We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread

Go down 
+18
OrangeRakoon
NintenDUCK
Axis1500
mandlecreed
Dead Lemon
Vidofnir
JayMoyles
Admin
Athrun888
The Cappuccino Kid
Crumpy Andy
Jimbob
ZeroJones
The_Jaster
Buskalilly
masofdas
shanks
Balladeer
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread - Page 35 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread   General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread - Page 35 EmptyFri 6 Sep 2019 - 23:41

Most would know him from King of Fighters which still gets games and has been going since 94 than Fatal Fury, I feel.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread - Page 35 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread   General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread - Page 35 EmptySat 7 Sep 2019 - 19:15

Hmmm.....maybe.....but Fatal Fury is where he originated and it didn't exactly have a small number of releases either.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread   General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread - Page 35 EmptySun 8 Sep 2019 - 11:45

masofdas wrote:
Just look at the link Jas posted Balla.

That's his iconic status sorted (for certain people), sure. I'm more concerned that he looks dull to play.

The_Jaster wrote:
What could make him interesting to use? From what I've looked up on it recently it had a few different mechanics in the series but the main one being a two lane system where you can jump from the foreground or the background, so, maybe it could lean into that somehow? (like they did for Ryu and his SF inputs etc)

Fair play about the lane-fighting system, if they can find a way to make that work that might differentiate him. I have heard that he'll have something similar to Ryu's inputs, which I do not like. I feel like on the fighting side, Smash' simplicity of controls and lack of funky inputs is one of the best things about it. Knowing that I couldn't reach Ryu's ceiling without learning some funky inputs made me even more dismissive of a character that I wasn't too keen on to start with. (Still more iconic than Terry though.)

The_Jaster wrote:
balla wrote:
Right now, an underwhelming Direct is okay! That we had a Direct at all is gilding the lily a bit.  Smile

I think someone is trying to kid themselves just because there is a tonne of good games to be playing right now. Razz

I'm not sure I understand this. There being a tonne of good games to play is kind of my point - we didn't really need a Direct addressing the last bit of this year, so to get anything is nice!
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread   General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread - Page 35 EmptyMon 9 Sep 2019 - 6:22

I just meant that it seems like you were saying the direct was underwhelming to kid yourself into not wanting more of these great looking games.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread   General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread - Page 35 EmptyTue 10 Sep 2019 - 15:22

Aaaaaaah, I see. Were that it were so, Jas, were that it were so.

Could potentially be persuaded to try DP2 I suppose. Re. the ports I might have been into Obra Din had Lucy not played it previously, resulting in my spoiling the story for myself so we could discuss it.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread   General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread - Page 35 EmptyThu 12 Sep 2019 - 0:09

Balladeer wrote:
Sell Terry Bogard to me, gents.  He looks like a terrible choice, just because he's boring, almost anime swordsman level.  He's a bloke from a fighting game, what's he going to bring to the table that makes him interesting to use?  (Also I barely know who he is.  Would most gamers know who he is?)

Yeah, folks will know who he is.

I think he'll be fun to play - zippier than Ryu and Ken, I'd imagine, consdeiring one of his signature moves is the Burning Knuckle which a dashing punch attack. I love the somewhat mispronounced English dialogue lines he'll drop on occasion, like ARE YOU OKAY?! BUSTAH WOOF.

Most importantly though, I trust Sakurai and his team to make their fighters compelling. I was seriously uninterested in playing as The Hero from Dragon Quest when he was revealed, but they made what could have easily been yet another anime swordsman into one of most bonkers characters to date. They want people to drop money on these characters - he won't be just "a bloke from a fighting game". Trust in Sakurai.

Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread   General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread - Page 35 EmptyThu 12 Sep 2019 - 2:41

SNK fighting games aren't huge in the English-speaking world but this announcement was unbelievably hype in Japan and South America. So Balla's just being racist as usual.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread   General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread - Page 35 EmptyThu 12 Sep 2019 - 5:16

Also this.

Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread   General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread - Page 35 EmptyThu 12 Sep 2019 - 9:17

JayMoyles wrote:
Most importantly though, I trust Sakurai and his team to make their fighters compelling. I was seriously uninterested in playing as The Hero from Dragon Quest when he was revealed, but they made what could have easily been yet another anime swordsman into one of most bonkers characters to date. They want people to drop money on these characters - he won't be just "a bloke from a fighting game". Trust in Sakurai.

See, I'm not sure I have quite that level of trust. It's Smash 4 wot did it: Bayonetta felt like something new, but Corrin and Cloud felt like generic anime swordsmen despite their dragonness/Limit Break gubbins, and my feelings about Ryu are well documented.

Granted, Ultimate's characters have taken it up a notch, so maybe I'm making a fuss about nothing. It's not made me any more likely to buy the Season Pass in any case though!
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread   General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread - Page 35 EmptyThu 12 Sep 2019 - 20:34

Balladeer wrote:
JayMoyles wrote:

See, I'm not sure I have quite that level of trust.  It's Smash 4 wot did it: Bayonetta felt like something new, but Corrin and Cloud felt like generic anime swordsmen despite their dragonness/Limit Break gubbins, and my feelings about Ryu are well documented.  

I'll agree with Corrin - I think Sakurai has all but confirmed that Nintendo wanted Corrin in to promote Fates and he wasn't super into the character - but Cloud's Limit Break mechanic was really unique and he felt like a love letter to FFVII in regards to his moveset. Ryu... well, you know my thoughts on your stance on the character already!
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread   General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread - Page 35 EmptyFri 13 Sep 2019 - 10:06

I actually grew to really like Corrin & Cloud by the end of the story in Ultimate, I think they just have enough about them to set them apart from the true anime swordsmen of Smash. (Chrom, Lucina & Marth being the worst offenders for me)

But I never did play them in Smash 4.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread   General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread - Page 35 EmptyTue 17 Sep 2019 - 21:46

I just wanna say that the Direct was bloody brilliant - I even appreciated stuff that wasn't for me. I'm not really familiar with Terry Bogard (or as my brother-in-law read it, Terry Board, who sounds like some kind of dull project manager) but if anything that was just as exciting - a different character from out of nowhere.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread   General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread - Page 35 EmptyWed 18 Sep 2019 - 1:37

Jimbob wrote:
I'm not really familiar with Terry Bogard but if anything that was just as exciting - a different character from out of nowhere.

I like this. A refreshingly positive take.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread   General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread - Page 35 EmptyThu 19 Sep 2019 - 1:32

Smash is about introducing new characters to a massive audience - I had no idea who Marth, Roy and Ness were back in Melee, but it got me interested in Fire Emblem and Mother. I didn't know much about Shulk, but it made Xenoblade feel like a big deal. Think about the millions who might be checking out Fatal Fury or KOF for the first time due to this - that's cool to me.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread   General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread - Page 35 EmptySun 22 Sep 2019 - 16:06

Agreed - with the original, I wasn't sure who Ness was - I wondered if he was an OC or something, but eventually found out he was from Earthbound (of which I knew little, other than a review in Total! magazine, which gave no indication that it wasn't coming to this side of the atlantic). Turns out it's one of the best games of all time! Fatal Fury isn't probably, but it's nice to find out nonetheless.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread   General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread - Page 35 EmptySun 22 Sep 2019 - 19:01

I think it helps that Ness had them psychic powers and blew up upon entering the stage, and that when Marth came along there wasn't an overabundance of anime swords fellas. They were callbacks to Nintendo's past and looked interesting to play.

Then again, I'd probably be all over Terry if he were a Nintendo character. 🤷
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread   General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread - Page 35 EmptyMon 23 Sep 2019 - 3:56

We've seen very little of Terry to make a proper judgement on how he'll turn out as a fighter though, for example before Ultimate was out I thought Incineroar looked pretty cool but once I had the game in my hands I was disappointed in how he played & then on the flip side of that I have no interest in the Persona series but liked the look of Joker and was pleasantly surprised in how that character played.

I guess what I'm trying to say is even though he's not in your wheelhouse if you give it a chance they might surprise you.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread   General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread - Page 35 EmptyMon 23 Sep 2019 - 4:28

Balladeer wrote:

Then again, I'd probably be all over Terry if he were a Nintendo character. 🤷

None of us had any doubt about this pal.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread   General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread - Page 35 EmptyThu 26 Sep 2019 - 20:15

I concur that this is a disappointing opinion to have. Fatal Fury got SNES ports, right? There ya go, Nintendo character.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread   General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread - Page 35 EmptyThu 26 Sep 2019 - 21:03

If it's not hand-designed by Shigsy then it doesn't count.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread   General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread - Page 35 EmptyThu 26 Sep 2019 - 22:19

He's fine. He's absolutely fine. He's not for me, he's late-stage DLC, his principal games have been sighted on Nintendo consoles often enough. He's fine.

They should definitely include the gender-swap from that weird SNK women-only recent fighter though.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread   General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread - Page 35 EmptySun 29 Sep 2019 - 20:38

In the words of one Cappuccino Kid from the Last Game We Finished Thread, people who want the genderswapped version of Terry as an alternate costume are "a wee dirty who'd want to have a chug over Nintendo Switch diddies."
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread   General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread - Page 35 EmptySun 29 Sep 2019 - 21:44

Well we do know Balla like the Xenoblade games Cheeky
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread   General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread - Page 35 EmptyWed 11 Dec 2019 - 17:05

Might be because it came after State of Play but the Indie Showcase to be a tad muh and looking at things like Streets of Rage 2 thinking that's coming to Game Pass etc
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread   General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread - Page 35 EmptyWed 11 Dec 2019 - 20:25

Jay and I feel like this talks about news so should go in news.

Anyway, I went into this with no expectations and I was reasonably pleased, if not blown away. Murder by Numbers looked the absolute business given that I'm into picross (when the developer puts some chuffing effort in) and Ace Attorney. Sports Story looked really cute but I never played much of Golf Story, Gleamlight looks so Hollow Knight it's practically gibbering to a giant stag beetle, and I might get Bake & Switch if it reviews well. On the other hand, there's still too much procgen, and I find the Axiom Verge games very ugly so couldn't get excited for 2. Aww!

Mixed bag. It had something for everyone, and enough for me given that we weren't expecting anything until a few days ago. And I'm really quite excited by Murder by Numbers. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread   General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread - Page 35 Empty

Back to top Go down

General Nintendo Direct/Treehouse/Other Interweb Broadcast Thread
Page 35 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next