We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread

Go down 
+11
gjones
Buskalilly
Treesmurf
The_Jaster
oldschool
ZeroJones
Crumpy Andy
masofdas
JayMoyles
Admin
Balladeer
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
AuthorMessage
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 13 EmptyTue 17 Jul 2018 - 19:09

Not EA but the whole Phil Spencer saying single player games are dead and Ubisoft have a lovely pie chart about how to turn everything into a service.

Also companies like them don't post sales numbers for engagement numbers instead now.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 13 EmptyWed 1 Aug 2018 - 19:32

AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA! Get rekt scrub.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 13 EmptyWed 1 Aug 2018 - 20:20

On numbers, the Switch is closing in on 20m at 19.67m and 3DS is close to 73m on 72.89m and the PS4 just past 82m.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 13 EmptyTue 30 Oct 2018 - 11:40

Lot's of numbers today as companies are posting financial reports on the last quarter.

I'll start with Nintendo and the Switch that has now sold 22.86m SKUs LTD which means it has past the GameCube and only 10m away from the N64. For this fiscal year, the Switch has sold 5.07m units which 3.19m was from the last quarter, Nintendo has a forecast of 20m for this fiscal year, meaning the Switch has to sell 14.93m units in the next two quarters to meet this forecast.

Along with the hardware, software numbers were released for the Nintendo published games in the million club:

Super Mario Odyssey - 12.17 million
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 11.71 million
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 10.28 million
Splatoon 2 - 7.47 million
1-2-Switch - 2.64 million
Mario Tennis Aces - 2.16 million
ARMS - 2.10 million
Kirby Star Allies - 2.10 million
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - 1.67 million
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - 1.53 million

Now to PlayStation as the PS4 has now sold over 86m SKUs LTD making it the 6th best selling game system passing the PS3 and Xbox 360 but still 15m behind the Wii in 5th. Much like the Switch, Sony sold 3.9m consoles last quarter and have raised it's forecast for this financial year to 17.5m.

As I'm here let's look at the UK Chart

Red Dead Redemption 2 is the UK's Number 1 and had the second best launch of the year behind FIFA 19 which is on 3 more systems and not an 18, that it is understandable.

Few other things on RDR2 it sold double RDR but only did 27% of what GTAV did, most believe this is down to digital games which the UK Chart doesn't track.

For each format, the Number 1 games look like this:

PS3 FIFA 19
PS4 RDR2
PSP Brother in Arms D-Day
VITA Call of Duty Black Ops Declassified
360 RDR
ONE RDR 2
Wii Just Dance 2019
WiiU Just Dance 2019
Switch Super Mario Party
DS Style Boutique
3DS Mario Kart 7
PC Call of Duty Black Ops 4
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 13 EmptyTue 30 Oct 2018 - 20:05

I think that with the massive file size encouraging loads of folks to preload, I can imagine a huge chunk of RDR2's sales coming from digital platforms.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 13 EmptyTue 30 Oct 2018 - 20:34

I've since seen it's had the biggest entertainment opening ever and is the best launch ever on PSN for a full priced release.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 13 EmptyTue 30 Oct 2018 - 23:24

masofdas wrote:

For each format, the Number 1 games look like this:

PS3 FIFA 19
PS4 RDR2
PSP Brother in Arms D-Day
VITA Call of Duty Black Ops Declassified
360 RDR
ONE RDR 2
Wii Just Dance 2019
WiiU Just Dance 2019
Switch Super Mario Party
DS Style Boutique
3DS Mario Kart 7
PC Call of Duty Black Ops 4

I saw Just Dance 2019 was out as it's taken over the Wii-U eShop. Love that the Wii is still getting occasional releases too.

Where are the PSP numbers coming from? Is that new stock? Didn't think a PSP game had been released in 5+ years. Also interesting to see a COD game topping the VITA charts as that system is kept alive by Japanese imports these days.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 13 EmptyWed 31 Oct 2018 - 8:22

On Just Dance, three of them are in the Top 20 Wii U games with 2017 being a new entry as well.

Yep chart track still tracks PSP and DS, they only show Top 2 PSP games now though and Top 5 for DS (sorry Jay, I know how much you liked seeing the Top 10 for these). I guess much like that Game Gear game that was recently in the NPD, if it's new and sells through somewhere they track it will be knowledge.

The VITA one is odd as like your say it's mainly about the few (imports wouldn't count) Japanese games that come out but I guess same with RDR being number 1 360 game is the series is on people's minds.

Treesmurf has jokingly said about trying to get a PSP game to chart but I'm not sure where Chart Track Track, I would guess Amazon
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 13 EmptyMon 21 Jan 2019 - 18:43

We may all know that Spider-Man has sold 9 Million games and SMASH is umm smashing it, unfortunately it comes down to money and these are the biggest games of 2018 in terms of revenue.

Premium games
1. PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, Bluehole - $1.028 billion
2. FIFA 18, Electronic Arts - $790 million
3. Grand Theft Auto V, Take-Two Interactive - $628 million
4. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII, Activision Blizzard - $612 million
5. Red Dead Redemption 2, Take-Two Interactive - $516 million
6. Call of Duty: WWII, Activision Blizzard - $506 million
7. FIFA 19, Electronic Arts - $482 million
8. Monster Hunter: World, Capcom - $467 million
9. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege, Ubisoft - $440 million
10. Overwatch, Activision Blizzard - $429 million

Free to Play
1. Fortnite, Epic Games - $2.4 billion
2. Dungeon Fighter Online, Nexon - $1.5 billion
3. League of Legends, Riot Games, Tencent - $1.4 billion
4. Pokemon GO, Niantic - $1.3 billion
5. Crossfire, Neowiz Games - $1.3 billion
6. Honour of Kings, Tencent - $1.3 billion
7. Fate/Grand Order, Aniplex - $1.2 billion
8. Candy Crush Saga, King, Activision Blizzard - $1.1 billion
9. Monster Strike, Mixi - $1.0 billion
10. Clash Royale, Supercell, Tencent - $900 million

Basically service based games with some sort of DLC revenue like FUT packs is where the money is.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 13 EmptyMon 21 Jan 2019 - 20:08

masofdas wrote:

8. Monster Hunter: World, Capcom - $467 million

That's incredibly surprising as I'm assuming the other games in that chart have garnered their revenue through microtransactions alongside games sales. I didn't think the silly costumes and whatnot would have contributed to that figure.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 13 EmptyMon 21 Jan 2019 - 20:15

I know it's sold over 10m but as it's based on revenue you'd think some other games such as Spider-Man with 9m + DLC on top would generate more over all, that what DLC is in MHW might have done rather well.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 13 EmptyThu 24 Jan 2019 - 21:56

I hate this, I hate all of it, I know it could be said it's good for the industry all the money being made but I feel it's all one step closer to the death of the single player because no matter how great some of those have been these past few years, in the end money talks and I can see more a more companies going the route of microtransaction heavy games.

I hope it's just me bring pessimistic, I know I've put a lot of time (and a little money) in to the likes of Pokemon Go, Fortnite and GTA but my greatest gaming memories usually come from the single player experiences which most in those lists don't come close to.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/treesmurf11/featured
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 13 EmptyThu 24 Jan 2019 - 22:24

Oh it's utterly awful. I don't even think it's good for the industry because in most cases it's good for the wrong bits of the industry. King's not going to invest their money into making the next Zelda! Epic might make something great I s'ppose. The industry can't put a price tag on fond memories, sadly.

Oh wait - locking CoDMWHD behind whatever the CoD du jour was. Sulk
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 13 EmptyThu 24 Jan 2019 - 23:04

I would think most of RDR2 money at the time of this list would be from game sales not Online stuff, that you could say that's a win for single player and seeing numbers for likes of Spider-Man, God of War shows that they can do well still.

But I do think they will only come from Sony, Nintendo and indies with the rest such as EA going for the service money with maybe the odd single player game in the mix.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 13 EmptyThu 24 Jan 2019 - 23:37

I see what you are trying to say there mas and it's true to an extent but Rockstar is honestly the worst of the bunch when it comes to microtransactions, the only true shining light is MH World whose add-ons are not only really cheap but at no point does the actual game make you feel like you need to buy them.

Everything else tries to force stuff on to you, even Rainbow six takes the piss with some of their stuff.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 13 EmptyFri 25 Jan 2019 - 8:18

Yeah I'm glad Monster Hunter has done so well, that's an online game done right with all the free events and support, it's exactly what I'd want to see more of in this online gaming bubble we're living in

masofdas wrote:
I would think most of RDR2 money at the time of this list would be from game sales not Online stuff, that you could say that's a win for single player and seeing numbers for likes of Spider-Man, God of War shows that they can do well still.

But I do think they will only come from Sony, Nintendo and indies with the rest such as EA going for the service money with maybe the odd single player game in the mix.

Of course it's great to see that sort of stuff do well but as you mention that's only gonna come from a few companies, huge props to Sony in particular as they could easily go the other route but they've knocked it out the park these last few years with single player games and don't seem to be stopping.

