We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Would you recommend a Wii U?

Go down 
+6
Buskalilly
Jimbob
The_Jaster
masofdas
Balladeer
ZeroJones
10 posters
AuthorMessage
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

Would you recommend a Wii U? Empty
PostSubject: Would you recommend a Wii U?   Would you recommend a Wii U? EmptyFri 24 Oct 2014 - 7:45

Recently I've been 'outed' as a Nintendo gamer at work (something that never really happened at my previous workplace, even though I was there nine years... nine weeks of a new job and bam). One of the chaps asked me if I could recommend a Wii U; I've never been asked that before and, on reflection, I said "No".

Shocked

The reason being that most of the big Wii U games so far have been slightly disappointing to me (Super Mario 3D World, Wind Waker HD, Tropical Freeze) with the exception of Mario Kart 8. I couldn't recommend the system on that basis.

So the question is: would you recommend a Wii U to the average gamer from your part of the world?

Edit: I did recommend a 3DS, yes.

Last edited by ZeroJones on Sat 25 Oct 2014 - 8:00; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added (Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo) 3DS recommendation note.)
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Would you recommend a Wii U?   Would you recommend a Wii U? EmptyFri 24 Oct 2014 - 8:47

For me, the Wii U has one outstanding game (the aforementioned MK8), a lot of very good ones (SM3DW, DKCTF, RL, WWHD), a good selection of downloadables (CoL, GSTCE, possibly Teslagrad if I get around to getting on with it), and plenty of solid offerings in the pipeline. But you're not asking me to recommend it to me.

So, two things to consider. The first is, how many objectively good games are there on the console? And of course, objectivity is hard to measure, so you'd generally go with Metacritic or something like that. I think that between MK8, SM3DW, and Pikmin 3, you'd have a solid "top tier" for this point in the console's lifetime, with plenty more in the offering. No problems on that front, therefore.

But the second is what "the average gamer from my part of the world" wants to play. Looking at the charts, that's mostly FIFA and shootybang games, with the occasional standout from other genres. On that basis, no, I couldn't possibly give a Wii U recommendation to Joe "The Gamer" Games from Gaming Street, London.

So my first port of call would be to ask more questions about the relevant people's tastes. Only then would I feel able to give a recommendation or not.

(I hope you recommended them a 3DS instead! Winky Face )
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Would you recommend a Wii U?   Would you recommend a Wii U? EmptyFri 24 Oct 2014 - 9:24

Yes and No

NO as the main system of choice it might have some top tier titles due to having a 12 months head-start to the PS4ONE with likes of Bayo 1 & 2, DKCTF, HW, LEGO CITY, MK8, MH3U, NFS:MWU, NSMBU, NSLU, Ninja Gaiden, NLAND, Pikmin 3, Rayman Legends, Scribblenauts, Sonic Racing, Sonic Lost World, SM3DW, WWHD, W101 and even ZombiU

Then you've got loads coming and downloads such as NES Remix, but I was on twitter yesterday talking to a big gamer whom said he had no interest in either of two current gen systems, so I tweeted him saying what about the Wii U with him coming back not enough games and I've got a 3DS for Nintendo games, so in till it's cheaper (how cheap do people want as ShopTo has some great deals) or Zelda U is out then it's not for me.

So the YES is with you really like Nintendo and there games to play likes of the above and then due it's small library and lack of support from 3rd parties, I would recommend it as your second system behind a PS3 if you've yet to go to current gen then behind the PS4. So you get your FIFA's, Destiny's, COD's, Dragon Age's, Batman's etc's which you won't find on the U but then every so often you pick up a decent game on the U.  

But it does seem a lot of people go for a 3DS for there Nintendo goodness.

Also I have recommend the Wii U to three people and all three have bought one and enjoy it but I know it's there second system as two have PS4's and the other still has a PS3 which is his main.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Would you recommend a Wii U?   Would you recommend a Wii U? EmptyFri 24 Oct 2014 - 19:21

Yes I would.

There's lot's of fun games on the system especially if you want something different from the norm, for me it's the console with the most variety too in terms of genres.

Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Would you recommend a Wii U?   Would you recommend a Wii U? EmptyFri 24 Oct 2014 - 22:35

If someone didn't have a 360 or PS3, maybe one of the others first - either from that generation or a PS4 or XBone. But I would definitely recommend a WiiU over a PS4/XBone is they already own another format; I like Nintendo games, therefore I like my WiiU; however, I also like "Other" games, and am still purchasing items for the 360/PS3. I'd say, out of the three newest consoles, a WiiU.

If that's at all readable, then damn.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Would you recommend a Wii U?   Would you recommend a Wii U? EmptySat 25 Oct 2014 - 10:32

Yes, and I do; regularly and loudly. For my money it provides more fun and original gaming experiences than any other device. Would everyone I recommend it to agree? Probably not, but they can do one.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Would you recommend a Wii U?   Would you recommend a Wii U? EmptySun 26 Oct 2014 - 14:29

Interesting topic: like others I'd also say yes and no depending on circumstance.

Nintendo being fully behind Wii U is something that tends to mean I'd recommend a purchase now: there's plenty of great stuff around the corner, but as you say some of the big games have played it safe despite still being very good (Super Mario 3D World, Tropical Freeze, Wind Waker HD), and to a Nintendo fan they make it a harder sell: unpredictable Nintendo is best Nintendo.

Mario Kart 8, ZombiU, Lego City and the games made out of love rather than anything else -- TW101, Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2 -- are enough to make me say yes to most people, though, and as a local multiplayer machine it's unmatched. If you want big AAA titles from Nintendo, great multiplayer experiences like Nintendo Land and Wii Party U and unique indie titles (Affordable Space Adventures, Spin the Bottle, Stealth Inc. 2) it's an unwavering yes. And if the person missed out on the Wii it's pretty much essential at this point.

I think the biggest argument in saying yes would be that Nintendo is unlikely to go down this route ever again, best savour it while we still can and all that!
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: Would you recommend a Wii U?   Would you recommend a Wii U? EmptyMon 27 Oct 2014 - 18:11

On balance I probably would, but the issue "in my part of the world" is that I have no one to recommend one to. None of my mates are interested - amongst them, one is staunchly Sony, one rips the piss out of Nintendo when he can, one thinks video games are for kids, one can't afford it, one wouldn't be interested because it doesn't have FIFA updates and one didn't understand how to play New Super Mario Bros. Wii. I know literally no one who has a Wii U, or is interested in buying one.

I envy the folk I hear about online who can now get new Basic one with five or six games for under £200. As a bundle it's great value, but I wouldn't recommend the Premium Nintendo Land one at the £300 I paid.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: Would you recommend a Wii U?   Would you recommend a Wii U? EmptyTue 4 Nov 2014 - 1:34

Yes definitely, for the price you can pick them up now and the catalogue of games available, again at a very reasonable price, then there's a lot of fun to be had with the Wii U. It's still a unique experience too, the multiplayer sessions you can have with it are brilliant and just messing about with the menus and little features on the touch screen is still incredibly slick.

Granted a lot of people prefer your yearly updates of COD and FIFA these days but that wouldn't stop me recommending a Wii U, like any Nintendo system before it, the proof is in the pudding, you only need to play a few Nintendo games to realise how enjoyable they are.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Would you recommend a Wii U?   Would you recommend a Wii U? EmptyThu 27 Nov 2014 - 9:33

Someone just recommended a Wii U: http://t.co/r6Arn2EO1z

It's a compelling argument, though some of the points made near the end feel unnecessary.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Would you recommend a Wii U?   Would you recommend a Wii U? EmptyThu 27 Nov 2014 - 9:40

