Detective Pikachu looks like a 10/10 banger and we'll hear nothing to the contrary.

HomeHome  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16
AuthorMessage
masofdas
Disciple of Koizumi

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Mon 15 Oct 2018 - 15:13

It's a utter classic, and I did read that as Dark Cloud which I would have said skip but Chronicle due to art-style holds up.

Dark Cloud 3 is like the last big surprise Sony could drop.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
OrangeRakoon
Toad

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Wed 17 Oct 2018 - 12:29

Dark Chronicle is fantastic, one of my favourite RPGs of all time. Definitely stick with it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.orkn.uk
masofdas
Disciple of Koizumi

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Wed 7 Nov 2018 - 17:05

Might only be for Jay this one as after watching Castlevania and then playing Bloodstained CoM, I fancy playing another Castlevania.

Now I could buy Requiem but #FucKonami, I'm going to try & get Lord of Shadows on Xbox 360 used (again) with it being BC but just wondering as someone who didn't play the GBA or DS much

If they're any I should maybe check out from those or any other console that isn't SOTN as that's the obvious answer would be great.

Edit
Just remembered Super Castlevania IV is on the SNES Mini and I could play Rondo on my PSP, Rebirth on WiiWare but wait to see what you guys say
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
JayMoyles
Calamity Forumite

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Wed 7 Nov 2018 - 23:09

Yeah, the best Castlevanias outside of SotN are on GBA/DS, so it's well worth trying to dig a few out. They're all in the SotN Metroidvania style, just so you know.

Aria/Dawn of Sorrow are heralded as two of the best that the series has to offer. It's got a pretty interesting story for a Castlevania game - it's set in the future, for one, and there's a couple of neat twists in the storyline across the two games. The gameplay resolves around gathering souls from enemies which you equip for new abilities and attacks. It's a pretty neat system.

Portrait of Ruin is my personal favourite. It ditches the souls system for having two playable characters - one is a classic vampire hunter like the Belmonts, another is a mage who uses spells for her attacks. It makes for some fun gameplay switching between the two and using their abilities when needed. The castle is a treat to explore with it acting as hub world for smaller areas in which you tackle bosses and advance the plot. It's dead fun.

One thing to add is that PoR and DoS - not sure about AoS - both have a couple of bonus modes where you play as different characters which totally remixes the game, so you'll get a lot of mileage out of them. I think AoS is on Wii U, but you'll need to pick up a DS cart for the other two.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
The Cappuccino Kid
Sheegoth

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Thu 8 Nov 2018 - 7:08

I'd trust Jay on that, he knows his onions. All I can add is that Super Castlevania IV on your SNES Mini is an absolutely brilliant playthrough, its definitely worth a couple of hours of anybody's time. And, though it's not quite as good, you'd do well to find a way of playing Castlevania: The New Generation on the Mega Drive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
masofdas
Disciple of Koizumi

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Thu 8 Nov 2018 - 10:52

Yeah might be worth me looking at the WiiU VC as just looked and Aria is 50, both Portrait and Dawn are 25 which isn't that bad of a price but still more than I would like for DS games.

I once owned New Generation, now I see how much that costs also good to hear SCIV holds up as watched some videos and it just looked like brown.

I don't know how you got on with your Final Fantasy games Jay but I might do similar but with Castlevania.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
gjones
Bandana Waddle Dee

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Fri 9 Nov 2018 - 2:01

I finally managed to get Typing of the Dead: Overkill working on my laptop and I didn't realise just how hilarious this game is. So much fun - the only negative being that typing on a laptop isn't quite as good as a standard keyboard. The Football Manager DLC just adds to the pure zaniness of it all. Typing "flat back four" or "excessive salary demands" whilst a zombie attacks you is incredible.

On a SEGA-related note, I also gave Yakuza Kiwami a bash on PS4 - wow. Just, wow. It's basically the perfect Grant game. Stupid humour, manic beat 'em up action, hilarious dialogue, enough of a Shenmue influence yet isn't clunky or corny. Looking forward to sinking my teeth in to this series.

Couple of gems right there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
masofdas
Disciple of Koizumi

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Fri 9 Nov 2018 - 9:08

That's one game I should get for my Dreamcast and another I should give a go but I didn't like Zero.

Last edited by masofdas on Mon 12 Nov 2018 - 13:30; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Jimbob
Dry Metal Baby Princess

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   Sun 11 Nov 2018 - 13:46

I've "purchased" Kiwami on the free PSN thing, but haven't downloaded it yet. Very tempted! Not enough time though - I can't be a Yakuza man and a Robot Horse Killing lady at the same time...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jimbobsonofriber.tumblr.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?   

Back to top Go down

Last Retro Game You Played? What Retro Game Are You Currently Playing?
Page 16 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16