We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

General Remakes Chat and Stuff

Go down 
+11
Admin
Crumpy Andy
fronkhead
ZeroJones
Jimbob
masofdas
JayMoyles
Balladeer
The_Jaster
Buskalilly
beemoh
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

General Remakes Chat and Stuff - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Remakes Chat and Stuff   General Remakes Chat and Stuff - Page 3 EmptyWed 18 Feb 2015 - 2:29

The games industry really does have a remake problem. Meh
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: General Remakes Chat and Stuff   General Remakes Chat and Stuff - Page 3 EmptyWed 18 Feb 2015 - 5:22

The bad thing is that they're not even remakes, like Ninty have done with Majora's Mask - they're just ports of games less than five years old. Depressing.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: General Remakes Chat and Stuff   General Remakes Chat and Stuff - Page 3 EmptyWed 18 Feb 2015 - 6:17

JayMoyles wrote:
The bad thing is that they're not even remakes, like Ninty have done with Majora's Mask - they're just ports of games less than five years old. Depressing.

I agree. I am for remakes. I really like the idea of remakes. But do it properly, start from scratch. I would love to see many a game from the Gamecube era remade, not some faux HD version of the same thing, which in itself isn't bad, but generally the cost is.

I would like Nintendo to remake a game like the original Metroids, all new design, all HD, but only using the original as a template (adding bits that make sense) with an essentially new HD 2D game - it could be gorgeous to look at, but retain much of the feel of the original. The same goes for any of the really old games, like Zelda. Essentially it is more the concept of re-imagining the game.
Back to top Go down
http://aspergamer.webs.com/apps/forums/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: General Remakes Chat and Stuff   General Remakes Chat and Stuff - Page 3 EmptyWed 18 Feb 2015 - 9:52

Can't see many Cube-Era games getting remade as would take far to long, can see some getting HD running treatment with the odd update like Wind Waker. So can be shipped out in 6 months or the PS2 style HD version on PS3.

Even MM3D is more of a remake then a port due to a lot of upgrades done to it but it's still not a proper remake only one I can really think of is RE:Make on Cube which was started from scratch.

Only thing I hope with Darksiders II is Nordic is testing the water before getting someone to make a Darksider III, as Nordic is just a publisher not a developer whom I believe don't actually on any development studios.

Also how many people might of missed it on last gen, a lot missed The Last of Us and GTAV has sold how many copies on PS4 & ONE even to people who already played it.

So I've not really got a problem with them buy the ones you like and just ignore the ones you don't, just because little Timmy wants Darksiders II on his PS4 as he likes the look of it and is now 15. Why shouldn't he be allowed to have it, I agree there would be better things to re-release then this though.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: General Remakes Chat and Stuff   General Remakes Chat and Stuff - Page 3 EmptyWed 18 Feb 2015 - 16:30

JayMoyles wrote:

Yup! In my book stuff should only be redone if it can substantially be improved upon.

mas wrote:
Also how many people might of missed it on last gen, a lot missed The Last of Us and GTAV has sold how many copies on PS4 & ONE even to people who already played it.

So I've not really got a problem with them buy the ones you like and just ignore the ones you don't, just because little Timmy wants Darksiders II on his PS4 as he likes the look of it and is now 15. Why shouldn't he be allowed to have it, I agree there would be better things to re-release then this though.

Sorry but I don't buy that argument at all, sure some folk may have missed out on some games but would they have a worse experience if they played the originals? I don't think they would & what's more they wouldn't have to fork out £300+ for a new system to do it.

Also ignoring it would be a lot easier if we had a bit of originality/innovation from the big devs heading our way but it is severely lacking.

Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: General Remakes Chat and Stuff   General Remakes Chat and Stuff - Page 3 EmptyWed 18 Feb 2015 - 17:34

Have the big devs really done any though.

Well little timmy had a 360 but now he's got a PS4 like his friends, so he bought last of us for his ps4 and same with GTAV even though he's not really allowed it.

Yes I know that argument doesn't work for Darksiders II but you get my point.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: General Remakes Chat and Stuff   General Remakes Chat and Stuff - Page 3 EmptyWed 18 Feb 2015 - 18:59

Side note: 'Tim' is my brother's name. He's the tallest of the three of us, at a mighty 5'11".