Arguments about sales, amiibo, "enough power" and "portability" (having made the much better "off-TV is ace" argument earlier up) are a bit dodgy, but there are some good points in there, too. The Wii U's got a good gaming line-up now, albeit not really good, and 2015 looks like a belter too.
Back to top Go down
fronkhead
Disciple of Scullion
fronkhead

PostSubject: Re: Would you recommend a Wii U?   Would you recommend a Wii U? EmptyThu 27 Nov 2014 - 9:44

Yup. Nintendo being committed to the system is probably the best argument I could make right now, it's a shame it hasn't really had any impact on whether people consider one or not. It still seems to be sitting on shelves based on perception (Dreamcast 2!) whereas the PS4 is flying off shelves based on hype and potential.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Would you recommend a Wii U?   Would you recommend a Wii U? EmptyThu 27 Nov 2014 - 11:06

Good to see a bigger medium champion the Wii U in TIME was it as IGN & Gamespot have put up things recently about the Wii U on how it's great and why you should own one but both those sites are for gamers whom should already know about the Wii U but that link of Fronk's he does say about secondary system near the start. Which I do think it will be, which could still mean good sells as if you bought your PS4 or ONE last year you might be picking up your U with SMASH for instance now.

Yay Dreamcast 2 even though that was the OG X-Box (which a lot seem to call x-box prime) but I get what you’re saying also balla what you comparing the Wii U library against if it's against its 8th gen counterparts then it's really good.

But even if you look at the Cube it had a far bigger amount of game than the U does now as it had 3rd party support with classic such as Beyond Good & Evil and even 3rd party exclusives with the likes Tales of Symphonia which the U hasn't had. But the Cube on pure exclusives that weren't ports e.g. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle the Cube only had about 40 exclusives where the U has including the eShop 78 exclusives and I've not even counted Wind Waker HD and both systems has a Kart, Smash etc only thing missing from the U is a Metroid & Zelda of any real note.

Last edited by masofdas on Thu 27 Nov 2014 - 11:46; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Balla)
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Would you recommend a Wii U?   Would you recommend a Wii U? EmptyThu 27 Nov 2014 - 11:36

Mas, I know that you and others think that I'm harsh for criticising grammar, but the top and bottom paragraphs were borderline illegible. What did poor Mr. Full Stop do to you, that he is so cruelly ignored? I'm not asking you to perfect all your "your"s and "you're"s: just separate your ideas out, so that the people who want to read them can!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Would you recommend a Wii U?   Would you recommend a Wii U? EmptyThu 27 Nov 2014 - 11:48

It read fine to me and Word which I Just copied it into to check it, but have made some changes I hope that are in the right place.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Would you recommend a Wii U?   Would you recommend a Wii U? EmptyThu 27 Nov 2014 - 14:15

It was purely the fact that they're two long sentences with no obvious break points for clauses. Better now, and I agree that the 'Cube seemed to be in a better position at the start than the Wii U is now. Much better launch, for one thing.
Back to top Go down
flora-chan
Wii U Port
flora-chan

PostSubject: Re: Would you recommend a Wii U?   Would you recommend a Wii U? EmptyTue 17 Mar 2015 - 13:57

It's a yes and no of the following questions:

Depends on the person's taste of games, who is it for adult or child and what they're interested in within the make Windows, Sony or Nintendo? If the person is a big fan of Nintendo than yes by all means get the console, it's another to your collection of generation upgraded.

But if it's the very first time experiencing Nintendo or wanting a first console in your house than no~! I am not saying it's a bad console, I do like the Wii U personally but there not enough games yet to even judge it to it's full glory. It's not good for first time beginners yet having them disappointed of not seeing enough games which is harsh on them, I would personally would recommend the PlayStation 3 now this min of time as there a lot more games choices for everyone and you will not be disappointed! Thumbs Up!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would you recommend a Wii U?   Would you recommend a Wii U? Empty

Back to top Go down

Would you recommend a Wii U?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GNamer Forum :: GNamer Forum :: Nintendo Gen. VIII Discussion (and Mobile)-
Jump to: