We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Code Name: S.T.E.A.M

Go down 
+11
shanks
Crumpy Andy
Rum
fronkhead
ZeroJones
Buskalilly
The Cappuccino Kid
The_Jaster
beemoh
Balladeer
masofdas
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

Code Name: S.T.E.A.M - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M   Code Name: S.T.E.A.M - Page 3 EmptySat 14 Mar 2015 - 7:58

Quote :
drooping

Code Name: S.T.E.A.M - Page 3 123014f2919627e3cb9a91824d0beb17
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M   Code Name: S.T.E.A.M - Page 3 EmptyMon 4 May 2015 - 14:05

Bump!

Have a review from Eurogamer.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-05-01-code-name-steam-review
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M   Code Name: S.T.E.A.M - Page 3 EmptyMon 11 May 2015 - 16:30

Aye, that was a great review, as expected from Donlan (who also wrote an equally great preview). This review from Chris Schilling is also excellent. Like Donlan's, it picks apart how the game's unconventional underpinnings work. Which is why it's such an interesting game to play in practice.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/video-game-reviews/11580319/Code-Name-S.T.E.A.M.-review.html

Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M   Code Name: S.T.E.A.M - Page 3 EmptyMon 11 May 2015 - 16:41

Yep, I was going to link that review also but didn't want to triple post.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M   Code Name: S.T.E.A.M - Page 3 EmptySat 16 May 2015 - 17:56

So, who's got this? Is it fun?
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M   Code Name: S.T.E.A.M - Page 3 EmptySat 16 May 2015 - 19:06

Out of the GNamer folk? It's just me I think, I'm a bit into chapter 3 and I'm enjoying it quite a bit though I can see how the constant enemy reinforcement may annoy some people.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M   Code Name: S.T.E.A.M - Page 3 EmptySat 16 May 2015 - 19:55

After a lot of thought, I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. It's been a real internal struggle, let me tell you. Drama queen
Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M   Code Name: S.T.E.A.M - Page 3 EmptySun 17 May 2015 - 9:26

I have it.. Just haven't started it
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M   Code Name: S.T.E.A.M - Page 3 EmptySun 17 May 2015 - 13:09

Yeah...I'm not sure why everyone has been complaining about enemy reinforcements. Reviewers love to compare it to Valkyria Chronicles, and that game does the same thing...
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M   Code Name: S.T.E.A.M - Page 3 EmptySun 17 May 2015 - 15:57

fronkhead wrote:
Yeah...I'm not sure why everyone has been complaining about enemy reinforcements. Reviewers love to compare it to Valkyria Chronicles, and that game does the same thing...

It makes every decision you make all the more important.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M   Code Name: S.T.E.A.M - Page 3 EmptyTue 2 Jun 2015 - 19:01

I've taken my first S.T.E.A.M.-y steps! As I've only got a little further than I did in the demo, that is all.

For now. Winky Face
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M   Code Name: S.T.E.A.M - Page 3 EmptyThu 2 Jul 2015 - 0:27

I started playing this a few days ago, and I've come away impressed. Not surprising though, as I really enjoyed the demo.

But getting stuck in to the finished game means I'm paying attention and things which felt a bit vague (like enemy overwatch attacks) make a lot of sense now. It's just a really tight game of strategy, where every square on the grid counts, where you need to be on your toes all the time. I've missed this sort of game in recent times: A lot of handheld strategy titles seem to be of the RPG variety, where the strategy elements play second-fiddle to the RPG elements. Not here, though.

I loved level 2-3, mainly because an indoor stage makes you feel that much more vulnerable for having no map and needing to scout out as much information as possible on your own. Overwatch is pretty neat too: I like how you can avoid enemy sight lines, and the game gives you enough information to prepare for an attack in advance (namely, those red arrows that pop up -- I didn't notice these in the demo). Being caught out by the enemy around the corner doesn't feel unfair either, since you're able to do the same to your foes.

Where's everyone else at? I'm currently on 3-2, and this seems like the sort of game where you end up having lots of stories to share about close encounters with the enemy, or some really smart thing you did!
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M   Code Name: S.T.E.A.M - Page 3 EmptyThu 2 Jul 2015 - 0:49

After some really lucky breaks here and there

Dem breaks:

I'm at 10-1. The madness of it all is keeping me going: so many new characters have appeared that the array of tactics - and combinations thereof - is overwhelming. Then there's the story's madness, and the madness of this being a Nintendo game in the first place, because it's so unlike their normal output.

The only smart thing I've done up to press is replay the first world to get all the cogs. Embarrassed
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M   Code Name: S.T.E.A.M - Page 3 EmptyThu 2 Jul 2015 - 6:47

fronk wrote:
Where's everyone else at? I'm currently on 3-2, and this seems like the sort of game where you end up having lots of stories to share about close encounters with the enemy, or some really smart thing you did!

I'm currently at 4-2, the previous map to that has been my favourite so far with its 3 lanes that give you multiple ways to tackle it, either you can take a long way round to your objective or split your team up and have them meet in the middle.

---

Also I've now my met my first character who's voice is super annoying to me, which is a shame as his weapons look fun to use.......oh this isn't anything major but I like if you leave a character idle for a bit they complain about a decision not being made.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M   Code Name: S.T.E.A.M - Page 3 EmptyThu 2 Jul 2015 - 14:55

I really struggle to choose which sub-weapons to bring with me. I like the one which stuns several enemies over a range, though. Also I was surprised that the new boilers don't seem to be unarguably better than the old ones, looks like there are some trade-offs to switching.

