We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Generic General Pokemon Discussion

Go down 
+18
NintenDUCK
Buskalilly
The_Jaster
Jimbob
oldschool
JayMoyles
Crumpy Andy
Admin
masofdas
Zaphod_B
Rum
Vidofnir
Cube
beemoh
shanks
ZeroJones
Balladeer
Athrun888
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 EmptyFri 11 Apr 2014 - 13:54

Absol, Absol, Absol. Tongue 

If I'm not allowed that, and mega-Absol isn't allowed to fill another slot, then Chandelure for second, and Sneasel just beats out Blaziken for third.  I like dark types, especially those that mix intimidating with cute or pretty.

Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 Pkmn_sweet_chandelure_by_time_travlur_kid-d37vran

This may or may not be a useful reference piece.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Vidofnir
Flock Step Bird
Vidofnir

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 EmptySat 12 Apr 2014 - 3:18

Hmm, mine are quite Unusual...

1) Murkrow
2) Weezing
3) Arcanine

Of course I like the gen 1+2 poke's better as I have more memories built up of them from the games and TV show.

Poison is my favourite type, I like the general deep purple colours and patterns they have. Raising them in game is quite a challenge and the moves they learn are diverse and also surprising at times.
Weezing encapsulates this in its strange ability to use both flamethrower and thunderbolt as well as weird moves such as haze.

Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 EmptySat 12 Apr 2014 - 7:54

In no partickler order...

• Bulbasaur, who was my starter on Red many, many years ago;
  • Eevee, for the great ideal that something/one can change into a number of different brilliant things; and
  • Tangrowth, for being the best of something that seems to have died out: new permanent evolutions/prevolutions of older Pokémon.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 EmptySat 12 Apr 2014 - 9:53

Ok, so, my three:

Ampharos: I like Mareep a lot, but I also like his final evolution because he is so dopey - and they gave him a Mega Evolution, so he's part dragon, and still looks like a dope but has beautiful flowing hair and some extra knobbly bits. Perfect!

Aurorus: A massive rock/ice brontosaurus with an awesome cry. For those that think later Pokemon design is lazy, I'd point you to examples like Aurorus to show that not all of it is weird!

Bulbasaur: Purely nostalgia. Bulbasaur's a wee cutie.

Honorable mentions to Sawsbuck, Meganium, Ninetales, Galvantula, Vespiquen, Spheal, Altaria, Lugia... There are a lot of Pokemon I like. Not surprising since there are now over 700 of them.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 EmptySat 12 Apr 2014 - 10:44

So much Bulbasaur love. It was my first starter back in the day too, but it's a rather ugly blue hippopotamus that evolved into, from my viewpoint, and indistinguishable mess.

Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 Spr_b_g1_003

I don't get it. Smugleaf is the best grass starter, in my mind, and also has the best final evolution.

Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 459376d73176f757e382654aed9d41416407f0e11499b2dd14c332789e4304e4
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 EmptySat 12 Apr 2014 - 10:45

Bulbasaur will always be #001 in my heart.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 EmptySat 12 Apr 2014 - 10:50

Balladeer wrote:
So much Bulbasaur love.  It was my first starter back in the day too, but it's a rather ugly blue hippopotamus that evolved into, from my viewpoint, and indistinguishable mess.

Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 Spr_b_g1_003

Your mum is a rather ugly blue hippopotamus that evolved into an indistinguishable mess.

Seriously though, the back view of pretty much all the Pokemon in RBY was rubbish.
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 EmptySat 12 Apr 2014 - 10:55

Well you know what my favorite is so..

1) Glaceon (duh)
2) Latias ever since I saw the 5th movie she became one of my favorite
3) Squirtle as it was my first starter
4) Sylveon
5) Superior
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 EmptySat 12 Apr 2014 - 11:01

Rum Rapture wrote:
Seriously though, the back view of pretty much all the Pokemon in RBY was rubbish.

Yes, but the front view of Bulbasaur is still rubbish!

Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 Tumblr_m7epojgqU11qelkf9o1_400

Nah, not rubbish.  Just average.

Also this week's music week is relevant to this discussion. Just thought I'd throw that out there. Whistle 
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 EmptySat 12 Apr 2014 - 13:59

On a non-current subject note I'm still baffled as to why smogon let manaphy back in ou, it's hilariously bulky under rain.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 EmptySat 12 Apr 2014 - 20:21

If we're doing non-current subject things, let this be known: my girlfriend beat the Johto Elite Four last night in a fairly nail-biting finish. Soul Silver is the first video game she's ever completed! This morning, at her request, I bought a copy of Pokémon Black... only to find out that the guy in GAME had put in a copy of White when she put it in her DS. Hissy fit
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 EmptySat 12 Apr 2014 - 20:31

Yes, I can see why she might not want the almighty conch dragon.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 EmptyMon 14 Apr 2014 - 10:46

Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 10150581_652071991534175_7211356062430907632_n
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 EmptyMon 14 Apr 2014 - 11:30

In a similar vein I once called a Pokémon Jesus, purely so the phrase "What will Jesus do?" popped up now and again. Nearly funny.

