We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What kind of gamer are you?

Go down 
+9
OrangeRakoon
gjones
Muss
ZeroJones
Crumpy Andy
Balladeer
Buskalilly
masofdas
Athrun888
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

What kind of gamer are you? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What kind of gamer are you?   What kind of gamer are you? - Page 2 EmptySun 15 Nov 2015 - 11:14

When I think of or see the term JRPG I usually think of something that's colourful & anime-esque which obviously Dark Souls isn't, like mas said it's definitely became it's own genre now.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What kind of gamer are you?   What kind of gamer are you? - Page 2 EmptySun 15 Nov 2015 - 11:18

And it's back to the genre debates again! I've never thought of the Souls series as JRPGs, though (which is a black mark against them in my very subjective book). Defining exactly what is and isn't is harder: obviously turn-based battles are a staple of the genre, but then some of the best like XC and TWEWY haven't been turn-based.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: What kind of gamer are you?   What kind of gamer are you? - Page 2 EmptySun 15 Nov 2015 - 12:43

Yeah I think the thing is now Balla is lot's of games do lots of things and lot's like to add RPG elements to them even the Tomb Raider reboots have RPG elements.

And because of the you do get new genres such as the Souls-like in till anther comes along and makes it a cooler genre like Metroidvania and theres the crafting genre.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: What kind of gamer are you?   What kind of gamer are you? - Page 2 EmptySun 15 Nov 2015 - 12:54

You could probably break down the JRPG genre with lots of subdivisions, but then you could end up with bloated/silly genres, like the music industry - Scottish Pirate Metal, anyone? Eh?

What is clear is that a JRPG does not have to be developed in Japan. Grin
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: What kind of gamer are you?   What kind of gamer are you? - Page 2 EmptyMon 16 Nov 2015 - 11:11

I disagree! I think about the only way you can sensibly define a JRPG is as an RPG made in Japan. Anything else will defy definition because the genre is so large and varied. I'd call a western RPG with JRPG stylings a JRPG-like, but not a JRPG. Likewise, I'd call Dark Souls a western-styled JRPG.

Turn based has nothing to do with it when there are just as many action JRPGs as there are turn based ones (e.g. Tales Series, which is even more different in that it plays like a brawler).

I also don't think the Souls series departs significantly enough from the action RPG framework to be classed as its own genre. A specific sub-genre, perhaps, due to the online elements especially. But it's not a complete reinvention of gaming. I'd describe the Souls series as a little like a fusion of MH-styled combat against small enemies with western RPG theming.
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: What kind of gamer are you?   What kind of gamer are you? - Page 2 EmptyMon 16 Nov 2015 - 11:53

Then your saying Child of Light isn't a JRPG as it was made by one of Ubisoft's team or Edge of Eternity which is being made in France isn't either yet it's being presented to the public as a JRPG.

And with Dark Souls when Lord of the Fallen & Bloodborne came out know one went there JRPG's with western influence people just went there Souls-like which there is a good few in that genre, I can think 7.

Plus with your definition Fire Emblem is a JRPG but it's not it's a Tactical or Strategy RPG & that Etrian Odyssey is a JRPG which it isn't it's a Dungeon Crawler but I do agree JRPG's don't have to be turn based or what ever but they have a certain feel that others don't and Souls-like don't have that feel to them what so ever or do they feel like a western RPG of let's say Oblivion.

Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: What kind of gamer are you?   What kind of gamer are you? - Page 2 EmptyMon 16 Nov 2015 - 11:59

When this genre debate appeared last time didn't we agree to use whatever wikipedia said a games genre was?
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: What kind of gamer are you?   What kind of gamer are you? - Page 2 EmptyMon 16 Nov 2015 - 12:10

I think we did which means Dark Souls is a Action-RPG but there a Wiki page for Souls-like.

With the Wikipedia rule that means I can't use Metroidvania or you Metroid-like but action adventure.
Back to top Go down
OrangeRakoon
Disciple of Greener
OrangeRakoon

PostSubject: Re: What kind of gamer are you?   What kind of gamer are you? - Page 2 EmptyMon 16 Nov 2015 - 12:42

masofdas wrote:
Then your saying Child of Light isn't a JRPG as it was made by one of Ubisoft's team or Edge of Eternity which is being made in France isn't either yet it's being presented to the public as a JRPG.

Yeah, it's not. And as far as I am aware it hasn't been marketed as one either. Child of Light is a platforming RPG hybrid.

masofdas wrote:
And with Dark Souls when Lord of the Fallen & Bloodborne came out know one went there JRPG's with western influence people just went there Souls-like which there is a good few in that genre, I can think 7.

Seven? Once you discount the games made by From Software, I can only think of Lords of the Fallen. I would argue that is more of a straight up clone of the Souls games than a new entry into a genre.

masofdas wrote:
Plus with your definition Fire Emblem is a JRPG but it's not it's a Tactical or Strategy RPG & that Etrian Odyssey is a JRPG which it isn't it's a Dungeon Crawler but I do agree JRPG's don't have to be turn based or what ever but they have a certain feel that others don't and Souls-like don't have that feel to them what so ever or do they feel like a western RPG of let's say Oblivion.

Fire Emblem is a JRPG because it is a Japanese RPG and it's a tactical RPG because it is a tactical RPG. Easy. Etrian Odyssey is also a JRPG and a dungeon crawler (a dungeon crawler is a sub-genre of RPG I would think).

The Souls games definitely feel like they have elements of both JRPGs and Western RPGs in my opinion. The western influence in theme is obvious, with the lore and the setting (I would actually use Oblivion as an example for showing this, not against it). The JRPG influence really shows through in the combat.

But yeah, genres are not strictly defined and can't be, so it's silly to argue over what is and isn't what!
Back to top Go down
http://www.orkn.uk
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What kind of gamer are you?   What kind of gamer are you? - Page 2 EmptyMon 16 Nov 2015 - 16:16

Then again, we're not a very sensible forum! As long as everyone's civil and nobody takes it personally I don't see the harm. Smile
Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: What kind of gamer are you?   What kind of gamer are you? - Page 2 EmptyMon 16 Nov 2015 - 18:27

I now confirm that Dark souls is part of the best on the planet genre.

Population: 1
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: What kind of gamer are you?   What kind of gamer are you? - Page 2 EmptyMon 16 Nov 2015 - 18:28

OrangeRakoon wrote:
But yeah, genres are not strictly defined and can't be, so it's silly to argue over what is and isn't what!

Bang on. I was going to say that I basically equate 'JRPG' with 'turn-based RPG', which is why I'm happy to have JRPG's from outside Japan... so now I've explained myself, I shall be away!

*smoke bomb* Ninja
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: What kind of gamer are you?   What kind of gamer are you? - Page 2 EmptyMon 16 Nov 2015 - 18:31

I misread that as "snake bomb".

No No No
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: What kind of gamer are you?   What kind of gamer are you? - Page 2 EmptyMon 16 Nov 2015 - 22:35

I'm going to have to agree to disagree with you OR as seems weird to me to say because something is somewhere the all the same.

But this isn't really any issue at the moment unless in Balla's Wii U vote it has genres & then it just be general RPG which I guess Mass Effect 3 would win be default.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: What kind of gamer are you?   What kind of gamer are you? - Page 2 EmptyFri 5 Feb 2016 - 17:23

Balla said something in the Undertale thread about if it comes to Wii U or guess announced officially he would drop the STEAM version and play the Wii U version (I reckon be more like NX version if the started working on it now) as he's a "RAPID FANBOY".

This got me thinking about a argument on twitter back when the Xbox One was announced as when it was, it had all that stupid DRM always online crap and I wouldn't of touched with a barge pole.

Basically I said that on Twitter and I was called out as not fan of Xbox especially seeing I had sold my 360 to buy my Wii U sort of 6 months before and that I was a Pony.

We had a debate and this person had been a fan of Xbox since about the 360 elite (if memory serves me right) and even had a gears of war ink where myself had bought a OG Xbox at launch and you get the picture.

Anyway was called less of a fan and this person was more of a fan as they had ink etc, that I'm posting here we've said what sort of gamers we are but how do measure if your more of fan like this person is getting at.

Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: What kind of gamer are you?   What kind of gamer are you? - Page 2 EmptyFri 5 Feb 2016 - 18:10

I'm a RAPID FANBOY, I like something really quickly, then love it for life. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
Crumpy Andy
Zeta Metroid
Crumpy Andy

PostSubject: Re: What kind of gamer are you?   What kind of gamer are you? - Page 2 EmptyFri 5 Feb 2016 - 18:13

I don't care if someone doesn't think I like something Laughing
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: What kind of gamer are you?   What kind of gamer are you? - Page 2 EmptyFri 5 Feb 2016 - 18:44

If you're going to judge how much of a fan you are, then you'd have to look at parameters like income/percentage of income spent on the hobby or time spent on it. Ultimately, though, as Andy rightly points out, it's not worth it. There are always going to be 'bigger' 'fans' of whatever it is out there. As ever, as long as you're enjoying yourself, that's what counts.
Back to top Go down
Buskalilly
Farore
Buskalilly

PostSubject: Re: What kind of gamer are you?   What kind of gamer are you? - Page 2 EmptyFri 5 Feb 2016 - 19:54

As long as you can honestly say you love something, you're a fan. Comparing how much you like something to how much someone else does, and your parameters for fandom to there's, is as redundant as it gets.
Back to top Go down
https://www.gintendo.co.uk/a-luke-at-japan
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: What kind of gamer are you?   What kind of gamer are you? - Page 2 EmptyFri 5 Feb 2016 - 19:59

It was just a random thought (may of suited there) about what sort of gamer you are and how may define it.

What Zero said was the argument I kinda used at the time which is like 3 years ago now that MS would see me more as fan as I gave them more money but is rather stupid.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What kind of gamer are you?   What kind of gamer are you? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

What kind of gamer are you?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2