There are too many remakes out there. The film industry is giving us the same thing: safe bets, as genuinely new things are so risky financially. Aww!
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: General Remakes Chat and Stuff   General Remakes Chat and Stuff - Page 3 EmptyWed 18 Feb 2015 - 21:54

mas wrote:
Have the big devs really done any though.

Any what? remakes/ports? If so then yes, you even mentioned 2 of them.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: General Remakes Chat and Stuff   General Remakes Chat and Stuff - Page 3 EmptyThu 19 Feb 2015 - 10:42

Last of Us was done by a port team not Naughty Dog.

Yeah GTAV but I was thinking more of Infinity Ward actually doing a modern warfare trilogy there self's.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: General Remakes Chat and Stuff   General Remakes Chat and Stuff - Page 3 EmptyThu 19 Feb 2015 - 17:26

They may not have been hands on with the remake themselves but they still gave it the greenlight rather than make a new project & that's my main issue with it all.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: General Remakes Chat and Stuff   General Remakes Chat and Stuff - Page 3 EmptyThu 19 Feb 2015 - 17:32

Jas, while I'm no remake fan myself, I feel that you're getting angry with the wrong people. Big Business will always try to go for the safest route to create money, with very few exceptions. That's the nature of the beast. The only reason they make money off remakes is because people keep buying them. The consumer has the power to change this, and they're the ones you should be hounding.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: General Remakes Chat and Stuff   General Remakes Chat and Stuff - Page 3 EmptyThu 19 Feb 2015 - 17:40

I would be interested to see what one of these port teams do especially Blue Point, but if there happy to these ports and people like Balla says buys them. Then who can blame for doing it if it's puts food on that teams plates.

I am slightly more expecting of 1st party exclusive ports as both Sony & MS reckon that a certain percent of 8th gen owners didn't own the 7th gen system.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: General Remakes Chat and Stuff   General Remakes Chat and Stuff - Page 3 EmptyThu 19 Feb 2015 - 22:53

Balladeer wrote:
Jas, while I'm no remake fan myself, I feel that you're getting angry with the wrong people.  Big Business will always try to go for the safest route to create money, with very few exceptions.  That's the nature of the beast.  The only reason they make money off remakes is because people keep buying them.  The consumer has the power to change this, and they're the ones you should be hounding.

That is what really bugs me the most but I'm just saying I don't like any of it.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: General Remakes Chat and Stuff   General Remakes Chat and Stuff - Page 3 EmptyThu 19 Feb 2015 - 23:02

You can't stop people buying the games they like though or might of missed

As you must of asked for GTAV yourself for Christmas as you like it.  Your bought Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate even though you played Tri as your liked it,  you even said you would buy Monster Hunter 4 if it came to Wii U. Or Drunka buying the Halo Collection as he's not got a 360.

So yes if people stopped buying them we wouldn't get them but if that's what people like & what to spend there money on its up to them.

Dark Soul's II on PS4 is a prime example of one that I might pick up as I missed also i might like it from the talk about it on here / playing bloodborne and maybe wanting more of that sort of game.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: General Remakes Chat and Stuff   General Remakes Chat and Stuff - Page 3 EmptySat 21 Feb 2015 - 1:32

C'mon Mas! I'm not trying to stop folk from buying games at all (I honestly don't know how you got to that or how I even could) I'm just saying that I don't like the trend of there being loads of remakes & of course there will be exceptions for a game series that I really enjoy (even though Tri isn't the same game as 3 Ultimate & they were also 3 years apart not one) also if some real effort was put into these "Definitive Edition" remakes then I wouldn't probably be as bothered about them but since the majority are just slight visual upgrades then sorry I will continue to dislike them.

I'm also not trying to change anyone's opinion on the matter either just expressing my own but it seems like you want to call me out on it if I happen to buy/own a certain remake.

(side note: I get why they happen but that doesn't mean I have to like it & since I feel like I'm repeating myself now I have nothing further to say on it)

Back to top Go down
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: General Remakes Chat and Stuff   General Remakes Chat and Stuff - Page 3 EmptySat 21 Feb 2015 - 5:48

In all fairness, these 'definitive' versions are being driven by profit. Without backwards compatibility, they have the perfect opportunity to resell old games they would have otherwise not been able to. This is unlike Nintendo, where you could just go out and buy an old copy. It is also been driven by the fact that like many first years, there just isn't very many games worth playing, so the 'definitive' versions of old games fills the gap. It is neither right nor wrong, as anyone is free to buy or not buy them. Even those where they put a bit of effort into the definitive version, with all the DLC, as well as the slightly better looks, it is really cheap for them to do it, and very profitable to market. What company wouldn't do that?

My own view, it is lazy, but it gives the market what it wants, but it is also deceptive, as they could have just made their systems backwards compatible if they wanted to.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: General Remakes Chat and Stuff   General Remakes Chat and Stuff - Page 3 EmptySat 21 Feb 2015 - 9:30

Actually, OS raises a good point.  Although I'll agree that the responsibility lies mostly with the consumer (and Mas, while I may not be able to fault the person who buys TLoU+ after owning a 360, I'm much more sceptical about those who bought it after owning the game for PS3), if the PS4 had been backwards compatible, the consumer would have been able to pick up TLoU for PS3 for cheaper.  They could even have re-released it in a fancy box, to make more money.  

The lack of BC does allow certain remakes to be got away with, and sold, more easily.

The_Jaster wrote:
...(even though Tri isn't the same game as 3 Ultimate & they were also 3 years apart not one) also if some real effort was put into these "Definitive Edition" remakes then I wouldn't probably be as bothered about them but since the majority are just slight visual upgrades then sorry I will continue to dislike them.

So you're okay with MM3D then?  More than ten years apart, given a do-over in several areas (not just visual)?

The_Jaster (from the MM3D thread) wrote:
I really couldn't give a shit about this & it makes me quite annoyed that Nintendo are now firmly into the "let's remake old games" territory, what's next? That bloody rumoured Luigi's mansion HD? Sulk

Razz

I've got to admit, Jas, I've always found it odd that you'll be so passionate about your dislike for remakes (and once again, I'm with you for the most part), yet snap up the Monster Hunter ones.  To play devil's advocate, what about the people who are really passionate about TLoU?  I hear there are lots of them.  And I'm sure some of them would say that the new content (slim on the ground though it may be) changes the dynamic of the game, just like the lists of upgrades you occasionally mention regarding the Monster Hunter remakes.

Last edited by Balladeer on Sat 21 Feb 2015 - 11:05; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: General Remakes Chat and Stuff   General Remakes Chat and Stuff - Page 3 EmptySat 21 Feb 2015 - 10:14

Balladeer wrote:
 More than ten years apart, given a do-over in several areas (not just visual)?

This is what I need for an acceptable remake. I'll give it a little leeway in the time bracket, but if it's just a straight port I'll be wary of the title.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: General Remakes Chat and Stuff   General Remakes Chat and Stuff - Page 3 EmptySat 21 Feb 2015 - 13:05

balla wrote:
So you're okay with MM3D then?  More than ten years apart, given a do-over in several areas (not just visual)?

To a degree, yes as the length between said remake can give consumers a significant improvement over the original & the only reason I said "I don't give a shit about it" is I that never got on with original game but I'd still rather Nintendo would surprise us with something new.

balla wrote:
I've got to admit, Jas, I've always found it odd that you'll be so passionate about your dislike for remakes (and once again, I'm with you for the most part), yet snap up the Monster Hunter ones.  To play devil's advocate, what about the people who are really passionate about TLoU?  I hear there are lots of them.  And I'm sure some of them would say that the new content (slim on the ground though it may be) changes the dynamic of the game, just like the lists of upgrades you occasionally mention regarding the Monster Hunter remakes.

You already know I don't see the MH games as remakes & I'd hope most would agree with me if they had put in the same amount of hours into the games as I have but if they are considered that by some then they are leagues ahead of anything like TLoU & backs up my point of a more than decent effort being put into them.

---

Oldschool wrote:
My own view, it is lazy, but it gives the market what it wants, but it is also deceptive, as they could have just made their systems backwards compatible if they wanted to.

Agreed! & that is all I was trying to get across.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: General Remakes Chat and Stuff   General Remakes Chat and Stuff - Page 3 EmptySat 21 Feb 2015 - 18:06

But if the systems were BC then they would of been more expensive and you just need to look at the PS3 at launch how well that went.

I know you don't see MH3U as a remake but still uses the bases of the Tri, and even if has a lot of content added still same core game. Same with SFIV and Ultra still the same core game but Ultra added new characters for instance & balancing which is a lot of content for a fighter but still the same base game.

Also Darksiders II is 3 years old not 1 which started all this and will have a lot of content from it's original release. GTAV added FPS mode, so a few of this remakes/ports/re-release/enhanced versions/goty editions have added stuff.

Like 6 player in Dark Souls II
Back to top Go down
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: General Remakes Chat and Stuff   General Remakes Chat and Stuff - Page 3 EmptySat 21 Feb 2015 - 23:16

masofdas wrote:
But if the systems were BC then they would of been more expensive and you just need to look at the PS3 at launch how well that went.  

I don't agree with that assumption. The PS3 was ridiculously expensive to begin with and that was Sony's fault and BC was not the major cause of that. As it became much cheaper to manufacture, they could have added it back in, but they didn't, as they could see how profitable it was to resell old games. Xbox 360 had it, game by game, and then gave up. BC isn't that expensive to implement. If they wanted to, they could offer two models, with and without, but chances are, they would deliberately inflate the BC one way above the actual cost, to justify deleting it due to poor sales. They could also offer a USB BC, just simply the hardware needed to run the games through the system (no extra disc drive or anything else).
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: General Remakes Chat and Stuff   General Remakes Chat and Stuff - Page 3 EmptySat 21 Feb 2015 - 23:43

The BC PS3 had to have the emotion chip in to run PS2 games and this gen the PS4 & ONE don't have similar architecture to there last gen counter parts which mean something like a emotion chip would if had to been in them. But yes could of done a note expensive version but to be honest I agree with what Cliffy B has said we all say we want BC but no one ever uses it (that was based of stats with the 360) and how many of us have played Wii games on our Wii Us.

I think I've played like 2 for about 5 minutes in over 2 years.
Back to top Go down
oldschool
Bandana Waddle Dee
oldschool

PostSubject: Re: General Remakes Chat and Stuff   General Remakes Chat and Stuff - Page 3 EmptySun 22 Feb 2015 - 2:04

masofdas wrote:
The BC PS3 had to have the emotion chip in to run PS2 games and this gen the PS4 & ONE don't have similar architecture to there last gen counter parts which mean something like a emotion chip would if had to been in them. But yes could of done a note expensive version but to be honest I agree with what Cliffy B has said we all say we want BC but no one ever uses it (that was based of stats with the 360) and how many of us have played Wii games on our Wii Us.

I think I've played like 2 for about 5 minutes in over 2 years.

My Wii play is still way above that of Wii U games. I don't think the 360 stats speak for us all, and is just a convenient excuse.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: General Remakes Chat and Stuff   General Remakes Chat and Stuff - Page 3 EmptySun 22 Feb 2015 - 7:33

Yes that's you, if we could find out the stats for every Wii U for instance I reckon it would be low Wii use.

I think what happens is we buy new console we want to play games on that and new ones then suddenly we go I wouldn't mind playing Shadow of the Colossus next minute your buying the Team ICO collection on PS3.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: General Remakes Chat and Stuff   General Remakes Chat and Stuff - Page 3 EmptySun 22 Feb 2015 - 10:49

masofdas wrote:
I think what happens is we buy new console we want to play games on that and new ones then suddenly we go I wouldn't mind playing Shadow of the Colossus next minute your buying the Team ICO collection on PS3.

I don't want that point to be correct, but it probably is; I'm finding myself being incredibly lazy as I get older; paying for a copy of a game that fits in the system under my TV is more appealing than plugging in the older system that's currently balanced on a shelf in a wardrobe. Having said that, I'd rather the devs just converted the code for games that are <5 years old, and concentrated on revamping older games - essentially what Nintendo and Grezzo have done.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Remakes Chat and Stuff   General Remakes Chat and Stuff - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

General Remakes Chat and Stuff
Page 3 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next