Nintendo in encouraging Emio-lation shocker

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I worked it out by myself!

Go down 
+8
beemoh
The Cappuccino Kid
JayMoyles
shanks
The_Jaster
Balladeer
Crumpy Andy
ZeroJones
12 posters
AuthorMessage
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

I worked it out by myself! Empty
PostSubject: I worked it out by myself!   I worked it out by myself! EmptyTue 26 Mar 2013 - 18:38

Last night I was taking Hydroventure: Spin Cycle for a, er, rotate ( Embarrassed ). I was trying to beat the Abandoned Castle level and was quite close to the end. Then my brain went for a holiday; the last hurdle stumped me totally! Onto the Internet I went but could not find any kind of guide for the game.

Then, walking to work this morning, I thought of something I'd not tried. Lo and behold, not only did it work, it got me that level's puzzle piece! Dance

So. The Internet is a terrible temptation when you're stuck on a game; has the thrill of working things out by yourself diminished since you were young? Or did we just rely on guides printed in magazines? What's your take?
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: I worked it out by myself!   I worked it out by myself! EmptyTue 26 Mar 2013 - 19:29

I used to just give up on games if I was stuck like you were so the internet has allowed me to see the end of many more games. Though I do have the odd moment of inspiration I likely won't have again, like in Wario Land 3 when I didn't realise I could butt stomp the platforms to raise and lower them (I also didn't know how to butt stomp which didn't help)
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: I worked it out by myself!   I worked it out by myself! EmptyTue 26 Mar 2013 - 19:36

Guides. Guides all the way. I remember the days of the good old Double Game Guide +, a wonderful thing. I 100%ed Metroid Prime with one of those beauties.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: I worked it out by myself!   I worked it out by myself! EmptyTue 26 Mar 2013 - 23:13

I mostly like to figure it out for myself but if a game has some sort of collectables & I'm missing a few I'll resort to a guide.
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: I worked it out by myself!   I worked it out by myself! EmptyWed 27 Mar 2013 - 1:14

I'll try and figure it out for myself until I get frustrated (which isn't that long) then I'll hit up a guide
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: I worked it out by myself!   I worked it out by myself! EmptyWed 27 Mar 2013 - 7:28

Things like collectibles (I'm looking at you Assassin's Creed) which are just nothing more than artificial game lengtheners get the guide treatment, but apart from that I try to abstain from using a guide at all. Although, like many others have said, that feeling of frustration at not advancing makes it all too easy to hop onto GameFAQs and cheat my way forward.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
The Cappuccino Kid
Mani Mani Statue
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: I worked it out by myself!   I worked it out by myself! EmptyWed 27 Mar 2013 - 11:40

After ploughing through the first two-thirds of The Lost Future on the DS, I decided that I wasn't having as much fun as I should be because I was relying too heavily on online walkthroughs. Thus, I decided to go the last few hours alone. I was quite chuffed to do that, as there was some really tough puzzles near the end of that game.

Most of the time though, I just have to be economical with my time. I'm weighing up revisiting Skyward Sword with the aid of my spoiler-free official guide (£1 in GAME's sale!), as I can't be arsed with the fannying about that I find inevitably comes with a Zelda game. Why play for ten hours if you can get it done in five?
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: I worked it out by myself!   I worked it out by myself! EmptyWed 27 Mar 2013 - 13:18

I'll generally work things out for myself, although if it boils down to too many variables and solving the problem is going to boil down to cycling through every possibility (such as some of the later puzzles in VLR), I'll get a guide.

But for most games today, the guide boils down to "shoot/punch the baddies more" and really there's no point in using one. Nobody gets lost in Call of Duty.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: I worked it out by myself!   I worked it out by myself! EmptyWed 27 Mar 2013 - 22:52

I'm ashamed to say this... before the internet, I'd happily spend hours and hours and hours and hours trying to finish a puzzle. I don't have the time now, so 15 minutes is usually my limit; having the web browser multi-tasking on the Wii U is even more tempting.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: I worked it out by myself!   I worked it out by myself! EmptyThu 28 Mar 2013 - 22:57

Ah yes. I usually like to retain my pride and work things out for myself, but like Phillips if I find being stuck is seriously ruining my enjoyment of the game I'll look for a walkthrough.

I think the last game that made me do that was Virtue's Last Reward, as some of the puzzles in that were seriously cryptic and illogical. Wasn't worth the time and effort I was putting in so a guide I used (well, I scoured the gameFAQs forums).
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: I worked it out by myself!   I worked it out by myself! EmptyThu 28 Mar 2013 - 23:36

Jimbob wrote:
having the web browser multi-tasking on the Wii U is even more tempting.
God yes. That's making me even worse than I was before.

shanks wrote:
I'll try and figure it out for myself until I get frustrated (which isn't that long) then I'll hit up a guide

This is more or less my approach. As a nipper I rarely actually finished games, I'm afraid to say.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I worked it out by myself!   I worked it out by myself! EmptyFri 29 Mar 2013 - 18:34

I'm terrible when it comes to using guides. I'll try everything I can think of, to the point of being almost driven to setting the game down through frustration, before eventually giving in and looking up the solution. I'll then beat myself up for being too dim to work out the solution. Sad
Back to top Go down
http://messedupcables.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I worked it out by myself!   I worked it out by myself! Empty

Back to top Go down

I worked it out by myself!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GNamer Forum :: Gaming Miscellaneous :: General Gaming Discussions-
Jump to: