What is a backlog? A miserable pile of unplayed games!

HomeHome  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
JayMoyles
Farore's Courage
JayMoyles

The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder - Page 22 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder   The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder - Page 22 EmptyFri 13 Feb 2015 - 16:43

2 hour blocks - I'm learning in the city centre in Edinburgh, so I didn't drive home. All I really did was starting and stopping on various slopes here and there. I think I stalled the car about ten times or so. Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
I'M EVEN LONELIER
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder   The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder - Page 22 EmptyFri 13 Feb 2015 - 16:51

I never learned to drive - or rather, I learned, then never passed. Couldn't pay attention to everything at once. Best of luck, Jay, and massive congrats if/when you make it!
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Admin
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder   The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder - Page 22 EmptyFri 13 Feb 2015 - 16:56

Hill starts is a very harsh thing to start you on. Shocked I was nervous about those right the way up to my test.

Did you bunnyhop all over the place? Never managed that myself. Laughing

@Balla: I hope you don't regret that one. I was the shittest learner, but I'm very glad I stuck with it.

Back to top Go down
http://messedupcables.forumotion.net
JayMoyles
Farore's Courage
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder   The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder - Page 22 EmptyFri 13 Feb 2015 - 17:02

Stu_the_great wrote:
Hill starts is a very harsh thing to start you on. Shocked I was nervous about those right the way up to my test.

It was actually alright, probably one of the easier things I did. I found braking harder - couldn't get myself co-ordinated when coming to a stop.

And cheers Balla! Smile
Back to top Go down
Admin
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder   The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder - Page 22 EmptyFri 13 Feb 2015 - 17:22

Emergency stops were probably the easiest thing I did; reverse bay parks (which I became pro at) were probably the hardest. If you've got hill starts off already, you're probably in for a good run. Smile
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
I'M EVEN LONELIER
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder   The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder - Page 22 EmptyFri 13 Feb 2015 - 17:28

For me, it were just the regular driving! Also, roundabouts. Hate those things.

I should be okay, Stubert. Driving isn't really a must-have skill in London.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder   The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder - Page 22 EmptyFri 13 Feb 2015 - 17:35

Balladeer wrote:
I should be okay, Stubert.  Driving isn't really a must-have skill in London.

That's fair enough. No way in hell would I venture into London in a car, otherwise I'd have been straight you your housewarming last year. Aww!

Roundabouts really do bring out the worst in people. It drives me to insanity when people don't indicate. DAMN YOU!
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder   The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder - Page 22 EmptyFri 13 Feb 2015 - 17:45

From my lofty experience of having failed two driving tests, it's been stopping and starting the car that's the most challenging part. Embarrassed If I hadn't stalled so much, I'd have passed first time. Duh! The second time would take too long to type into my phone. DAMN YOU! Good luck and good skill to you, Jay - it'll all slot into place before too long. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder   The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder - Page 22 EmptyFri 13 Feb 2015 - 17:49

If it's any consolation to anyone, I passed on my fifth attempt. Embarrassed
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
I'M SO LONELY
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder   The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder - Page 22 EmptyFri 13 Feb 2015 - 17:58

Edinburgh has a fuck tonne of hills though so maybe starting on slopes isn't a bad idea.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Farore's Courage
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder   The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder - Page 22 EmptyFri 13 Feb 2015 - 19:21

Aye, and my hometown does as well so I guess it's a good skill to have picked up so quickly. Dreading actually interacting with other motorists though.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder   The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder - Page 22 EmptyFri 13 Feb 2015 - 20:22

Advanced preview: everyone else on the road is a twat.
Back to top Go down
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder   The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder - Page 22 EmptyFri 13 Feb 2015 - 22:13

I passed my licence test first go and to be honest, it was never a problem learning to drive. I remember my instructor asking me what my biggest fear was, and without thinking why he was asking that question, I said driving in the CBD of Melbourne, a very busy city. Guess what, he took me straight into the city - bastard. Initially I had trouble drifting in lanes, mainly due to obvious co-ordination issues - they all become second nature so quickly. Not only do I have a car licence, but I also have a HR truck one, which means I can drive any truck that isn't a proper lorry and I can drive a bus with about 30 passengers. Long time since I have driven a proper truck and I have never driven one at the top end of what I can.
Back to top Go down
http://aspergamer.webs.com/apps/forums/
Admin
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder   The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder - Page 22 EmptyFri 13 Feb 2015 - 22:25

It's funny what you take for granted once you've learnt how to drive, isn't it? I had trouble staying in the centre of the lanes too for quite a while, until my instructor advised me to look as far ahead as I could and you'd adjust your position naturally. Whaddaya know? It worked!

What I find scariest, though, is how you can perform a routine journey and have little to no recollection of it when you reach your destination. I know this is a thing, as I've spoken to other people about the phenomenon.
Back to top Go down
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder   The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder - Page 22 EmptyFri 13 Feb 2015 - 23:38

Stu_the_great wrote:
It's funny what you take for granted once you've learnt how to drive, isn't it? I had trouble staying in the centre of the lanes too for quite a while, until my instructor advised me to look as far ahead as I could and you'd adjust your position naturally. Whaddaya know? It worked!

What I find scariest, though, is how you can perform a routine journey and have little to no recollection of it when you reach your destination. I know this is a thing, as I've spoken to other people about the phenomenon.

This is very prevalent in a country as big as Australia because of the vast distances we can travel, as much as 1000km in a day. I too have had many an occasion where I have been driving and suddenly thought, 'where am i?", looking for a sign, a landmark to get my compass set. You go into auto-pilot when you drive for a long time and it is quite scary. Where that really shows up though is when you talk on a mobile phone. You still drive, but when you finish the call, you have no idea where you are - just showing how dangerous phones in cars actually are.
Back to top Go down
http://aspergamer.webs.com/apps/forums/
Drunkalilly
Centurion of Palutena
Drunkalilly

PostSubject: Re: The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder   The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder - Page 22 EmptySat 14 Feb 2015 - 4:22

Since getting a car (I actually passed my test 2 years ago) the big difference is the degree of freedom. Everything feels available, whatever the weather or the time constraints or the distance involved.

The major issue I have is reigning in my Buskalillyness when driving. My natural nonchalance and disrespect for authority is less charming and more dangerous when driving.

That said, making the car dance to the Pretty Woman soundtrack was hilarious, whatever you hear to the contrary.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder   The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder - Page 22 EmptySat 14 Feb 2015 - 8:40

I can do the zoning out thing when walking but have yet to experience it when driving. I found a one-hour driving lesson knackering because of the amount of concentration it took me! Neutral
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
I'M EVEN LONELIER
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder   The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder - Page 22 EmptySat 14 Feb 2015 - 10:12

My problem is just that: I can't keep the concentration up for an hour, let alone the length of time it'd take me to actually drive somewhere. Driving is an immensely boring activity.

There's also the pollution point of view, that'd I mean I'd never want to drive anywhere if I couldn't help it, even if I could drive.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder   The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder - Page 22 EmptySat 14 Feb 2015 - 10:31

Driving is 100% better if you've got some tunes blasting out the stereo, I will always maintain this. My experience changed dramatically once I'd passed and was able to do so. Grin
Back to top Go down
masofdas
Disciple of Miyamoto
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder   The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder - Page 22 EmptySat 14 Feb 2015 - 11:06

Good Luck Jay

@Stu your worse then me, I took 4 goes to pass which equals my dad which is good thing. So still equal worst in the family.

1st go I failed for speeding, that all I did.

2nd go I would of passed but I took the wrong lane on a roundabout, if I had realised this and checked my mirrors accordingly I would of passed but because I didn't I failed.  Also that was it.

3rd I failed because of back around a corner, I hit the curb which as you all know is a fail which I still think is daft as how does it affect anyone. Like the other two fails I get but not this one also that was it.

4th which I passed I drove awful, had like the most minors you can get but still pass.

But I do know someone who took 10 goes to pass which include things like forgetting to put a seatbelt on.

On my Dad I hate driving with him, he moans all the time that I take to long to stop etc which I don't I know what my car can do but is rather annoying.

But what Drunka said about having car is why there so great, even when my car has work done for like a day I feel lost with out it.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder   The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder - Page 22 EmptySat 14 Feb 2015 - 11:18

I know why I failed my first two tests, but as for the two after that to this day I've no idea. By the time I took my fifth I went in with the "Honestly, I don't even care any more" attitude, and I walked it. Laughing

I'm sure there's something in the theory that they have to fail so many during the course of the day.
Back to top Go down
Dead Lemon
Luiginoid
Dead Lemon

PostSubject: Re: The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder   The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder - Page 22 EmptySat 14 Feb 2015 - 12:01

I passed 2nd time (as the best drivers all do Wink )

First test I was so nervous and nearly failed before even getting in the car when doing the wee eye test thing at the start where they point to a car in the distance and ask you to read the number plate. I couldn't work out what car she was pointing to and then completely forgot how to process numbers and letters in my mind. After eventually passing that bit my next struggle came when I couldn't get the steering wheel out of the steering lock it was in. Got myself properly worked up battling with that. The main reason I failed though was because whilst doing the turn in the road (3 point turn) I briefly stopped the car while reversing because there was a pedestrian walking on the pavement behind me - I thought I was being cautious in case they stepped off the pavement - however she told me I was causing a hazard in the road to other cars so failed me.

Second test was much better. Got the same woman testing me but this time I was a lot calmer and just nailed the test.

I'm quite a bad driver these days mind, I speed too much, tailgate others (though only when they're doing less than the speed limit), rarely indicate (or leave it to the last second to do so) and am poor at parking (though that's because I'm not yet used to my new car). I get quite bad road rage too. DAMN YOU!

How much are lessons these days, Jay?
Back to top Go down
Rum Rapture
Cooltrainer
Rum Rapture

PostSubject: Re: The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder   The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder - Page 22 EmptySat 14 Feb 2015 - 16:38

I passed my test on my third attempt. First time I didn't stop when reversing round a corner when there was a woman on the pavement (I think because she might have walked into the road or something? But she was on the pavement! Anyway I got a major for lack of observation, even though I saw her, but I didn't stop, so, whatever.) Second time I hadn't been driving for ages and then had to take the test in a petrol car I'd only driven a couple of times rather than a diesel which I'd learned in, and the torque is completely different so I just didn't drive very well. Third time was fine though.

Passed my test about 5 and a half years ago. Now I'm driving a transit van for work every day, often in rush hour traffic in Edinburgh and Glasgow, so I must be doing something right.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/cww_george
masofdas
Disciple of Miyamoto
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder   The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder - Page 22 EmptySat 14 Feb 2015 - 16:42

Thinking about it I've been driving for 8 years, now and gaming for 22 years this year.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Farore's Courage
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder   The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder - Page 22 EmptySat 14 Feb 2015 - 17:35

Dead Lemon wrote:

How much are lessons these days, Jay?

Quite a bit I think - I got my mine's as a birthday gift, but they're pricey.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder   The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder - Page 22 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Chat Thread II: Chat Harder
Page 22 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next