We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)

Go down 
+18
Rattlecat
Solve My Maze
Treesmurf
Cube
NintenDUCK
masofdas
Jimbob
Crumpy Andy
The_Jaster
Dusty Knackers
Axis1500
LikesVideoGames
ZeroJones
The Cappuccino Kid
fronkhead
shanks
Buskalilly
Balladeer
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 5 EmptyFri 21 Feb 2014 - 18:29

I read about that in the ONM review, I think.  It didn't sit well with me.  Memories of Yoshi's Island DS...

Later EDIT: I actually have it! Thank you GAME Oxford Street. After the trek to get there (buses were down), the man behind the desk didn't think they had any copies left... then brought out what he said was the last one in stock. Phew!

As for the actual game, the levels have more alternate routes than DKCR, and it's noticeably prettier - otherwise, as Cappa says, it all feels terribly familiar. "Jumping into every patch of water" is the new "ground pounding/blowing everywhere". I like Dixie's whirl, though.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 5 EmptySun 23 Feb 2014 - 19:28

I'm hoping that the reason NOBODY else has posted about this all weekend is because you're all too busy enjoying it to get on here. I've just reached World 2, and they've duly cooled off on the "puddles EVERYWHERE" stuff and just given use more current-era DKC; which is very pretty, very tough in places, and full of variety. And the soundtrack is much better than DKCR's too.

I've having more fun with this than I ever did with SM3DW. Ironically, given that DKCTF has one fewer dimension, there's more potential for exploration in it than SM3DW - that and the lack of time limit pretty much decides it, so far.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 5 EmptySun 23 Feb 2014 - 19:41

If you'd only waited fifteen minutes, there would have been a reply from me to say that I've got it. Only played the first level so far - just to make sure the disc isn't broken, and because I want to finish LEGO Marvel Heroes first. You must not judge a game based on one level but it looks and feels familiar, with the exception of being mercifully waggle-free. Oh, and, swimming. I get what you mean about the puddles.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 5 EmptySun 23 Feb 2014 - 19:45

It isn't in any way possible to have more fun with this than Super Mario 3D World, Balladeer. You're a liar. You lie. Why do you lie?

*retracts forumite of the year award, splits it between Chandra Nair and everyone who knows your real name instead*
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 5 EmptySun 23 Feb 2014 - 19:49

Sad Stu, back me up on this one!  (You probably haven't played TF, but I get the feeling you'll agree by default.)

Sorry for not waiting, Zero!  And the puddles do get less frequent.  It is familiar, though.

I also wanted to say that the boss of the first world is better than anything the original had, apart from possibly the final boss (who was Wooden Andross anyway).
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 5 EmptySun 23 Feb 2014 - 19:52

Chandra Nair is a forumite? I thought awesomedude's writing style was familiar!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 5 EmptySun 23 Feb 2014 - 21:02

I started mine today, I'm on world 2 the game so far gets my seal of approval but does seem very similar to previous games in the series. It's not a bad thing though but just doesn't get me that excited but it's nice to turn the wii u on though.

Also are you posting me my piece of the award cappa.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 5 EmptySun 23 Feb 2014 - 21:07

masofdas wrote:
...my seal of approval...

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 5 Maxresdefault

Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Axis1500
Vote Thread
Axis1500

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 5 EmptySun 23 Feb 2014 - 23:57

I've heard really good things about this game, and I own it, but I'm still stuck in Lorule at the moment.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 5 EmptyMon 24 Feb 2014 - 17:45

How appropriate, given your current avatar. Grin
Back to top Go down
Sentinator
Bokoblin
Sentinator

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 5 EmptyMon 24 Feb 2014 - 19:26

Sorry. I've been a very busy bee lately. Haven't had time to enjoy it properly but what I played makes me want to see something more like DK64. I have missed Dixie though.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 5 EmptyMon 24 Feb 2014 - 22:00

She's in the game, you muffin!
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 5 EmptyTue 25 Feb 2014 - 0:16

I wasn't gonna get this just yet as it didn't feel like a must have, I'm trying to budget and I wanted to complete a few uncompleted/unplayed games but seeing everyone talk about this and pictures of it means I'll invest come payday.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 5 EmptyTue 25 Feb 2014 - 6:08

Balladeer wrote:
She's in the game, you muffin!

Isn't that what he was saying? "I have missed her, I'm glad she's back" rather than "I have missed her, I am still missing her".
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 5 EmptyTue 25 Feb 2014 - 7:49

Ah yes, that would make sense.  Sorry Senti: previous post written on return from pub.
Back to top Go down
Sentinator
Bokoblin
Sentinator

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 5 EmptyTue 25 Feb 2014 - 9:01

I am wondering if there are remixes of DKC2 music on this considering it is a sequel.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 5 EmptyTue 25 Feb 2014 - 9:03

The underwater music in the first level is Aquatic Ambience redone, isn't it?
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 5 EmptyTue 25 Feb 2014 - 20:09

I'm halfway through world 4 currently & I'm thoroughly enjoying it as the level design is just spectacular, though I'm finding collecting lives a whole lot easier than in returns which has made my many deaths less frustrating.

Quick question, who here has Returns on 3ds? Maybe that's a big factor in how familiar it is to some people.
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 5 EmptyWed 26 Feb 2014 - 3:46

I have it on one of my 3DS's and was admittedly playing it not long before this came out
Back to top Go down
Sentinator
Bokoblin
Sentinator

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 5 EmptyWed 26 Feb 2014 - 6:24

I honestly think Returns is better suited to 3DS than Wii. That is why I wish they took the 3D Donkey approach here.

I also have to say considering the 20 years of boasting about how he could beat the game faster than us, Cranky doesn't do much to put his money where his mouth is.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 5 EmptyWed 26 Feb 2014 - 9:24

He's my second favourite helper behind Dixie. The one with the tail can take a hike.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 5 EmptyWed 26 Feb 2014 - 19:20

I've found them all very useful in their own ways but if I was forced to pick the ones I prefer it'd be Cranky & Diddy.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 5 EmptyWed 26 Feb 2014 - 19:46

I have come on here to take a break from Bopopolis. It's the first level that's really made me swear - at least with 1-K, I didn't have to be constantly on full timing alert when I went back through the level to where I got to last time. But I've got all the jigsaws, three of which took suicide missions to collect, so I will get it done tonight.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 5 EmptyWed 26 Feb 2014 - 19:55

I've come to a complete standstill with this since Monday. I'm finding it difficult to beat the second boss. It's tricky, but the real obstacle is that when I invariably lose a life, I can't be bothered to retry it straight away as it's really, really boring. Why do I have to dodge about fifty enemies to have half a chance to hit the main one, then do the exact same thing again over the course of about ten minutes another five times? That's just dull.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 5 EmptyWed 26 Feb 2014 - 21:02

I BEAT BOPOPOLIS!!! Dance Dance Dance 

Youtube within:

And I get what you mean, Cappa - he's a bit of a pain.  (I, erm, just beat him.)  But what is definitely the best, or at least happiest, level in the game (so far) comes directly afterwards, so it's worth sticking him out before you chuck in the towel.

Level 3-1 Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)   Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky) - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Don't Be Cranky, Be Funky)
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next