We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge

Go down 
+4
Gwyn400
JayMoyles
Crumpy Andy
Vidofnir
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Vidofnir
Flock Step Bird
Vidofnir

The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge Empty
PostSubject: The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge   The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge EmptySat 27 Apr 2013 - 19:03

Greetings forumites and welcome to my second challenge, of which will be based upon the series 'Fire Emblem'.

The Gnamer Nuzlocke challenge has been an enjoyable experience of which I'm sure most of the participants would concur, I hope it continues to be as such, however with the release of 'Fire Emblem: Awakening' I had the idea that we could have a similar competition based upon a popular series, Fire emblem fits the bill with its emotional bonding between characters and the impending threat of their permanent death.

I hope that this challenge can inspire more people to take part and write down stories of both their inspired victories and flawed defeats, which have been of a great quality over on the Nuzlocke challenge.

Since we are at a founding stage of this idea, I would like some discussion on what rules should be applied to make this both challenging and accessible, as well as the criteria on which each contestant will be judged upon.

EDIT: just noticed that I have put this in the 3DS section, hope this isn't a problem!

Green for rules/criteria/games that are completely confirmed
Orange for rules/criteria/games under discussion

Eligible Games:
  • Awakening (3DS)
    Path of Radiance (GC)
    Sacred Stones (GBA
    Fire Emblem (GBA)
    Radiant Dawn (Wii)
    Shadow Dragon (DS)

Rules:
  • Must be played on Hard mode (And classic if on Awakening) with the exception of Radiant Dawn, which can be played on Normal
    No use of Arenas
    If you get a 'Game Over' that is the end of your run. No loading.
    No 'Forge' weapons
    Starting super unit cannot attack excluding Sothe. (Titania, Seth, Marcus, etc)
    Only one weapon proficiency per unit

Assessment Criteria:
  • Number of Deaths
    Number of chapters completed
    Number of S rank supports
    Game completion
    Amount of Gold

So yeah, I hope this generates some anticipation and maintains a level of popularity. Please do identify other rules and criteria that would benefit this challenge, while also debating the current outline of rules I have thought up myself.

I eagerly await your responses, hopefully we can get this preliminary stage sorted soon then ill devise some tables to keep track of scores!

Last edited by Vidofnir on Mon 29 Apr 2013 - 20:47; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge   The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge EmptySat 27 Apr 2013 - 19:11

Radiant Dawn on Hard O_O You are joking right? You might almost survive the tutorial XD I might give it a shot with Awakening when I eventually get it but I only just played Path of Radiance.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge   The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge EmptySat 27 Apr 2013 - 19:23

Hoo boy. I'm definitely for this, but I have never beaten a Fire Emblem game on Hard difficulty. I'm not even sure if I've reached the half way point of any Fire Emblem game on Hard!

As to the rules up for discussion, I think Hard mode is a must for a challenge run in Fire Emblem. Intense would be for the truly suicidal, I wouldn't do it. I don't see why Radiant Dawn or any of the non-EU releases wouldn't be eligible either. Don't forget Shadow Dragon too, as meh as it may be. Obviously Arenas should be banned, I could easily Arena abuse my way to victory if they were in.

I think Journeyman units should be allowed. It'd be a real risk/reward scenario - do you risk babying up a crappy unit to become something awesome, or do you roll with units that can take a couple of hits? I think it's like using a Magikarp in a Pokemon game. Yes, you'll end up with something amazing if you battle through, but you run the risk of losing stronger units/Pokemon in protecting that beginner. What do you think?
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Vidofnir
Flock Step Bird
Vidofnir

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge   The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge EmptySun 28 Apr 2013 - 16:05

andyman949 wrote:
Radiant Dawn on Hard O_O You are joking right? You might almost survive the tutorial XD I might give it a shot with Awakening when I eventually get it but I only just played Path of Radiance.

Yeah I agree completely, I guess for Radiant Dawn we opt for Normal?

Also from Jay's point's, I think that Hard mode is now a definite yes apart from the aforementioned Radiant dawn. I had completely forgotten about Shadow Dragon, it shall be added to the list. I'm not as completely sure with journeyman units, partly because I haven't gauged how hard they are to raise on hard difficulty, as well as how powerful they become upon promotion. If anyone else has any thoughts about them ill come up with a definitive answer.

Outside EU releases should be included I agree, however I was thinking along the lines of inter competition, limiting the games to the EU releases would see more people playing the same game in the series. Its up to you guys though.

As for rules, im not sure if we need many since the games on hard are a challenge in themselves, ill throw down some ideas off the top of my head and see what people think.

Ideas:

Rules:
Unit cap per map.
No use of starter super unit. (Seth, Titania, Marcus, etc) excluding Sothe.
Only one weapon/spell type per unit.

Criteria:
Gold upon completion/death

Let me know what you think and of any other inspired ideas you can think up.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge   The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge EmptySun 28 Apr 2013 - 19:20

I think having a unit cap beyond what the game already gives you would make this a little too tricky to do. Agreed with the non-use of the super unit - although, I'm assuming it's perfectly okay to employ them as a wall (eg. taking their weapons off them) early on when you're forced to use them. The restriction of one weapon/spell type seems good to me as well.

The amount of gold is a good further indicator too, I like it.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge   The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge EmptySun 28 Apr 2013 - 19:35

Sweet, I never spend my gold anyway Dance Wouldn't Paladin's be kind of lost without a second weapon type. Also Rhys (who ranked my 6th best killer last time) would be sad without Light magic and staffs Sad Though I guess that's what makes it a challenge Laughing
Back to top Go down
Gwyn400
FMK Tagline
Gwyn400

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge   The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge EmptySun 28 Apr 2013 - 19:42

This might finally give me an excuse to play Sacred Stones on my 3DS Laughing
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge   The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge EmptySun 28 Apr 2013 - 20:29

Just ordered FEA today think I may attempt this but only after I do a normal play through, natch.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge   The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge EmptySun 28 Apr 2013 - 20:33

Vidofnir wrote:

Outside EU releases should be included I agree, however I was thinking along the lines of inter competition, limiting the games to the EU releases would see more people playing the same game in the series. Its up to you guys though.

I reckon this is fair as well. Non-EU releases are a little harder to procure.

I'd probably start with Sacred Stones. Smile
Back to top Go down
Vidofnir
Flock Step Bird
Vidofnir

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge   The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge EmptyMon 29 Apr 2013 - 20:50

I think the rules look fine now. The challenge allows for journeyman units to be used because of the risk/reward. Ill add the tables after our first few posts.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge   The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge EmptyTue 30 Apr 2013 - 13:02

Excellent. Probably won't be able to make a start on this until after exams, but I'll be keeping a close watch on everyone's progress. Smile
Back to top Go down
Vidofnir
Flock Step Bird
Vidofnir

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge   The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge EmptyThu 2 May 2013 - 19:02

I think ill make a start tomorrow, Sacred stones would probably be the safest choice to start, however I think ill opt for 'Fire emblem' on the GBA.
Back to top Go down
awesomedude
Stability Update
awesomedude

PostSubject: The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge   The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge EmptyThu 2 May 2013 - 19:50

Sunny I'm gonna get that game for my free game. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://socialgamers.forumotion.co.uk/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge   The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge EmptyThu 2 May 2013 - 23:46

Vidofnir wrote:
I think ill make a start tomorrow, Sacred stones would probably be the safest choice to start, however I think ill opt for 'Fire emblem' on the GBA.

Yeah, I was thinking one of the GBA ones to begin with. They are the easiest two in the series, after all.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge   The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge EmptyFri 31 May 2013 - 15:20

I just went to do it on Radiant Dawn. I died on the first mission Hissy fit
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge   The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge EmptyFri 31 May 2013 - 21:14

I've not finished awakening yet on noob mode, but would start it again once I've done it. So let me get this straight i play on hard, characters die and i can only use standard weapons (not forged), i guess i can level up and use master seals, and only main story and side missions (so not random risen & dlc).
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge   The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge EmptyMon 3 Jun 2013 - 10:56

The single weapon proficiency per unit rule just means units with one or two weapon options can only use one of them, and you can't re-class in to a unit that doesn't use your original chosen weapon class, correct? And I assume since Awakening doesn't have an Arena the Reeking Boxes are off limits instead.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge   The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge EmptyTue 4 Jun 2013 - 9:45

Finished game last night, so now going to start this challenge i don't reckon i will get far.
Back to top Go down
Vidofnir
Flock Step Bird
Vidofnir

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge   The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge EmptyMon 10 Jun 2013 - 0:40

I've just noticed that Awakening clashes with some of the rules. Its easy to grind through risen spawns and class changing is now more accessible, we will have to think up of a way to incorporate this hmmm.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge   The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge EmptyMon 10 Jun 2013 - 7:36

How about banning the use of more than one random Risen spawn per chapter? If you ban them completely I fear that choices for the party will get limited as with no ways to prepare new recruits later in the game they will simply just get ignored in favour of the established party.

And how about banning Seal purchasing from anywhere outside Anna shops? I would say ban them completely but the game doesn't hand anywhere near enough Master Seals for that to be viable, and if you can't promote your guys properly you'll just either end up using three or four guys to tank absolutely everything or get killed because everything outclasses you in the final six or seven chapters once the enemies start using mostly promoted classes. Too much restriction can be a bad thing.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge   The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge EmptyTue 9 Jul 2013 - 9:24

I started this on hard, characters can die. I got to chapter 4 then Chrom was killed so GAME OVER for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge   The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge Empty

Back to top Go down

The Gnamer Hellfire Emblem Challenge
Page 1 of 1