We will make an announcement about the successor to GNamer within this fiscal decade.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)

Go down 
+9
The Cappuccino Kid
Muss
gjones
JayMoyles
The_Jaster
Buskalilly
Rum
masofdas
Balladeer
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

content - The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   content - The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 7 EmptyFri 11 Feb 2022 - 17:44

That’s nice to read, thanks for your consideration folks. I don’t really think of myself as “a key driver” or as “everywhere at all angles” though, I think that’s too kind and not really the case. To me, it’s always been folk like Jaster, JayMoyles and Jimbob who keep things going here – the sorts of folks who maybe fly under the radar a bit when it comes to these yearly votes, but clearly contribute a lot more meaningfully than me. It's folks like those guys that are an absolutely essential part of this forum’s personality. I’m just a bit of an outlier, the retro dick, who pops in every few days to have a chat about Vigilante 8, and that mobile phone wallpaper of Homer Simpson smoking a joint that you used to see advertised in Gamesmaster Magazine.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

content - The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   content - The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 7 EmptyFri 11 Feb 2022 - 17:57

You're a worthy winner in our eyes! Thumbs Up!

That's kind of you to bring my name up there Cappa, but I felt like I was barely here last year outside of those flurry of posts I dropped on the forum once a month or so. Laughing

Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   content - The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 7 EmptyFri 11 Feb 2022 - 18:54

This forum really is full of all the good cunts eh?  Smile

-----

JayMoyles wrote:
Congrats to Cappa, well deserved. And cheers for putting this together Balla! Looking forward to the 5 year Switchaversary vote coming up. Smile

gjones wrote:

As far as the games go, I might be the only person here that's never played Monster Hunter so I'll take your word that it is a banger. What would a Top 5 Monster Hunters be? Or a good one for a noob?

It's got to be either Rise or World. Earlier games in the series are great, but I definitely say they pale in comparison to the newest two in the series in regards to accessibility.

Definitely agree with Rise & World being the most accessible not to mention they get you into the actual monster hunting quicker than any of the others.

With that said though my personal top 5 would be:

1. MH4U - I'd say this one actually set up the blue print of how a story can be told in an MH game that World would later benefit from but it still retained that classic MH progression. Also I'm still hoping Capcom get off their arse and remaster/port this to Switch so I can play it with a proper controller.

2. MH tri - The one that started it all for me so I will always have a certain attachment to it, I've seen streams of it recently as well and it still holds up.

3. MH Rise - Some of the most fun ways to play the weapons in the series & the monsters haven't been better to fight than they are here.

4. MH World Iceborne - It's just nice to see MH get the big old AAA treatment & propel the series into a bigger spotlight. Before Rise this was the best moment to moment hunting.

5. MHGU - The styles and hunter arts make this the most OTT MH game, even though I've played this for hundreds of hours I still feel I have unfinished business with it.

(Side note: Ask me on another day & few of these might swap places)
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   content - The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 7 EmptyFri 11 Feb 2022 - 20:32

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
To me, it’s always been folk like Jaster, JayMoyles and Jimbob who keep things going here
Well I don't know if I can agree with myself being on that list, but that's very kind to say. Also we need to rename this as GJamesr.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   content - The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 7 EmptyFri 11 Feb 2022 - 22:39

Jimbob wrote:
The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
To me, it’s always been folk like Jaster, JayMoyles and Jimbob who keep things going here
Well I don't know if I can agree with myself being on that list, but that's very kind to say. Also we need to rename this as GJamesr.

I think we can get that done seeing as one of the James' is an admin. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   content - The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 7 EmptySat 12 Feb 2022 - 11:20

I'll get the Jamesening happening shortly, don't you worry...
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   content - The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 7 EmptySat 12 Feb 2022 - 11:24

Waits for April 1st
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   content - The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 7 EmptySun 13 Feb 2022 - 2:25

Would just like to point out that my full name is Luke Jonathan James Summerhayes.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   content - The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 7 EmptySun 13 Feb 2022 - 12:04

And MINE is Rum James James James James Rapture!
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   content - The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 7 EmptySun 13 Feb 2022 - 13:20

Great work on the thread Balla and a worthy winner again in the form of Cappa, I do find the contributer of the year award really difficult to vote for though because you're all just a bunch of top shaggers.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   content - The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 7 EmptyMon 14 Feb 2022 - 14:03

The_Jaster wrote:
2. MH tri
3. MH Rise

Absolute madman
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   content - The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 7 EmptyMon 14 Feb 2022 - 18:21

The_Jaster wrote:
(Side note: Ask me on another day & few of these might swap places)

Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   content - The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 7 EmptyFri 18 Feb 2022 - 1:21

[quote="gjones"]
Quote :
Xbox Backwards Compatibility - “More games got added that are playable on One or Series with some getting upgrades, this is great for video game preservation.”
I am envious of Xbox owners, with Game Pass and the Backwards Compatibility this would tick off both my need to play old stuff as well as enjoy more relevant titles.
[quote]

I put this as an honourable mention because of MS adding 70+ games to BC for the Xbox One & Series along with some having improvements, sure everything isn't available (MechAssault, Why MS it's your IP) but 695 in total of OG & 360 games is a good number, then looking forward all the Xbox One games (No Kinect games on Series, mind) on the Series systems, and if MS to be believed everything will move over to Series X2 then to X3 etc

At the same time, I put as a dishonourable about a lack of video game preservation, mostly focused at Sony because they were going to close PSN of PSP, PS3 and VITA. This would have meant losing 1000's of games and sure likes of Journey got remastered for PS4 still stuff stuck on those systems.

Now Sony did backtrack, but for how long, as I get it has to shut sometime as PS3 already 15+ years old and that's fine, it is more statements like the one from Nintendo about their closure of the 3DS & Wii U eShop of not offering a way to play the games afterwards.

That's my issue, as on my Series X I can play Panzer Dragoon Orta and will continue to do so, yet Pushmo World will be pretty much totally gone and that's annoying. Said about others as well, like take Capcom, why I can't I get Classic Resident Evil 2 on anything in 2022 part from PS3, VITA (far as I'm aware) unless I go into the retro market and sure PS1 version only £20 but something like Konami's Suikoden 2 is £300.

I just feel more should be done to keep games around, like how books, albums get reprints etc as sure as Jas mentioned hacking 3DS or Wii U elsewhere which shouldn't be a thing, unfortunately it is.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   content - The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 7 EmptyFri 18 Feb 2022 - 13:12

mas wrote:
I just feel more should be done to keep games around, like how books, albums get reprints etc as sure as Jas mentioned hacking 3DS or Wii U elsewhere which shouldn't be a thing, unfortunately it is.

I see it as a necessary evil especially if you are truly for game preservation, because the big companies have proven time and again players can't rely on them to do it so we have to do it ourselves. There's a fine line of course where people do steal brand new releases which I'm obviously against & if it's possible I'd prefer to buy a game on the original hardware.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   content - The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 7 EmptyFri 18 Feb 2022 - 14:14

Game archival is weird because so many modern games involve online components.

With older games, a lot of the stuff on stores like the Switch store is just ROMs. There's really no reason, other than a combination of lawyers and greed, why games like that can't work from generation to generation. From what I understand, and I could well be wrong, it shouldn't be too hard to get a ROM working from console to console.

With things like that, I can't blame people who pirate. If it's not convenient to play an old game, and you can't even buy it on a live system, then what else is there to do.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   content - The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 7 EmptyFri 18 Feb 2022 - 16:37

That's the thing, whether you pay through the nose for a used copy of one of these games, or you use an emulator - Nintendo doesn't get paid either way. People will do what's cheapest. They are their own worst enemy in terms of preservation, although I do understand that Nintendo games, more than any other, are designed around specific hardware.

Does Nintendo link your purchases to your Nintendo account now? Because that was the one thing that always baffled me. I picked up a 360 a few years back and logged in - all my digital purchases from the late 2000s are available to redownload including Outrun Online Arcade which isn't available on the store anymore. Similarly with PlayStation, I have sold a PS4 and bought another years later - and I can redownload what I bought digitally. Are Nintendo digital purchases still linked to hardware?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   content - The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 7 EmptyFri 18 Feb 2022 - 20:07

I wasn't having a go Jas, and is totally understandable if you want to play X game and only means. I'm just saying I'd like to have a legit option to get X game, and we shouldn't have to resort to other means.

Yeah, Switch downloads are tied to account.

Last edited by masofdas on Fri 18 Feb 2022 - 23:32; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   content - The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 7 EmptyFri 18 Feb 2022 - 21:13

Just a quick reminder that there are less than two weeks to go until the Five Years of Switch Votes! We've got two votes in already, although they're only the ten games - I'm looking for honourable mentions (not entire games but anything else worth a mention on Switch) and dishonourable mentions (games very much encouraged) too!
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   content - The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 7 EmptyFri 18 Feb 2022 - 21:14

Oh I totally get what you were saying so it's all good. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   content - The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 7 EmptyFri 18 Feb 2022 - 22:38

The_Jaster wrote:
Oh I totally get what you were saying so it's all good. Thumbs Up!

You've got almost year Jas to get the votes in Smile
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   content - The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 7 EmptyFri 18 Feb 2022 - 22:58

Votes you say? 5 years of Switch? Sounds like too much work. Razz
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   content - The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 7 EmptyFri 18 Feb 2022 - 23:00

That's our Jas everybody!
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   content - The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 7 EmptyFri 18 Feb 2022 - 23:47

content - The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 7 Clerks-kevin
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   content - The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 7 EmptyMon 21 Feb 2022 - 15:33

I don't know whether to count ports, and what counts as a port...
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   content - The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 7 EmptyMon 21 Feb 2022 - 15:36

Believe you can vote for anything, I've not gone for like Final Fantasy IX as not played on Switch for instance but have others that are similar ports, which I have played on Switch.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)   content - The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!) - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

The GNamer Forum Awards 2021 and Five Years of Switch (Thanks For Voting!)
Page 7 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next