We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

3DS News Thread

Go down 
+19
Fancy Fancy
Crumpy Andy
oldschool
fronkhead
beemoh
Buskalilly
Athrun888
The Cappuccino Kid
Axis1500
Jimbob
Sentinator
masofdas
The_Jaster
Treesmurf
Kieron
ZeroJones
shanks
NintenDUCK
Balladeer
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

3DS News Thread - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3DS News Thread   3DS News Thread - Page 12 EmptySat 30 Aug 2014 - 16:16

ZeroJones wrote:
The built-in NFC doodah is my reason for wanting this, with the SNES-coloured buttons being a nice, tingly throwback for oldies like myself. The increase in power is a bit murky - good to have, I suppose, but it'll probably end up like Wii MotionPlus, in that few developers will use it.

The increase in specs seems to be for an OS that runs a lot quicker/smoother than anything else, so I'm with Shanks in that there will only probably be a handful of new 3ds exclusive games

Think of it like the DSi upgrade as that had some exclusive games/features but didn't rock the already steady boat.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: 3DS News Thread   3DS News Thread - Page 12 EmptySun 31 Aug 2014 - 9:40

DSi of course had DSiWare but only 5 retail games with only 2 came to Europe and none of real note of course some games might of worked on a DS & DSi and used it's extra features. The New 3DS has a rather big title all ready announced for it and it's extra features is just buttons and looking from the trailer MH4 uses them but we all know that works on a normal 3DS, so it's only thing is that little bit of power that brings like xenoblade to it. So if it's getting things like that announced I still see it more of a gameboy color then a DSi and I'm very much with balla on my thoughts on the new 3ds.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: 3DS News Thread   3DS News Thread - Page 12 EmptySun 31 Aug 2014 - 9:49

Bloody hell, I go without internet for three days and I miss a new 3DS. Typical. Anyhoo, looks nice, sounds great on paper, and I'm sure GAME will do one of their upgrade/trade-in offers where I can get the new 3DS at a discount. Good stuff.

Not looking forward to getting hammered by Japanese players and their C-stick "nipple" on Smash Bros, mind.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: 3DS News Thread   3DS News Thread - Page 12 EmptySun 31 Aug 2014 - 10:11

Drunkalilly wrote:
Just had a proper look. I'm absolutely sold; faster, thinner, more powerful, additional control nipple.

Actually there bigger

New 3DS Dimensions
Height — 80.6mm — original model is 74mm
Width — 142mm — original model is 134mm
Depth — 21.6mm (when closed) — original model is 21mm
Weight — Approximately 253 grams with Battery Pak, stylus and Micro SD Memory Card (equivalent was 235 grams in original model)

New 3DS XL Dimensions
Height — 93.5mm — original model is 93mm
Width — 160mm — original model is 156mm
Depth — 21.5mm (when closed) — original model is 22mm, okay you can have this one
Weight — Approximately 329 grams with Battery Pak, stylus and Micro SD Memory Card (equivalent was 336 grams in original model)

But NintendoLife do have a complete guide, I do like that monster hunter 4 XL now that could tempt me.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: 3DS News Thread   3DS News Thread - Page 12 EmptySun 31 Aug 2014 - 15:03

masofdas wrote:
DSi of course had DSiWare but only 5 retail games with only 2 came to Europe and none of real note of course some games might of worked on a DS & DSi and used it's extra features. The New 3DS has a rather big title all ready announced for it and it's extra features is just buttons and looking from the trailer MH4 uses them but we all know that works on a normal 3DS, so it's only thing is that little bit of power that brings like xenoblade to it. So if it's getting things like that announced I still see it more of a gameboy color then a DSi and I'm very much with balla on my thoughts on the new 3ds.

I'm just saying I don't expect to see that many new 3ds exclusive games as they won't want to separate their audience too much & that's a good thing, I also think too much is being made of the upgrade in specs.

masofdas wrote:
.......it's extra features is just buttons and looking from the trailer MH4 uses them but we all know that works on a normal 3DS

Sure it works but you'd still be playing with a handicap, there's no way around it a second stick is essential for MH.

Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: 3DS News Thread   3DS News Thread - Page 12 EmptySun 31 Aug 2014 - 16:08

There isn't much left here that everyone else hasn't already mentioned, but I'm super excited about this, and it's absolutely a step in the right direction.

The new hardware should be able to support Unity and Nintendo Web Framework given the CPU is far faster (I suspect it's an architectural leap forward), so a lot of indie games that come to, say, Wii U and Vita, but not 3DS, should be able to now, and if Nintendo open the doors to indies in Japan we could be seeing a lot of neat, new and exclusive titles heading to New 3DS, like how DSiWare opened the doors to unique games on DSi.

I really like the look of the second stick. Having enjoyed using pointing sticks on laptops I'm all for this, and its positioning is great. Having what essentially amounts to a fifth button as a stick for camera control just makes sense -- no need to move your thumb awkwardly to get to a big circle pad elsewhere (Vita's lower facing sticks are quite a pain to move to from the face buttons).

I'm particularly interested in how the new 3D viewing works (I think it tracks your head via the camera, then sends the 3D your way going off the Direct), and I'm glad Nintendo hasn't given up on 3D yet. 2DS must have been canned in Japan, then.

It's worth the purchase alone for all the OS-specific improvements too, Miiverse is finally useable and the browser is modern so expect a 3DS image share on par with Wii U's and a fast Miiverse that you'd actually want to use. And then there's the prospects of an improved StreetPass experience. Nintendo's taking what makes 3DS, 3DS and improving it in ways that actually matter to us. Given the next generation will see Nintendo likely start on a new canvas, we should savour this while it lasts.

My only complaint is that the build quality again seems to display the same sort of cutbacks that made it to the 3DS XL/LL: cheaper plastics, a more basic design, no metallic buttons and all that. While the New 3DS LL looks great next to the current model, the New 3DS certainly looks more austere next to the premium original model. I hope the speakers haven't taken a hit either.

Before I forget, the preview video for the New 3DS has gone live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdy9Z_bDIC8&list=UUkH3CcMfqww9RsZvPRPkAJA

Balladeer, would you be able to make all the discussion about New 3DS into its own thread? I'm just worried this will all be buried beneath other news-y happenings by the time it launches and we have more to say.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: 3DS News Thread   3DS News Thread - Page 12 EmptySun 31 Aug 2014 - 17:00

The_Jaster wrote:

masofdas wrote:
.......it's extra features is just buttons and looking from the trailer MH4 uses them but we all know that works on a normal 3DS

Sure it works but you'd still be playing with a handicap, there's no way around it a second stick is essential for MH.

You could just buy a control stick add-on thing, much cheaper then a new system.

@Fronk you do make some good points especially about unity and maybe all this stuff about the new 3ds should be moved to it's on thread. Alos the video has already been posted but still cool to see.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: 3DS News Thread   3DS News Thread - Page 12 EmptySun 31 Aug 2014 - 17:24

masofdas wrote:
The_Jaster wrote:

masofdas wrote:

You could just buy a control stick add-on thing, much cheaper then a new system.

@Fronk you do make some good points especially about unity and maybe all this stuff about the new 3ds should be moved to it's on thread. Alos the video has already been posted but still cool to see.

It's the preview video that went up yesterday, it's basically what you posted up but with side by side comparisons to the old hardware, and with a trailer about the faceplates at the end.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: 3DS News Thread   3DS News Thread - Page 12 EmptyMon 1 Sep 2014 - 3:52

fronkhead wrote:
The new hardware should be able to support Unity and Nintendo Web Framework given the CPU is far faster (I suspect it's an architectural leap forward), so a lot of indie games that come to, say, Wii U and Vita, but not 3DS, should be able to now, and if Nintendo open the doors to indies in Japan we could be seeing a lot of neat, new and exclusive titles heading to New 3DS, like how DSiWare opened the doors to unique games on DSi.

Do you reckon that might mean more of a chance for cross buy on Nintendo platform?

masofdas wrote:

You could but having that attachment on there (which I own, only used it for MGS3d) doesn't exactly make the system very portable.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: 3DS News Thread   3DS News Thread - Page 12 EmptyMon 1 Sep 2014 - 3:56

Having a stream of good indie titles would make me more inclined to shell out on this thing.  Which, incidentally, has probably generated enough fuss to warrant its own thread.

Also, Mas has suggested that I put up a poll. So there's a poll now.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: 3DS News Thread   3DS News Thread - Page 12 EmptyMon 1 Sep 2014 - 10:19

Isn't cross buy already possible? Steamworld Dig has an offer for 3DS owners so I'd imagine it would be the same thing.

I second Fronks request to move this to a "new" 3DS thread
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: 3DS News Thread   3DS News Thread - Page 12 EmptyMon 1 Sep 2014 - 10:22

Yeah but it's not like Sony's.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: 3DS News Thread   3DS News Thread - Page 12 EmptyMon 1 Sep 2014 - 10:29

I said it's possible, not that it's in place. I assume that Nintendo just aren't interested in doing cross-buy.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: 3DS News Thread   3DS News Thread - Page 12 EmptyMon 1 Sep 2014 - 10:32

Which to me seems stupid especially with VC.

Also balla didn't you say about the VITA not interested in indies but now you would maybe buy a new 3ds for them.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: 3DS News Thread   3DS News Thread - Page 12 EmptyMon 1 Sep 2014 - 14:19

Sigh.

Balladeer wrote:
Having a stream of good indie titles would make me more inclined to shell out on this thing.

Maybe you should stop trying to pick people up on mistakes, Mas?  You've tried to do it several times to me, and may have succeeded twice.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: 3DS News Thread   3DS News Thread - Page 12 EmptyMon 1 Sep 2014 - 14:27

Sorry to course any offence just thought it funny you dismissed the vita and not bothered about its indie support but would more inclined to get a new 3ds because of them. Was just curious why this was wasn't pointing any mistakes or what not.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: 3DS News Thread   3DS News Thread - Page 12 EmptyMon 1 Sep 2014 - 14:37

The_Jaster wrote:
fronkhead wrote:

Do you reckon that might mean more of a chance for cross buy on Nintendo platform?

I think so. What determines whether cross-buy happens or not seems to be the cost of making each version. With Unity and Web Framework it should be relatively cheaper and easier to get one version working on the other console/handheld. Apparently you can get a Unity game up and running on Wii U in a matter of hours.

This goes some ways towards explaining why on PS, indie games tend to be those that support cross buy, not big games where a lot of time and effort has to be spent making specific PS3 and Vita versions, for example. Making a Vita version of, say, Borderlands 2 probably took a lot of resources and time.

masofdas wrote:
Yeah but it's not like Sony's.
andyman949 wrote:
Isn't cross buy already possible? Steamworld Dig has an offer for 3DS owners so I'd imagine it would be the same thing.

Both of these are technically correct. NoA doesn't even have the mechanisms in place to do cross-buy yet (NoE does, as we've seen), but it all again boils down to what I mentioned above in this same post: it's all about whether the developer can afford to make their game cross-buy or not, which is why we don't see cross-buy happen on bigger games like Atelier Rorona Plus, Borderlands 2 or Project Diva 2nd, but if it's relatively cheap to make both versions, we will.

If you think about it, this is why Iwata and Miyamoto have spoken so much about the next gen running the same OS across both platforms and sharing the same architecture, as evidenced when Nintendo merged their handheld and console R&D teams into one.

We'll see a setup similar to iOS, where developers can build one version of their game that will work on several form factors -- I say this as I remember Iwata hinting that they will launch a handheld first, then another form factor which could be a console second -- sharing the same binaries but with various tweaks and features to suit each. Which would means cross-buy can pretty much happen for *everything* that reaches both platforms just like how you buy one app on iOS and it works on iPhone and iPad, but offers a different experience on both to fit both form factors. It'll be really great. And we'd still see games exclusive to one or the other where it matters.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: 3DS News Thread   3DS News Thread - Page 12 EmptyFri 12 Sep 2014 - 9:31

Gotta arrest 'em all!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: 3DS News Thread   3DS News Thread - Page 12 EmptyMon 22 Sep 2014 - 14:25

IGN have been doing there TGS coverage and they love the New 3DS and how great monster hunter 4 and final fantasy explorers (i think it's that) work on it and few other outlets like GameSpot all seem to be saying the same thing that C-Stick thing makes a huge difference.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: 3DS News Thread   3DS News Thread - Page 12 EmptyTue 23 Sep 2014 - 10:46

Oh speaking of IGN they're such a classy outfit. Winky Face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG2OO4U4EC4&list=UUbG8pgMt--16TfHzOjNdsMA
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: 3DS News Thread   3DS News Thread - Page 12 EmptyTue 23 Sep 2014 - 10:50

You'd think a big company like IGN wouldn't be making mistakes like that.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: 3DS News Thread   3DS News Thread - Page 12 EmptyTue 23 Sep 2014 - 10:59

As the guy says in the video I don't see how it could be a mistake, it just seems like they flat out googled for footage since they were pushed for time also this guy is well known in the MH community so it wouldn't have been hard to find.

Then they half assed the apology.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: 3DS News Thread   3DS News Thread - Page 12 EmptyTue 23 Sep 2014 - 16:47

Honestly, it looks like a better apology than you'd get from many. They took down his footage and everything.
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: 3DS News Thread   3DS News Thread - Page 12 EmptyWed 24 Sep 2014 - 7:26

So Australia has it's own direct now as seen here.

And we will be getting the new 3DS here in November
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: 3DS News Thread   3DS News Thread - Page 12 EmptyWed 24 Sep 2014 - 10:21

You beat me to it.

I can't believe you of all places are getting second and it PAL why not bring out in other PAL regions at the same time, I guess you don't need to get one from Japan in October and where could I import one from. Something HiFi the best place I think but any help shanks would be good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3DS News Thread   3DS News Thread - Page 12 Empty

Back to top Go down

3DS News Thread
Page 12 of 21Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 21  Next