ZeroJones wrote:
The only smart thing I've done up to press is replay the first world to get all the cogs. Embarrassed

So far I've used the "restore all" option twice over two stages, and have felt less clever about myself as a result. But hey, it's in the game and costs medals, so I shouldn't feel bad about it? Right?
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M   Code Name: S.T.E.A.M - Page 3 EmptyThu 2 Jul 2015 - 18:44

In terms of sub-weapons, I tend to give people overwatch weapons if they haven't got them already. Someone who has one already gets the healing doodad, for sure - not that confident yet! Embarrassed And I like the trade-offs between boilers! It keeps things entertaining.

Zero's Tales of S.T.E.A.M. - slight spoilers for abilities, heavier for 10-1 layout:
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M   Code Name: S.T.E.A.M - Page 3 EmptySun 5 Jul 2015 - 23:38

Re: 10-1: Ouch! I just finished that level myself, and That split mid-way was particularly nasty, I ended up reloading and regrouping, taking out the first boss (the one close to the split) and then moving towards the second boss from there. The team I had wasn't flexible enough to split, I really needed Carter's distraction weapon.

I've been going with the game's "suggested" party members most of the time, and it hasn't led me astray. Carter's distraction weapon was vital for taking out one of the queens without getting destroyed by the Crashers, and in 9-1, I realised John's weapon could break down a wall leading to a Predator that was upping the enemy team's attack. Nifty!

---

I'm on chapter 11 now, and I must say I wasn't expecting myself to get this far in a week! I'm really enjoying this, and I think it might be one of my favourite-est strategy games ever. It's just so cleverly designed, I love the variety to all the maps and enemies, and it's really well balanced.

I really love how engaging it is, one of my favourite things is starting a brand new map and having to scout out everything before I can even move. Processing all that information and making decisions on the fly is part of the game's charm, and this is the closest thing we'll ever get to a strategy game giving us "fog of war" in the most elegant way possible.

The dynamic soundtrack's fantastic too!
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M   Code Name: S.T.E.A.M - Page 3 EmptyMon 13 Jul 2015 - 10:53

11-1 was not as tough as I was expecting, but it took me a lot less time than normal to figure out what was going on. It's a nice change of pace, and the cut scene that follows it is simply brilliant. Grin
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M   Code Name: S.T.E.A.M - Page 3 EmptyTue 14 Jul 2015 - 16:41

Aye, I think if there wasn't a cannon so close to your base (and thus, away from any kind of enemy threat) I would have struggled. Otherwise I had plenty of time to grab all three gears and slowly take out the encroaching threat.

I finished this on Friday. I thought chapter 15 was a bit of a drag to be honest (15-2 was particularly horrible, and I had to resort to cheap tactics to finish it without pulling my hair out), but chapter 16 was amazing. 16-1 is almost too clever for its own good.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M   Code Name: S.T.E.A.M - Page 3 EmptyTue 14 Jul 2015 - 21:23

Blimey, lad, you are taken with the game! Glad there's some stuff to look forward to, though - what was your completion time, if I might ask?

I've just taken my first steps in 12-1, which saw the return of my least favourite enemies... and a new sort that looks like they will compete for the title!
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M   Code Name: S.T.E.A.M - Page 3 EmptyWed 15 Jul 2015 - 0:50

Oof, those new enemies in 12-1 are a massive pain. I also didn't really "get" the new character's weapon, I found Tom better than her generally speaking.

I finished the game with 17 in-game hours on the clock according to the Milton over at my ship's library. Activity Log says 20 hours, I'm guessing those extra three hours were spent either reloading from save points listening to Code Name T.H.E.M.E. on the title screen!
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M   Code Name: S.T.E.A.M - Page 3 EmptyWed 15 Jul 2015 - 11:28

It seems to be good against the eye enemies, generally speaking. She does have an irritating voice, though. Thumbs Down... Truth be told, I'm having trouble getting into the level at the moment. I've got a reasonable base point and can make some progress but never get to the crucial second save point. No

fronkhead wrote:
Code Name T.H.E.M.E.

:roflmao:

Tune Has Excellent Meme Expectations? Winky Face
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M   Code Name: S.T.E.A.M - Page 3 EmptyWed 15 Jul 2015 - 14:52

ZeroJones wrote:
It seems to be good against the eye enemies, generally speaking. She does have an irritating voice, though. Thumbs Down... Truth be told, I'm having trouble getting into the level at the moment. I've got a reasonable base point and can make some progress but never get to the crucial second save point. No

Is this the level with the enemies manning the cannons up on top? I really struggled with that, and it doesn't help that splitting up your team makes it quite hard to deal with the eyeball!

ZeroJones wrote:
Tune Has Excellent Meme Expectations? Winky Face

Heh, I'll take that!
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M   Code Name: S.T.E.A.M - Page 3 EmptyWed 22 Jul 2015 - 15:53

So I'm playing this again.

Zero's Tales Of S.T.E.A.M. - character spoilers, enemy spoilers, 4-1 layout:
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M   Code Name: S.T.E.A.M - Page 3 EmptyWed 22 Jul 2015 - 19:13

I should get back to playing this and even though I enjoy it I just can't seem to muster up the need to, I blame it being on a handheld.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M   Code Name: S.T.E.A.M - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Code Name: S.T.E.A.M
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next