We regret to inform you that we have cancelled Hollow Knight Silksong out of spite. Please understand.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tired Old Hack

Go down 
+10
gjones
The_Jaster
JayMoyles
fronkhead
Buskalilly
masofdas
Jimbob
Dead Lemon
Balladeer
ZeroJones
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

Tired Old Hack - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 7 EmptyTue 7 Feb 2017 - 21:09

Thanks for occasionally taking time off from your rockstar city-hopping podcast-hosting medium-bucks-home-bringing lifestyle to occasionally post here, sir! (And thanks for keeping that avatar, even if it makes me well up a tad. Sad )
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 7 EmptyWed 8 Feb 2017 - 21:55

Everyone give Scullion a hug.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 7 EmptyThu 9 Feb 2017 - 16:29

Going to give a listen to EP4 now as I didn't want to hear any Res Evil 7 stuff.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 7 EmptyThu 9 Feb 2017 - 16:55

Can I just say how excited I am about episode 5. I've got it downloaded ready for a choice listening moment.
I think I'm a bit different from a lot of the GNamer crowd in that I was very into the NOM and NOMUK stuff before the change to ONM. Sure, a lot of the humour is dated and immature and in poor taste, but I was 12-15 so it was right up my street. Mike Jackson had a real love for Nintendo, and a lot of that rubbed off on me. The combination of fun nonsense, fanservice and the actual content was what made me love games mags. The relative dryness of early ONM lead me to start buying NGamer as well, and obviously I'm now all about dat life, but I was a big ONM fan back in the day. Obviously, ONM eventually developed a personality of its own, thanks in no small part to Mr. Scullion, but I don't think a slick, professional, sensible mag ever suited Nintendo.
I even had the pleasure of meeting Mike a couple of times, and he was absolutely sound.
Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 7 EmptyWed 15 Feb 2017 - 20:53

Having listened to it I'm not surprised! I'm sure you'd draw a penis in the first version of Pictochat and find it hilarious. Nah nah!

Episode five was a bit of a duffer for me. I tune in for Scullion, not his unfunny mate Mike; and it was awfully moany. I've heard enough moaning about the Switch elsewhere. Especially when Mike was talking about this year's line-up. 'What's out this year, apart from a new Zelda, and a new Mario? Oh and you're not allowed to count MK8D or Spla2n, even though Spla2n will appeal to those who bought a Wii U and MK8D to those who didn't.' Neutral

It sounds like episode 6 could be more cheerful. Here's hoping.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 7 EmptyWed 15 Feb 2017 - 22:22

I loved it and found Mike delightful and funny. And as far as gaming podcasts go, the Switch chat didn't feel negative at all.

...and of course that was the first thing I did on pictochat. And miiverse, swapnote, flipnote . . .
Back to top Go down
Chris Scullion
Ejected into the Lava
Chris Scullion

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 7 EmptyThu 16 Feb 2017 - 13:53

Cheers for the kind words guys.

My hope (strange though it may seem) is not that everyone will love every episode, because that's something I reckon is frankly impossible to achieve.

To be honest, the reaction I'm seeing from you guys is as good as I could have hoped for: some people will love certain guests, whereas others won't. But those people may enjoy listening to other guests.

I knew having Mike on would divide the listenership a bit because not everyone remembers the days of NOM, but for those who do it would have been a worthwhile listen.

As for him being negative on the Switch... just wait until the next episode and we start talking about Mario Smile Trust me, he's as hyped as anyone for it, he's just being realistic about the first year.

Got a wide range of guests lined up so hopefully you'll like more than you don't Smile
Back to top Go down
http://tiredoldhack.com
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 7 EmptyThu 16 Feb 2017 - 22:08

Ach, any podcast will have a couple of episodes that won't click with specific listeners - I loved your episode with Kate Gray for example (you both bounce off each other wonderfully!), but I wasn't as engaged listening to the next episode with Meg. I think the big take-away is that we're all still tuning in and listening. Thanks for popping by, as always! Thumbs Up!

I need to catch up on Episodes Four and Five still myself - think I'll bash on with EP4 on the commute tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 7 EmptyFri 17 Feb 2017 - 6:44

I actually do remember NOM!  I picked up a couple of the issues, but, well...

Drunkalilly wrote:
Sure, a lot of the humour is dated and immature and in poor taste...

Anyway, looking forward to giving episode 6 a listen.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 7 EmptySat 18 Feb 2017 - 4:05

Balla wrote:

I actually do remember NOM! I picked up a couple of the issues, but, well...

It only had pictures everywhere. Winky Face
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 7 EmptyThu 23 Feb 2017 - 9:32

Listening to TOH podcast 5 right now and I'm more in agreement with Balla than Drunka: there's a lot of worry about the Switch, although you get the impression that it's from a place of love, a fan's place, rather than trying to tear it down. Looking forward to the next one nonetheless! Grin
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 7 EmptyThu 23 Feb 2017 - 22:33

Hooray, I got a mention! Grin At least it might have been me.  I'll agree the episode 6 was a fair bit cheerier.  

Still not convinced by Mike though.  I know it was because of technical issues, but he sounded like he was talking over you/Chris a lot, and he just... wasn't... as... funny?  In fact, I was one of the few survey-fillers who didn't want guest hosts on the podcast, and so far I stand by that vote.  I didn't mind Meg: being quieter than the others, that allowed us to hear more Scullion, and that's what I come to TOH for.  

(Also he thinks that SM3DW, and its soundtrack, are better than Galaxy('s), which frankly should be a prison-worthy offence. DAMN YOU! )

Anyway, I'm glad we're all hyped for SMO.  Something we can all get behind. Smile
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 7 EmptyFri 24 Feb 2017 - 8:32

I've listened to 1-4 and started 5 but did find it a little boring that I stopped and not bothered with 6 at all.

I do want guests as just Scullion on his own, might be a bit boring all the time as his wife being on is sort of funny but it is nice to hear other opinions then Scullion and Guest can have a chat about it.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 7 EmptyFri 24 Feb 2017 - 11:31

Sometimes you guys feel like you live on a whole different planet from me . . .
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 7 EmptyFri 24 Feb 2017 - 14:25

masofdas wrote:
I've listened to 1-4 and started 5 but did find it a little boring that I stopped and not bothered with 6 at all.

I do want guests as just Scullion on his own, might be a bit boring all the time as his wife being on is sort of funny but it is nice to hear other opinions then Scullion and Guest can have a chat about it.

That's an interesting point. I wasn't keen on Scullion's podcast with his wife and I think it's because his voice isn't the greatest to listen to, HOWEVER, my favourite feature that Chris has done on TOH is his Gemhunter series where he plays 30 minutes of a game that was a quid in CEX. These are hilarious and I prefer these video commentary pieces to his podcast work. Also feel that the podcast has meant less writing/video pieces.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 7 EmptyFri 24 Feb 2017 - 14:30

gjones wrote:
Also feel that the podcast has meant less writing/video pieces.

He did have a wrist injury, though. I think he even said part of the reason he's turned to 'casting is to give himself a break while still getting #content out there.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 7 EmptyFri 24 Feb 2017 - 19:27

Drunkalilly wrote:
Sometimes you guys feel like you live on a whole different planet from me . . .

Come over to this planet, our tonic water's brill.
Back to top Go down
Chris Scullion
Ejected into the Lava
Chris Scullion

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 7 EmptySat 25 Feb 2017 - 11:50

I'm grateful for this discussion because all it's doing is proving I can't please everyone Winky Face

I promise I'll have podcasts with guests, podcasts without guests, more Gemhunter videos and more writing soon.

In fact, I currently have a certain new piece of hardware plugged into my TV and am planning on reviewing every single launch game for it over the next month or so, so there's more writing to come than I've ever done.

Thanks guys x
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 7 EmptySat 25 Feb 2017 - 12:10

I don't envy reviewing 13 games with likes of Just Dance.
Back to top Go down
Chris Scullion
Ejected into the Lava
Chris Scullion

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 7 EmptySat 25 Feb 2017 - 12:19

masofdas wrote:
I don't envy reviewing 13 games with likes of Just Dance.

You mean this Just Dance?

Tired Old Hack - Page 7 20170210
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 7 EmptySat 25 Feb 2017 - 16:19

I believe he was referring to the 1983 David Bowie song, and I have to agree. Writing critically about an artist like Bowie at a time like this would be an unenviable position for anyone.

While we're at it Chris: I've thoroughly enjoyed every episode so far and think they're all talking bollocks. You even made the cut when I cancelled a load of podcast subscriptions to give myself more time to listen to other stuff.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 7 EmptySat 25 Feb 2017 - 21:31

Just finished listening to TOHP6. It was good fun, especially any time anyone mentioned anything to do with Mario. Love Also, Just Dance must be more exciting than last time I played it, judging by Chris's mildly happy expression there. Eh?
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 7 EmptyMon 27 Feb 2017 - 6:03

Drunkalilly wrote:
While we're at it Chris: I've thoroughly enjoyed every episode so far and think they're all talking bollocks. You even made the cut when I cancelled a load of podcast subscriptions to give myself more time to listen to other stuff.

For what it's worth I'd do the same.  Episode 5 was the first one I wasn't really keen on. Unlike GJones, I really like Chris and his patter, so I'm looking forward to episode seven!
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 7 EmptyMon 27 Feb 2017 - 9:32

The Bomberman piece is now up, and I'm about to give it a read
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 7 EmptyMon 27 Feb 2017 - 12:47

It is immense. Immense. And thorough. And a decent read, too. Thumbs Up!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tired Old Hack   Tired Old Hack - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Tired Old Hack
Page 7 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
GNamer Forum :: Gaming Miscellaneous :: GNamer Gaming News-
Jump to: