We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?

Go down 
+25
kerr9000
Buskalilly
Crumpy Andy
Spiralcannon2-CW
EofGizmo
ssmmdd
The Cappuccino Kid
Fastpie
gjones
oldschool
Treesmurf
Cube
Jimbob
mandlecreed
Dusty Knackers
ZeroJones
fronkhead
JayMoyles
Silver light
Balladeer
Vidofnir
The_Jaster
masofdas
beemoh
Admin
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 21 ... 28  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 14 EmptySun 25 Feb 2018, 21:52

I've said many a time the PSP is a fantastic system and it's library is really cheap compared to other systems, I can only see it going up in price.

Also Matthew Castle for Balla
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 14 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 14 EmptyMon 26 Feb 2018, 08:04

masofdas wrote:
Sure they're but the controls and how SotC plays is on purpose as it's meant to make you feel like you're tackling a Colossi, like I said to Athrun if it controlled / played like an Uncharted or any other 3rd person adventure game then it would lose what it is.

If that was the intention I personally don't think they've nailed it all to well then.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 14 EmptyMon 26 Feb 2018, 08:47

That's how I view the game, it's a struggle because it would be a struggle to take down the Colossi.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 14 EmptyMon 26 Feb 2018, 10:02

I might agree with you, if it weren't for the fact that both Ico and The Last Guardian control as badly if not worse.
I agree that neither SotC nor literally any other game should control as automatically as Uncharted, but there's a way to make climbing challenging and tactile while also having decent controls.

(For what it's worth, I found SotC a little wonky but it never really bothered me. I actually love that game to bits!)
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 14 EmptyMon 26 Feb 2018, 10:19

I've not played ICO for 16 years, so can't really comment but would agree The Last Guardian does have bad controls but I can't see the issue's with this remake of SotC, if we were talking about the original then sure maybe.

Controls like Uncharted do have a place in some games that want to go for a cinematic adventure but SotC isn't that at all.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 14 EmptyMon 26 Feb 2018, 15:09

mas wrote:
Controls like Uncharted do have a place in some games that want to go for a cinematic adventure but SotC isn't that at all.

Really? I'd say that it's cinematic nature is actually one of it's strongest points and I thought it'd be a top reason of why you like it so much since you tend to prefer story over gameplay.

I also do love the way it frames the action when you are riding the horse for example.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 14 EmptyMon 26 Feb 2018, 18:14

It is but in a different way, you'd compare Uncharted to Indiana Jones where SotC would be something up for Cinematography at the Oscars.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 14 EmptyTue 27 Feb 2018, 12:03

I made a visit to Super Bario in Glasgow the other day:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/superbario/super-bario-arcade-bar-glasgow-uk

It's been open for over a year, but I'd never had the chance to go. Anyway, for Glasgow's first arcade pub, I thought it was all right. It's quite small, so they couldn't have much out, and unfortunately Crazy Taxi, Star Wars Trilogy Arcade and Xmen Vs Street Fighter were all broken. Still, I had a bash on SEGA Rally, House of the Dead, Confidential Mission, Michael Jackson's Moonwalker, Street Fighter III, Metal Slug 3, Pac Man and some Neo Geo football games. Some were free to play, but the actual units were a quid for two credits. The beers they had were decent-ish too. All in all, it was a decent way to spend a couple of hours, and I'll check back soon. 👍
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 14 EmptyFri 09 Mar 2018, 23:40

Played some Fire Emblem Path of Radiance yesterday and it seemed pretty great, I was only really playing as I picked up anew RGB cable for the Cube. I've done some more research as an HDMI converter has just come out for the Cube which is about $100 which is a tad expensive but still half the price of the official component cable.

Which came up with a vid showing those two along with Wii2HDMI which is only a tenner (I just bought one for PS2 as this seemed the best option for how much I will use the PS2) and the one I've bought which is the hyperkin Wii HDMI which cost me £23 from the US of A.

It's sort of the same as the Wii2HDMI but it has its own processor box much like this HMDI converter that's just come out for Cube, it's not quite as good but is $80 less for very close and from the videos looks dam good, just now I'll be playing my Cube games on my Wii.

Also played some Persona 4 on PS2 but forgot to save Duh!
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 14 EmptySun 11 Mar 2018, 22:11

Path of Radiance is cracking. I'd love to see an Echoes of Tellius or something like that down the line with that game. How far into it are you Mas?
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 14 EmptyMon 12 Mar 2018, 22:20

Picked up my first PSP game:

Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 14 220px-Crazy_Taxi_-_Fare_Wars_Coverart

This is both Crazy Taxi and Crazy Taxi 2, the latter a game I have really fond memories of from the Dreamcast days. Not played it in a long time, but I'm aiming to get a PSP in the next couple of weeks but want one that's in top condition. Pulled a list together of about 20 games that are essentially a mix of SEGA games, PS2 semi-ports and stuff I didn't even know existed (Symphony of the Night, a version of Soul Calibur IV...).
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 14 EmptyMon 12 Mar 2018, 22:32

I'm on about Chapter 4 or 5 in Fire Emblem, plan to continue when HDMI adapter comes.

PSP also had ports the other way around to keep the PS2 going when it became a cheap entry system for kids. I wrote https://gintendo-namer.squarespace.com/articles/2015/3/2/retro-gaming-a-choice-for-now that back in 2015 as I really do think PSP is a great cheap collectable system due to the likes of SOTN being on it and a fraction of the PS1 version.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 14 EmptyThu 29 Mar 2018, 23:13

There’s a chance I’ll be posting in this thread quite a bit in the near future. Cool At the moment my SNES Mini project is Super Mario World. Having not played it seriously in about ten years, I’d forgotten how awesome it is. Everything is just smooth and being able to take Yoshi between levels is brilliant - something we need in the next 2D Mario game. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 14 EmptyTue 10 Apr 2018, 16:16

I started Metroid Prime yesterday, I've only done the first boss and up-to a save point when on the planet. I'm going to continue to play it as EofGiz, a mate of his and me are doing this game a month book club type thing then will do a cast afterwards, if it wasn't for that, I'm not sure I would continue on as I just can't wrap my head around the control scheme.

I'm guessing in Prime 3 using the Wiimote you could look around for what would be a second stick?

Last edited by masofdas on Tue 10 Apr 2018, 18:50; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 14 EmptyTue 10 Apr 2018, 18:14

It's all about that lock-on in Metroid Prime. I do think the Wiimote controls made the series much better, but the original is still a great game.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 14 EmptyTue 10 Apr 2018, 18:51

It's not that it's the general walking around and wanting to look at things, the one stick movement feels wrong and something from early FPS not a 6th gen game.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 14 EmptyTue 10 Apr 2018, 23:49

mas is playing a retro Retro game! Arf. Winky Face I only played Prime as part of the trilogy, I’m afraid.

My SNES Mini adventures continue. I’m currently mixing it up with Donkey Kong Country (nearly as good as I remember, amazingly), Kirby Super Star (disjointed), Yoshi’s Island (generous and beautiful, in its way) and, as of today, F-Zero (exhilarating, knife-edge stuff that makes me wonder why we haven’t had a new’un in a while).
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 14 EmptyWed 11 Apr 2018, 00:40

masofdas wrote:
It's not that it's the general walking around and wanting to look at things, the one stick movement feels wrong and something from early FPS not a 6th gen game.

Treating or expecting it to be like a normal FPS is probably where you're going wrong, many places back at launch called it "first person adventure" for a reason.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 14 EmptyWed 11 Apr 2018, 00:45

Sure and I'm someone that will argue all day long that Bioshock isn't a FPS but still things to be taken from the genre if you're going to be in first person and being able to look around is the biggest one.

Just going forwards, backwards, left and right with basically Keaton's Batman unable to move your head is just dumb to me.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 14 EmptyWed 11 Apr 2018, 11:07

Double Post

I had a think last night of anything better than my Bioshock example and a few did come to mind Skyrim as Western-RPG which most will play in First Person, The Witness a Puzzle game, Gone Home a Walking Sim and The Unfinished Swan a Art game none of these are a FPS and sure you shoot paint in TUS and Arrows or Magic in Skyrim but I don't know how that's much different then Samus shooting from actual weapon.

With all those you can control the camera and that's my issue with Prime, lack of camera control.

Last edited by masofdas on Wed 11 Apr 2018, 12:35; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 14 EmptyWed 11 Apr 2018, 12:33

Is it really affecting how you can play the game though? I really am trying to understand how this is an issue because precise aiming with a right stick is not needed in combat given as it's about locking on with L and using the strafing to move around your enemies. When there is none about and you have to look around your environment there is free look by holding the R button but as others have said if it's still bugging you the wii version might be better for you.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 14 EmptyWed 11 Apr 2018, 19:22

Blimey, a retro game I can talk about - I actually picked up MP1 recently! At an event at the Science Museum, no less. And yes, I can't say I got used to the controls in the five or so minutes I played it for. That's because it was five or so minutes. Give me a bit of time (which the game richly deserves) and I'd have got used to that lock-on, I'm sure of it.

It still looks good, and even in a crowded hall, the ambience was still top-notch fifteen or so years later. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/ Online
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 14 EmptyWed 11 Apr 2018, 21:17

The Wii version costs a fortune, so that's out.

How look would you say it takes to do the first boss and get to a save point on the planet though, Balla? It's more than five minutes. I just feel my movement and vision is being hampered.

It's early in the game where you have to use the hock, to me you should just look up but you have to lock on which is fine for enemies but general traverse it's very strange.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 14 EmptyWed 11 Apr 2018, 21:25

Mmm...  Half an hour, maybe an hour?  Out of thirty-forty?  Still not enough to say you've given it a chance.  That said, from tone of posts, I get the impression you've already set out your stall. Neutral

I definitely had it easier than most, not having played many FPSes, but it's not like it's KIU controls or SF0 controls or something inherently fiddly.  Just different.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/ Online
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 14 EmptyWed 11 Apr 2018, 21:52

We talking about a different game as far as I can find it's 15 hours at the max. I'm going to try playing more for EofGiz and his podcast but if it wasn't for him it be going on the shelf.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing? - Page 14 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?
Page 14 of 28Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 21 ... 28  Next