Oh, and, we got White changed for Black. Initially thought the best way to phrase that was "My girlfriend is now Blacked up!" Shocked :affraid: Embarrassed :homer:
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 EmptyMon 14 Apr 2014 - 12:21

Your girlfriend isn't a Jynx, by any chance?

Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 725699181490f08e5f4cfa6abc672d0b1360567857_full
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 EmptyMon 14 Apr 2014 - 13:13

No, and, lock please! :affraid:
Back to top Go down
Vidofnir
Flock Step Bird
Vidofnir

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 EmptyMon 14 Apr 2014 - 17:59

Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 040

Gen 1 sprites are clearly brilliant.

Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 067
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 EmptyTue 15 Apr 2014 - 8:55

The machoke is still less freaky than his XY amie version. That is just plain creepy!  Aww! 
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 EmptyTue 15 Apr 2014 - 12:29

Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 H50C8ED09
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed 16 Apr 2014 - 7:04

Pale Pale Pale 

So, twitch plays pokemon firered random. Anyone following it? I keep checking in once every so often, they just whited out in the cave between cerulean and lavander town against a collector's swablu after it survived a flamethrower from their sandslash by what must have been a single hp.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed 16 Apr 2014 - 8:05

I was checking up on things right up until Emerald, but I can no longer be bothered, I'm afraid. If they go back to Twitch Plays Catz I might give it another look. That was hilarious. Laughing 

Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 Ya1AOdM
Back to top Go down
Zaphod_B
Wonderful
Zaphod_B

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 EmptyWed 16 Apr 2014 - 11:06

Pokemon related freebies anyone? http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/03/magmar_and_electabuzz_set_for_pokemon_x_and_y_distribution_event_at_game_in_uk
I like this sort of promotion personally, though they are rare these days. Might pop into my local GAME on Friday see if I can grab the trading card for my little sister as well as the magmar/electabuzz code.

Oh, and late to the pokeparty but my personal top 3:
1)Blastoise (A turtle. With cannons.)
2)Squirtle (Cannons trump cuteness. Just. Also my first starter, natch)
3)Snorlax (Love how few f**ks he gives about pester balls in Snap)
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 EmptyMon 21 Apr 2014 - 15:13

So, another discussion point, what's everyone's favourite approach to the games?  Do you stop to take in the sights and try to catch everything everywhere?  Do you rush the games?  And in battle do you prefer to be a aggressive player who tries to topple opponents with brute force or do you try to play more tactically?  

Also as a bonus, awesome giratina wallpaper!
Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 JqQyyO4m2N12C
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 EmptyMon 21 Apr 2014 - 16:41

My playstyle changes with the game, as I age and want to experience them differently.  Current approach is to hoover up every item, fight every trainer, and catch every new Pokémon's base form to see how it fares, and whether I want it in my team.  But I'm generally fairly impatient, so I do all of this at pace and get impatient when something (like, ooh I dunno, compulsory tutorials, or idiot dialogue from your idiot friends) holds me up.  And then I hardly ever play the post-game, beyond the stated quests.

As for battle style, I'll keep the odd status move around (attack boosters like Swords Dance, paralysis or sleep - poison and burn are too slow), and then fill the remaining slots with coverage.  I like to keep the same team, so I'll generally have the HMs scattered through my team's movesets, and then get rid of Cut and Rock Smash when I hit the big battles.

Zaphod's another one letting nostalgia trump common sense. There are many cuter Pooglemans than Squirtle:

Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 173Cleffa
Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 250px-162Furret
Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 Goomy
Back to top Go down
Vidofnir
Flock Step Bird
Vidofnir

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 EmptyMon 21 Apr 2014 - 18:56

Approach to the games huh. What an interesting question.

I always talk to every NPC in the game and try and explore every area, some of the dialogue can be funny or raise serious questions. I really miss my younger, naive approach to the game in which I would just use my favourite pokemon and I didn't know all the type matchups.

My movesets usually consist of two status moves and two attacking moves, tending to stick to STAB unless the pokemon really has an attack/sp.attack stat that can use any attack. I avoid using the Dragon type and prefer more quirky or strange pokemon on my team.

I enjoy a slow pace to the game though often end up rushing right through it and regretting that play style.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Generic General Pokemon Discussion   Generic General Pokemon Discussion - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Generic General Pokemon Discussion
Page 2 of 15Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next