We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8

Go down 
+11
The_Jaster
masofdas
Rum
shanks
fronkhead
ZeroJones
The Cappuccino Kid
JayMoyles
Crumpy Andy
Balladeer
Dusty Knackers
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8   kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 EmptyWed 7 May 2014 - 10:35

This was the first Mario Kart I played at the time, although I've gone back and dabbled with the preceeding three a little. It didn't get as much as play as the Wii one has had, because I didn't have friends over as regularly then as I do now. Everything everyone else has said is spot on though; the sheer bonkers-ness of this game really shines, even now. And it looks great, too, maybe even better than the Wii one. Mario Kart always made more sense on home consoles, even when the handheld ones are better, so this is the game for 8 to beat.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8   kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 EmptyWed 7 May 2014 - 10:54

I loved Double Dash and I spent many a gaming session playing it with my brother. Also fond memories of the All Cup which I don't think we've seen since Sad
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8   kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 EmptyWed 7 May 2014 - 12:21

Love me some double dash, especially some multiplayer.

Drunka how come MK:DD was your first, didn't you start gaming on SNES (thinking of your age).
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8   kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 EmptyWed 7 May 2014 - 12:26

He's younger than I am, and I only started with the 64!
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8   kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 EmptyWed 7 May 2014 - 12:57

I still love DD!!
Back to top Go down
Dusty Knackers
Bandana Waddle Dee
Dusty Knackers

PostSubject: Re: The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8   kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 EmptyWed 7 May 2014 - 16:00

I took it for a spin the other night to give myself something to talk about, and I was reminded why I dislike key elements of the game so much. Cars are slow, handling is horribly sluggish, and not being able to jump in to powerslides feels so odd.

On the plus side, Double Dash!! gave us some of the best tracks of any Mario Kart game: Mushroom Bridge, Peach Beach, Mario Circuit, Mushroom City, Baby Park, Yoshi Circuit, DK Mountain. And a superb multiplayer mode in Shine Thief, I'd give anything to have this back, it was a blast.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8   kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 EmptyWed 7 May 2014 - 17:53

Just like others I had good times on double dash! especially the multiplayer where me & my brother would co-op the races usually swapping who drives on each lap/race depending on how we felt about a track.

Also two to a kart explains the no hop drift Winky Face
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8   kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 EmptyWed 7 May 2014 - 17:54

masofdas wrote:
Love me some double dash, especially some multiplayer.

Drunka how come MK:DD was your first, didn't you start gaming on SNES (thinking of your age).
Before the GameCube, I didn't have any home consoles. My nan had a master system and my dad had (and I think still has) a PS1 but I only had a Game Boy. I think I dabbled in the SNES and N64 games around friend's houses, but they would never be my first choice.
Back to top Go down
Rum
Disciple of Greener
Rum

PostSubject: Re: The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8   kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 EmptyFri 9 May 2014 - 1:53

andyman949 wrote:
Also fond memories of the All Cup which I don't think we've seen since Sad

Yes! That's what I was going to say. Although in the games following DD they all had 32 tracks instead of 16, so I guess that is better on balance.

I liked DD because it was such a progression from 64. Like that jump on DK Mountain - compare that to the one from Royal Raceway and it's so much... better.
Back to top Go down
Dusty Knackers
Bandana Waddle Dee
Dusty Knackers

PostSubject: Re: The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8   kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 EmptyFri 9 May 2014 - 4:27

Programming note: Today's the last day to discuss Double Dash!! Tomorrow, and every Saturday from now on, I'll be posting the intros for the final three Mario Kart games to date.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8   kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 EmptyFri 9 May 2014 - 20:25

Baby Park was quality, wasn't it? And the chain chomp was neater, and made more sense, than the bullet bill.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8   kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 EmptyFri 9 May 2014 - 21:40

Bowser shells in Baby Park. Brilliant. Now, if they included that in MK8, it would have been a decent battle arena.
Back to top Go down
Dusty Knackers
Bandana Waddle Dee
Dusty Knackers

PostSubject: Re: The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8   kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 EmptySat 10 May 2014 - 15:58

Mario Kart DS, Nintendo DS (2005)

kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 Mario_Kart_DS_(EU)

A little over two years later, Mario Kart arrived on the DS, Nintendo's trailblazing dual screen system. Mario Kart DS went back to basics, gone were the two character vehicles, and back came the karts that made the series a staple of Nintendo consoles.

kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 A_med_1foured kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 Mario_kart_ds_screen

This 64-bit offering included a brand new Mission Mode, it charged players with the task of completing specific tasks, ranging from collecting coins to defeating bosses. Online multiplayer was taken to different heights in DS, giving players the chance to play with friends and strangers from anywhere in the world.

kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 Mario-kart-ds-2   kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 Mario-kart-ds1

What were your experiences with Mario Kart DS like? As always, share your stories, tales and opinions below.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8   kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 EmptySat 10 May 2014 - 18:26

An odd one, this.  I didn't take to it, despite playing more local multiplayer on it than on any Mario Kart before or since.  It seemed to lack soul compared to other entries.  I liked the map thing, I liked some of the tracks (Peach Gardens stands out), and I absolutely adored Mission Mode (bring back for MK9 plz?), but the package as a whole left me cold.

Also, snaking.

Also, DK's face.

kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 Mario_kart_ds_16
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8   kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 EmptySat 10 May 2014 - 18:40

I loved MKDS, I poured hours and hours into it both single and DS download play multiplayer. Loved the reward of being able to play as any character in any car as well. As Balla said the mission mode was pretty cool too.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8   kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 EmptySat 10 May 2014 - 18:43

andyman949 wrote:
Loved the reward of being able to play as any character in any car as well.

I didn't like this, actually.  I abused the heck out of it in local MP, playing as Bowser in the Dry Bomber; but it felt wrong shoving his fat spikey backside into the tiny karts, and vice versa.  If they'd kept it with each character having three vehicles to choose from, I'd have preferred that.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8   kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 EmptySat 10 May 2014 - 19:46

LOVED this. Probably one of my most played games of all time. Beat everything in this game, right down to the staff ghosts. There was a time to beat in NOM for the Chain Chomp Challenges wherein I gave myself a legit friction burn from power sliding.

Also, hating on this game for the snaking is way worse than disliking Meteos for the scrubbing.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8   kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 EmptySun 11 May 2014 - 8:25

Bought Mario Kart DS with Tetris DS, not so very long ago. My dislike of handheld Mario Karts actually started there: having been raised on the big screen first, I felt there was something unsatisfying about being reduced to the wee screen. The DS's famed reluctance to get on-line may also have played a role - I never did any multiplayer with it. Looking back, I never really gave it a chance - this Mission Mode y'all are talking about never got touched, for example, which is a massive shame as it sounds awesome. I no longer own it, either (which is also the fate of 7, as it happens).
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8   kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 EmptySun 11 May 2014 - 12:35

I had a bit of a fickle thing with MKDS, one minute I'd love it and play it a lot then the next I'd get real bored with it and that was it for months on end. To me it lacked something
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8   kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 EmptySun 11 May 2014 - 13:31

Drunkalilly wrote:
Also, hating on this game for the snaking is way worse than disliking Meteos for the scrubbing.

I disagree, for one big reason: online. In the same room, you can punch somebody in the arm if they snake/scrub. You can't do that over the web. Meteos doesn't have online; MKDS does. That said, it was never much of a problem for me because I didn't play it online much.
Back to top Go down
Dusty Knackers
Bandana Waddle Dee
Dusty Knackers

PostSubject: Re: The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8   kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 EmptyMon 12 May 2014 - 14:44

Like Super Circuit, this is a tough one for me to properly judge as I didn't get me hands on it until 2011. It's a solid enough racer, but like SC, it seems to lack that Mario Kart spark: something feels like it's missing. As for Mission Mode that everyone harps on about, I don't get the love for it, it's not something I'm clambering for a return of.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8   kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 EmptyWed 14 May 2014 - 13:04

Just in case you're all not already sick of this phase I'm going through, here's a poem I wrote about Mario Kart DS.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8   kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 EmptyWed 14 May 2014 - 13:30

Gave up on the rhyming in the middle paragraph there. Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8   kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 EmptyWed 14 May 2014 - 13:36

Godamnit. I meant to swap lines two and three. You saw nothing!
Back to top Go down
Dusty Knackers
Bandana Waddle Dee
Dusty Knackers

PostSubject: Re: The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8   kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 EmptySat 17 May 2014 - 16:40

Mario Kart Wii, Nintendo Wii (2008)

kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 5hG28lk

The sixth installment of Mario Kart was released in April 2008, on the Nintendo Wii (which itself launched a few months earlier). At the time, the Wii was the hottest ticket in town, thanks to its revolutionary motion sensitive controller, the Wiimote. MK Wii made use of the remote, coming packaged with a plastic steering wheel shell in to which the Wiimote could be placed.

kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 N1YNpIm    kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 Mario_kart_wii5

Mario Kart Wii changed some staple of the series. Firstly, the number of participants per race was increased from eight to twelve. It also saw the debut of bikes to the series, a controversial addition for a number of reasons, including their ability to wheelie, which made them faster than karts over straights.

kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 3997   kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 Mkwii

Mario Kart Wii's online play build upon the groundwork that was laid by its predecessor, but also added the Mario Kart Wii Channel: a standalone app that lived on the Wii's menu screen. Here you could play in special tournament, race against special ghosts, and take part in Nintendo created challenges.

kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 Wii_mario_kart_wii_screenshot_001    kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 Hqdefault

Mario Kart Wii: how did you feel about it? Did you like the addition of bikes? Were you a fan of the twelve driver races, or did you feel they were too big? And how about online? Share your thoughts below.

Last edited by Dusty Knackers on Sat 17 May 2014 - 17:23; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8   kart - The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8 - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Mario Kart Retrospective. Part Eight - Mario Kart 8
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next