Nintendo in encouraging Emio-lation shocker

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Usernames: What Type Do You Use?

Go down 
+9
masofdas
Buskalilly
JayMoyles
shanks
Dead Lemon
ZeroJones
Crumpy Andy
Balladeer
Athrun888
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

Usernames: What Type Do You Use? Empty
PostSubject: Usernames: What Type Do You Use?   Usernames: What Type Do You Use? EmptySun 24 May 2015 - 11:01

Usernames.  We all use them, for forums, for social media beyond forums, and most importantly, for video games.  In modern times user created character names have decreased in proportion with the newer focus on fixed leads and "movie" type storylines, but they still exist and in yesteryear most video games would ask the player to input a name for the main character / player avatar.  

I've been waffling on without getting to the point of this topic, after all, all of that is common knowledge.  There are several types of usernames people tend to use that I've noticed.  First there's the obvious cases of using real life names or some sort of name formed using ones real life name as a basis.  Next there's the usernames based off something the person in question likes (this can take the form of something basic like "Athrun", or something that takes multiple words and creates a new one).  There's a completely new username that the person keeps largely uniform across all forms of entertainment, but has no link to either their real name nor their interests.  It's just a name they like and decided to use for everything from then on.  

Thinking about this made me wonder, what type of usernames does everyone tend to lean towards for video games?  And why did you choose to do what you did?

I myself am the last option, I decided on a name back when I was a child and for the most part I've been calling my various avatars that name ever since.  Ace, it's simple, sounds snappy, and it also rolls off the tongue nicely, and I doubt I'll ever change it.  Every incarnation of Link has been called Ace, every Pokemon trainer bar one has been called Ace (in fact Pokemon Gold is where I first used the name), it's a name that has essentially become my alter-ego for the purposes of a game when I think about it.

There have been a few exceptions, there was a time several years back where "Athrun" was the name of choice before I went back to Ace (nowadays if I use Athrun it's for the sake of consistency), and there are the occasional games like Persona 3 and 4 which want a first and last name where I typically used a combination of Ace and my last name for 3 and my pretty much never used middle name and last name for 4 (that said when I did a "perfect" run of 4 I switched back to Ace for the run).  

But that's enough about me, it's your turn now.  What type of username do you usually gravitate to for video games, and why? Any stories you'd like to share?
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: Usernames: What Type Do You Use?   Usernames: What Type Do You Use? EmptySun 24 May 2015 - 11:05

It depends on the game. Link is always Link for me, but that's because the avatar Link has a history and some character, unlike yer average faceless JRPG protagonist. Also, there's a cemented default name.

For games like Pokémon, it's a variant of Balladeer. "Ballad" when there aren't enough letters, "Balladess" when I'm gender swapped. Same in Smash Bros., same for any game where there's a high-score table (if I can be bothered - if not, "AAAAAAA"). No need to think.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Usernames: What Type Do You Use?   Usernames: What Type Do You Use? EmptySun 24 May 2015 - 11:40

I always go for Andrew unless it's something like Final Fantasy or Zelda where I'll keep the name. I'll often keep the standard name in games with avatars if I'm replaying though. I hate picking names of other people.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Usernames: What Type Do You Use?   Usernames: What Type Do You Use? EmptySun 24 May 2015 - 12:04

My name, unless it's a Final Fantasy game, at which point I keep the default name. I did used to use other names: 'Bally' was common, and I used 'Bentley' once (big fan of Bentley Rhythm Ace). The last time I had a different name was on the GNamer Nuzlocke of Emerald, where I called myself 'Shappi' (as I'd just finished reading comedian Shappi Khorsandi's book).
Back to top Go down
Dead Lemon
FMK Tagline
Dead Lemon

PostSubject: Re: Usernames: What Type Do You Use?   Usernames: What Type Do You Use? EmptySun 24 May 2015 - 15:25

Link if it's a Zelda game.

My real life nickname for most other games.

Occasionally names that sound cool or funny if I feel my name isn't suited or I fancy a change.

Back to top Go down
shanks
Raging Pedant
shanks

PostSubject: Re: Usernames: What Type Do You Use?   Usernames: What Type Do You Use? EmptySun 24 May 2015 - 16:01

Yeah Link for a Zelda game.

These days for Pokemon If I use the female trainer I'll use their name (May,Dawn etc).
Everything else is usually Shanks
Back to top Go down
JayMoyles
Galactic Nova
JayMoyles

PostSubject: Re: Usernames: What Type Do You Use?   Usernames: What Type Do You Use? EmptySun 24 May 2015 - 18:09

Jumping in with the "Link in Zelda games" choice too.

As for everything else, I usually go James or Jay. Nothing fancy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jamesjmoyles.blogspot.com
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: Usernames: What Type Do You Use?   Usernames: What Type Do You Use? EmptySun 24 May 2015 - 18:22

I use Luke if I'm playing as a male, Lilly if I'm playing as a girl. Elsewhere, I use Buskalilly or Buska if I don't feel the need to use a real name.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Usernames: What Type Do You Use?   Usernames: What Type Do You Use? EmptySun 24 May 2015 - 18:24

With a game like Zelda or Final Fantasy it's the default name.

And everything else like a dragon age I normally always play a female if there's choice it's Zowey.
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Usernames: What Type Do You Use?   Usernames: What Type Do You Use? EmptySun 24 May 2015 - 19:37

I just usually go with Jaster/Jas or James, I'm quite surprised to see most of you choosing to stick with the name Link in Zelda games as considering how many years have usually passed between each game it has always made sense to me to go with something different.
Back to top Go down
Dead Lemon
FMK Tagline
Dead Lemon

PostSubject: Re: Usernames: What Type Do You Use?   Usernames: What Type Do You Use? EmptySun 24 May 2015 - 23:25

The first time I played Ocarina of Time was when I borrowed it from an older cousin. His save file - and therefore name for Link? Zelda.

Lost a lot of respect for my cousin that day, fuckin' casual gaming scrub. No
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Usernames: What Type Do You Use?   Usernames: What Type Do You Use? EmptyMon 25 May 2015 - 1:07

That is pretty bad. Laughing
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Usernames: What Type Do You Use?   Usernames: What Type Do You Use? EmptyMon 25 May 2015 - 9:11

Unless he knew it was a joke like this

Usernames: What Type Do You Use? What-if-zelda-was-a-girl

@Jas reason I call Link, Link as that's who I feel I'm playing as no different to Master Chief in Halo or Sam Fisher in Splinter Cell. Where take a Dragon Age I'm making my own story with my own made character.
Back to top Go down
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: Usernames: What Type Do You Use?   Usernames: What Type Do You Use? EmptyMon 25 May 2015 - 9:15

I get where he's coming from, would be a very weird coincidence if every hero of the world happened to be called Link...
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: Usernames: What Type Do You Use?   Usernames: What Type Do You Use? EmptyMon 25 May 2015 - 9:17

Aye, you'd be wary of naming your child 'Link', wouldn't you?
Back to top Go down
Kinitawowi
Magikarp

PostSubject: Re: Usernames: What Type Do You Use?   Usernames: What Type Do You Use? EmptyMon 25 May 2015 - 11:49

The default in Final Fantasy (changing default names gets you a ticket to the sixth circle of Hell with the rest of the heretics, as far as I'm concerned); Kinitawowi for 99% of forums, and astonishingly bad puns or references in anything else (record low; Diablo 2's Saladin the Paladin).
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: Usernames: What Type Do You Use?   Usernames: What Type Do You Use? EmptyMon 25 May 2015 - 18:24

Mas wrote:
@Jas reason I call Link, Link as that's who I feel I'm playing as no different to Master Chief in Halo or Sam Fisher in Splinter Cell. Where take a Dragon Age I'm making my own story with my own made character.

andyman949 wrote:
I get where he's coming from, would be a very weird coincidence if every hero of the world happened to be called Link...

Oh don't get me wrong I do understand the reasons for people that do use "Link" I just feel Nintendo have been really clever with that name as it's the perfect way describe these Legendary heroes and how they may be descendants or maybe it's the same story being retold by different generations?

It is a "Legend" after all.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: Usernames: What Type Do You Use?   Usernames: What Type Do You Use? EmptyMon 25 May 2015 - 18:48

I've always thought that and the time line is a bit bullocks & just there for the sake of it.
Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Usernames: What Type Do You Use?   Usernames: What Type Do You Use? EmptyMon 25 May 2015 - 22:42

I never leave the default character name, as I assume (e.g. with Zeldas) that more than one person will be saving. However, I've got so bored with typing James or Jimbob into a screen that involves sliding the cursor across a grid of letters, that I usually get bored and spam things by about the third letter; I'm therefore usually Jimmmmmm
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: Usernames: What Type Do You Use?   Usernames: What Type Do You Use? EmptyTue 26 May 2015 - 9:25

Dead Lemon wrote:
The first time I played Ocarina of Time was when I borrowed it from an older cousin. His save file - and therefore name for Link? Zelda.

Lost a lot of respect for my cousin that day, fuckin' casual gaming scrub. No

But if you call yourself ZELDA in Link's Awakening you get alternate music. Maybe he was seeing if the same thing happened.

The correct way to name Link though is to swap the vowel for another. Lonk is always my favourite legendary hero
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: Usernames: What Type Do You Use?   Usernames: What Type Do You Use? EmptyThu 28 May 2015 - 21:55

I wonder if Nintendo are onto the Lonk meme? That'd be a laugh to see a reference in the WiiU Zelda.
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Usernames: What Type Do You Use?   Usernames: What Type Do You Use? Empty

Back to top Go down

Usernames: What Type Do You Use?
Page 1 of 1