We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread

Go down 
+20
JayMoyles
Kriken
The_Jaster
Gwyn400
Muss
Buskalilly
ZeroJones
Pineapple
flora-chan
Slazo
Axis1500
Sentinator
NintenDUCK
Sylveon
masofdas
beemoh
fronkhead
shanks
Crumpy Andy
Athrun888
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 24 ... 28  Next
AuthorMessage
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 20 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 20 EmptyFri 24 Apr 2020 - 3:16

Double post/bump!

A new batch of seasonal anime is in full swing and yer boy has actually checked out a few of them to recommend to you lovely lot.

Kaguya-sama: Love is War S2: Easy recommendation. Series one was hilarious and this is continuing on that same path. I said "get it watched" looking at my Winter 2019 round-up from last year and that still rings true. It's basically "what if Death Note was a romcom?" and it's amazing. I maintain - get it watched.

Tower of God: This was a pleasant surprise. The first episode was confusing as all hell, but I've stuck with it and found myself really enjoying the mysteries of the show. The premise is that a group of warriors are tasked with climbing the titular tower with the prize awaiting anyone who reaches the peak being the ability to fulfil any wish they desire. To reach the top, they've got to duke it out with the other combatants in different events. The characters are all really fun and there's fresh questions being raised each episode that I'm actually looking forward to finding out the answer to. Worth checking out the first few episodes to see if you'll like it.

Digimon Adventure (2020): Me and Buska have chatted a bit about this in the Digimon thread. It's been alright so far, but definitely requires prior knowledge of the OG series to enjoy.

My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!: I've only watched the opening episode so far, but it seems like it'll be fun! The setup is that a teenage shut-in girl dies in a car accident and is reincarnated in a fantasy world (yes, it's another fucking isekai) but she quickly figures out that she's been reincarnated as the villainess of a romance visual novel that she's played. In the game, the villainess is either executed or exiled in all of the game's endings, so she's focusing on changing her fate to avoid being doomed. Could be a fun watch - I'll report back if not.

Gleipnir: This is a really trashy show in the same sort of vein as Darling in the FRANXX. The plot is that a high school student has a secret power where he can transform into a mascot costume/monster thing and has his strength and sense of smell enhanced when he transforms. A girl in his school finds out his secret and threatens to out his transformation unless he helps her investigate these mysterious coins that have been appearing all over town which seem to attract monsters like the protagonist. There's far too much fanservice for my tastes, but the fight scenes have been smoothly animated and the plot is actually somewhat interesting, so I'm sticking with it. I was burned before with DitF, so I'm being cautious.

There's two more shows I plan to check out which are Appare-Ranman, which is a rat race premise show, and Sing Yesterday for Me which I know nothing about but has been praised for having well written characters, being an emotional rollercoaster and being written about 20 something adults trying to find their place in life which is rare for anime considering its focus on teenagers for the most part. I'll report back if those two are worth a watch.

What's everyone else been watching lately in the world of anime?
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 20 EmptyFri 24 Apr 2020 - 10:38

I really need to watch some again even if just what's on Netflix that mean missing Fruits Basket S2 on FUN as so much to watch without another streaming service.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 20 EmptyFri 24 Apr 2020 - 13:41

JayMoyles wrote:
My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!: I've only watched the opening episode so far, but it seems like it'll be fun! The setup is that a teenage shut-in girl dies in a car accident and is reincarnated in a fantasy world (yes, it's another fucking isekai) but she quickly figures out that she's been reincarnated as the villainess of a romance visual novel that she's played. In the game, the villainess is either executed or exiled in all of the game's endings, so she's focusing on changing her fate to avoid being doomed. Could be a fun watch - I'll report back if not.

Genuinely pretty interested in this.

I've just had two anime films land on my doorstep: The Tale of Princess Kaguya and The Girl who Leapt Through Time. Thoughts soon.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 20 EmptyTue 28 Apr 2020 - 17:23

Balladeer wrote:
JayMoyles wrote:

Genuinely pretty interested in this.

I watched the second episode - it's still fun! It's a light-hearted comedic sort of show but the premise keeps it from feeling totally cliched. The main character inadvertently woos one of the local heiress's by using the same bit of dialogue as that character's love interest, which causes that character's love interest to get mad at the protagonist. There was also a piano battle.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 20 EmptyTue 28 Apr 2020 - 17:27

JayMoyles wrote:
There was also a piano battle.

SOLD
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 20 EmptyTue 28 Apr 2020 - 17:42

The OP also has the opening notes of Beethoven's 5th in it, bizarrely.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 20 EmptyMon 13 Jul 2020 - 23:08

I've not watched a lot of anime for ages but just binged studio triggers BNA.

It's a rather good anime, and not as let's say furry focused beastars if you're worried about that.

Has me keen to watch some more anime, likely just what's on Netflix and might buy Promare though.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 20 EmptyTue 14 Jul 2020 - 12:07

We just watched Haikyuu (season 1 is on netflix, the rest is on crunchy roll although they haven't finished the latest season yet:x ). Good excitable Volleyball anime that one.

We also finished Attack on Titan and are now waiting for season 4 like the rest of the non-reader world.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 20 EmptyThu 16 Jul 2020 - 20:13

Like y'all I've been watching anime on Netflix - in my case Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.  I've never seen beyond season 2, The Lady's never seen any of it, and we couldn't pick anything else out of Netflix: our first pick had the 'hero' squeezing an unconscious woman's breast ten minutes in Rolling Eyes , The Lady has a big cannibalism no-no which rules out AoT, and we were all set to watch Beastars before the trigger warnings cropped up and we decided maybe we didn't fancy sexual violence between mammals.  

Anyway, FMAB.  I'm never sure where I stand on it relative to Fullmetal Alchemist, the original that departed from the manga's plotline and (relative rarity) managed to do it without being bobbins.  We've just reached the first main character's death, and I recall that - and the series in general - being better paced in FMA.  Also Envy's true form is more interesting and less... ridiculous.  FMAB does have an interesting hook with the dark creature behind the door, though.  Still enjoying it!
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 20 EmptyFri 17 Jul 2020 - 0:21

Beastars is disgustingly terrible. You made the right decision avoiding it at all costs.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 20 EmptyFri 17 Jul 2020 - 8:14

I didn't mind beastars at all but I know what Buska would say Mas is a Sonic fan so don't count as he loves the furries.

Can't remember what Jay thought of it, but as I say BNA is sort of the same but lighter in tone.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 20 EmptyFri 17 Jul 2020 - 18:39

Ooh, why's it so bad?
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 20 EmptySat 18 Jul 2020 - 17:48

Muss wrote:
We just watched Haikyuu (season 1 is on netflix, the rest is on crunchy roll although they haven't finished the latest season yet:x ). Good excitable Volleyball anime that one.

We also finished Attack on Titan and are now waiting for season 4 like the rest of the non-reader world.

Haikyuu is one on my list, for sure. It's meant to be the best sports anime going. I recommend Run with the Wind on Crunchyroll if you're looking for a similar show - it's one of my favourite anime shows.

Have you read any of the manga at all? If not, I'd love to know your thoughts on how S3.5 ended! Pop it in a spoiler box.

Balladeer wrote:

Anyway, FMAB.  I'm never sure where I stand on it relative to Fullmetal Alchemist, the original that departed from the manga's plotline and (relative rarity) managed to do it without being bobbins.  We've just reached the first main character's death, and I recall that - and the series in general - being better paced in FMA.  Also Envy's true form is more interesting and less... ridiculous.  FMAB does have an interesting hook with the dark creature behind the door, though.  Still enjoying it!

FMA:B is the number one rated show on multiple anime sites, so I can only presume it's a good 'un.

masofdas wrote:

Can't remember what Jay thought of it, but as I say BNA is sort of the same but lighter in tone.

I haven't watched Beastars. I heard it was a solid watch if you can get past the furry barrier, but I'd be interested to know why it's so bad too!

I finished watching Tower of God on Crunchyroll (great animation, neat premise, I think I wrote about it elsewhere in the thread) and Kaguya S2 on Funimation (get it watched), but I didn't end up watching much last season.

The Digimon reboot has kicked off again so I'll get back on board with that and I enjoyed the first two episodes of The God Of High School on Crunchyroll. Crunchyroll got the rights to a few manhwas which are Korean mangas and have been adapting them. TGoHS is one such adaptation - it's basically an incredibly over the top fighting tournament show. I'm enjoying it so far, but I'll give more thoughts on it later. I'm catching up Re:Zero S1 as S2 is now airing and it's one of the most hyped series around right now. Again, more thoughts on that later!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 20 EmptySun 19 Jul 2020 - 18:06

Muss can likely articulate why better than me.

As I've now watched BNA, looking for some recommendations on Netflix?
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 20 EmptyFri 24 Jul 2020 - 12:18

Beastars: I didn't finish it, probably got about half way through it.

JayMoyles wrote:
I heard it was a solid watch if you can get past the furry barrier

Depends how you define furry barrier. That there are a load of animals doesn't bother me, but it's about episode 3, if that, where you get your first awkward sexy bunny scene - which comes out of the blue and doesn't really fit either of the characters involved.

And that's kind of it, the characters aren't interesting and/or are given some contradictory traits which aren't reconciled with particularly well. At which point I'm left with the world building, which is ok, and it's propensity to do some shock - e.g., furry shit or carnivore cravings.

