Nintendo in encouraging Emio-lation shocker

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What are you reading Thread

Go down 
+20
oldschool
Jimbob
Kornel
Rum
Vidofnir
Admin
masofdas
2grundies
JayMoyles
NintenDUCK
Axis1500
Cube
Crumpy Andy
ZeroJones
LikesVideoGames
shanks
Buskalilly
beemoh
Balladeer
Athrun888
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15
AuthorMessage
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

What are you reading Thread - Page 15 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 15 EmptyThu 2 Apr 2020 - 14:44

Whiskey is top tier alcohol so I for one wouldn't mind seeing more about it on the forum Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 15 EmptySat 4 Apr 2020 - 14:27

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
On topic...all I read is football or whisky books, you'd probably not be interested!

Some of your games tastes suddenly make a lot more sense...
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 15 EmptyMon 6 Apr 2020 - 11:13

I just finished the Dark Tower series. Phenomenal stuff, I want to read more Stephen King now.

Currently reading a Harry Potter as a nice light palette cleanser, then it's on to a book about the French Revolution.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 15 EmptyMon 17 Aug 2020 - 21:12

I just purchased an actual Mills & Boon.

For all of you lucky enough not to know what those are, they're notoriously terrible and formulaic romances/soft erotica aimed primarily at a female market. They follow a pattern of a domineering bad boy male lead and the innocent (often virginal) female who steals his heart/'tames him'. They're the name in crappy romance and I just bought Jordan St. Claire: Dark and Dangerous because it had the best* name of the ones I saw. People in my book club had already taken The Ruthless Billionaire's Virgin and Untouched Until her Ultra-Rich Husband.

If anyone fancies a giggle I'm happy to post some of the best extracts. Otherwise I'll keep this treasure*** all to myself.

What are you reading Thread - Page 15 ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fimages6.fanpop.com%2Fimage%2Fphotos%2F33100000%2FScreams-Internally-random-33125288-500-279
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 15 EmptyMon 17 Aug 2020 - 22:23

Both my Nan and Aunty read those, always thought of them as something aimed at middle-aged housewives.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 15 EmptyMon 17 Aug 2020 - 23:01

When I was at school I did work experience at the local library, and having learned the Dewey decimal system I got to the 'romance' section and found that none of the books were filed away properly. I asked the manager about it and he scoffed, saying "it's not worth bothering putting them in order".

Coincidentally, my sister had a paid library assistant job at the time and knew the colour coordination of all the different types of M&B books. I remember brown was "blaze" i.e. particularly saucy stories.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 15 EmptyTue 18 Aug 2020 - 18:41

If only I'd known! Could have picked one with some actual excitement in to go with the terrible writing:

Quote :
Jordan St Claire didn’t know it yet, but the immovable object was about to meet the unstoppable force!

Sick

Quote :
It took every ounce of Stephanie’s usual calm collectedness to keep her expression coolly mocking as she found herself looking not at Jordan St Claire but at the world-famous actor Jordan Simpson!

How Not To Write: A Guide

masofdas wrote:
Both my Nan and Aunty read those, always thought of them as something aimed at middle-aged housewives.

And people who don't mind writing that makes you want to gouge your eyes out apparently.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 15 EmptyFri 20 Nov 2020 - 18:39

I trust we're all reading the latest viral bestseller?

Once you're all done gouging your eyes out over that, she's actually done another one.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 15 EmptySat 21 Nov 2020 - 8:23

These are exactly the kind of shit my ex liked to read. Endless kindle romances about changelings, cyborgs, vampires, aliens and god-knows-what else and the covers always look like that.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 15 EmptyFri 2 Sep 2022 - 21:58

Been a while since I've had a stack of books to read through, but I asked for a bunch for my birthday and I have some modest recommendations!

Gideon the Ninth is a gothic horror space fantasy with necromancers.  It's good fun, with one major caveat: the main character Gideon herself.  I'm very much here for gothic horror space fantasy with a line of snark straight through the middle, but Gideon is a very American teen and it just doesn't work.  Everything is 'ass': either she's talking about her own, or somebody else's, or she's using '-ass' for emphasis.  There are other examples of ill-fitting American slang too.  Still, the haunted gothic palace with science bits is a lot of fun, and the other characters are good.

Bullet Train is an easier recommend: I can see somebody like Buska having already read it.  Japanese thriller about five killers on a train.  Yes it did just get made into a mediocre film, but if you do things like aggressively Westernising a Japanese book and diluting the best character, that's what you get.  The book's main villain is a wonderfully unsettling child, but its best tools are a generally madcap cast and a pace that never lets up.  Well worth a look.

I've got The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle (a favourite of the games journalist with a similar name) and House of Leaves (ergodic story about a creepy house) waiting for me too. Happy days!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading Thread   What are you reading Thread - Page 15 Empty

Back to top Go down

What are you reading Thread
Page 15 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15