to a misstep and that's one of my favourite games of all time.
  2. Very few people on this Earth, least of all us, are qualified to talk about this. I'm always astonished at Matthew Castle's ability to put the feeling of playing Mario into words, and I wouldn't even ask him what should come next. 3D Mario is the apex of the output of a team with a phenomenal set of staff, a carefully developed culture, a perfectionism and a whole multinational company which is essentially built around the fundamental principle of letting them do this shit. Nobody comes close.

So basically, want do I want next? I have no idea. And if I did have an idea, and I was right, it would be a very disappointing feeling. Would I be happy with Odyssey 2, Fury Worlds or Super Mario Universe? Of course. But I really want, and what I expect, is the game none of us have thought of and none of us ever could. It will be completely brand new and ingenious, yet it will feel like a simple, obvious next step in retrospect. That sounds impossible, but they've done it repeatedly.

Balladeer wrote:
We haven't had a good one of those since Mario Sunshine.  (braces self for obvious but wrong Observatory defence)

I like the Observatory's vibe, and I think it's exclusion from Galaxy 2 hurt that game, but I'm not gonna sit here and pretend it is on the same level as Peach's castle or Delfino Town.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 5 EmptyTue 21 Sep 2021 - 10:31

Buskalilly wrote:
]Very few people on this Earth, least of all us, are qualified to talk about this.

Nah that's some high-art nonsense, we're perfectly capable of talking about Mario games and they aren't some unassailable quality above and beyond everything else in the medium. You also make out like Mario games are always completely different, unexpected and brilliant, so asking for something like Mario Odyssey 2 wouldn't be right - yet Nintendo themselves put out a direct sequel in Galaxy 2 and practically did the same with 3D World, those would have been easily imaginable. Plus Mario Sunshine isn't very good and Mario Odyssey is far from perfect Winky Face
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 5 EmptyTue 21 Sep 2021 - 11:49

OrangeRakoon wrote:
that's some high-art nonsense
Yes.
Quote :
we're perfectly capable of talking about Mario games
We're capable of talking about them, yes, but it takes an art to truly capture them, which I have seen in very few places, and I would say we're not capable of predicting what should come next.
Quote :
they aren't some unassailable quality above and beyond everything else in the medium
Yes they are.
Quote :
You also make out like Mario games are always completely different, unexpected and brilliant, so asking for something like Mario Odyssey 2 wouldn't be right - yet Nintendo themselves put out a direct sequel in Galaxy 2
I mentioned that, and said I'd be happy with such a sequel, but that's not what's next next.
Quote :
and practically did the same with 3D World
Wow, hugely reductionist.
Quote :
Plus Mario Sunshine isn't very good and Mario Odyssey is far from perfect
What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 5 Amazing-everything-you-just-said-was-wrong-gif-1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)   What's Next?  (for... Smash Bros.) - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

What's Next? (for... Smash Bros.)
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next