We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!

Go down 
+12
Buskalilly
NintenDUCK
The Cappuccino Kid
masofdas
The_Jaster
ZeroJones
Admin
Treesmurf
Balladeer
Silver light
Crumpy Andy
JayMoyles
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 24  Next
AuthorMessage
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! Empty
PostSubject: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! EmptySun 23 Jun 2013 - 17:47

Howdy all! So, considering the rousing success of Balla's big Wii voting thread, I've offered to take up the mantle and bring to you the BIG DS VOTING THREAD! *rapturous applause*

So, here's the deal for those who didn't take part in Balla's thread. Every week, I'll put forward to you guys a genre or tenuously put together pseudo-genre and you'll send me your Top 5 games (or less) from that genre via a PM. If there's a point of contention as to whether or not a game fits in that genre or not, then I'll ask you guys for your help and we can furiously argue and fight to the death as to whether or not a game warrants inclusion in a genre or not.

So, to summarise:

• I'll put forward a genre each week
  • You guys send me your top 5 (or less) favourite DS games from that genre in a PM, with optional witty comments (please send witty comments)
  • I'll rank them accordingly (5 points for 1st place, 4 points for 2nd and so on...)
  • Each Sunday at around 6pm I'll reveal what the forum decided was the best

This will be a bit shorter than the Wii thread as I don't recall there being a plethora of fighting or shooter titles on the DS, but if I'm wrong and you reckon we can squeeze one to two weeks out of those, then let me know and we'll add them in. This is not my project - this is the forum's, I just happen to be the man overseeing it. Razz

THIS WEEK: EVERYTHING

The best of the best of the best. You've got two weeks to vote guys!

Voting Order

• Week One - Puzzles

LINK TO RESULTS FOR WEEK ONE

• Week Two - MANLY GAMES: Drivin'/Shootin'/Brawlin'/Killin' (AKA Racing, Fighting and Shooting Games for the testosteronely challenged)

LINK TO RESULTS FOR WEEK TWO

• Week Three - Sports/Minigames

LINK TO RESULTS FOR WEEK THREE

• Week Four - Action-Adventure

LINK TO RESULTS FOR WEEK FOUR

• Week Five - Platformers

LINK TO RESULTS FOR WEEK FIVE

• Week Six - Rhythm and Music Games

LINK TO RESULTS FOR WEEK SIX

• Week Seven - Strategy Games

LINK TO RESULTS FOR WEEK SEVEN

• Week Eight - "Other" Games!

LINK TO RESULTS FOR WEEK EIGHT

• Week Nine - RPGs

LINK TO RESULTS FOR WEEK NINE

• Week Ten - EVERYTHING

Last edited by JayMoyles on Mon 9 Sep 2013 - 20:41; edited 35 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! EmptySun 23 Jun 2013 - 17:52

Where abouts are we putting games like Advance Wars and FF Tactics?
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! EmptySun 23 Jun 2013 - 17:58

In that strategy category, didn't you see it? *ahem* Embarrassed

Honestly, it hadn't crossed my mind, although it should have considering I own FFTA2.
Back to top Go down
Silver light
Ing Warrior
Silver light

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! EmptySun 23 Jun 2013 - 17:59

Imo Advance Wars falls into Strategy, while FF Tactics A2 falls into RPG. The latter's a lot more debatable than the former, though.

Hotel Dusk is a visual novel, but one with some "actual gameplay". Same case for 999, too. I've only played the latter, but you could definitely slide it into puzzles, i guess....hmm.

Last edited by Silver light on Sun 23 Jun 2013 - 18:07; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! EmptySun 23 Jun 2013 - 18:02

The reason I asked was I don't think there are enough strategy games to warrent a whole week so would it not be worth putting the more RPG based ones in RPG and the rest (probably just AW) in other.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! EmptySun 23 Jun 2013 - 18:06

Makes sense. I'll remove that hastily added category then. Duh!

As for Hotel Dusk, I would have placed it in other myself, but I was asking as there are definitely puzzles elements to the game.

EDIT: okay, so what I've done is moved Strategy and combined it with other, and made Rhythm its own week.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! EmptySun 23 Jun 2013 - 18:08

I believe we should go for consistancy and put it in other as it's a visual novel and that's what we did with Trauma Centre on Wii, same would apply for the DS version of that and Ace Attorney I should think.
Back to top Go down
Silver light
Ing Warrior
Silver light

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! EmptySun 23 Jun 2013 - 18:09

JayMoyles wrote:
Makes sense. I'll remove that hastily added category then. Duh!

As for Hotel Dusk, I would have placed it in other myself, but I was asking as there are definitely puzzles elements to the game.
Post edits ahoy!

Another one i've just thought of too that spans the genres is Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes, being a puzzle-RPG. I'm definitely thinking puzzle for that, though.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! EmptySun 23 Jun 2013 - 18:10

Anyone got a strong case for Dusk as a puzzler?

Speak now, or forever behold its fate as an "other" game.

@Silver - Never played it myself, if anyone else can chime in on it? Had a gander at a Youtube video of it and it seemed more a puzzler to me.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! EmptySun 23 Jun 2013 - 18:13

Definately a puzzler for M&M!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! EmptySun 23 Jun 2013 - 18:19

The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! O1UNa

Happy for Dusk to be "other". Touched is definitely a minigame-y thing because it consists of lots of small games: I expect Phillips to disagree vehemently though. Razz

Also, suggestion: sports/minigames to be split out. Before I do this we should probably check that there are enough minigame games to make a single week (I can only think of the Rub Rabbits series off the top of my head): but if there are, given Phillips' and Jaster's words in the last thread, and that there aren't so many genres this time around, I think sports could go it alone. Heck, I've even played a DS sports game! Just the one, mind.

This is going to be a tough week, although anyone who doesn't know my first place doesn't know me. Will have a ponder. Also, stickied!
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Silver light
Ing Warrior
Silver light

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! EmptySun 23 Jun 2013 - 18:20

andyman949 wrote:
I believe we should go for consistancy and put it in other as it's a visual novel and that's what we did with Trauma Centre on Wii, same would apply for the DS version of that and Ace Attorney I should think.
Ace Attorney definitely, but....Trauma Centre? xD I imagine that would be going in "Other" anyway, mind.

Just realised how completely and utterly buggered i'm going to be when we hit the RPG week Sad
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! EmptySun 23 Jun 2013 - 18:22

DS Sports games? Am I missing something here?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! EmptySun 23 Jun 2013 - 18:23

Balladeer wrote:
Happy for Dusk to be "other".  Touched is definitely a minigame-y thing because it consists of lots of small games: I expect Phillips to disagree vehemently though. Razz

Also, suggestion: sports/minigames to be split out.  Before I do this we should probably check that there are enough minigame games to make a single week (I can only think of the Rub Rabbits series off the top of my head): but if there are, given Phillips' and Jaster's words in the last thread, and that there aren't so many genres this time around, I think sports could go it alone.  Heck, I've even played a DS sports game!  Just the one, mind.

This is going to be a tough week, although anyone who doesn't know my first place doesn't know me.  Will have a ponder.  Also, stickied!

What DS sports games were you thinking? I could combine minigames and rhythm (complimentary combo I reckon) if you can make a case for Sports to go it alone.

I can predict your first place easily. Nah nah! Cheers for the sticky!

@Silver - I know... 75%/80% of my DS collection are RPGs.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! EmptySun 23 Jun 2013 - 18:24

Are there no good sports games out there?  (Mine was Mario Hoops 3-On-3.) I imagine Phillips will have played all of them...
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! EmptySun 23 Jun 2013 - 18:28

Had a peruse through the list of DS sports games here and beyond the Mario and Sonic titles and Mario Hoops, I couldn't see a lot going on there. Meh
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! EmptySun 23 Jun 2013 - 18:36

Eh, maybe not then. Just an idea.

Here's one: Metroid Prime Pinball. I've seen it listed as a puzzle game, but it's not really, is it?
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! EmptySun 23 Jun 2013 - 18:38

Nah, I wouldn't have said so. Bung it in other.

Fun fact, I was scoffed at by the bloke behind the counter at GAME when I bought Metroid Prime Pinball.
Back to top Go down
Silver light
Ing Warrior
Silver light

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! EmptySun 23 Jun 2013 - 18:38

Balladeer wrote:
Eh, maybe not then.  Just an idea.  

Here's one: Metroid Prime Pinball.  I've seen it listed as a puzzle game, but it's not really, is it?
First thought: Pinball? Puzzle? Lol!
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! EmptySun 23 Jun 2013 - 18:47

Balladeer wrote:
Eh, maybe not then.  Just an idea.  

Also, I'm not scrapping the idea, still totally open to it if someone can back it up with some games to prove it. Smile
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! EmptySun 23 Jun 2013 - 18:49

Silver light wrote:
First thought: Pinball? Puzzle? Lol!

I agree, and yet...
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! EmptySun 23 Jun 2013 - 18:57

I saw that list too. Seemed like a bizarre inclusion I reckoned!
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! EmptySun 23 Jun 2013 - 19:01

I believe Wikipedia said TC was visual novel so we went with it. It doesn't fit comfortably elsewhere though so I think Other does it just fine.
Pinball is no puzzler!
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! EmptySun 23 Jun 2013 - 19:03

I could almost see an argument for TC as a puzzler, but it's not a strong argument. Other it is.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Ice Climber
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! EmptySun 23 Jun 2013 - 19:06

Permission to be a pain in the arse? What about Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure? Yes it's part platformer, yes it's definitely part hack-and-slash, yes it even has RPG elements, but also it has a puzzle game perma-grafted to the DS' lower screen. Nah nah!

Personally, I'd say it's more of a hack-and-slash puzzle platformer, but I expect at least two people to disagree.
Back to top Go down
http://messedupcables.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!   The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting! Empty

Back to top Go down

The BIG DS Voting Thread, Coming to You Weekly: Thanks For Voting!
Page 1 of 24Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 24  Next