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 13 EmptyFri 25 Jan 2019 - 17:07

When RDR2 is in that list next year it's due to Online and whatever you can buy with real money.

Good news though with the NPD's (North America) for 2018 as that has some single player games placing rather high, now Switch games don't count the eShop and EA games don't count PC, so those games might actually be higher

1st Red Dead Redemption 2
Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
NBA 2K19
Madden NFL 19
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Marvel’s Spider-Man
Far Cry 5
God of War
Monster Hunter: World
10th Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey
Grand Theft Auto V
Mario Kart 8
FIFA 19
Battlefield V
Super Mario Odyssey
Call of Duty: WWII
Dragon Ball: FighterZ
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Party
20th Pokemon: Lets Go Pikachu, I wonder where this would place if combined with Eevee

SMASH is the 5th best selling game of 2018 with only being on the market for a month along with being the best launch ever for an exclusive.

If the year ended in November PS4 would have been the best selling system which it was for every one of those 11 months, the Switch ended the year as the best selling system.

Basically, December was huge for Nintendo as it had 7 of the top 20 that month compared to 4 in November which two of those was Lets Go and ended having a massive effect on year-end.
Back to top Go down
Treesmurf
Dry Metal Baby Princess
Treesmurf

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 13 EmptySun 27 Jan 2019 - 0:51

It's a shame Nintendo is doomed and the Switch has no games though. That list is much more reassuring for myself at least, Smash in particular, erm, smashed it. I'm gonna predict Animal Crossing will have a similar effect this year shifting Switches to the more casual audience that Smash didn't grab (although Pokemon will have swayed a few of them).

Sent from Topic'it App
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 13 EmptySun 27 Jan 2019 - 0:56

I remember the 3DS having a ridiculous month when New Leaf came out, that I can very much see the same happening.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 13 EmptySat 2 Feb 2019 - 12:01

We have Q3 results people

Going to start with Nintendo who have lowered there forecast from 20m to 17m for Switch which has caused shares to drop by 9% which seems a bit nuts seeing 17m is still loads and the Switch as of Q3 has sold 32.27m (N64 is on 32.93 then it's SNES at 49.10m)

And considering how games have been selling and the Top 10 is no longer a 1m Club but a 2m+ Club

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe 15.02 million
Super Mario Odyssey 13.76 million
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate 12.08 million
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 11.68 million
Pokémon: Let's Go 10.00 million
Splatoon 2 8.27 million
Super Mario Party 5.30 million
1-2-Switch 2.86 million
Mario Tennis Aces 2.53 million
Kirby Star Allies 2.42 million

Other things also come out of this financial report like Dragon Quest Builders 2 is being published by Nintendo, Pokemon is now saying late 2019 and the President brought up they have at least one but maybe two unannounced games and they want to improve the online.

Sony also sort of announced there Q3 results but not as robust as Nintendo's for instance, what we do know is the PS4 has now sold 94.2m SKUs and in 2018 the PS4 was the best selling console in the world.

Which is a little bit saying thing's to make you look good as the calendar year 2018 it is correct PS4 was the best selling system and much easier to put in an advert best selling console for the fifth year running compared to Nintendo who would have to put best selling console worldwide fiscal year 2018.

The other thing we know is PSN brought in $12.5 Billion which is more than all of Nintendo, and the only info we have on Microsoft is the gaming division is up year-on-year but took about $11.5 Billion from reports, again Sony took more just from PSN without console & physical game sells etc.
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 13 EmptySat 2 Feb 2019 - 17:49

That's some staggering numbers for SSBU. I wouldn't be surprised to see it topping the list in the near future.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 13 EmptySun 3 Feb 2019 - 12:53

Absurd from Smash - and a little sad to see three games topping BotW, to be honest. As a launch title and the Best Game Ever, I'd have hoped it would have done a llittle better than that. Which utter lunatics (Mas aside) have Switches without it, unless they bought it on Wii U?
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 13 EmptySun 3 Feb 2019 - 13:02

Japanese fans- Zelda is actually far less popular in its native land than it is in the west.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 13 EmptySun 3 Feb 2019 - 13:19

I did not know that. Confused Mind you, Japanese fans wanted Chrom in Smash over Dark Samus, so...
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 13 EmptySun 3 Feb 2019 - 13:45

Thats not even Luke in Japan knowledge - I remember reading in many aNintendo mag over the years that Metroid and Zelda are considered bigNintendo franchises in America and Europe but less so in Japan. Mario, Kirby, Pokemon, even Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem, are probably bigger deals here.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread   The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread - Page 13 Empty

Back to top Go down

The (Hypocritical) Gaming Sales and Finance Thread
Page 13 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next