We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc

Go down 
+15
ThorOfAsgard
Jimbob
flora-chan
Treesmurf
Athrun888
ZeroJones
beemoh
Balladeer
Cube
Buskalilly
Crumpy Andy
JayMoyles
The_Jaster
shanks
masofdas
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21 ... 25  Next
AuthorMessage
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc   DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc - Page 18 EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018 - 15:53

Meanwhile I've been chipping away at older marvel movies.  Following Cap America 2 the other month was Doctor Strange three weeks back, a corker of a film.  Its probably already been said by basically everyone but dang those effects were trippy and awesome as hell!  Followed that just today with the first viewing of Guardians of the Galaxy and I have no clue why I waited so long, it was an absolute blast of a film, probably in my top 3! I'm sure everyone knows why the film rocked so I won't spend ages fanboying over it.

Slowly making my way through the backlog in prep for Infinity War, I believe at this point the big ones left are Captain America 3, Avengers 2, Spidey, and of course this niche movie y'all have been talking about called Black Panther (which might have to be next to ensure the local cinema doesn't stop screening it before I get a chance to see it).
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc   DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc - Page 18 EmptyWed 14 Mar 2018 - 19:38

They are nearly all absolute treats, Athers - the ones that aren’t are mere treats (for me, at least). A fine way to spend your time indeed.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc   DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc - Page 18 EmptySat 17 Mar 2018 - 18:09

Cap 3 is Civil War, right? That's my favourite Marvel movie to date. Enjoy, Athers! Grin
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc   DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc - Page 18 EmptySun 18 Mar 2018 - 10:54

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on Homecoming Athers, I know you're as big a Spidey fan as me. Civil War and Black Panther are both absolute gold, Avengers 2 is seriously underrated.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc   DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc - Page 18 EmptyMon 19 Mar 2018 - 13:01

Well, seen Black Panther.  It's good to see that Marvel has grown to the point where they can not only feel confident to put serious money and talent behind a production such as this, but also give it the push needed to succeed.  Many a company in their position would be happy to simply milk what works with little variation and exploration in themes, concepts, and settings, it's assuring to see Marvel is not one of them.  It ensures both that the films they make will continue to lift the bar, but also that they will remain relevant for years to come even as we stand on the cusp of the culmination of the last ten or so years of films.  But I digress a little, it is after all hard to talk about this movie without also mentioning Marvel as a whole considering what is next.  

Black Panther, the movie of the month (year possibly).  There isn't much to say that hasn't already been said.  A bold and proud movie, packed with likeable engaging characters and visually stunning to behold (seriously! From the action to the scene composition to the fashion it was a constant treat for the eyes).  The underlying themes it covers are both relevant and handled with class, aplomb, and as with everything else in the movie; captivatingly with unabashed style.

Everything else I would want to say has already been covered, agreed about Klaw, although
Spoiler:

So yeah, in short if it wasn't obvious I liked the film and thought it aces. If anything I think Marvel might have shot themselves in the foot placing it so near Infinity War, because I honestly can't see how they're going to top Black Panther!

Yep, Cap America 3 is Civil War. Been having some trouble getting it from the rental store for the last few weeks unfortunately. And definitely looking forward to Homecoming, I've got my fingers crossed that Marvel got the balance between Peter and Spidey right where the others failed.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc   DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc - Page 18 EmptyMon 19 Mar 2018 - 19:21

I too watched Black Panther recently and thought it was a very good movie, solid 8/10, and even if it hadn't been good, it's a film of significant cultural importance which is cool.

Although I came away from the film happy, I think there are a few problems with its writing that dragged it down from being up there with my all-time favourite superhero films (Guardians of the Galaxy, The Dark Knight, Super).

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc   DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc - Page 18 EmptyTue 20 Mar 2018 - 9:26

To be fair mercy justified isn't really mercy.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc   DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc - Page 18 EmptyWed 21 Mar 2018 - 13:27

Finally a Spider-Man film that gets things right. FINALLY! Great job on their choice to go for the comedic take, fits with the choice to go for a extremely young Peter. A choice that might have rankled me if Holland wasn't just so darn perfect at the role, but he is! Equal parts energetic, dorky in a likeable and relatable way (exactly what Peter's dorky side is meant to be), and good-natured goofball. And huzzah, not even a verbal mention of Uncle Ben! (Shout-out to their almost deliberately subverting even having an expy of it with the bank scene!)

Seriously the film was perfect. The perfect mix of campy superhero story and modern take (definitely more than a few Ultimate Spiderman vibes in it, and as a big fan of that too you bet I loved it!), and as far as I'm concerned the best rendition of the character on film yet. There was so much to love, from the obvious things to the little things like how the eyes looked (I still can't believe they managed to find a way to incorporate the various subtle changing of Spidey's eyes that display his emotion when in-suit, but they did it!)

Speaking of Vulture if you'd told me five years ago that a Spidey movie would not only feature the Vulture as its main villain, but make him absolutely terrifying with just enough sympathetic notes to make him credible I'd have probably laughed at you. But here he is, and Keaton's portrayal was spot on perfect. Heck I think we could even go without both Osborn and Otto with this guy around. Brilliant casting and brilliant portrayal, just like basically everything in the movie!

Also can I just take a moment to say I loved the costumes in this one? Vulture's high-tech suit was menacing as all get-out, and his coat was a fantastic blend of modern aesthetics and nods to his original design in the comics. And of course all three of Spidey's costumes were fantastic, yes even the dorky home-made one. Especially the dorky home-made one!

And while I'm talking specific points I love that they kept the stakes small-scale with this one, really felt true to Spidey to forgo city/nation/world destruction as the threat and keep it to a simple heist prevention with some big personal stakes.

I could honestly just keep fanboying over this movie all day to the point I cover the entire thing, so I'll stop here. But yeah, they nailed it. Now here's hoping neither Sony nor Disney decide to screw this up and we can get a nice long series going here, if it survives long enough I could fully see us finally getting a Sinister Six on the big screen given the ending with Vulture.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc   DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc - Page 18 EmptyWed 21 Mar 2018 - 19:05

I was initially sceptical about that movie because I was worried it was going to be just another teen spiderman film, but they did a really good job. It captured that mischievous sense of fun very nicely, but the Vulture elevated the film to the point of being one of the better MCU offerings. It's very refreshing to see a working-class villain done so well.

The only thing that annoyed me was Iron Man, or rather, that they don't seem to be pushing a future Iron Man film that allows Robert Downey Jr. to explore Tony Stark's psychology. Homecoming gave us the perfect backdrop - Iron Man policies basically engendered the Vulture, and Iron Man's failure as a father figure provides the other catalyst that drives the film's plot and justifies Spiderman's recklessness. Then there's also the whole thing with Iron Man's father being a stinker, and Tony Stark's battles with alcoholism. If Black Panther and Thor: Ragnarok have shown anything it's that the superhero can be blended with other filmic themes, so I think it would have been nice if they let Robert Downey Jr loose in a film that took the superhero backdrop but focused on exploring Stark's psychology.

I'm not an Iron Man fan though, so maybe they've dealt with some of those themes in his other films? Don't know, haven't seen them [apart from bits of Iron Man 2 via one of those tiny screens found only within aeroplanes, and even then it was the screen of the person seated in the row ahead of me because mine didn't work]. The point is that the overall narrative in Homecoming has made me want to see an Iron Man film that does those things.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc   DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc - Page 18 EmptyWed 21 Mar 2018 - 19:37

I think there’s a great Iron Man film in the idea of exploring Tony Stark’s psychology, but I’d rather not see that in a Spider-Man film. If anything, his appearance in Homecoming damaged his (potential) arc, as they had to put the PTSD he seems to have into the background.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc   DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc - Page 18 EmptyThu 29 Mar 2018 - 14:24

Finally finished watching Netflix's The Punisher last night and I have to say it's the worst of the Netflix Marvel output and the first I've not binged. Now, will move to Jessica Jones Season 2 and hope that's better.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc   DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc - Page 18 EmptyThu 29 Mar 2018 - 16:42

I too saw Black Panther recently, and - what's that? Y'all have moved on? Oh, okay. Embarrassed

But seriously, in addition to all the other stuff you've probably been saying (good message in this era, good to have a black people-centric superhero film, Ulysses Klaue quietly being a great character), it was nice to have a Marvel superhero film without all the baggage of the expanded univoise. I saw the trailer for whatever the big big punch-up is, and I can't wait to spend about five seconds getting to know every character. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc   DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc - Page 18 EmptyThu 29 Mar 2018 - 18:31

I think you're being a wee bit unfair on Infinity War there, it's not really meant to be standalone, but rather a celebration of everything that has come before and an end to an era.  Don't get me wrong I'm not saying you're wrong to not care, not everyone's into the whole big connected stuff as you said, I just feel it's an unfair shot to take.  It's basically going to be the Smash Bros of Marvel movies, everyone's had their movies to establish themselves and their characters and now it's time to smash those toys together!  

But yeah, Klaue was low-key the mvp of the movie.

Speaking of that, in the last week I've concluded watching all the important stuff in the MCU and am officially ready for Thanos and his mission to claim the Infinity Mitten!  

Captain America 3 was great, another action movie with excellent political commentary.  At times it felt like it could have gotten itself lost and forgotten that it was a Captain America movie rather than a Avengers movie (although the airport scene was awesome), but the dramatic and emotional end with Stark and Rogers going head to head fixed that (it's going to really hurt when either one or both of these guys die to Thanos next month).  

Meanwhile Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was another ridiculous and great sci-fi comedy.  I'll admit I think I preferred the first one, although there was a ton to love and plenty of parts of the movie had me howling.  The reveal about Star Lord's you-know-what had my jaw on the floor.  

Official Rankings of the ones I've watched anyway...

Spoiler:

A shocking top spot I know.   Winky Face   I would however hasten to add to that list that besides the first thor movie I've enjoyed all of them, just the top ones are going to be rewatched more than the lower ones.  And no, that isn't a typo, that many films tied.  

Oh, and I've been watching The Flash tv series too.  Good stuff, its embraced the dorky side of comicbooks and made something really fun to watch with that unique blend of cornyness and drama that comics have.  Barry's an endearing and really likeable protagonist and the supporting cast are spot on for the show.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc   DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc - Page 18 EmptyThu 29 Mar 2018 - 18:57

I love The Flash TV series. It started up again about four weeks ago and made me realise how much I’ve missed it - likewise Supergirl. They’re doing good work.

It’s also clear that I’m going to have to watch Spider-Man Homecoming again - I don’t think that much of it but have probably missed some of its subtleties. Embarrassed
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc   DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc - Page 18 EmptyThu 29 Mar 2018 - 20:06

Spidey warrants a rewatch from me purely for the scene with Peter getting driven to his homecoming dance. Tense as hell.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc   DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc - Page 18 EmptyThu 29 Mar 2018 - 20:18

I really need to get some marvel box sets, I don't own a single one and I really should considering how much I love rewatching them. I'm quite tempted to start with Ragnarok after seeing some of the Taika Waititi Directors commentary on twitter, looks brilliant.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc   DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc - Page 18 EmptyFri 30 Mar 2018 - 1:30

I'm with Athrun on Infinity War. That many characters wouldn't work if it was a Justice League situation and they all turned up at once, but this is a big conclusion to a decade of films.

ZeroJones wrote:
It’s also clear that I’m going to have to watch Spider-Man Homecoming again - I don’t think that much of it but have probably missed some of its subtleties. Embarrassed

For me it was a combination of Peter's characterisation being absolutely spot-on and the fact that all of Spidey's heroics were primarily about saving people, not just battering somone. That and . . .

JayMoyles wrote:
Spidey warrants a rewatch from me purely for the scene with Peter getting driven to his homecoming dance. Tense as hell.

Phenomenal scene.

Crumpy Andy wrote:
I'm quite tempted to start with Ragnarok after seeing some of the Taika Waititi Directors commentary on twitter, looks brilliant.

Same. Looks like one of those classic comedy situations where the commentary just gives you a whole extra film's worth of laughs.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc   DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc - Page 18 EmptyFri 30 Mar 2018 - 17:33

Trouble is, I like the Marvel films for what they do with the characters. I'm not sure that'll work in a big brawl. Plus: I presume Hawkeye and Black Widow will be back to bore me to tears.

With Smash Bros., it's different because I get as long as I need to play with each character, and the joy is in getting to know them that way. With a film, the joy would be in seeing the crossovers and how they interact. I just don't think there'll be time in a three-hour-er, even though obviously some of the interactions have already happened.

Perhaps I was a little harsh. I just think it probably won't be for me.

I do need to see Winter Soldier, mind. And I really liked both GotG films! Partly because the raccoon is my spirit animal. Rocky + Groot = best tagteam.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc   DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc - Page 18 EmptySat 31 Mar 2018 - 0:54

I just finished watching Spider-man homecoming for the first time & yup I can only agree with everything Athrun and everyone else has said above, top stuff and I'm excited to see where they take it next.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc   DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc - Page 18 EmptyTue 3 Apr 2018 - 9:50

Unlike Punisher, I've finished watching Jessica Jones Season 2 in just 3 days.

After coming of Punisher, I think it may have made Jessica seem better then it really is, in the grand scheme of Marvel Netflix shows.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc   DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc - Page 18 EmptyThu 5 Apr 2018 - 7:36

Well, what do you know? I start suggesting I want to rewatch Spider-Man: Homecoming and it comes to Sky very soon afterwards. Cool Recorded and rewatched, if you please.

Marvel movies have conditioned me to expect massive stakes but I think I'm over that now, which is good, because it's even harder to appreciate the film otherwise. Still slightly unsure, and I don't know why, exactly. There are some totally hilarious bits and some great action, after all, and Peter goes through a great arc. There are two things I can pinpoint: a), Tom Holland uses a particularly whiny voice that grates on me (small, I know), and b)

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc   DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc - Page 18 EmptyThu 5 Apr 2018 - 11:22

Regarding your spoiler, that was one of my favourite things about the whole film! All the film's big action setpieces are about Spidey saving people, not about who he can beat up and fight. Spider-man is the greatest superhero not because of his powers, his fighting ability or even his smarts, but because of his heart. He feels a responsibility to help everyone around him, good or bad.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc   DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc - Page 18 EmptyThu 5 Apr 2018 - 19:55

ZeroJones wrote:
Well, what do you know? I start suggesting I want to rewatch Spider-Man: Homecoming and it comes to Sky very soon afterwards. Cool Recorded and rewatched, if you please.

Marvel movies have conditioned me to expect massive stakes but I think I'm over that now, which is good, because it's even harder to appreciate the film otherwise. Still slightly unsure, and I don't know why, exactly. There are some totally hilarious bits and some great action, after all, and Peter goes through a great arc. There are two things I can pinpoint: a), Tom Holland uses a particularly whiny voice that grates on me (small, I know), and b)

Spoiler:

Spider-man spoiler chat:
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc   DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc - Page 18 EmptySat 7 Apr 2018 - 11:00

I've thought about it even more, and the two times in the film Spider-Man actively sets out to fight people rather than to protect someone, he makes the situation worse (the bank and the boat).
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc   DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc - Page 18 EmptySat 7 Apr 2018 - 11:15

I’m coming to a realisation here - Spider-Man: Homecoming is not a superhero film. It’s a coming-of-age type drama that has superheroes in it. The most mature of Peter’s decisions is right at the end: he has come of age! I get it now, and probably have to see it for a third time through this new lens. Thank you for helping me to this point!

I promise you that none of what I just typed was sarcastic! Embarrassed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc   DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc - Page 18 Empty

Back to top Go down

DC, MARVEL, Dark Horse Comics / Graphic Novels, TV Shows, Movies etc
Page 18 of 25Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 21 ... 25  Next