It might be well animated, but that's not enough when there are many other shows that you could be watching instead.

FMA: B is really good. I can't compare it to any of the other iterations of the story, because it's the only one that I have watched, but it's great.

JayMoyles wrote:
Haikyuu is one on my list, for sure. It's meant to be the best sports anime going. I recommend Run with the Wind on Crunchyroll if you're looking for a similar show - it's one of my favourite anime shows.

Have you read any of the manga at all? If not, I'd love to know your thoughts on how S3.5 ended! Pop it in a spoiler box.

I have not read any of the manga for Haikyuu. Season 3.5 ends in a bit of a weird spot and the season at large has been a bit weird, splitting off the main cast for large chunks of it. But still good and I'm excited to see where it goes. Saw that it was trending on Twitter in the US when the manga ended.

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 20 EmptySat 25 Jul 2020 - 19:59

Muss wrote:
...awkward sexy bunny scene...

...it's propensity to do some shock...

Noping out of there hard.

Muss wrote:
FMA: B is really good. I can't compare it to any of the other iterations of the story, because it's the only one that I have watched, but it's great.

It's kind of hitting its stride at this point (episode 1 Season 2), but it has an awkward propensity to go into 'simplified' art style at points and I just think it looks really bad.  The moments aren't all fitting either.

The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 20 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2Fac%2F12%2F93%2Fac1293f97b9457358706ce0345b69e20

If they do it to Scar I riot.
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 20 EmptySun 26 Jul 2020 - 12:05

Pretty sure they never do it with Scar so you should be alright. At worst, it'll be scar in juxtaposition to it.

I don't think I was a fan of it at first but it grew on me. In general, I'm not super into the sudden art shifts that you get in Anime but sometimes they're alright.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 20 EmptyFri 28 Aug 2020 - 11:34

Just finished FMAB (no they don't do it to Scar thank Leto) and wow. I'd say around the end of Season 2 it goes from pretty decent with annoying bits to Best Anime Contender. Now it's done and I don't know what to watch next. Not sure much will match up to be honest. Top-tier.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 20 EmptyFri 28 Aug 2020 - 12:45

Yeah I needed a break after FMAB, banger.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 20 EmptySun 30 Aug 2020 - 19:33

After bouncing off Mob Psycho 100 due to not liking the art style much, we've settled on Bleach as a nice, short, breezy palate cleanser between big animes. I've heard that it might be okay. Shifty
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 20 EmptySun 30 Aug 2020 - 22:13

Noooo, you need to stick with MP100! The animation in the more action heavy scenes is top notch and it's up there visually with some of the best animation I've ever seen.
Seriously, it's jaw-droppingly good.

S2 made me cry at least a couple of times with some of its more emotional character driven moments too.

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 20 EmptyMon 31 Aug 2020 - 10:15

Oh yes, the animation in that opening sequence particularly is great; but it's the art style that doesn't work for me, sadly.  Mob carries it off but the other characters get a big shrug.  

Also, we're into the second episode and both the high school drama and Arakata's shenanigans are already irritating.  How long do those take to get better?  And how long does it take for there to be actual threat?  Saitama being so powerful that it felt like there was no genuine danger was the main reason I fell off the One Punch Man wagon.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 20 EmptyThu 3 Sep 2020 - 0:45

The high school elements improve quickly and don't really stick around as the focus - it becomes more about Mob and how he manages his emotions. Reigen's shtick is more or less the same throughout, but there's some whopper jokes coming up - there's a bit near the end of S1 that is the hardest I've ever laughed watching anime - and S2 really develops him as a character. There's a Reigen-centric arc in S2 that was responsible for making me well up big time.

As for the threats, they'll come in the back half of S1. Don't worry - there's none of the infallibility of Saitama here as Mob has genuine flaws as a character and he clearly cares a lot about his friends who also get wrapped up in his troubles.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 20 EmptyThu 3 Sep 2020 - 11:21

One day I might go back to watching actual good anime, but

A) I can read a manga much faster than I can watch an anime
B) I usually don't even bother to do that
C) If I do read a manga, I ought to try to do it in Japanese
D) There's so much Digimon to watch!
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 20 EmptyThu 3 Sep 2020 - 19:19

I should get back on board with Digimon. Then again, I'm never going to recoup the costs of the DVDs I bought, shortly before converting full-time to the subs...

Anyway, on Jay's recommendation we've carried on a bit with Mob and are enjoying it more. Bleach has more high-school nonsense than Mob does at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread   The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread - Page 20 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Anime/Manga/Related Merchandise Thread
Page 20 of 28Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 24 ... 28  Next