We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Blue light and Obesity

Go down 
+3
JayMoyles
Balladeer
Saul Iscariot
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Saul Iscariot
Philips CD-i Title

Blue light and Obesity Empty
PostSubject: Blue light and Obesity   Blue light and Obesity EmptyMon 2 Jun 2014 - 12:18

A few days ago there were several articles about how blue light has been linked to obesity and other disorders. For those of you that don't know, such light is generated by TV screens, monitors, phones etc. It has been linked to causing sleeplessness. Why it causes obesity baffles scientists, but they say that there is a definite correlation. Quite clearly the link is obvious. We share around seventy five percent with our DNA with all other living creatures on the planet. As such we carry within us the ability to photosynthesise. I hypothesise that this is what is happening, and it quite clearly gives a new meaning to TV dinners.

It should be noted that the obesity can be localised. I often listen to the radio before going to sleep. I listen to it via the Sky box, but turn away from the TV. This is why I have such a fat arse.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Blue light and Obesity   Blue light and Obesity EmptyMon 2 Jun 2014 - 14:39

I'm thinking that this should be more of an off-topic thing, Saul, unless you wrote one of those papers. Nah nah!

Anyway, I can't help feeling that sitting at a computer probably makes you podgy for reasons other than blue light.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Blue light and Obesity   Blue light and Obesity EmptyMon 2 Jun 2014 - 14:40

Superb.  Laughing 

In all actuality though, surely these scientists can't be suggesting that it's the bloody light off the TV as opposed to the act of sitting down and watching TV that's making folk fat?
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Blue light and Obesity   Blue light and Obesity EmptyMon 2 Jun 2014 - 16:01

I think the idea is that phones, tablets, computers etc make it harder to sleep, which I will admit I do find, and insomnia causes wait gain, which is definitely true.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Saul Iscariot
Philips CD-i Title

PostSubject: Re: Blue light and Obesity   Blue light and Obesity EmptyMon 2 Jun 2014 - 18:28

Drunkalilly wrote:
I think the idea is that phones, tablets, computers etc make it harder to sleep, which I will admit I do find, and insomnia causes wait gain, which is definitely true.
How do you gain weight when you are restless? You'd be tossing and turning all night which is a form of exercise. And sleeplessness causes problems with metabolism and diet. You're going to be eating less. I tell you it is a regression to a state of plant life. There are Swamii's in India that claimed they could subsist purely on sunlight. Though NASA disproved this, I think it is time to reconsider. Here we are talking about blue light outside of the enviromental norms.
Back to top Go down
2grundies
F-Zero Rookie
2grundies

PostSubject: Re: Blue light and Obesity   Blue light and Obesity EmptyMon 2 Jun 2014 - 21:52

The obesity problem can easily be countered by entering establishments that have red lights in the windows. Soon burn off a few calories.....
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Blue light and Obesity   Blue light and Obesity EmptyMon 2 Jun 2014 - 21:56

Perhaps we could group these red-lit buildings into particular districts in major cities and towns.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Blue light and Obesity   Blue light and Obesity EmptyWed 4 Jun 2014 - 19:31

It's proven many times over that a lack of sleep is proportional to weight gain. Don't ask me why, but presumably it's the metabolism thing and the lethargy preventing exercise the next day.
Back to top Go down
beemoh
Koopaling

PostSubject: Re: Blue light and Obesity   Blue light and Obesity EmptyThu 5 Jun 2014 - 0:09

Drunkalilly wrote:
It's proven many times over that a lack of sleep is proportional to weight gain. Don't ask me why, but presumably it's the metabolism thing and the lethargy preventing exercise the next day.

Or the fact that less time sleeping = more time to shovel food into one's gaping maw.
Back to top Go down
Saul Iscariot
Philips CD-i Title

PostSubject: Re: Blue light and Obesity   Blue light and Obesity EmptyThu 5 Jun 2014 - 12:40

beemoh wrote:
Drunkalilly wrote:

Or the fact that less time sleeping = more time to shovel food into one's gaping maw.

But as scientists don't know what causes Blue Light Obesity and both of those phenoma are observable, they have to be ruled out. The only thing that can have an influence is the blue light, which in terms of weight gain, which is a result of lack of exercise and over eating, means it has to be photosynthesis. It is Occam's Razor in effect.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Blue light and Obesity   Blue light and Obesity EmptyThu 5 Jun 2014 - 13:12

I missed that bit.  Paul, I'm really not sure about this.  Plants photosynthesise not because of their DNA, but because they have things called chloroplasts in their cells, containing the all-important chlorophyll[/GCSEbiology].  Have we identified anything similar in humans?
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Saul Iscariot
Philips CD-i Title

PostSubject: Re: Blue light and Obesity   Blue light and Obesity EmptyThu 5 Jun 2014 - 18:56

Balladeer wrote:
I missed that bit.  Paul, I'm really not sure about this.  Plants photosynthesise not because of their DNA, but because they have things called chloroplasts in their cells, containing the all-important chlorophyll[/GCSEbiology].  Have we identified anything similar in humans?
What I am suggesting is that it is a reaction of redundant DNA becoming active, but no one is checking for that. Like kids insisting on hugging at the slightest thing. That isn't natural, that's their parent taking E and passing on the benefits of a loved up drug.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Blue light and Obesity   Blue light and Obesity EmptyThu 5 Jun 2014 - 22:10

Superman photosynthesises. And he's at his most powerful under a blue sun.
Back to top Go down
Saul Iscariot
Philips CD-i Title

PostSubject: Re: Blue light and Obesity   Blue light and Obesity EmptyThu 5 Jun 2014 - 23:34

Drunkalilly wrote:
Superman photosynthesises. And he's at his most powerful under a blue sun.
Yellow sun, blue light. But you are at least thinking along the correct lines. Only Supes comes from another planet, with an ecology based around a red sun, is fictitious, and wouldn't share 75% of his DNA with all life on this planet. Also his arse is pert.
Back to top Go down
Vidofnir
Flock Step Bird
Vidofnir

PostSubject: Re: Blue light and Obesity   Blue light and Obesity EmptyFri 6 Jun 2014 - 2:56

I'm sorry but this blue light thing reminds me of when a group of 'scientists' from a university did a garden experiment on 30 snails and found out that snails like to follow each other's slime tracks to preserve their own or some such crap. (This made the national news if I recall.)

Sounds like some PHD students misguided study trying to tie something new to obesity.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blue light and Obesity   Blue light and Obesity Empty

Back to top Go down

Blue light and Obesity
Page 1 of 1