We've got a Good Feeling about Peach's new game.

HomeHome  DiscordDiscord  TwitterTwitter  YouTubeYouTube  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  GintendoGintendo  GRcadeGRcade  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

We hardly knew (Wii) U

Go down 
+8
gjones
The_Jaster
JayMoyles
ZeroJones
Balladeer
Buskalilly
The Cappuccino Kid
masofdas
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 2 EmptyThu 28 Apr 2016 - 11:55

The Cappuccino Kid wrote:
It isn't as rubbish as the Saturn (which was mostly rubbish, let's be fair).

I'll remember it as, hopefully, a one-off: "a good console that was launched badly, supported badly, and underperformed despite that". I'll look back on stuff like Smash, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon and Miiverse with a lot of fondness, but, aye, let's not do the Wii U again.

Aye that pretty much covers it really.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 2 EmptyThu 28 Apr 2016 - 23:05

gjones wrote:
masofdas wrote:

Personally it's sort of going to be Nintendo's SEGA Saturn, some great titles and did well in it's native land but a short life with not many SKUs sold and ultimately seemingly going to be replaced by a system a while off, with little in between them.

I was thinking that yesterday. I remember how the Saturn had just Burning Rangers and Panzer Dragoon Saga in 1998, and then 9 months of 1999 was empty. The Dreamcast had great software coming out of its ears when it launched though Smile

Yeah I brought that up in the NX thread, hopefully the empty time on Nintendo consoles leads to a great NX launch line-up, which could equal the Dreamcasts but not sure something like SoulCalibur being exclusive on NX would be a big deal now.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 2 EmptyThu 28 Apr 2016 - 23:15

The Wii U Empty Time™ better be building towards Dreamcast-to-NX ports of Ready 2 Rumble Boxing and Trickstyle.
Back to top Go down
gjones
Disciple of Scullion
gjones

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 2 EmptyFri 29 Apr 2016 - 10:15

Ready 2 Rumble was great fun. With that, Power Stone, Sonic, Sega Rally, Soul Calibur, House of the Dead 2 and Virtua Fighter 3tb, I think my head would explode if the NX launched with the Nintendo equivalents.

Punch Out NX (Ready 2 Rumble)
Smash Bros NX or a Capcom exclusive (Power Stone) - *prays for Resi 7*
Super Mario NX (Sonic Adventure) – there needs to be a Mario title at launch
F-Zero/Wave Race – (Sega Rally) – a racer, basically
Exclusive from Namco (Soul Calibur) – or even a new Soul Calibur
A “mature” title (House of the Dead 2) – seeing as lightgun shooters and arcade games in general aren’t system sellers.
A hardcore but ultimately dated title (Virtua Fighter 3tb) – maybe a 2D platformer!
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 2 EmptyFri 29 Apr 2016 - 10:25

gjones wrote:
Super Mario NX (Sonic Adventure) – there needs to be a proper 3D Mario title at launch

Otherwise, that looks pretty good from an objective standpoint, but I'd only play about three of those. Still, that's one more than the number of Wii U launch games I tolerated.
Back to top Go down
https://balladsandwords.wordpress.com/
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 2 EmptyFri 29 Apr 2016 - 15:03

A platformer, a sports game, a racer and a demo of what makes the console unique. Perhaps a beat-em-up too. That's what I'll usually look for.

Thinking about it, with my Wii U I got NSMBU, Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed, Tekken Tag 2 and Nintendo Land, so I was quite happy with four out of the five. Same goes for the Wii: Sonic & The Secret Rings, SSX Blur, Wii Sports and Wii Play.

NX really needs Super Mario Galaxy 3, International Superstar Soccer 64 2, OutRun 3 and the forty-hour-long demo of Tombi that Official PlayStation Magazine gave away in 1998 in order to have a chance at success.

Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 2 EmptyFri 29 Apr 2016 - 16:21

& Hogs of war HD.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 2 EmptyFri 29 Apr 2016 - 16:39

Ah but Jas, HoW isn't in Cappa's top ten any more! And no more Rik Mayall either.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 2 EmptyFri 29 Apr 2016 - 19:51

gjones wrote:
Ready 2 Rumble was great fun. With that, Power Stone, Sonic, Sega Rally, Soul Calibur, House of the Dead 2 and Virtua Fighter 3tb, I think my head would explode if the NX launched with the Nintendo equivalents.

Punch Out NX (Ready 2 Rumble)
Smash Bros NX or a Capcom exclusive  (Power Stone) - *prays for Resi 7*
Super Mario NX (Sonic Adventure) – there needs to be a Mario title at launch
F-Zero/Wave Race – (Sega Rally) – a racer, basically
Exclusive from Namco (Soul Calibur) – or even a new Soul Calibur
A “mature” title (House of the Dead 2) – seeing as lightgun shooters and arcade games in general aren’t system sellers.
A hardcore but ultimately dated title (Virtua Fighter 3tb) – maybe a 2D platformer!

You beat me to it, as I saw Cappa's reply and thought well the DC had a good mix of everything and all were okay. if the NX had similar games but with a Nintendo IP or something that be great.

Back to top Go down
The_Jaster
Din
The_Jaster

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 2 EmptyFri 29 Apr 2016 - 21:55

Balladeer wrote:
Ah but Jas, HoW isn't in Cappa's top ten any more!  And no more Rik Mayall either.

Nah some nutter hacked his account to make that post.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 2 EmptySat 30 Apr 2016 - 7:54

I had a look at that old post again, and it's with a heavy heart that I admit that Hogs of War wouldn't be in my top ten anymore. Damn you, Nintendo, with your good Wii U games. DAMN YOU!

I'd say that there's about twenty really, really good Wii U games - and a few all-time classics among them - but asides from that the library of exclusive games that I have is really uneven. There's a few decent crossovers (like Pokken Tournament and Hyrule Warriors), but much more of what's out there is either a bit muddled and clumsy (The Wonderful 101...Starfox Zero, maybe?), half-hearted (Wii Sports Club, Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash, M&S 2014 Winter Olympic Games), unwanted (Game & Wario, Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival) or just plain terrible (Sonic Boom, Rodea The Sky Soldier).
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 2 EmptyThu 5 May 2016 - 17:42

It's a shame the Wii U did so poorly, because it has a lot of good games but, ultimately. What's a Wii (2) U?

I'm a fan of the Wii U gamepad: It's comfortable, a portable netflix device, and pretty good for most games. It's motion controls are solid, and the screen is pretty decent all things considered.

But the problem is, with the exception of some games like Nintendoland, I don't really think it offered anything useful to games except a nifty map or inventory. Whereas the Wii mote was instantly recognizable in terms of the motion controls it brought to the table across numerous titles, the gamepad will probably best be remembered for making things a bit fiddly - Wonderful 101, Star Fox - or for taking your gaze away from your TV screen - Kirby.

I think for many, the gamepad was a bit of a duff innovation, but also the only thing the Wii U had going for it besides those ever present Nintendo quality games resident in each Ninty Console.
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 2 EmptyThu 5 May 2016 - 18:59

Muss nails it again! Good to see you back on t'forum by the way old chap. Smile
Back to top Go down
Muss
Shiny Shuckle
Muss

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 2 EmptyThu 5 May 2016 - 19:08

Cheers. I lurked a bit, but I just wanted a break from games chat for a while. Same with Twitter, I've scarcely touched it until a couple of days ago.
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 2 EmptyThu 5 May 2016 - 22:43

But this is GNamer: the home of non-games chat. People have got thousands have posts just by arranging podcasts.

~

That was an absolute sin about Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush: a quality game on the wrong console. It didn't do the GamePad or it's (beautiful) visuals any favours. On the other hand, Codename S.T.E.A.M. looked arse on the 3DS and played like it too - why wasn't that a Wii U game? There's a few examples of games like this, games that launched on the wrong console.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 2 EmptySun 22 May 2016 - 10:47

Cappa pointed out the Wii U could get 8 games in June which is a rather lot and could be the last sort of real busy month till November for the console.

I updated the Big List this morning and if all those 8 games and everything that's meant to have come out did (I'm not convinced by Pro Farmer 2016 did) the Wii U will pass 150 games in June at retail in what will be 3 1/2 years.

I can't see the console reaching 200 games, what's people thoughts on the Wii U library is it quality over quantity or would like to have more.

To put it in comparison the N64 got 242, GameCube got 447, Dreamcast 216, Saturn 239, PS4 260odd
Back to top Go down
The Cappuccino Kid
Lumen Sage
The Cappuccino Kid

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 2 EmptySun 22 May 2016 - 11:04

I think it's going to be the last busy month for Wii U at retail altogether. A rhetorical question here, but what else can be expected on Wii U after June 2016? Zelda, Paper Mario, Skylanders and Just Dance are all that I can think of. Will the Wii U even see eight more games at retail after next month? It'll be close to that number either way.

Anyhow, there'll still be a couple of hundred games to come out on the eShop, so complaints about quantity are a bit redundant. The quality isn't as good as it's been in the past.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 2 EmptySun 22 May 2016 - 11:39

A long and drawn-out death rattle indeed. Something tells me there's a bit more life in 'er yet, but you're right about the quality, Cappa - it still concerns me that my favourite Wii U game remains Arkham City. Embarrassed

Last edited by ZeroJones on Sun 16 Oct 2016 - 15:40; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 2 EmptySun 22 May 2016 - 11:57

Yooka-Laylee maybe? He says in despair.
Back to top Go down
Athrun888
Sheegoth
Athrun888

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 2 EmptyMon 23 May 2016 - 8:00

Did someone just say Despair?

We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 2 Despai10
Back to top Go down
Balladeer
DIVINE LONELINESS
Balladeer

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 2 EmptyMon 23 May 2016 - 19:43

DanganRonpa series on Wii U? Yes please.
Back to top Go down
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 2 EmptyFri 16 Sep 2016 - 10:38

I bring you sad news but with the culling of my Wii U collection this year to what I think are some of the top games for the system along with a odd one I may have fired up the Wii U to play (TMS#FE looking at you) and the lack of games coming to the system* that aren't coming to other systems.

With me only turning on the system twice this year to play the very disappointing Star Fox Zero, I've made the decision which won't be liked by many but I know gJones has done it and Muss was talking about it (not sure if he did) but to sell my Wii U.

I will strangely be keeping the Zelda Universe games on it a bit like what I did with Halo & Gears on the 360 after that went to buy the Wii U but the ONE at the time of launch wasn't backwards compatible that they eventually went (Now I could play them all). I don't think the NX will be backwards compatible and with the rumours of SMASH for NX etc I don't see the need to keep the Wii U for SMASH for Wii U as we will maybe get SMASH for NX or eventually SMASH5, the reason I will keep the Zelda's is one because of my Zelda Collection and two I will likely pick up another Wii U down the road for cheap (like £50 or under) but at the moment knowing I can get £111 (GAME) for something I don't use and which will only continue to lose money especially when it's replaced next year.

The console will likely be traded in towards the PSVR if you wondering what I will do with the £111 + games, I could just buy PSVR and not sell the Wii U or just sell all the games part from Zelda's (I did that with the Cube etc back when the 360 came out) but trading in the Wii U would allow me to get all the games I want on PSVR which be like 8 (I do go mad on launches) games but this is very likely that within the next month the only current system I own is a New 3DS in till March.

*Paper Mario does look better but comes out in a busy period with other games and things I'd sooner buy which continues right up to December and by then hopefully we will know about the NX and I'll just be looking forward to that.

Back to top Go down
Jimbob
Bargain Hunter
Jimbob

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 2 EmptySat 17 Sep 2016 - 11:36

This always seems weird to me; I've never sold a games console. Having said that, I gave my Wii to my cousin's kids, because I've got all my games on the WiiU now, and my GameCube still works, so I've not lost the ability to play anything (attachment to hardware always seems a bit weird to me). However I always worry that I'll want to play an old game again, so I keep all my old things.
Having said that, I've never been absolutely desperate to buy a new thing either (my family weren't so well off when I was a kid, so I always assumed that I wouldn't be able to have a new thing straight away). I can understand you selling something if you want to generate cash for a new thing, mas, and if you don't play any games on the WiiU I can understand that it's that (albeit you seem to buy and sell things every 3.2 seconds - Lloyds would be on my back I think!). I don't, personally, know if I'd sell anything to get immediate cash for a VR system, though - I suspect that'll be sold on even quicker Aww! .
Back to top Go down
https://cat-in-eight-bytes.itch.io/
masofdas
The Next Aonuma
masofdas

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 2 EmptySat 17 Sep 2016 - 12:01

Edit as I thought about this a bit more

I do have kind of my launch GameCube along with launch PS4, Wii U and the Mega Drive & Dreamcast (well technically not the same one due to previous ones packing up) for over 10 years.

Three of those systems bring me great joy and memories, the PS4 is the place I play this generation, then theirs the Wii U which doesn't do either and like I said over the last year, maybe even longer then that it's just sat there collecting dust, with the only reason it's not gone already because its a Nintendo system and you know that any time a fantastic game could drop along with it having 3 Zelda Universe games.

Now I agree I do sell some stuff all the time as you can point to the Xbox One for instance which I'm on my 3rd (yet barely lost any money on the first 2) and what could happen to this Xbox One well at the moment nothing as great games are coming (finally), that's the thing the Xbox One has games coming ReCore (Out Now), Forza Horizon 3, Gears of War 4, Halo Wars 2, Phantom Dust HD (maybe we still get the new one as well), Scalebound, Sea of Thieves then I look at the Wii U and it's nothing coming part from Paper Mario and Zelda which will launch you hope on the same day on the NX and be better on the NX.

Will I want to go back and play Paper Mario, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE now that is a question and I'm not sure as TMS #FE might be great but by the time I get to it Persona 5 might be out, which will be better, so why would I play something similar when I have a better thing like it also the NX will hopefully be coming out and that will push the Wii U even further back in mind of something to play on.

I say all that and what I was thinking I would get rid of the Wii U get my near £300 and put towards PSVR or whatever and then down the road if I see a cheap Wii U pick one up again.

Which I've done with the N64 as maybe 3 years ago I sold my N64 collection for just over £350 as if you may have seen from the hidden gem thread in the retro section, I didn't see the need to have one as the best games are elsewhere like OoT which I own the 3D version and three times on Cube, or games have been improved on as take SMASH it's good but then why would you really play it when you've got Melee.

Now with my current N64 which I picked up on a whim as No Man's Sky is worth at the time as a N64 + Goldeneye CEX is selling, I'm like yeah why not get it but now its sat there and I'm thinking why did I get you, yeah it's cool to have and may do some YouTube vids but did I really need a N64 and the answers No.

Do I really need a Wii U and the answer I think is No, but I thought that with the Cube and my Dad told me to keep the system but I sold the games towards the 360 as like you I don't come from a rich family and was told from a young age when I wanted that new bike around 5 or 6, that if I wanted something I had to buy it myself by saving Birthday, Christmas, Easter, Pocket money and maybe even selling stuff and remember when the 360 came out I was 15 that I had to do that then and getting rid of last gen stuff made sense.

And I'm sort still in the same mindset that Wii U is the old system and PSVR is the new system, that Wii U goes to buy new system but now I don't have to do that like I did back with the 360 launch as I can just buy a PSVR and a few games.

With all that said I think I will do like I did with the GameCube, keep the Wii U as it will have 4 Zelda's also I don't own a Wii and I want it to play TP, SS and Crossbow & I have a ton of downloads, and cash in on the games as Bayonetta First Print is £50+ & TMS #FE is £75+ for instance and put that towards PSVR.
Back to top Go down
ZeroJones
I'M SO LONELY
ZeroJones

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 2 EmptySun 16 Oct 2016 - 15:57

I'd like to continue the Wii U post-mortem by talking about the GamePad. The lack of communication about what it was wrecked the console's chances... or was it just a poor concept? What are your thoughts?

To go into a bit more detail about my opinion, Off TV Play is amazing, and something of a blessing for me and my play. The power to leave the TV to someone else whilst I play games is fabulous. As a controller for something you're playing on the TV, the GamePad is shocking (and the Wii U Pro Controller, which is a pretty good pad, is another £50). Clunky and unwieldy, it's not a sexy piece of kit. The NX had better come good in the controller department.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We hardly knew (Wii) U   We hardly knew (Wii) U - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

We hardly knew (Wii) U
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next